Cactus Garden 2019

Cactus Garden by Louis Vuitton
Bottle Design Box Illustration: Alex Israel
Cactus Garden is a popular perfume by Louis Vuitton for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is fresh-green. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

MatéMaté
Calabrian bergamotCalabrian bergamot
Lemon grassLemon grass
GeraniumGeranium
FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 21.09.2021.

My little green cactus
"And if a bad guy says something naughty, I'll get my cactus and it'll sting, sting, sting!"

In this spirit, I would like to present here one of my collection favorites and a in many respects well done fragrance on the basis of four points in ascending importance and especially in the matter of the much criticized durability also a little defend:

1. Naming:
Successful. A name that keeps what it promises. Welcome freshness, even on the hottest summer days. This also still by cactus as a raw material in the perfume. Bull's-eye.

2. Flacon:
Continuation of the name. Green Louis Vuitton standard. The simple beauty in the perfume collection - much like the cactus in the desert.

3. Fragrance:
An independent creation with well perceptible lemongrass, fresh bergamot and a little sweet rose geranium. A subtle hint of mate, the incense is barely perceptible. An overall refreshing, green fragrance with the typical Louis Vuitton linear scent progression.

The comparison drawn several times to the Wulong Cha is for me little comprehensible. Where the Wulong Cha is dominant, namely the teen note, the Cactus Garden is restrained. In addition, the Wulong Cha lacks the green notes.

4. Durability and Sillage:
As announced for me the main reason for writing this review. The durability is not objectionable on my skin for a fresh fragrance. After four hours, it becomes close to the body, where it remains perceptible for another 2-3 hours. Certainly not a "beast", but I can only encourage you to give the fragrance a chance on your own skin, as there seem to be major differences.

The price is also too high in my eyes with 225 euros. By the 140 euros for a 100 ml refill, it is for me from the second run at an acceptable price-performance ratio.

MajorTom
Hot town, summer in the city..
The summer of 2021 kind of didn't really happen from my perspective.

From a purely meteorological point of view, he was limited to a few, easily countable on two hands days, but then they were hot as a bull, otherwise he drew attention to himself rather by recurring rainfall.

From a purely mood-related point of view, it was a very strange summer for me, in which many wanted to somehow come back to normal, but did not manage it, the usual meetings with friends went somehow with the handbrake on, everything in the sign of Covid.

In this respect, you ask yourself as a writer of a review then also the question of whether it is in view of the current situation at all announced to judge a summer fragrance, but I find, despite all adversity, just the perfume world is part of a beautiful life with a piece and some successful fragrance can be quite a real mood lifter.

Who enters nowadays a Louis Vuitton Store, which stands at the smell bar an almost unmanageable selection of smells opposite and here the orientation to keep, does not fall completely easily. It is therefore recommended in advance to do some research, so as not to paralyze the nose after three minutes by too many alternatives.

This time it was the turn of Cactus Garden and although there are summer fragrances like the proverbial sand by the sea, it stands out in its own special way, which can certainly be considered a compliment to the perfumer. The fact is, we are talking about a completely independent fragrance, which I have also in a similar way so never smelled anywhere else, plus a high recognition effect and that is already worthy of all honor.

The prelude forms on my skin a mixture of lemon (but not the coarse from the citrus cleaner, but a very fine nuance), plus a few grass notes, combined with a sip of tea (but also the not black and heavy, but very subtle and perfectly fitting). A sensationally successful start in my opinion, light, fresh, elegant. A holiday landscape forms in my mind's eye, a mixture of Tuscan old town and waterfront somewhere on the boot. My thoughts slip away and I give them the same space as the fragrance to fully develop.

After about two hours, a hint of bergamot emerges, but not the kind you would know from Bergamotto di Calabria (Acqua di Parma) or Bergamoto 22 (Le Labo), for example. Gossamer, but still audible, she joins the existing ensemble and enriches the creation to a wonderful result.

Again, after two more hours, the drydown begins, with me, unfortunately, with a somewhat sweetish note, which I now do not find so great, but just with the development of a fragrance over time, that may look / smell completely different on other skin types as well.

What do we have here at the bottom line?
- Fragrance: An extremely successful interpretation of a summer fragrance, for me rather in the masculine corner (may one actually still say that times of LGBTQ?), wearable by boys and older (how are these actually correctly counter-gendered?), although I see basically people with a penchant for modernity as the typical wearer. The mixture of fresh, green and equally light components (some green representatives blow one away with their mustiness) has really class.
- Durability: Summer fragrances have almost all the same theme. They disappear as quickly as they came. With Cactus Garden, the shelf life can be by some brave sprays more quite drive up in the direction of 8-9 hours.
- Sillage: Virtually all LV fragrances is an initial immense sillage inherent, which can be extended, as just mentioned, by vigorous spraying neat. To what extent one wants to spray with such a high-priced part but generously, not to say lavishly around itself, everyone must know for themselves.
- Flacon: Fits in optics and feel perfectly to the brand. High-quality, heavy and a magnetic closure that clicks in. There is nothing to complain.
- Price: Of course, you can lead the question into the field, whether 100ml are really worth 225 stones. But honestly, who buys bags, belts, scarves, etc. from LV, for the price is not a real basis for discussion. The brand's high price policy also applies to perfumes. The value offered is okay from my point of view.

