Oud 27 2009 Eau de Parfum

Oud 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo
Oud 27 (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Le Labo for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

OudOud
Atlas cedarAtlas cedar
FrankincenseFrankincense
PatchouliPatchouli
Black pepperBlack pepper
SaffronSaffron
Gaiac woodGaiac wood

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 23.12.2021.

Oud 27
The first new worldwide fragrance since Le Labo was created, Oud 27 uses its title note as a point of departure into the richly ornamented, dark and luscious world of amber perfumes, weaving a story so multi-faceted and vivid that it might be an olfactory equivalent of one of Scheherazade's tales. The vibrant darkness falls with the very first accord, an extravagantly opulent mix of Atlas cedar and incense. The dry, resinous blend is brightened and softly sweetened by saffron, the golden spiciness of which glistens within the nocturnal fabric of Oud 27 like a constellation of far away stars. Gaiac and patchouli further deepen and enrich the balsamic top notes and lead the scent into an even more sensual territory. At once expansive and wild, yet surprisingly intimate and soft, the scent is beautifully androgynous and would befit both Scheherazade and Shahryar. The creators call Oud 27, One Thousand and One Nights, bottled. We are so mesmerized by this oriental masterpiece that we would wear it for one thousand and one nights in a row and not miss another perfume.
FvSpee
Wood from the Labo - Part 1 (Oud)
Apart from the unbearable tropical-humid heat of Berlin, it was probably also the nervelessness of the notoriously poor shelf life of all Le Labo fragrances I have tried so far that led me to Neroli 36 here instead of a serious review only a borderdebil-demideliranten verbiage could deliver. Unfortunately, my hope is that the wood fragrances will last longer than the citric ones
When spraying on about half a vial of a sample each, i.e. 0.75 ml or about 10 small sprayers on the neck and wrist (I don't find it stingy, do I?), I would actually have to lie, if I wanted to say otherwise, both with "Oud 27" and with "Santal 33" after four hours of scythe, end with funny, shift in the shaft. And that means a very close residual fragrance restaurant. Projection is well past. My nose is fine, as it appears when testing other scents (and because my wife confirms my findings), the samples are not superimposed. What are they doing? Incorporate a secret ingredient into all your fragrances that activates four hours after application and triggers fragrance self-destruction?

I don't care, I won't let you get me down and I'll continue to comment unabashedly, even if I take revenge now. Because I'm doing the same thing with my comments now and I'm using extender! I'm going to recycle this introductory part for Santal 33
Now to the point: The list of ingredients with their three woods (oud, guaiac, cedar) and all sorts of usual suspects (incense and patchouli in particular) sounds like Brutalo: Full with the wooden baseball bat pulled over the skull and then smoked with some dark stuff. Yatagan has captured this with a great statement, he feels the scent exactly the same. Many others similar here.

I'm not. Oud 27 first blows a handful of dry sawdust into my face; whether it is oud or a sawn Ivar shelf from Ikea is less obvious to me. After the shock has subsided after about a minute, this subsides and the candidate becomes untypically friendly and soft for an oud scent.

I don't find anything dark-threatening here (the darkest thing I can think of here is nicely spicier but also a bit sweet forest honey). Incense at most unburned, held in a sweet, soft hand, so that some aroma escapes from the resin under the influence of body heat. Animalism at worst briefly like a wet dog, but mostly more like the imaginary body odor of a fluffy squirrel baby (isn't that sweet-sooty?). And not like what one imagines with Oud-Animalik in such a way (rutting Wapitihirsche, tiger piss or whatever). Wood most likely like moist, green young wood. And quite definitely, as many a pre-reviewer has already noticed, an unspecific, but also unmistakable, gentle, almost creamy, fruity note. Maybe it's from saffron in combination with some chemistry (ups, Le Labo supposedly only has natural essences, but why are they called Le Labo and not Le Plantage or something?), maybe it's that among the 27 ingredients (which aren't all named by name) there's also a plum or something like that hidden somewhere.

Conclusion: An annoyingly ephemeral, but quite beautiful saffron oud, surprisingly good-natured, honeyed (or honeyed), moist woody, fluffy-plumpy, in view of the list of ingredients.
Warm tropical wood
Tropical terrain - 40 degrees in the shade - sultry-hot.
A wooden house with a stone floor provides shade and an almost lukewarm draught under the canopy. Inside, the light gets lost between dark tangles in the walls. The wood is young, cut a few years ago in the jungle and too freshly built. So it still distorts, forms cracks for shimmering light and fills the rooms with warm scents of tropical wood.

