Mousse de Chêne 30 2017

Mousse de Chêne 30 by Le Labo
8.5 / 10 37 Ratings
Mousse de Chêne 30 is a popular perfume by Le Labo for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

MossMoss PatchouliPatchouli EvernylEvernyl Clearwood™Clearwood™ CinnamonCinnamon PimentoPimento Pink pepperPink pepper

Submitted by Greifswald, last update on 25.01.2023.
The scent is exclusively available in Amsterdam.

5 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Top Review 13
Precarious paradox

This will be difficult - for all concerned
No wonder, the dubious Cyphre-Le Labo costs the whole world, is incredibly exclusive and at first sight not really special
Mousse de Chene 30 throws around a multitude of its 30 correlates right at the beginning. We promptly find ourselves in the middle of the forest - on a rainy day. Dark clouds and branches swallow single bergamot sunrays and plunge them into the undergrowth. Moisture. Oak moss and patchouli inserts fade to spicy cinnamon and bay leaves. A snappy bush! Thorns.

You should get through the green-fresh, slightly spicy-strong exposition, even if you are left standing in the Isfarkand rain. It's worth the wait. Inimitably, MdC 30 awakens consolidation potentials of individual nuances in the cool-warm green spectrum of the forest over time. Crazy.

The new-green-hot beginning gives way to a peppery creaminess. The biting shrub becomes a mossy tree. The rain gives way, thick drops run off the leaves, burning in deep puddles of steaming earth. It is exactly the moment you catch when you step out of the Baie 19 tree hollow after the last watering and this one dancing ray of sunshine hits you, blinds you for a moment and is gone forever. Recap. Short heat gives way to cooler wort - and vice versa. A paradox, ambiguous, schizophrenic and yet by no means schizophrenic! The austere coda bay leaves off, calm, OrmondeJayn's forest pepper smoulders. And then.
Silence.

Very helpful Review 4
Well....
Well... let's divide this review in two parts.

The Smell : after 2 seconds you get a soft chocolaty earthy ( but polished ) patchouly after that the synthetic oakmoss starts coming soflty and will never dominate completly during the life of the composition. After 5 seconds something ( probably the pink pepper which here is soft and sweet ) starts envelopping the composition bringing it to a unisex lemony frizzy and mascara ish smell which smells feminine to me as it gets warmer on the skin and so it stays for hours.

Overall : I think I am not a fan of LeLabo, they kind of want to work on a composition and while doing something nice they kind of stop and make a step back for instead adding something feminine so to sell more ..or this is what I feel smelling their fragrances. It has a modest quality but no character no emotions, does not make you dream or change your mood, is just "ok" . It has a very designer character of something done without love or passion. No Thank you ! It's a pass for me.

3.5
Helpful Review 4
Hope dies last....
I know I'm not supposed to hurt anyone's feelings when I'm commenting. And I'm gonna put it all in a very good way. But it's just on my mind to write a comment about this.
Whenever I try to love Le Labo I get somehow disappointed. Maybe I shouldn't, but hope dies last I've been feverishly looking forward to August / September where the City Exclusives are finally available.
And Mousse de Chene was at the top of my wish list. I love oakmoss. And I know what it smells like. I also know that Le Labo fragrances don't necessarily smell like what they're called. Or often only the top note was designed accordingly.
But this one, no, this one has nothing to do with oakmoss. For me, anyway. If there was a top note, it was gone after about 30 seconds with me. I can't even describe what she was like anymore. What remained with I had to wash up. Urgently. A base I've known from other fragrances. Something on dark spicy made with cumin note. With in this case unbearable Sillage for me.
I'm really disappointed.
I hope all the other testers / porters don't get it like this!

Taskphorce
Difficult to describe but...
I must admit, it took a bit of research and repeated wearings to break down this fragrance in simpler terms. It was one of the most difficult scents for me to describe but I think I've nailed it in "Plain English."
If you have ever had the chance to sample oak moss absolute like I have, you would immediately recognize the distinct aromatic qualities in this perfume. The oak moss accord is quite pronounced here but in the tenacious synthetic form (Evernyl.) It can be best described as a very warm, dark, slightly sweet, rich, earthy, creamy-woody aroma. Soon after the opening, you immediately notice that this fragrance isn't as dark as you think it would be. There is an undeniable fresh spicy, zesty, rosy nuance (known as pink pepper) that we see so much in Geza Schoen's work (Ormonde Jayne Black Gold, Isfarkand, Escentric Molecules) and even some similarity with Le Labo's Chicago City Exclusive, Baie Rose 26. I immediately recognized this note from the initial spray as I am a huge fan of Geza Schoen. But, the spices seem to come from various angles here. It's fresh yet also very dynamic. A balanced blend of Bay oil and Cinnamon creates a distinctive mild clove-like, spicy-warmth that lingers throughout the dry down. All in all, this fragrance is very warm/comforting, addictive, woody, creamy, smooth, fresh and spicy!! Mousse de Chene 30 will get plenty of use this fall and winter.

Overall rating 9/10

Early 20th Century
When I look up the notes of early fragrance, men's and women's, I see oakmoss come up often.

I'm guessing this fragrance is what very early men's fragrances may have smelled like, OAKMOSS-Y, the real stuff and plenty of it.

To me, this is a man's aroma, straight forward, maybe astringent, biting. It sure isn't fruity, gourmandish, citrus and or aquatic.

People mention it's lofty price point, the only defense I can offer is that this might contain real oakmoss though I don't know if that's still legal or acceptable?

All I smell for the first 6 hours or so is oakmoss and bay leaf, not till hours later does it settle down to some patchouli and maybe a woodsy note.

More reviews

1 short view on the fragrance
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
After a pungent spicy-green opening, this powdery/dry, fresh and clean spicy-Chypre, settles to a solid earthy-woody base. More masculine.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

5 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Le Labo

Bergamote 22 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Thé Noir 29 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Santal 33 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Baie 19 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Rose 31 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Vetiver 46 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo AnOther 13 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Lys 41 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Musc 25 by Le Labo Tonka 25 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Tabac 28 by Le Labo Patchouli 24 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Gaiac 10 by Le Labo Baie Rose 26 by Le Labo Vanille 44 by Le Labo Iris 39 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Ylang 49 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Oud 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo