L (2006) Eau de Parfum

L (Eau de Parfum) by Lolita Lempicka
Bottle Design: Sylvie de France

L (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Lolita Lempicka for women and was released in 2006. The scent is sweet-gourmand. The production was apparently discontinued.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Bitter orange, Sunny notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesMusk, Everlasting flower, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.07.2019

10.0 5.0 8.0 9.5/10

Like in a fairy tale
The first splash of "L" caused me a direct olfactory shock that only a few perfumes have managed so far. A positive one beyond all measure! With this fragrance it is difficult for me to smell out individual components, because the components for me fit together into a difficult to describe whole. I'll try it anyway:
For me, the fragrance begins with a bombastic, bitter and yet sweet bitter orange. After the top note has faded, "L" develops on my skin: I mainly perceive spicy vanilla and cinnamon notes in addition to musk. In between, the scent on my skin becomes sometimes sweetly powdery and plastic-like (reminds me of plastic dolls). In the last few hours a salt note appears more strongly on my skin next to the warm, powdery gourmand notes, which in my opinion harmonizes very nicely with the other notes, makes the scent a bit more angular in a very interesting way and gives it depth.
The bottle goes very well with the fragrance because it really reminds me of a small, mysterious, dreamy mermaid. It is by no means an aquatic scent, as the connotation of "sea" might suggest.
For me in any case a leisure scent, because it would be a bit too heavy and conspicuous for me in a professional setting.
One of the most interesting, complex and enchanting fragrances I have ever smelt. Too bad it's no longer available.
8.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Christmas Cookie
L opens with a strong cinnamon. The orange adds some tartness and balances, makes the cinnamon so yummy. The drydown is mainly vanilla, but the cinnamon is slightly detectable and spices it up, to remind you this is not a whatever vanilla drydown but L by Lolita. I don't think it's a very complexe fragrance. But it's a wonderful mood lifter. It's so cheerful that it will light up a grey autumn or winter morning. And like some previous reviewers it reminds me so much of Christmas. As the longevity, it's 8h+ on me and the sillage can be huge for the opening, so beware.

Originally written in 2013.
8.0 5.0 4.0 8.5/10

A fabulous fragrance
I was only able to procure a rollerball, but it's creative and not a plain tubular vial. The glass vial is shaped like a tree limb--or maybe it's supposed to be coral?! That's probably more in keeping with the beachy motif. The cap is heavy and has a little starfish and a dangly "L," which sort of annoys me when I'm screwing the cap on and off. The rollerball inside is metal, not plastic, so this is well-made. The first whiff of the juice (which is viscous) is citrusy, but on me, it's gone within 30 seconds. What follows can only be described as...cinnamon graham crackers. That's exactly what it smells like. I even stuck my nose in a box just to make sure! Hours later, it's a soft, sweet vanilla. This is a fantastic perfume! It smells good enough to eat. It lasts moderately long and the sillage is not overpowering. And I have no idea why they chose the beach theme for this bottle; the scent is not even remotely reminiscent of a beach or the tropics.

The scent reminds me kinda-sorta of Aquolina Gold Sugar, though the "L" is not as screechy as the Gold Sugar, nor does it have that coconutty vibe. "L" is more cinnamon, less coconut, but they share the same sweet vanilla; a faint whiff of florals are thrown into the drydown, but they're hiding under the rest. Take a big, deep breath and you'll smell them.

I also like this L de Lolita Lempicka better than the first Lolita Lempicka. Though I feel they end the same, with the sweet vanilla, I prefer the cinnamon-y goodness of the "L" to the blast of licorice of the "Lolita Lempicka." I feel that's the main difference between the two. Plus, the "L" lasts much longer on me than the other.

l de ravageur
Frédéric Malle Musc Ravageur is the classic ‘whole lotta everything’ perfume. It’s an Aromatic Fougiental with gourmand tendencies. It doesn’t blend categories. It lumps them all together in the same bottle. Keeping the different genres at arms length from each other is a remarkable technical accomplishment. Unfortunately, it also leaves Musc Ravageur open to love/hate criticism. Fougère fans will find too much sweetness. Those hoping for a warm amber will find the aromatic elements jarring. It’s not gourmand enough for others.

I don’t know if perfumer Maurice Roucel had plans to spin off a set of flankers by overdosing particular notes, but Musc Ravaguer is an ideal starting place. Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum glides past the aromatics and amps up the musk. Le Labo Labdanum 18 makes a marshmallow of a perfume by emphasizing vanilla and removing much of Musc Ravageur’s kitchen sink.

L de Lolita doesn’t so much overdose a particular note as accentuate the ties to the gourmand genre. The perfume makes its point with patchouli. The camphorous side of the material replicates the aromatic top of Musc Ravageur, but by skipping the lavender L de Lolita skirts fougère references. Patchouli’s chocolate side combines with a maple syrup note (immortelle) to create a dessert feel. Juxtaposing patchouli’s contrastingly cool and warm sides while adding skosh of cotton candy gives Lolita a passing resemblance to Thierry Mugler Angel. Angel’s trick, though, is its inherent dissonance. It suggests food and poison in the same sniff. Lolita is far less conflicted than Angel and lands squarely in the desert camp, ultimately smelling like a German Chocolate cupcake.