Oud 27 was for me an unexpected, fascinating journey into the past to Brazil where I lived many years ago for some time in this house. Since this discovery, Oud 27 has become an absolute favorite.

The scent opens quite violently, the idea of the horse cannot be completely dismissed from the hand - but certainly in a decent frame. Easy to use for office use. The durability can't quite keep up with Santal 33 and drifts towards the end of the day a bit into the sweet for my taste. Still Top!

Greenfaerie
Nice oud but too floral perhaps?
Oud 27 is super skanky at first, like pure, fresh, sharp, cat pee, coupled with really pungent oud. I like it a lot, but at the same time there is a floralcy to it that I'm not sure I jive with. I wish it was just woody and skanky, and not floral. I have seen rose mentioned on other sites (I do not see it above), and rose is definitely what I smell. It smells a little too much like an Arabian fragrance mixed with some kind of old-fashioned rose fragrance, like Tea Rose (sorry folks, I never liked Tea Rose. It smelled like dried garden weeds to me, and too mature). I would need to wear it a few more times to decide whether a full bottle is wanted or not. I think it's an amazing fragrance, even if not to my taste. Like 9/10 amazing, so try it if you are curious.

Does Authentic Oud smell like Bandaids and Shoe Polish?
I'm a real gringo when it comes to oud. My concept derives solely from the perfumes in which it is said to figure and which I happen to have sniffed. My suspicion is that Le Labo OUD 27 is the answer to those who so often complain about oudless oud perfumes. The heavy, rubbery and almost harsh demeanor of this perfume leads me to believe that this may in fact be the real thing. Why else make a perfume which smells as this one does, if not to satisfy the yearnings for an authentic oud experience?

The naysayers have compared OUD 27 to Bandaids and shoe polish, and I do not disagree. This perfume may serve as a litmus test to true oud appreciation. I suspect that this would probably smell great blended with a powerful dose of rose, but as an unadorned presentation of oud--or so it seems--I do not find it very pleasant at all.

What I have learned through this Le Labo oud experience is that I probably need some more training before I'll be able to appreciate the real thing--assuming that this is genuine oud and not simply some overwrought and ill-conceived synthetic attempt at mimicry...

For now, I think it's safe to say that I still prefer the wimpy Westernized oud perfumes.

Skanky love
Oud is a note that is relatively new to me. As I strolled through the department store, I noticed Oud 27 and thought that it would be the perfect moment to experience oud, which is either a love it or hate it.

Oud 27 opened quite strong and edgy, however despite its rather loud entrance, I sensed that I was falling in love already.

In my words, Oud 27 smells like rich, resinous woods with a touch of spicy earthiness and fragrant smoke. It's not your typical run-of-the-mill type scent, it is very unique and sits more on the masculine side of things.

I'm a girly-girl, however I love wearing this. The scent makes me feel in control and sexy, in a bad-girl way.

This fragrance has a somewhat leathery feel, which reminds me of Bandit by Robert Piguet, however I wouldn't say that they are very alike in scent. There really isn't anything like it.

The earthiness does create an almost dirty feel, which can be off-putting for some. Oud 27 is very raw and I would say, shocking. It actually smells a little bit like sex.

I adore Le Labo's Oud 27. It is absolute perfection to my nose. The amazing lasting strength and sillage only adds to this fragrance's impressiveness.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bottle of this sitting on my dresser very soon.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
Initially pungent smoky-spicy, this rather challenging animalic/creamy leathery fragrance slowly settles to a more gentle earthy-woody base.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
More for musk fans than Oud fans. It's an explicit dirty musk. I like it but I rarely wear it to avoid criticism from the people around me.
SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 2 years ago
Yeah, i can't... smh
Pietros921Pietros921 4 years ago
One of the best smelling perfume I ever came across !
OdysseusOdysseus 4 years ago
I love all kinds of Oud... and even I struggled with this one. The Civet makes it too feral. Do you want to smell like a dangerous wildcat?

by AmyAmy
by AmyAmy
by JPhx
by JPhx
by Taskphorce
by Taskphorce

Popular Le Labo

Bergamote 22 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Thé Noir 29 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Santal 33 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Rose 31 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Vetiver 46 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Musc 25 by Le Labo Mousse de Chêne 30 by Le Labo Baie 19 by Le Labo Tonka 25 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Lys 41 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Patchouli 24 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Gaiac 10 by Le Labo Tabac 28 by Le Labo AnOther 13 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Baie Rose 26 by Le Labo Iris 39 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Aldehyde 44 by Le Labo Vanille 44 by Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo