Au Masculin (2001)Eau de Toilette

Au Masculin (Eau de Toilette) by Lolita Lempicka
Bottle Design Sylvie de France

Au Masculin (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Lolita Lempicka for men and was released in 2001. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It was last marketed by Amore Pacific Group / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesAbsinth, Aniseed, Ivy
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrgeat syrup, Rum, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar, Cistus

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.06.2020.

3lbows
Strange liquorice candy in the Shire
One thing right from the start: The Au is not that masculine, but definitely worth a test.
The water has a liquorice sweet start - that alone is a novelty in the world of fragrances. And yet this is by no means slapping or strikingly sweet, like the modern clay clubs or gold bar blends. I would describe the Au (or Eau?) as "spherical" - cute: Enigmatic and spatially unlocatable, a synthetic-sweet aura of slightly rubbery or plastic-like quality, almost a bit like Playdoh. The distinctive aniseed note, as well as a minimal soapiness (ivy?) gives the Au an almost mystical interest. In the drydown, the liquorice theme then fades away somewhat, but still leaves a slightly bitter note as a counterpart to the creamy sweet finish.
I think the Au has a high recognition value, looks friendly and is universally wearable in the colder seasons. It certainly doesn't get on anybody's nerves, maybe it's even good for some "Yes do look here! But whoever expects a sexy masculine seducer will be disappointed by the Au. In return, it gets a somewhat wondrous but extremely portable companion that always surrounds its user with a benevolent aura.
Sillage and especially durability are not disappointing. The fragrance is still clearly perceptible, even eight hours after application, although practically close to the skin.
The so often quoted Kouros Body I do not feel at all as a fragrance twin, even if I exchange anise and eucalyptus in my mind; where the Greek for me is rather in a league with One Million and Eros for the favour of the gentle sex, even if with considerably more class and character, the Au shows itself rather playful, naive, harmless. Like I said - definitely not a ripper. I find Prada's Luna Rossa Black more similar, as it also shows this synthetic rubber sweetness paired with a light soap. Here, however, without anise - the Au's serious business brother so to speak.
Although the men's water is no longer available, I would like to make a clear test recommendation. But you have to be able to identify with it to like it, so the Au is not a blindbuy candidate. What remains is to test Lolita Lempicka's Homme, the Au's allegedly watered-down successor. I at least could also imagine this DNA as summer cologne...

Winter Fairy tale
Scentrack: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy

Beautiful and really sweet work of Annick Menado. One the most romantic and softest male fragrances ever, although performances of first formulation are monstrous.
Strong licorice, anise, winter rum, Jaegermeisster liquer with pralines and vanilla in the base. A winter fairy tale.
Only for sweet gourmands lovers, and cold winters.
An original and romantic male fragrance and great bang for your buck.

Rating: 7.5/10

Playful refinement
At a first sniff, Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka hangs precariously on the thin fence between a great fragrance and a tacky mess: luckily, for me it quickly and brilliantly manages to fall on the right side - so yes, that was to say it’s a really good fragrance. Among the very few solid gourmands for men, tightly connected to Yohji Homme and Rochas Man, completing this ideal sacred trio with a decidedly anisic-balsamic blend infused with a beautifully “azure”, playful, juvenile pastel mood – kind of cheesy, but fun. I always admire fragrance willing to play something different than usual masculine clichés, both scent-wise and marketing storytelling-wise and Au Masculin surely wins it. Besides aniseed and licorice, which is surely the bolder top accord, I also get a totally pleasant whiff of green fresh notes, perfectly enhancing the cheesy “sexually blurry fairy forest” theme of the advertising campaign (again, something this close to look completely pathetic, but instead it looks oddly intriguing to me). The smell is way more refined and masculine that it may seem from the packaging and the advertising; it’s sweet but also musky, mannered, even slightly smoky while smelling at the same time delightfully bright and graceful – a dry, dusty, “virile” kind of grace – and breezy. That’s it: aniseed, herbs, a subtle fougère bone-structure, with a beautiful and bold Oriental accord of tonka and woods slowly arising on the drydown, echoing other renowned resinous-powdery scents for men (a sweeter and breezier Body Kouros, like other reviewers noted; or also, a drier, brighter Jaipur Homme). I admit the quality isn’t really comparable to either Yohji or Rochas, though; the notes smell somehow flat and synthetic, but nothing overly annoying. I guess the budget wasn’t stellar, and Annick Menardo did a really great job with the materials here. I am really glad they picked such a talented nose for this fragrance – many others would have probably made a disgrace, while Au Masculin is on the contrary a really pleasant sweet scent with a (cleverly engineered) crisp and light sillage, a decent evolution and a decent persistence. Recommended.