L de Lolita misses the point of Angel. Angel balances food and toxin in a 50-50 mix. It draws you close with cotton candy and then blasts you with camphor just as you get intimate. It’s a classic tease. L de Lolita distorts the ratio. 90% cupcake draws you in but the 10% poison isn’t enough to push you away. It’s classic nausea.

There is something technically fascinating yet conceptually crass about L de Lolita. For all the expertise that that may have gone into manipulating genres and layering notes just so, the experience it asks the wearer to have is trite. L de Lolita creeps too far into the laziness of the gourmand genre. The experience it offers is, “Hey. Wanna smell sort of like a cupcake?”
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

L de Lolita Lempicka-My Own Midsummer Night's Dream
This is a delightful Lolita. Classified as an oriental vanilla fragrance, it's more complex than the eight notes it contains. They wax and wane so well to a drydown that manages to mystify a lot of followers.
Within minutes, I was transformed to a burning campfire in the deep, dark woods, surrounded by tall, dark evergreens. I was sitting on a tree stump, smelling the wood and twigs I had collected to burn and watch dance in the fire's embers. There was moss underfoot and it is my own Midsummer Night's Dream.
I could smell marshmallows and little night flowers. This is not a sweet scent to me, but a warm scent that brings to mind not food, but memories and places and dreams. It evokes thoughts of areas I've been to, of trips I've been on.
Perfumes give you sensory and olfactory experiences. L Lolita immediately put me into another time and place. I've had gourmand perfumes remind me of food, yes, but never had this type of experience happen so quickly. How interestingly and quickly it mixed with my chemistry. Its drydown stayed similar to its initial notes, just richer but softer.
Bergamot, immortelle, tonka bean and vanilla were the highlight notes for me. The scent lasted for at least 6 hours, happily well worth it. As with all of the Lolita bottles, very interesting, unique and pretty, although a bit cumbersome. This Lolita is my favorite so far.
7.5 5.0 2.5 5.0/10

LadyRogue
Why Do You Leave So Soon?
A soft wonderful powder-ish vanilla cinnamon slightly gourmand with a sea-air salty cloud. Baby powder for a mermaid baby. Tender and a bit fragile. I love the notes but just like Coral Flower it's too fleeting on me.

Summer and daywear only for me. Light re-touches are needed throughout the day. A cuddle scent in a gorgeous bottle. If only the juice lasted longer on me this could be a favourite. Alas. For all of you who don't have this problem. Enjoy! : )

Silage: "sea cloud with a touch of fresh vanilla cookies" -- Longevity: on me 3+ hours (if I apply on skin & clothes) at first a pleasant & noticeable cloud that turns on me quickly into a very very close to the skin scent. Test on skin before purchase.
It's always yummy for home/evening and bed-wear since this one is totally inoffensive.
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

MarkStar
Guys, don't be scared of the bottle!
Were it not for the undeniably girly bottle, this could easily pass for a unisex scent. The immortelle balances out the vanilla, making what could otherwise be way too sweet into an almost "rough" feeling and frankly, to my nose, fairly masculine scent.

But what do I know? I wear Jicky and Shalimar and even Insense... Oh, wait, Insense is actually made for men...

Guys, I am just saying, "Try it. You might like it. Don't be scared off by the bottle."
8.0/10

Awesomeness
Been down this road before.
L is another one of the very sweet fragrances which are far too common today. Lovely, but L is very BTDT in the oriental vanilla territory. When I wear L, I smell like every one else. In this line, I much prefer Coral Flower with it's salty marine references. Coral Flower is a sister to L but much more unique imo. 15 Aug 2010

UPDATE - I've changed my mind. Funny how that happens. ;)

This fragrance is a grower. I found it difficult at first, and I think that was largely because I sampled it in Summer. However, after trying it again, in the dead of winter, I decided that I had to have it. It's a cold weather perfume.

Definitely a vanilla & tonka bean based modern oriental on me. I'd say that you really have to dig vanilla to like this one, then be prepared for something different. I get salt, sweetness but not sugar, maybe a cake, and something deep, resinous & nearly incense-like. As I wear it through the day and freshen, the incense-like character becomes more pronounced, and the fragrance has a body that is best described as chewy. Quite awesome.

I'm glad I tried to make it work. I'm even happier that it does. My only disappointment is that the wear is a bit uneven - opens very strong and ends in a whimper six hours out. But at this price, who cares? Just spray it again and again.

But why does this juice turn brown? I've kept mine in a box away from light and it hasn't be exposed to extreme heat. Such a pity - ruins the bottle & presentation when it brown. No idea.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Vanilla-orange cake consumed on a beach
Lolita Lempicka; the house of exquisite bottles and sweet, unique scents, that unfortunately don't mesh well with my chemistry, however smell amazing on others.

Lolita Lempicka fragrances are fit for the woodland fairy Princess; sugary, girlish and charming.

L is primarily vanilla with salty and citrusy undertones. I knew even before checking the notes that the citrus was that of the bitter orange.

