Gala 1991

Version from 1991
Gala (1991) by Loewe
Gala (1991) is a popular perfume by Loewe for women and was released in 1991. The scent is floral-animal. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
BergamotBergamot
Green notesGreen notes
RosewoodRosewood
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
RoseRose
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
CivetCivet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.06.2021.

The dark, forgotten beauty
The first time I tried Gala - I think it was a sample that a kind person sent to me, many years ago - I was completely floored. A wonderful, huge blast of soft aldehydes, sweet, very realistic jasmine, creamy sandalwood and loads and loads of dark, animalic castoreum... I had never smelled anything like it. It was like a huge piece of beautiful cloth, a blanket, a cape, a shawl, I am not sure exactly what, it was soft and heavy at the same time, it was dark velvet and airy lace, and I just wanted to wrap myself in it and breath in the beautiful scent forever. I knew I had to have it, and ordered a bottle immediately.

Strangely enough, I hardly ever wore it. I suppose I found it a little difficult to wear in public, I was worried that its heavy animalic trail would scare people away. Vintage perfumes sometimes have that effect on those who are not used to them. I love animalic perfumes myself, but yes, I admit that with some of them, people might sometimes wonder if perhaps you didn't wash for a while.

So Gala stayed in my closet, unused for years. I tested it again recently, and found that I am not as enchanted by it as I was all those years ago. I feel that the castoreum floats on top like a much too heavy lid, it doesn't blend in with the rest in the way that I remember, and I keep wishing for it to go away.

It makes me a bit sad, because when you remember something as being very beautiful, you want it to stay that way. But maybe it's just me - getting older, no longer able to carry that gorgeous velvet-lacy cape with the natural grace that it requires.

Gala will remain with me as a bitter-sweet memory in a beautiful bottle. And perhaps a reminder to wear what you love, while you are able to...

by 0815abc
by Turandot
Loewe - Gala - 105 mm - 100 ml
by DonVanVliet

Popular Loewe

Esencia (Eau de Parfum) by Loewe Loewe pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe Esencia (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - El cielo sobre la Plaza de Oriente by Loewe 001 Man (Eau de Parfum) by Loewe 7 Anónimo by Loewe 7 (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe 7 Plata by Loewe 001 Man (Eau de Toilette) by Loewe 7 Natural by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - Un balcón sobre el Paseo del Prado by Loewe 7 Sport by Loewe Paula's Ibiza by Loewe Aura White Magnolia by Loewe Un Paseo por Madrid - Tras la tormenta en el Jardín Botánico by Loewe Loewe para Hombre by Loewe Aura Pink Magnolia by Loewe 001 Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Loewe Solo Esencial by Loewe Solo Cedro by Loewe