Vanille 44 (2007)

Vanille 44 by Le Labo

Vanille 44 is a perfume by Le Labo for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is resinous-gourmand. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Bergamot, Frankincense, Mandarin, Gaiac wood, Bourbon vanilla, Muscenone®, Pipol, Hedione

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 27.07.2018

The scent is available exclusively in Paris.

4.0 7.0 8.0/10

"You smell fine!"
If a man is as fond of the delicate, the fine, the transparent as the perfumer Alberto Morillas should be, then this nose will certainly not be expected to create a vanilla scent, one thing: that the result would be dense and thick, difficult to overblown, sweet to almost caries-promoting, as is often the case with vanilla fragrances.
As we love it in the time of the cold, dark, when the days are short and the nights even longer, when the soul needs light, security and warmth - then these scents are ultimate comfort, then they wrap us in a cocoon of Ichbinda and confidence, of warmth and candlelight.
This is wonderful, I like to wear it - but not in this time, in this hot summer, which is dry and brittle, which lets plants wither before time and trees reach yellow leaves.
This summer, in which hardly any rain falls, even "Eau des Missions" is already too much, this vanilla, which is so gentle and tender, so reserved and friendly, that I was sure so far that nothing could top it, not in the hot season.
But even it now seems to me too heavy, too dense, too much vanilla halt - vanilla, seemed to me, probably just does not work at consistently high degrees, not for me at least, not this year.
But that's what I thought, because I didn't know her yet, the vanilla of Morillas, of Alberto, who created scents like Giòs Acquas, like Jacobs Daisys, Narcisos Essences and Lauders Pleasures - finely woven webs, playful and fleetingly tender, that barely touch the skin they wear, and that are never one thing: insignificantly decadent.

"Vanilla 44" is a typical Morillas - finely woven, ethereally transparent, with a clear edge and contour.
Already in the beginning, vanilla mates unsweetly with tart wood, cedar wood for me, pencil wood - light and air flood through this fragrance, which is bright, but not radiant, which possesses warmth without being warm.
No symbiosis with the skin - "Vanilla 44" maintains distance, surrounds me like a veil, like a fog, ozonically almost, aquatically almost, yet wooden-solid under the foot, tangible and at the same time intangible in its transparency, into which smoke still mixes, consecrated smoke, quite fine too, not oppressive, not sacral.
A fragrance for me that stays with me, that stays close to me, very close - so close that only those who can be close to me, who can touch me, who can embrace me, who can nestle in my arm, on my lap, on my neck can perceive it.
"You smell fine" Laura signs, still very small - and on some days it doesn't have to be much more than that.

PS: Ergoproxy - thank you!
5.0 5.0 7.5 5.0/10

In a Sea of Vanillas, This underwhelms
It is not that there is anything wrong with this fragrance. But it is very similar to the more moderately priced Eau Duelle by Diptyque and it has about the same sillage, and longevity. So my question is simply...why bother? This is no redefining of the concept of vanilla, nor does it take vanilla to new dizzying heights of ecstasy like Mona Di Orio's "Nombres d'Or Vanille", Bois 1920 La Vaniglia, Guerlain's "Spiritueuse Double Vanille", not even ground breaking like Calypso St. Barth's "Lea", Bvlgari "Black" or Dior "Addict"- a phenomenally sexy powerhouse vanilla, IMHO. This is just like Duelle in a different bottle at twice the price. Non, Merci. I don't think I would wear this out of the house without layering it with something, anything else. I think this needs a bit of black coffee, lactones, dark chocolate and some Shiraz.
5.0 5.0 5.0/10

Drseid
A Scandalously High Cost For This Very Average Vanilla...
Vanille 44 opens with a combination of aldehydes and a very subtle orange and bergamot laced incense. The aldehydes here do not burn your nose like some and are well-controlled. Shortly following the orange incense open a non-powdery, moderately sweet vanilla bean note takes center stage while the incense remains into the heart in a supporting role. The scent stays pretty linear through the end at this point, with only slight woody accents of guaiac invading the vanilla dominant accord. Projection is nearly non-existent and longevity is average.

