OpoponaxImpérial Opoponax

Opoponax / Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

Opoponax is a popular perfume by Les Néréides for women. The release year is unknown. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesOrange zest, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesGrasse jasmine, Hawthorn, Sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesMyrrh, Vanilla, Musk, Benzoin

Submitted by DeGe53, last update on 17.11.2019.

7.0 9.0 8.5/10

Expectations fulfilled
That's exactly how I imagined it; that's the sentence I wrote under my notes when I first tested it 15 months ago. After initial doubts about his sweetness nine months ago the bottle with the two putt angels was allowed to move in at my place.
My Impérial Opoponax EdT starts immediately powdery, in the beginning still bitter - citric, almost slightly bitter. Sweet, though. In my notes, after the first quarter of an hour, the adjectives resinous, powdery, spicy, warm, opulent, but not intrusive, soft are written Afterwards it becomes quite sweetish, remains at the same time dry - powdery. I can't say whether a honeyed jasmine or even a very sweet hawthorn plays a major role here. Cause I don't smell any of it one at a time. Rather Opoponax has a wonderful cuddly and enveloping effect on me. A real vanilla rises into my nose, warm and sunny, or is it rather the slightly chocolate benzoin, which is so similar to vanilla? At the same time an ambered wood powders dry - velvety with it. The sweetness is well balanced in the meantime, the whole scent calms down and gets an earthy depth. It remains dry - powdery - resinous - woody, quite oriental in direction.
Then the fragrance develops even softer, almost creamy - powdery, which I then attribute to benzoin. Again and again a spicy - warm smoke swath glides past from the myrrh, that does well and is simply beautiful. Sweetie's totally okay now. This soft balsamic base of myrrh and benzoin gives me inner peace, optimism and balance. This may sound boring like pink cotton wool for over-excited nerves, but believe me, there are also many sensual and pleasurable - bewitching elements there.
I like to drill my nose into my forearm the next day to enjoy the last bits and pieces. Impérial/Opoponax is not a scent for every day, but it is wonderfully suitable for the coming season.
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Velvet
The name of this perfume drove me, as a bloodhund is driven by its flair on the right track of the prey. The unfolding is gorgeous.
Wet soil-velvet.

Ground, sweet myrrh, fresh and spicy benzoin. I really like this stage, if it would be a bus stop, I could wait there with such wide smile as Totoro! Later on vanilla overswell the other notes, and the final result is a unified, exaggeratedly sweet base with a light bitter almond cap, as the clouds swim above a mountain. I could compare it to marzipan aroma.

Half hour after the almost-unisex introduction it gets almost unwearable for gentlemen.
It lasts 6-7 hours on my skin, sillage is sufficient, much stronger then a skin-scent.
5.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

What is in a name ?
When I started with perfumes, and that is many years ago, among the general impression of a scent I also paid attention to the notes. My favorite scent at that time, Shalimar, had among its base notes the ingredient "opoponax". Opoponax (or Oppoponax) ... what is this, I asked myself. Fast forward several decades and that name came up again and again in a perfume discussion group, as the label Les Nereides "Imperial Oppoponax" and mainly because of its medicinal smell. Alright, I said, if I like it so much in the base notes of my favorite scents ... now what would the ingredient in almost pure form smell like?

A 5 ml decant from The Perfumed Court was the first attempt to shed light on the matter. It was a simple roll-on. At first, there was nothing special except a huge waft of vanilla. On that day, after having generously applied the roll-on on my neck and arms, I ran to the Bank in the deepest Winter weather. Inside, as I leaned over the table to fill out papers, my nose picked up this very enticing scent. Who, what ... smells so good here? None other than myself, as I could sniff my arm while the warm air inside the Bank had magnified the scent after the cold Winter air. There was definitely that medicinal note, nothing really wrong with it, rather an interesting note with balsamic warmth. Comfortable and cozy, let's relax in front of a fire place, if only in fantasy.

OK, fine, I forgot about that little roll-on after a while and just by hazard, applied a little before grocery shopping, like a go-to scent one would grab without any particular plan. As compliments were extended while I was waiting in line before the check-out counter, there must have been something right about that scent after all.

Sometimes others can lead you to a good scent.

Technically speaking, this is a soft scent, round, warm, with a slight medicinal touch which is rather comforting instead of off-putting or demanding. This is a little master piece of a regular perfume which does not aim for more than simplicity.
7.5 7.5 6.0/10

A Warm and Golden Oriental Skin Scent
Some reviewers have compared The People of the Labyrinths LUCTOR ET EMERGO to Les Néréides OPOPONAX, of which I was recently sent a sample by the generous SystemeD, so I decided to give it a whirl. I guess that I'm confused by the comparison. No cherries; no almonds. I also smell no lavender (as jtd reports, below). So what do I smell?

Something golden and ambery. In this case, it seems like a cross between an orthodox labdanum amber and an ambergris. The labdanum, if present, is light. The ambergris, if present, is light. A couple of reviewers have referenced Calvin Klein Obsession, and there is no doubt some overlap in the golden brown notes, but OPOPONAX serves them up in a mild enough dose that by the drydown this perfume feels like a skin scent. It's warm and simple and golden. Much simpler than Yves Rocher VOILE D'AMBRE, to which others have compared this composition.

I guess that people are perceiving overlaps, and there are between all of these various creations, but OPOPONAX is its own perfume, not a copy or a flanker of anything else. I would characterize this as a lighter oriental scent without going so far as to fall into the recently invented genre of thin (watery) oriental fragrances, which I myself do not really like. No, this one still seems fat-soluble, but the golden layer applies as a very thin patina over the skin.

not my bag
Many people like this perfume, so I know I’m swimming upstream here, but this is one unappealing perfume. I think it strives for harmony, but winds up feeling like motion-sickness. Lavender and amber are like their own one-material harmonies. They generally form pleasing accords so easily. And opoponax is one of the more appealing botanicals, rich but jagged, strikingly handsome.

Combined in this perfume, they form a cloying mix that sticks to the back of my throat like sick. Reminds me that individually beautiful elements can be used to make a mess.

by Hatka
by Hatka
by Pipette
by Pipette
by Charlotte
by Charlotte

Popular Les Néréides

Opoponax / Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides Douceur de Vanille by Les Néréides Oriental Lumpur by Les Néréides Patchouli Precieux / Patchouli Antique by Les Néréides Musc de Java by Les Néréides Fleur Poudrée de Musc by Les Néréides Musc de Samarkand by Les Néréides Vert d'Eau by Les Néréides Patchouli Antique (2018) by Les Néréides