To me, L is very much a beachy-type scent, easily worn all year round. It's comforting and casual, however it won't suit everyone. I'd say that it is very much geared towards vanilla lovers wishing to indulge themselves further.

Although a vanilla lover myself, I find L a little too sweet even though the spicy cinnamon balances out that sugary sweetness nicely. I find some similarities to Dior Addict, Hypnotic Poison, Hypnose and Pink Sugar here, which are favourites of mine on others, yet far too sugary for my tastes.

I'd say that L is pretty long-lasting, however the fragrance itself isn't all that strong yet the sillage is certainly not weak. The bottle will surely capture you if the scent does not.
5.0/10

Christmas Candy in Greece
This is a review of a perfume I once used to love..
L de Lolita Lempicka has one of the prettiest bottles, the sea blue colour and the pretty charms just make it irresistible, so I was drown like a moth to a flame. The initial spray made me happy and exhilirated, it reminded me a lot of christmas time, I am guessing because of the cinnamon and honey notes, totally representing christmas desserts where do I live..and actually have weakness for.. So a little time later when I found a great deal on a bottle I jumped to it, apparently I had made a snap decision.. Becuase all the other times I tried L it failed to lift me up or either comfort me.. Sadly the drydown has too mucb vanilla and it is over sweet for my liking, sometimes making me nauseous.. If it was heavier on bergamot and orange might have been better.
Leaving my personal expirience behind, I can see this perfume to be very appealing to women, it is warm, it is cozy, it is sweet, it is wearable in every occassion in winter. Good idea, pretty bottle, not for me.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Musc Ravageur Minus Lavender and Cloves and a Couple of Deer
It's interesting to take up L de Lolita Lempicka with the benefit of having sniffed Maurice Roucel's Musc Ravageur. Many people have compared the two, but I have to say that I find L de Lolita Lempicka considerably more appealing. In fact, in order to circumvent a scrub of Musc Ravageur, I opted to cover it up with L, to excellent effect.

L de Lolita was obviously designed for women, so, yes, it is more sweet and oriental and less overtly musky. Yes, there is a musk base, but it's quite a bit less in your face than is Musc Ravageur, at least as far as my nose is concerned. Other improvements are the absence of cloves and lavender, which conspire to cast a harsh quality over the other components of Musc Ravageur. At the same time, the vanilla, tonka, and cinnamon really are cranked up in L, moving it closer to gourmand territory, without quite crossing over the line.

All in all, L strikes me as a distant relative to but a distinct improvement over the overbearing Musc Ravageur. I own and wear L with pleasure from time to time.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Asphaltblume
Mmhh - or rather ommm! - delicious: Nag Champa!?
Got it via souk (thanks to Mrs6fiend), sprayed on, sniffed: Orange, cinnamon, caramel and, er, wee'd pants?
Of the notes listed I don't believe any would smell urinary. (Not like the derelict corner next to the stations were bums relieve themselves, but freshly wee'd in. Sweetish and bouillon-like meets wet cloth.)
I suspect the sunny notes...

A little later this smell stops and I smell Nag Champa joss sticks. I guess it's mostly the mix of sandalwood and cinnamon. The orange changes, it's not the fruit now dominating but the peel, maybe even candied orange peel.
It's the sweet, spicy and relaxing scent of joss sticks that I find so fascinating in this eau de parfum. That's why I simply had to have it.

I read a lot of reviews speaking of impressions of salt and sea and beach, so I tried to find those pictures in the scent of my sweetly incence-smoked wrists as well, but in vain. On me the fragrance does not anything marine and therefore I think the pretty but unequivocally maritime bottle a pretty strange choice for this fragrance.

It stands to reason that the blue liquid turns brown so quickly as that matches joss sticks so much better than blue!
After the Nag Champa note has come out it is a rather linear smell on my skin. It fades but doesn't turn any new leaves. Longevity is not recordbreaking but decent. It lasts a full day at work easily.

Bcars10 2 years ago
More linear than complex, but it is still wonderful! It is gourmand, but there is more there than just smelling like a dessert.
4.0
ScentedSalon 4 years ago
Burnt sugar vanilla in a beachy, delightful little bottle. Love it!
9.0
9.0

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by EauMySoul
by EauMySoul
Das Prinzip aller Dinge ist Wasser; aus Wasser ist alles und ins Wasser kehrt alles zurück~Thales v. Milet~nach Aristoteles
by Sunshine00
by EvaK
by EvaK
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72
This is actually L Coral Flower. I mistakenly posted it at L! Entschuldigung!
by Soraya
by Odinia
by Silverrain
by Silverrain

Popular Lolita Lempicka

L (Eau de Parfum) by Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (Eau de Toilette) by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Parfum) (1997) by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Parfum) (2012) by Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita (Eau de Parfum) by Lolita Lempicka L Fleur de Corail by Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka L'Eau en Blanc by Lolita Lempicka Elle L'Aime by Lolita Lempicka Sweet by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2012 by Lolita Lempicka L'Eau Jolie by Lolita Lempicka L'Eau Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2009 by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Toilette) (1997) by Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Toilette) (2011) by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2014 - Minuit Sonne by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2011 by Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Lolita Lempicka