Mare Nostrum - Aura Maris (2012)

Mare Nostrum - Aura Maris by Lorenzo Villoresi

Mare Nostrum - Aura Maris is a perfume by Lorenzo Villoresi for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Floral notes, Fruity notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesAromatic woods, Narcissus, Patchouli, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Woody notes

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.11.2019

10.0 5.0 8.0 9.0/10

MajorTom
Ti amo, in sogno ti amo, in aria ti amo
...Umberto Tozzi once sang and speaks/sings from my soul, because I really love this fragrance. But one by one.

Mare Nostrum. A blind purchase. And yes, I was a little afraid because my last blind purchase (masculine pluriel) was still trying to get my full attention. Now a summer scent, although the summer is over and Villoresi's Uomo is currently used at least twice a week at respectively me. But the next summer will come and so it can't hurt as an alternative.

Mare Nostrum does not have an easy time of it, as there are several companies that vie for our attention and promise to conjure up the flair of the Apennine peninsula combined with all holiday memories in our Teutonic home. I think the blu mediterraneos from AdP are already doing quite well, and some representatives from profvmvm roma like ichnvsa or especially Acqua di Sale are also doing very well.

The prelude to Mare Nostrum gives me the feeling that someone is starting to peel a mandarin right under my nose. Heavy. A real bomb. Now it is the case that tangerine oil is one of the most expensive things you can imagine in the field of fragrances, so I was curious how much of it was used here. Apparently well dosed. After only 2-3 minutes the surge is "evaporated" and we come to the actual fragrance. The mandarin withdraws to a wonderfully balanced measure and the fragrance releases woody notes, which I find extremely successful. These woody echoes remain perceptible to the end and that is a good thing. In the dry down I sniff out some amber, which makes the whole story appear a bit rounder.

But where is the sea? I need a lot of imagination here to associate something. But maybe I'm too used to the salty component from Acqua di Sale and expected more of it here than I actually have. Towards the end light, but really only easily recognizable.

What remains is another nose flatterer, fruity, woody, fresh, aromatic and yes, bringing a piece of Italy across the Alps at the end of the day. Unisex, by the way.

Scent: top, exactly my thing.
Shelf life: after 8 hours still da
Sillage: rather disappointing, maybe I have to diesel myself with it?
Flacon: Hexagon-style, I like it super, pleasantly different.

And so I close with 883's Grazie Mille:

Per ogni giorno, ogni istante, ogni attimo,
che sto vivendo, grazie mille,
signore Villoresi!

valandria
Not what I was hoping for...
I do love my beachy scents, but Aura Maris was a big let down for me. True, it is not sweet. It is a burst of citrus, with wood and more wood. I don't pick up any other fruits other than the citrus. I got looking at the notes and then smelling it on my skin, which led me to get out my bottle of Eau sOleil by Parfums de Nicolai. The two are very similar in structure, but I much prefer Eau sOleil (much brighter and complex) over the Aura Maris. There is something kind of flat about Aura Maris to my nose. I had high hopes for this one, but on me it just fizzled out.
5.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Gold
Make me a perfume that smells like the sea!
"Mare Nostrum" is an exquisite scent which seems to be born of Villoresi's passion for perfume coupled with his gorgeous imagination. This fragrance feels very natural and avoids all things sweet, sugar and fruity. Instead, there is a play between a citrus burst with mandarin and lemon and a mysterious woody chord which feels like a soft breeze from the sea. No calone used here in order to evoke the acquatic atmosphere, the whole things remains transparent and soft. The scent trails off beautifully, with musk and woody notes. And it's long-lasting.

by Pluto