Rose 31 (2006) Eau de Parfum

Rose 31 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo
Rose 31 (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Le Labo for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Daphné Bugey

Rose absolute, Rose essence, Cumin, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Cistus, Gaiac wood, Musk, Oud, Vetiver

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 15.10.2018

Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
The "Human" Rose...
Now, this is one I like very much. There is something about it which strikes the perfect balance between beautiful and dirty, sensual and soft, dry and wet. Rose 31 has all of those things.

I love rose fragrances, but I know they can sometimes be hard to wear. This is one I think everybody would like. It mixes Caraway, Myrrh, Vetiver, Woods & Spices with the Rose. The Rose here is full and prominent yet at the same time soft. It doesn't feel overwhelming in any way, nor does it scream "Rose!" in your face.

It's one I definitely appreciate. A very beautiful fragrance which is worth a try from anyone who wants a different take on Rose, or who doesn't like Rose fragrances in general. This may be a good starting fragrance for that.

Rose 31 is the very first fragrance I've tried from the house of Le Labo. I tried it along with the shower gel, shampoo, conditioner & body lotion. In fact, those alone are enough to perfume your body for the entire day! I recommend this one and it has made me interested to try more from the Le Labo range. Really good.
Scent 8.0/10
Men Can't Have It
Just because they put a male label on it, doesn't mean we women are going to stay away. I'll never forget the day I walked into Saks, a virtually new perfumista, and was greeted by a Le Labo counter I'd never noticed before. Shopping intentions forgotten, I went over, sat down and was soon gasping at Rose 31 on the paper strip plastered to my nose. Perhaps it was partly the pepper and spices not listed in our pyramid. Rose 31 has "Grasse rose, cumin, pepper, clove, nutmeg, olibanum, cedar, amber, gaiac wood, oud, cistus, vetiver and animalic notes" per luckyscent. Its easy to smell the cumin and the pepper and I thought, "Do I really want to smell like curry?" but the rose and the frankincense and the oud and the musk expanded into my nostrils and I thought, "Yes, I do want to smell like a dish of curried musky rose, I do, I do!" Rose 31 is one of those scents that make logic pointless. The salesperson looked askance when I said I wanted it and whispered, "It's for men, you know." I said, "Too bad, I'm buying it!" She grinned at me conspiratorially when I also bought Oud 27 (since surrendered to hubby who loves, loves it). To reassure her, I also bought Lys 41, after all I am a female. What else could I do? Rose 31's bold pulchritude announced, "Buy me, I am yours! Get my sister and brother, too." Obediently I wear it now and then to feel beautifully curried.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
It's Manly Madness, but They've Done It Right!
Yes, indeed! This is a Rose for Men! I knew immediately upon application that this was not for my delicate feminine skin. Not only is it not femme- it's not really unisex...I am astonished because I even consider Fahrenheit to be unisex and wore it for years- gender labels be damned. But this is truly a high class masculine take on the Rose. It's rose, but without a hint of sweetness any where If I were working at Le Labo (Dream of most magical dreams!!!) in the Branding & Marketing Dept. or Chemistry Lab (I'll climb my way up- I swear!), I would have called this one Rosewood 31. Right off the bat...Chopard "Madness" came to mind! Pink pepper is replaced by cumin, here lighter on lychee and a more earnest attempt on the Gaiac wood- but these two are kissing cousins. Rose 31, begins a more polite refined cousin of Madness that isn't checked out on a 'day pass' from the sanitarium. But that same musky deep burgundy rose and gentle spice moving into a rosewood finish is there. Much respect. This starts out so dry and dignified, not a hint of 'the vapors'. The musk keeps intensifying going more into a Nasomatto tirade of brutish bravado. A few hours later, this turns dark, devious and peppery on my skin, perfect for eveningwear. This is too sexy for my Toyota Prius... and fluffy white dog...more appropriate for the 58' black Jaguar my husband drives and the piercing dark eyes & sleek long legs of the black shiny greyhound-pitbull mix that runs the house demanding everything and getting everything he demands. In brief- must love dry pencil shaving cedarwood, pink peppery note, rosewood, manly 'Afghano' musk (not white musk, not Egyptian musk either!)and the fresh scent of true herbal rose without sweetener to pull this one off.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Deliciously spicy rose
Le Labo is fast becoming one of my favourite niche fragrance houses. I am already a huge fan of Oud 27, so while I was on a massive rose search, I decided to give Rose 31 a try.

I tested this fragrance knowing full well that it was a male fragrance. Many female celebrities however, delight in wearing Rose 31, so I was game enough to spray it liberally on my skin.

What an interesting take on rose. It is neither too floral nor too masculine. Rose is actually the most subtle note in this composition, with the woods, spices and earthy notes playing for dominance.

Somewhat animalic in its nature, this is dirty, raw rose. The best description I can give is that of a delicate rose mushed into the ground, smoothered in mud, set on fire and drizzled with resins and spices.

Dark, but light-hearted at the same time, Rose 31 is a little bit like Tauer's Incense Rose, but not so smokey. The scent itself, despite its boldness, never becomes too overpowering. I do believe that this fragrance would work well as both a casual and formal scent.

Well, after testing this fragrance I would not categorise it as a strict rose soliflore, nor would I say it is for men only. Surprisingly, rose haters would probably really enjoy Le Labo's Rose 31.

Hermesh 3 years ago
Woods and vetiver are so finely tuned that they form a pleasant soft background for rose. Cumin adds some more spice. Fine and exciting!+1
Bottle 5.0

• by Taskphorce by Taskphorce
  • by Viola8 by Viola8
  • by JPhx by JPhx

Popular Le Labo

Bergamote 22 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Rose 31 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Santal 33 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Patchouli 24 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Oud 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Vetiver 46 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Iris 39 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Thé Noir 29 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Ylang 49 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Lys 41 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Poivre 23 by Le Labo Cuir 28 by Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Vanille 44 by Le Labo Jasmin 17 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Neroli 36 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Ambrette 9 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Gaiac 10 by Le Labo Baie Rose 26 by Le Labo