7,5/10

MasterLi
Unique, playful, sexy, childish, and almost edible bitter-sweet!
One of the most interesting perfumes I've come across. This is like walking through a fairy tale storybook. Think Hansel & Gretel, think a Midsummer Night's Dream, think Peter Pan, even Tim Burton. The marketing matches this very well I think.

This is centred on Liquorice, it has that sweet, herbal smell, as the liquorice is joined with Ivy and Basil and Anise and violet leaf, then soaked in rum, drying down to a chocolate and vanilla praline-like, almost nutty type smell. This really is unlike anything I've come across (especially for a man)!

I find it sweet, but not in that creamy cloying gourmand kind of way. To me, it's quite dark. The liquorice is paired with rum and has a kind of herbal, almost borderline medicinal smell. To me it's the opposite of creamy, it's like dry liquorice and anise flavoured alcohol. But don't let that put you off, it's done in a very nice way with the nutty, praline-like drydown. It's quite addictive.

I can see a lot of women liking this one. It plays on the mentality that women like sweet smells on a man (read: an edible quality). I can see this being great for clubbing as it will really cut through the atmosphere and is unlike ANY other smell out there. Annick Menardo is known for taking risks with male fragrances, she's known for being different, and this one certainly is unique. She also did Body Kouros for Yves Saint-Laurent and Bvlgari Black. I would say that this fragrance is a more playful, flirting version of Body Kouros, the other being more seriously seductive, this gives off a romantic and almost childishly playful-type vibe.

With that in mind, I could probably see this on a younger crowd, it would work really well there, but it's dry enough to work even on an older guy who wants something really different and unique that he won't smell anywhere else. For application I think using less sprays would be preferable, as not everyone would like the sweet quality this has to offer, and mainly for only night time use in the summer, but can be used any time during the cooler seasons, just never on a very warm or exceedingly hot day.

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin is completely unique for a male fragrance! It's playful, sweet, flirtatious, and unlike anything out there for men. It really does feel magical... In a word, enchanting!

Grehn
one of the best scents ever!
i love this fragrance, i cant understand how a lot of persons say this is more of a feminine scent!, i Think it is a unisex, but a lil bit more to the menzone!

this has grown to one of my big favorites, the vanilla and liqourice.

i give this the full score, because of the very good longevity,smell and projection.

this is a must for every fragrancelover!!! Amazing sweet scent!!

Heavy
This is heavy and powerful.

Actually it's extremely sweet with huge projection, lasting power and sillage.

It may be cloying. I pick mostly anise and vanilla notes with a light woody base.

If you like sweet fragrances, this is a must have.

Updated January 2014

My fairy prince
I don't know how Lolita Lempicka manages to achieve it time and time again, but this fragrance house has a knack for creating fragrances that make you feel like you're living in a fairytale as a woodland prince or princess.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, despite being aimed towards men, still has that mystical forest sensation that has the ability to thrill me over and over again. It's much darker and more licoricey than the feminine Lolita Lempicka, and I'll have to agree with most reviewers here, that this fragrance can indeed be unisex.

The licorice note appears in rather large doses, being further complimented by heady violet, green ivy, vanilla candies and boozy rum. I really love this blend. It's like the naughty woodland satyr with a drinking problem and a devilish glare that makes the pretty fairies swoon.

The sweetness of this fragrance will not suit everyone. Don't say that you weren't pre-warned. Perhaps the poetic and romantic types of men will appreciate this fragrance, along with the women, like myself, which find this fragrance more appealing than the feminine Lolita Lempicka.

I bought this fragrance from a quaint, little boutique hidden amongst a dreamy, forest landscape. This fragrance will always remind me of this day-trip and having found this fragrance for such a great price. I guess you could say that the scent suited the occasion.

I haven't met a man with whom Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin would suit, however for the time being I'm enjoying wearing this little number for myself. I should add that the longevity and sillage are very strong and lasting.