A really convincing overall package, who has already finished with the summer 21, which can at least mark the fragrance as a potential candidate for a hopefully outstanding summer 2022.
Valcore
Unfortunately a masterpiece with considerable weaknesses
I recently had the pleasure of entering a Louis Vuitton store for the first time in my life. With great enthusiasm, I pounced on the perfumes on display and let an employee spray the individual fragrances on a test strip. I had heard about Cactus Garden in advance and was very excited about the fragrance. And my expectations were not disappointed.

Cactus Garden surprised me with a previously unknown to me fragrance. A mixture of tea, mate and green notes, paired with cactus and a splash of lemon and bergamot. Unfortunately, I lacked the necessary change. 225€ are already steep for 100ml.

At least I left the store with some fragrance samples in my luggage, including a sample of Cactus Garden. And yes, what can I say. The more I used the fragrance, the more I loved it. Especially on hot, sunny days Cactus Garden comes to the true development and exudes an außgergewöhnlich great aroma.

The big kink came for me, however, after a short time. Because if the perfume from the house of Louis Vuitton one is missing, then it is durability. Even sprayed on clothes keeps the Cactus Garden maximum 2-3 hours. After that, you perceive at most a breath and also only if you go with the nose very close.

The sillage is similarly modest. Well I must admit, durability is usually a problem with fresh summery fragrances. But I find at 225€ you just expect more for your money. Really very sad. Louis Vuitton has created here a decidedly great unique fragrance. If this would be priced in the range of 60€ - 100€, then I would still buy it, even if the shelf life is miserable. But at just under 2 hours shelf life, the price of 225€ for 100ml is simply an extremely poor price-performance ratio.

Stupidly, there are also never discounts at Louis Vuitton. Therefore, my recommendation: Buy this fragrance only if you really do not have to watch the money. Otherwise, you can get hold of you maybe the one or the other sample of Cactus Garden somewhere.
Because great this fragrance is all the time and the bottle I find also extremely pretty designed.
Fragleo
Love at first sniff - and then no more?
First of all, I would like to clarify that I did not buy the fragrance blind (very uncharacteristic for me actually).
I smelled Cactus Garden in the spring at a friend of mine in the car. The scent spread wonderfully throughout the interior so that I could not hold back and finally had to ask him what the perfume is called.
I looked for the Louis Vuitton boutique around the corner the very next day. The prices of these perfumes did not deter me (unfortunately), because I was simply in love with this fragrance. And the flacons are so beautifully simple that you would like to hang all lined up in a display case on the wall.
As usual, the advice of the nice staff in the store was exceptionally good. So good that 10 min after entering the store I already went out the door with my little orange bag.

Enough talk about the luxury shopping experience. Now for the scent and why I regret the purchase a little in hindsight.
The fragrance opens with a very pleasant lemongrass note. Combined with the bergamot, it really has a feel-good factor at first. I have never smelled a fresh citrus fragrance that radiates so much luxury.

But somehow there is something missing. Exactly! After a good 2 1/2 hours there is because hardly what to smell. And noseblind I am unfortunately not become. None of my fellow could still perceive the fragrance after such a short time. Over 200€ ? I wear it from time to time when I only have to do short errands. For this he is then super suitable.

Maybe try Afternoon Swim? Or should I completely leave the fingers of this house?

A surprising green
This whole California themed Louis Vuitton line is eye catching. I wonder what made them select California as the theme for a complete line. My first impression of Cactus Garden was pleasant. It reminded of this gelatinous type texture mixed in with a plasticky type undertone. I decided to buy the whole bottle. The bright green color is my favorite part of the fragrance. As the scent settles the Mate note is unmovable it doesn't flow as say LV's "Orage". I use it sparingly and spray light amounts otherwise its overwhelming.

Minoas
Uplifting, potent, but certainly not groundbreaking - crowd pleaser
I love it! It is sparkly, fresh, very tenacious, with good silage.
I don't think that it is a treasure, especially for the price and the prestige of LV, simply because it reminds me a lot of Cartier's Declaration Cologne, that I cannot find anymore. When I write reminds me I mean that Cactus Garden feels to me like that Cartier's offering on STEROIDS. I liked Declaration Cologne and I do like Cactus Garden. There is a sense of quality but what I find more is a sense of richesse that is synonymous with LV, more than things such as innovation, niche, etc. This is why I am sure CG will do very well in the global market. A crowd pleaser indeed. I will certainly cherish my decant ... one spray at a time!
Crunchy cacti
Cactus Garden surprised me But why? Green bottle, green packaging: a "green scent" was to be expected after all. Yes, but I have not yet smelled a fragrance that would be similar to it. That's why I find it very interesting and original.

