Esencia 1988Eau de Toilette

Esencia (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe
Bottle Design Vicente Vela
Esencia (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Loewe for men and was released in 1988. The scent is spicy-green. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Olivier Cresp

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Galbanum, Green notes, Lavender, Petitgrain, Juniper berry, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Geranium, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Nutmeg, Clary sage, Neroli, Pine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Fir, Tonka bean, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 28.05.2020.

8 cylinder
Today I was once again in car showrooms around, because I love shiny bodies and good mature engines.

Again and again it pulls me to the "star", my friends may find that also stuffy, but these Töff Töffs always stood me faithfully to the side.
Solid with a touch of conservism.

I like to laugh along when I'm asked with a sting whether I've been back to the " pensioners' meeting ".
But under the stylish sheet metal dresses slumber often pithy engines.
Matching the ambience I wore Esencia - a fragrance that also has a wide chest under his well cut suit.

Of course it's clearly a men's fragrance, but sometimes "I get carried away" by it too
It initially looks old school, with lavender and the green notes, then creates a soft twist through the flowery parts, then sweeping out the wild catch with tart oak moss and juniper berry.
To become automotive again - under this classic sheet metal dress an 8 cylinder tubes.
Surprised faces, if one overtakes so motorized casually the other road users.

An understatement scent - for the fast lane.

Carlitos01
Great classy old school spanish fougére
"La Esencia de Loewe" is very masculine and sexy.
It's the scent my wife prefers on me, together with BOSS Number ONE and Angel*Men.
Although the complexity and notes are tottaly diferent, this fragrance remembers me Narciso Rodrigues for Him, and both are aromatic fougéres. They do share some darkness as well, but of different types. While NRH suggests you a wet dark twisty road, EdL surrounds you with juniper, oakmoss and vetiver from an old gloomy forest.
It does attract quite a number of compliments from the ladies and a bit of envy from the men.
It perspires pure old school gentlemen class. It's a complex perfume with all notes, and stages blending, very well mastered.
I consider it to be one of my all time favorites and I wear it all over the year, day and night. Well... not really during the Summer.
Performance is quite above average. Projection is very strong in all the development stages.

My global rating: 8.25/10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
It's old school, meaning manly, powerfull, green and glommy; it's a real pine forest scent and projects like a beast. Try before you buy.

Great drydown
The opening it's not very good, but after that, with the drydown, get better, a lot better.

It's a old school smell but i think that is acceptable.

PROS:
- Last a lot and projects well
- Not popular
- A old school with nice drydown.
- A quality fragrance
- Elegant

CONS:
- Someone can think that is grandpa smell
- Can be offensive if over apply

It's a nice acquisition for a collector or for someone what looking for a good alternative to the formal - old school scents out there.

If it's your case, try it.

Regards.

Green, Too Green...
Esencia starts off very fresh and extremely pleasant with a blast of aromatics and lavender. Then it turns very green (maybe a strong pine, perhaps?) and that is where it loses the thumbs up from me. The green notes are somewhat harsh and in your face at first, making me take pause and reconsider my initial positive impression... then they settle down and become pleasant. Bottom line is if you like green scents you will most likely enjoy Esencia. I can appreciate a lot of the positives that others have mentioned and concur with many of them... I just keep coming back to the initial pine overkill in the early heart notes before it calms down that prevents me from strongly recommending it. It is an above average green powerhouse, just not quite there. 3 out of 5 stars.

Essence of elegance
Esencia's list of notes looks like a kitchen sink of ingredients but they blend into one of the most beautiful and elegant aromatic fougeres in my wardrobe.

I know, Esencia may technically classify as a chypre. But the predominance of lavender and tarragon, as well as the aromatic elements of pine and fir, is such that Esencia reads to the nose as a classic fougere. Furthermore, leather, the anamalic accord that should put us in the mind of chypre, doesn't really register. If I get my nose right next to my wrist and prepare my mind to smell leather I can perceive its tanned, polished tang. However, you'd be in for a big disappointment if you expected a leather jacket in a bottle based on Esencia's embossed leather cap and classification as a chypre. The pine green, pine cone shaped bottle is closer to truth in advertising. Other reviewers get hung up on this distinction, too. Even those who call it a chypre use qualifiers like "aromatic-herbal chypre" or "fougere-chypre hybrid". Maybe these are good compromises.

Esencia may be 25 years old but it balances its classic structure -whatever kind of fougere-chypre hybrid it is- with a modernity that has yet to fade.

ItchynoseItchynose 10 months ago
Fizzy, green and citrus opening leading to a classic soapy and mossy dry down. Clean and uplifting, a bit old school.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Loewe's Esencia perspires pure old school gentlemen class. It's a complex perfume with all notes, and stages blending, very well mastered.

by Miaw2
by Miaw2
by Tandi
by Tandi

Popular Loewe

Esencia (Eau de Parfum) by Loewe Loewe pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - El cielo sobre la Plaza de Oriente by Loewe 001 Man (Eau de Parfum) by Loewe 7 (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe Gala (1991) by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - Un balcón sobre el Paseo del Prado by Loewe 7 Anónimo by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - Amanece la bella Cibeles by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - Tras la tormenta en el Jardín Botánico by Loewe 001 Man (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe 7 Sport by Loewe 7 Natural by Loewe 7 Plata by Loewe Aura Pink Magnolia by Loewe 001 Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Loewe Solo Esencial by Loewe Quizás Seducción by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - Atardecer en los Jardines del Buen Retiro by Loewe Aura White Magnolia by Loewe