Guys Like Cars and Guitars
Upon initial application, LOLITA LEMPICKA AU MASCULIN has me shaking my head wondering yet again about the alleged distinction between made-for-women and made-for-men perfumes. Shortly thereafter, however, as the car interior and tire notes begin to manifest themselves, I remember: Yes, that's right--guys like cars.

Some of you may think that I am imagining this, but I smell at least as many new car interior and tire notes as gourmand notes by the drydown. This fragrance starts very sweet and seems as though we may have quite the narcissistic couple in the making, she wearing LL, he wearing LL AU MASCULIN. Think Valerie Bertinelli and Eddie Van Halen.

But, no, in the end, we find the truth which we already knew but had forgotten: girls like candy and flowers, while guys like cars and guitars!

-------------

I don't know why, but later testings have greatly improved my opinion of this scent... It no longer smells rubbery and car-like to me.

Njdeb
A "Masculin" for both men and women
Could it be that a fragrance marketed to men ends up being my favorite of the Lolita Lempickas? Well yes, I think it could. This is just a delightful and unique fragrance, and one that could very easily be worn by a woman or a man. In fact, if I didn't know how it was marketed, I would have taken Au Masculin for a unisex or even feminine scent.

There are distinct layers to this fragrance. The beginning offers a really yummy blast of sweet candy licorice with a hint of violet. Of course, a violet/licorice accord is the trademark of the Lolita Lempicka series. Here, though, instead of going the incense route as does the feminine, Au Masculin takes a fresh green turn. I love how the basil nicely augments the licorice/aniseseed with it's own anisic quality, as well as lending it's distinctive herbal green aroma. Then comes the ivy, which I think gives this scent a dewy green quality. I love this combination of top notes and find it quite magical.

The middle phase is woodier, with cedar being the dominant note to my nose. I find this phase, while certainly still good, to be the least interesting of the three and as well as the most stereotypically masculine.

Unexpectedly, the middle woodiness dissipates fairly quickly, leaving the base with a clearly gourmand character. This phase is definitely on the sweet side, but not overly so. I find the vetiver a welcome addition, as I believe it works to mitigate the sweetness of the vanilla and praline. In fact, this could be the best use of a praline note I've encountered - not sticky-sweet or gooey, just cozy and enticing. The drydown here is truly cuddle-worthy.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine is a scent that doesn't smell like anything else I've encountered. As others have mentioned, it really does have a sort of ethereal, magical quality. I feel that it would be a great choice for a man OR a woman looking for a unique, not too heavy, not too sweet gourmand.

Distinctive ? You bet !
Friends, this is probably the one scent that my newbie self could confidently identify on someone in a crowd. And like Anup, I love it, and have little to add to his review of it's woody licorice notes.

In time a more sophisticated wearer may tire of it's distinctiveness, but that time has not arrived for me yet, and I always reach for it when I simply want to enjoy my day.

Is it a bit like the cartoons, as Aunp implied ? Perhaps, and in that sense it's colorful and a heck of a lot of fun. And a great choice for those days when you feel like you've got nothing to prove and feel like simply having fun yourself.

Inexpensive and easy to find online. Is there anyone with a truly inquisitive attitude toward fragrance who has not tried it ? I suspect not. But if you find yourself on this site and are not familiar with it, I would not let too many days past before you treat yourself to a sniff.

HubertGHubertG 135 days ago
quite unique when launched, very sweet, liquorice feel that I love, a bit feminine, the original bottle was too feminine.

Abendsonne - Vielen Dank - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FB9GYkIT3E
Reine Natur :) gestern - mit Papiereffekt - Dankeschön
by Scottie
Das Gemeindehaus trägt Häkelgardinen :-) find ich schön -  Au masculin auch - Dankeschön
by Taurus1967
by Dancon
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Lolita Lempicka

Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2009 by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2011 by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Parfum) (2012) by Lolita Lempicka L (Eau de Parfum) by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Parfum) (1997) by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2012 by Lolita Lempicka L'Eau en Blanc by Lolita Lempicka LolitaLand by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka Eau de Minuit 2014 - Minuit Sonne by Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka Elle L'Aime by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Toilette) (1997) by Lolita Lempicka L (Parfum) by Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka (Eau de Toilette) (2011) by Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka L Fleur de Corail by Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita (Eau de Parfum) by Lolita Lempicka Caprice Amarena / Amarena Whim by Lolita Lempicka Sweet by Lolita Lempicka