Vanille 44 is a pleasant enough scent, but it is far from a stunner. The vanilla bean note used by Le Labo smells quite natural, but is a tad too sweet for my tastes. I do like how the aldehydes at the top are well-controlled, but that does not counter the relatively mundane nature of the scent, nor its ridiculously high price tag. Those looking at buying this scent should first check out Les Nombres d'Or Vanille by Mona di Orio (among others) as it is half the price and more than three times as interesting. Vanille 44 gets a very average 2.5 stars out of 5 and an "avoid" recommendation, the latter due to its price.
5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Powdery, unsweetened vanilla
Vanille 44 initially takes you by surprise because it's not the vanilla you may expect. It's feminine and delicious just like vanilla scents always are, but not so girly and sweet.

I would describe Vanille 44 as being a dusty, smokey and milky vanilla, very subtle and natural smelling on the skin. It's the perfect vanilla for those that don't want to end up smelling like a cupcake or something that belongs in an ice cream cone.

I was drawn to this fragrance due to its incense note, and while this fragrance is smokey to a certain extent, it's not particularly exotic or mysterious. The vanilla is the main note here, however like I mentioned before, the sweetness is absent. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Vanille 44 settled on the skin very much like a natural, musky skin scent. It's rather pretty and oddly sensual.

The subtlety was a shock at first seeming that Le Labo is known for their heavy hitting scents. I also think the lack of lasting power leaves much to be desired, however I am impressed with this little number. The exclusivity and the expensive price tag is a little irritating, however if it had been more available it may have lost much of its mystery.

I'm not willing to buy a full bottle of this, especially at nearly $500 a bottle, however I much prefer this fragrance over other non-sweet vanillas like Annick Goutal's Vanille Exquise. It's certainly worth a try if sweet vanillas give you a headache or generally make you retch.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Njdeb
A vanilla both fresh and cozy
Vanille 44 opens with a sensational woody vanilla aroma. This is what I wanted Serge Lutens Une Bois Vanille to be. The citruses contribute a sweet freshness and lightness to the scent.

This is a natural smelling, slightly balmy vanilla that doesn't really strike me as gourmand in the cake, cookie or candy sense. The pronounced woods in the beginning do subside very quickly, however, leaving behind a soft creamy and slightly airy vanilla. Although not pronounced, I do detect the frankincense in the base, which can actually serve as quite a sweet and fresh balsamic basenote.

Although Vanille 44 rounds out to a very pleasant and cozy scent, I have to say that I am disappointed that the woods faded so quickly. I was so taken with the initial smell of this fragrance that I wish it hadn't been so short-lived.

Good longevity and sillage.

Helpful Review
Fresh and sweet vanille
This is a musky sweet vanilla with woody elements.I get woody sweet note of "mastic", yes, the extrait of mastic tree that grows in Greece.
It is very prominent indeed.May be this be the guaiac wood note?
Any way,this vanille is not overall fruity but very musky.It's not either bakery/foody -gourmandish- the right term but fresh and sweet at the same time.
I don't get a very intense incense note at all.It's a bit of everything, that's called balance.Good lasting power.
Nice elegant perfume .I 'd like to have more than a sample for sure.

Hermesh 3 years ago
Pleasantly unsweet vanilla with dry, powdery woodiness and grassy, slightly smoky freshness (with occasionally synthetic accents).+2
5.0
5.0
6.0

by Baloma
by Baloma
by Taskphorce
by Taskphorce

Popular Le Labo

Bergamote 22 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Santal 33 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Rose 31 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Patchouli 24 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Oud 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Vetiver 46 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Thé Noir 29 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Iris 39 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Lys 41 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Ylang 49 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger 27 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Poivre 23 by Le Labo Neroli 36 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Ambrette 9 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Jasmin 17 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Cuir 28 by Le Labo AnOther 13 (Eau de Parfum) by Le Labo Vanille 44 by Le Labo Gaiac 10 by Le Labo