Musk 1995 Eau de Toilette

Musk (Eau de Toilette) by Lorenzo Villoresi
7.5 / 10 107 Ratings
Musk (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Lorenzo Villoresi for women and men and was released in 1995. The scent is floral-woody. It is still available to purchase.
Top Notes Top Notes BlossomsBlossoms GalbanumGalbanum CardamomCardamom
Heart Notes Heart Notes GeraniumGeranium RoseRose
Base Notes Base Notes AmberAmber OakmossOakmoss MuskMusk SandalwoodSandalwood
Submitted by Pazuzu, last update on 25.11.2022.

3 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Rosy musk
My initial impression of this scent was not too great. I read this as a heavy rose on a powdery-ambery base. I wrote 'a bouquet of old ladies' in my notes. That was a long time ago. I kept the sample but never considered wearing it again. Until today.. I did a grab in my big box of random samples and it was decided that I should give Lorenzo Villoresi another try.

Again, I feel the level of powder and rose are on par with several classic (old-lady) perfumes. There is an aura of musk, though, that I completely missed in my earlier experience. It is clearly present, but kind of overpowered by the florals. In the past year I became more familiar with the musk theme and I learnt to appreciate it in all its forms. The musk in this case is clean, powdery, minimally creamy and not as sweet. Towards the drydown the florals settle down. The amber-sandalwood base leaves a warm, creamy impression with a minimal sweetness. The rosy musk aura remains until the very end.

Still, not my favorite due to the initial floral-powder overdose. But I admit, I did enjoy the experience more, now that I learnt to find the nuances. Up from 5/10 to 7/10! I would consider wearing it again, at least to empty my 5 ml vial.
Top Review 47
The two faces of Mr Villoresi
Lorenzo Villoresi is one of those perfumers who surprise me again and again. While many modern mainstream fragrances, as well as the majority of niche fragrances - with the exception of independent labels and natural fragrances - often no longer have great scent progressions, this Italian master of fragrances still offers them in a way that I am used to from true classics. Some of his fragrances have, believe it or not, two faces. Yerbamate, for example, starts out as a herbaceous, crisp green and ends in a soft, warm powdery fluff. Villoresi does a similar thing here with Musk. Again, there are two very different phases that make up this fragrance.

Musk starts out a bit pithy, as Yerbamate did, but pithy to my taste. There is a wonderful tart green cardamom note accompanied by the slightly bitter tones of galbanum. There are also gentle hints of rose and rose geranium. If I didn't know better what I was testing here, I would have also suspected a light incense note at this stage. In the top notes, and still partly in the heart, this perfume reminds me of many an Olivia Giacobetti work. Cool, white, somewhat floral. Passage d'Enfer says hello. This is exactly the style in which Musk is launched. No trace of musk yet. The fragrance seems grounded, serious and controlled.

Unlike Yerbamate, which knows how to inspire me only in the rear with its soft powdery tones, it is with Musk this first half hour to hour, in which he has me fully in the clutches. If it stayed like this, it could stay with me and enrich my collection. But this fragrance also has two faces and changes completely for my nose. Towards the base, it also reveals itself as a warm musky scent and leaves room for a light amber note. But there is more. All of a sudden, I have the sensation of perceiving waxy aldehydes. I'm at a clean scent here, which goes in the direction of soapy-clean. The sandalwood note in the background is even gorgeous, but that's not enough for me then all in all, unfortunately. This soap scent that lingers is not quite my world anymore. Too French, classically chic. Where has my bright, white cardamom smokiness gone? Unfortunately, it has long since moved on and quietly said goodbye to me.

But whether you're more into the creaky start or the soapy finish now. This is a fragrance to discover. Rarely have I experienced such clear and unexpected progressions in fragrances, as with Lorenzo Villoresi. Absolutely test!

Many thanks to Violett for the sample.

Helpful Review 3
Lorenzo Villoresi Musk
A pleasant, woodsy/spicy musk with a strangly fresh non-soapy rose floating about. I '''inherited'' a sample with little left, so I've only worn it twice, but I quite like it. It is non-offensive, sweet-ish, fresh, and with enough body to remain interesting. Lovely drydown. Lasts around 6-8 hours on my skin.

Helpful Review 3
Traditionalism
I think it is a heavy floral scent with medium muskyness, and some slight spicyness to it. Musk is the name of the fragrance, but in my opinion "Rose Musk" would be more appropiate. In the drydown the vanilla and amber is more dominant, giving the composition some sweetness. It is more on the feminine side, but I can imagine wearing this for a romantic evening, or a day when I am in a bright, poetic mood. I think Lorenzo Villoresi blended this in a more traditional manner. Sample before buy. I like it.
........
You can find me on Fragrantica under the same username!

2 short views on the fragrance
KuraiKurai 2 years ago
Opens with a heavy bouquet of floral that lasts quite a while. Eventually dries down into a more pleasant soft amber. Nice but not my thing
MeursaultMeursault 3 years ago
I adore the rose-sandalwood combo in this fragrance, very unisex, very smooth, powdery and delicate. The drydown is superb, my favourite LV.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

7 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Lorenzo Villoresi

Teint de Neige (Eau de Parfum) by Lorenzo Villoresi Atman Xaman (Eau de Parfum) by Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige (Profumo) by Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige (Eau de Toilette) by Lorenzo Villoresi Mare Nostrum - Aura Maris by Lorenzo Villoresi Iperborea by Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Lorenzo Villoresi Patchouli (Eau de Toilette) by Lorenzo Villoresi Atman Xaman (Eau de Toilette) by Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi Vintage Collection - Ylang Ylang by Lorenzo Villoresi Alamut (Eau de Toilette) by Lorenzo Villoresi Vintage Collection - Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi Kamasurabhi (Eau de Toilette) by Lorenzo Villoresi