At the beginning it is clearly citric. Bergamot and lemongrass can be easily spotted. Always backed by tangy, green notes. In this case the green has nothing to do with trees or even woods. The name says it all here: Cactus Garden. Because that's exactly how I imagine the scent inside the cactuses, if they were to be broken apart: tart, watery and jelly-like, fresh and interspersed with a green scent reminiscent of unripe fruit In addition to all this, a light, green-tart teeny note remains in the background, probably the maté tea mentioned here, which fits perfectly into the overall picture.
In the course of time, the influence of citrus fruits fades away and soapy notes come more and more to the fore. Fortunately, however, I don't find this one biting and overwhelming - as I often do with soapy scents. Instead, here they look more like a delicately foaming luxury soap, which together with the crisp green notes forms a perfect interplay: fresh, green, clean, cultivated.
In this way, the fragrance lasts for about 4 hours, until it is then hardly noticeable anymore.

CONCLUSION
If you have always been looking for a clean, green-fresh fragrance, you should at least try it here. Cactus Garden has a high-quality composition and comes in a beautiful flacon.
Whether it is worth its price is a matter for each individual to decide. Not for me personally. I like the fragrance very much, but it is not love - and at this price it should be!
Querido mate, sos vos?!
First of all, I have to say in front of my comment that years ago and in the course of two monkey stays lasting several months, I fell all the more, immortally in love with the Argentine capital Buenos Aires. Along with this unbroken love for the Argentine capital, it went to a brew almost ubiquitous in the Rio de la Plata region: the mate - which, because of its bitterness, can often cause the funniest facial distortions in European palates during a first tasting. Of course we are talking about the real leaves of the Mate plant, chopped and then smoked (which by the way belongs to the cactuses) and in a so-called Calabaza as an infusion through a metal straw drunk hot drink. The raw material for this drink, which in my opinion bears little resemblance to the Mate soft drinks that have become fashionable here in Germany, is yerba mate. Since my first stay in Argentina, the daily enjoyment of the Mate in its traditional version has been an indispensable part of my life and accompanies me through every day with its touching, concentration-promoting and at the same time invigorating effect. Why am I telling you this? Well, Mate is one of the three main notes of the new release from Louis Vuitton.

So, after this detailed prologue, we finally come to the fragrance Cactus Garden to be discussed: My expectation to get a portable mate in fragrance form was unfortunately disappointed. After I had sprayed the filling on my arm, I deliberately smelled alternately at the sprayed skin area, at my Calabaza with the freshly infused mate and for safety's sake even at my current 1kg package of the Yerba Mate (Nobleza Gaucha, my favourite Argentine yerba). Unfortunately I could not find any similarities. What I get from Cactus Garden instead is a faint, only very close, citric note in the first half hours, which barely hits me from my socks and quietly reminds me of the better (and much cheaper) Artisan Pure by John Varvatos
But you are wrong about the fragrance if you judge it purely by its boring top note. In the drydown Cactus Garden develops much more beautifully, and even if still no mate, the lemongrass with bergamot admixture appears more and more clearly. Whatever that may be, it seems to me that the Sillage - after it was barely perceptible in the top note - now unfolds much better and the scent can now, even if weakly, not only be perceived when sniffing directly at the sprayed area.

Nevertheless, it's all in all a very unspectacular and fleeting unisex spring/summer scent for the price, which smells pleasantly bergamottig-lemongrass and won't bother anyone, but in my opinion neither offers anything new, nor is it able to portray what's being commanded in a way that somehow stands out. The shy fresh citrus lemongrass note lasts about four hours on the skin before Cactus Garden fades away like many citric scents in a discreetly sweet woody skin note. The search for the olfactory essence of my liquid life elixir, the mate, must therefore continue.

SflyteSflyte 1 month ago
A feel good scent. Fresh but calm. Definitely get herbal and dewy green notes. Understated in a good way.
TRehfTRehf 9 months ago
Fresh, clean, a little green, unique, good longevity (>8h) on my skin. Sadly underrated and a bit overpriced. Still great quality.
KingPinKingPin 3 years ago
Lemon grass with some bergamot. Not my thing.

Kaktusgarten #3
In den Kakteen
Auf der anderen Seite: Ein Garten

Popular Louis Vuitton

Ombre Nomade by Louis Vuitton Afternoon Swim by Louis Vuitton Sur la Route by Louis Vuitton Orage by Louis Vuitton Imagination by Louis Vuitton Nouveau Monde by Louis Vuitton L'Immensité by Louis Vuitton Les Sables Roses by Louis Vuitton Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton Mille Feux by Louis Vuitton Matière Noire by Louis Vuitton Sun Song by Louis Vuitton Contre Moi by Louis Vuitton On The Beach by Louis Vuitton Dans la Peau by Louis Vuitton Cœur Battant by Louis Vuitton California Dream by Louis Vuitton Météore by Louis Vuitton Le Jour se Lève by Louis Vuitton Nuit de Feu by Louis Vuitton