Megara 1978Eau de Toilette

Megara (Eau de Toilette) by Le Galion
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Megara (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Le Galion for women and was released in 1978. The scent is floral-animal. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Hyacinth, Peach, Raspberry
Heart Notes Heart NotesLily of the valley, Rose, Gardenia, Jasmine, Iris, Honey, Orchid
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Musk, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Ambergris

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.11.2020.

Feminine elegance against Greek mythology
For a perfume with that name, I expected a rather heavy prelude with dramatic scent progression; the first wife of Hercules was, as is well known, by no means the quick-witted and refined girl who presented us with Disney's cartoon. No noble life at the hero's side, but cruel drama; all her children were killed.....

I had this tale of Hercules' life in Greek mythology in mind when I opened the bottle and expected to be drawn into a maelstrom of dark ingredients.
But far from it!

Stormy surprises me with a lush bouquet of flowers, which is not girded with a velvet ribbon but with a marzipan bar. The charming, light sweetness remains present throughout the entire fragrance; not predominant, but harmoniously underlines the flower splendour. A few mild fruits may also be present; it's like a carefree stroll through a garden in early summer when the flowers and fruit trees have not yet reached full bloom.
Then the feminine touch comes out and it stays!
The woods on my skin are now flattering all over; I think I can smell the cedar and sandalwood in particular. These two are among my favourites and are therefore very familiar to me. Paired with soft roses and a few flowers, which I unfortunately cannot name exactly, there is also an aldehydic note present, which rounds off the whole composition in an earthy way.

An elegant, very feminine perfume that confronts the tragic figure of Megara, portraying her vividly and beautifully in her years as a young woman and not giving a thought to her later, tragic life.
Even as a child I was fascinated by Greek mythology and "devoured" all the legends and stories I could find. Various film adaptations also made my eyes shine and I confess that the winking cartoon adaptation also found my amusement!

But I would like to remember the mythological Megara as a beautiful and young king's daughter who, gently clouded by her favourite perfume, walks towards her future husband Hercules, radiant and happy, to welcome him.

a very rich floral
In my opinion, Megara is a warm and rich floral, slightly animalic in the base notes. It reminds me Clandestine
by Guy Laroche, but less animalic, also quite the kind like Only by Julio Iglesias and in a certain way also Oscar de la Renta vintage.
The parfumeur who created Megara, dedicated it to his father: that may be the reason some people believe that is a perfume for men. It does not exist the variant for men and this is definitely a womanly fragrance, could not even be unisex.

by PhilosHippos
by PhilosHippos
Griechische Verbindung...
by 2020Antiope
Als Verbeugung vor der Mythologie.....
by 2020Antiope

Popular Le Galion

Iris (2014) by Le Galion Essence Noble by Le Galion Eau Noble (2014) by Le Galion Sang Bleu by Le Galion Sortilège (1936) by Le Galion Special for Gentlemen (2014) by Le Galion Aesthete by Le Galion Vetyver (2015) by Le Galion Sortilège (2014) by Le Galion Cuir by Le Galion Cologne (2016) by Le Galion Sortilège Elixir by Le Galion 222 (2014) by Le Galion Snob (2014) by Le Galion Cologne Nocturne by Le Galion Whip (2014) by Le Galion La Rose (2014) by Le Galion L'Âme Perdue by Le Galion Chypre (2020) by Le Galion Whip (1953) by Le Galion