Labdanum 18Ciste 18 (2006) Eau de Parfum

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo

Labdanum 18 is a popular perfume by Le Labo for women and was released in 2006. The scent is powdery-animal. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Maurice Roucel

Cistus, Civet, Castoreum, Musk, Hawthorn, Vanilla, Birch tar, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Gurjun balsam, Tonka bean

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 28.10.2018

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Round and portable
A creamy perfume, warm and round, with a microscopic touch of abstract plastic that gives it just the right counterweight not to be too sweet.

I had had Le Labo come with three samples, and because their bottles and labels are so neutral, I no longer knew whether they were women's or men's perfumes. Jasmin 17 was clearly more female for me, because of its proximity to the scent of flowers. Vetiver 46 unisex, rather male. And Labdanum 16 was completely neutral for me, so unisex.

Women can use Labdanum 16 as a ladies' perfume, men as a men's perfume.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Soft, Powdery and Sweet
Labdanum 18 by Le Labo is very powdery, delicate- still, it could be worn by a man who likes sweet powdery scents, like the original Karl Lagerfield cologne for men, but is also ladylike in some ways. I would never buy a full bottle of this myself because I think it is about un par -note wise with many other cheaper baby powder dominant fragrances that are a fraction of the cost. This is somewhere between starting off as Elizabeth Arden's True Love (I know, right?! Again) tiptoeing into brief interlude on a Tauer L'air du desert Moracain flippantly drifting into a beautiful masterful Shalimar skeleton crew-type drydown (spices, civet and citrus sold separately).

Projection is also nothing to write home about it's a baby soft skin scent that reminds me of a product from the 70s called "Sardoettes" that was a disposable paper toilette with a scented mineral oil to be applied fresh out of the shower as a skin moisturizer. We used to love these and mourned their loss when we discovered they were obsolete- now I can take my sample combine it with mineral oil soak some toilettes and apply after showering for a trip down memory lane, or not bother. Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly, enjoying my free sample, particular because I am having a severe allergic reaction to lilac and Lavender this week. This fragrance is perfect for the office because it won't set off anyone else's allergies. The base provides a little sensuous patchouli and Tonka and as it begins to drydown it feels very comfortable, natural and low maintenance. When I was studying wine chemistry and Sensory analysis, we used to have long and funny tasting classes...some wines were exceptional and some were dismal and some fell in the middle of the road, we used to wait for the head professor (a raging drunk) to declare these middle of the road bottles as "Imminently Drinkable, totally unremarkable" and then, throwing off the shackles of snobbery and intellectualism, the Bacchanalia would commence. This is the fragrance version and I declare it "Imminently wearable, totally unexceptional".
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Cuddly Labdanum Amber
The reviews for Le Labo CISTE 18/ LABDANUM 18 are really all over the map, and not without reason: this is an unexpectedly complex perfume. The opening salvo of baby powderish-diaper scent is bound to turn a lot of people off. But shortly thereafter a significant animalic facet emerges, apparently due to both castoreum and civet. Now there's a dirty duo!!!! The labdanum and vanilla together produce a very straightforward amber scent--that is, after all, one of the more common recipes for amber.

My best guess is that people are variably sensitive to these three quite different facets of CISTE 18. That's why some are complaining that this just smells like a talcum powder facsimile; others maintain that this is a skanky musk scent à la Frédéric Malle MUSC RAVAGEUR; some actually deny the presence of labdanum; and some characterize this as an everyday amber perfume.

It is all of these--and more--in undulating waves! I like this unexpectedly (given the name) complex creation. I love labdanum, so we were already off to a good start. The animalic facet is not overwhelming to me, and I do not believe that this smells like MUSC RAVAGEUR at all--which is a good thing, in my book!
jtd
vanilla amber
Cistus labdanum is a classic amber material and has many facets to it. I had hoped that the le Labo minimalist approach would lead to interesting results. Cistus is so rich that even a spare composition using it could have complexity, and cistus can align with so many other materials with beautiful results. Unfortunately, I found Labdanum 18 quite flat and uninteresting. It starts sweet yet without flavor, and travels quickly to a matter-of-fact powdery vanilla amber. I smell a bit of the civet that might add dimension, but it goes nowhere. I can’t say I actively dislike it, but I have no interest in wearing or paying for it.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Glorious incense
Labdanum 18 is yet another fragrance following in the trend of sweet, ambery incense scents.

Animalistic, but a little tame too, Labdanum 18 is beautiful. It has that dirtiness and rawness found in fragrances like Oud 27, Rose 31 and Patchouli 24, however this fragrance is much smoother, more feminine and sensual.

I'm tending to compare Labdanum 18 to Donna Karan's Essence Labdanum, although I find the latter a touch too linear and weak. This fragrance in particular has a deliciously sweet smokiness, which turns to powder towards the drydown.

The scent is minimalist yet effective. From all of Le Labo's oriental offerings, Labdanum 18 is the most feminine and incense-y.

I really loved the progression from the top notes to the heart, however in the drydown, while this fragrance still captivates me, I find it a little too predictable. My only gripe being that it shares many similarities with other incense-based scents.

In regards to longevity, Labdanum 18 does last considerably well. I found this fragrance very enjoyable on the day that I wore it, relishing in its smoothness and its exotic aura.
Labdanum 18
Le Labo's Labdanum 18 is confusing and interesting. It is quite surprising since there is both a very young and "old" feel to it. It smells like talcum power, but at the same time, the use of civet makes it heavier. I like this smell, but not for me. It isnt "young" enough. For some reason I keep wanting to compare it to Guerlain's Shalimar, because of the musky, "animal" smell to it.
I have to add that Labdanum combines this innocent baby image (with the talcum power) and the very sensual, raw, straightforward civet smell. Its an in-your-face perfume like, "come get me", but the powdery scent of it makes it quite subtle and complex at the same time.
Definitely try it. I enjoy Le Labo's perfumes, but this Labdanum 18 really stands out- it doesn't smell like the other ones from that brand.
About the longevity; the staff at the store told me it was super long lasting, the most long lasting of the brand, but for some reason: I was super disappointed to notice that it would literally last 30 minutes on my skin. Seriously. Maybe they didn't compound mine properly. But still, I have to admit that I love this perfume and I wish it would suit me better. I guess I just don't want to smell like this enough...

Hermesh 3 years ago
Slightly floral, slightly (background-)woody, slightly animalistic, slightly sweet balsamic. Beautiful and well-balanced.
Bottle 5.0

• by Taskphorce by Taskphorce
  • by Vlad by Vlad
  • by KatRedhead by KatRedhead

Popular Le Labo

Bergamote 22 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Rose 31 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Santal 33 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Patchouli 24 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Oud 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Vetiver 46 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Iris 39 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Thé Noir 29 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Ylang 49 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Lys 41 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Poivre 23 by Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Cuir 28 by Le Labo Vanille 44 by Le Labo Jasmin 17 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Neroli 36 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Ambrette 9 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Gaiac 10 by Le Labo Baie Rose 26 by Le Labo