Sur la Route 2018

Sur la Route by Louis Vuitton
Bottle Design Marc Newson
Sur la Route is a popular perfume by Louis Vuitton for men and was released in 2018. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Calabrian citronCalabrian citron
Calabrian bergamotCalabrian bergamot
GrassGrass
Peru balsamPeru balsam
Pink pepperPink pepper
NutmegNutmeg
White muskWhite musk

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 30.09.2021.

Dunki
I'll carry you anywhere....
About the fragrances of LV I have not only positive can write. There are just always such and such.... But the Sur la Route I found from the beginning great, delicious, wonderful. The fragrance is not really new. Maybe even quite profane, simple.

As the TV chef would say at such moments: simple food always tastes especially good, if only the ingredients are of the highest quality! That could apply here too.

Sur la Route I have now for some time and it has also taken some time until he came so really good with me. What makes him so special for me?

I'll start at the back: the bottle is simple but beautifully shaped and I love the rather heavy cap that reliably closes magnetically. Great made. And of course the possibility to refill the empty bottle. Sustainable thought. Beautiful!

I guess the whole packaging kerfuffle around it is just part of this luxury brand. I do not need it, but ok, is just so

Now to the fragrance:
The beginning is quite citrusy, quite clearly hit citronate and bergamot through. But does not remain so for long. Quite quickly comes the grass note, which I find very nice, it makes the fragrance somehow calm. And he is thus no purely typical citrus fragrance but in detail already more than what you know so in summer fragrances.
Summer fragrance? Is he for me anyway not 100%. I even find that S.l.R. can be sluggish almost 365 days. Times a few really cold days excluded. Since it must be then but a little more Bums.

Very light pepper (if it were too much pepper, I would not like it either), nutmeg and not least the light musk note make it the universal fragrance. Very elegant, but still wearable in leisure to everything. Quiet but always present, adult but not stale.

If I had to compare it with a car: the Range Rover among the fragrances. I can drive up to the opera with it and offroaden the next Saturday, he does everything with and still looks damn good. OK price-wise, both are also placed in the upper league. But all in all I think it's worth investing here! It's just all very well tuned and I imagine that everything is also mixed quite high quality.

In my short statement I described a scene in Italy. Still fits today. But I would say the Sur la Route is a globetrotter. No matter where you are, the Sur la Route always fits. Whether on the sunny Amalfi coast, in sultry China or in cool Scandinavia

Thus, I will probably continue to wear him very very much. No matter where and when and how often. Empty will be filled. For sure.
Give him time!
At least that's how it was for me. When I bought my Ombre Nomade, I bought, among other things, a sample of Sur la Route, which of course I had to test immediately. My first encounter with the fragrance was difficult. The lemon is extremely dominant and didn't appeal to me at first smell, so it disappeared again in my sample collection. After some time, I decided to give it a second chance, where I liked it much better. I guess there's more to it than just lemon. The third time he has then finally opened to me in its complexity, what a horny summer scent!

The fragrance starts, (spoiler alert) very citrusy, with a very natural and very present citronatnote, which is neither too sour nor in any way bitter, which also remains spotlight over the entire period. After about two hours, the lemon does take a bit of a backseat, allowing the other scents to join it. He slowly gets a very mild peppery and then also the special twist in the fragrance comes out: grass!
Under this you can now imagine little, so imagine the following: It's spring, the sun has so slowly really power. You go outside the front door and your neighbor has just mowed the lawn. That's the note that triggers flight reflexes in allergy sufferers, but mostly brings feelings of happiness to others, and that's exactly what this scent does. But don't worry, my girlfriend also has an allergy to grasses and at least she hasn't run away from me yet because of this perfume. :D On the contrary, she also really likes him.
In the drydown, the citrus notes also remain noticeable, but the fragrance then gets a very light, from me not closer definable green touch.

The fragrance itself is extremely high quality and has, like most perfumes of the brand a little twist that makes it extremely special. Durability and sillage are extremely good for a citrus-fresh fragrance. On the clothes I take him even after a good three days still well perceived.

Now to the price. What I do not understand is why the fragrances of LV are generally poorly rated here in terms of price / performance. Yes, they are expensive, but for most fragrances, the price is simply justified for the quality of the scents. And there I want to limit myself now specifically to the Sur La Route: a citrus-fresh fragrance with such a performance and a very creative twist by the grass note can be found highly rare.

In summary: Extremely creative summer fragrance that I can highly recommend!
Un gentleman par excellence
The Louis Vuitton brand is a splitter. For some, it is (shopping) heaven on earth, for others it is simply overpriced designer goods that are sold to some affected, nouveau riche or wannabe full-figure post. Of course you can be divided about the luxury temples, where LV brings the produced products to the solvent man or the financially independent lady, you can also be divided about the clientele that buys there, but everyone will admit, what goes over the counter there has a certain class.

Whether you ultimately like something or not is always a matter of your own taste and what you buy is usually the result of personal preferences on the one hand, and the size of your wallet or the power of your credit card on the other. In this respect, I think, live and let live, everyone spends money - how and where is up to everyone. Some people buy bags, others cars, other clothes, then there are people who bash their heads in with cigarette smoke and alcohol and there are even those who invest hundreds of Euros in perfumes :-)

After I was very much taken with L' Immensité, now my second comment on a LV fragrance and I really must admit, the boys don't spill, they spill. With the same attention to detail as the bags and other accessories, they obviously approached the production of the fragrance line. The order must have been: Create a fragrance that is just like our brand itself: noble, exclusive and with a high recognition value.

There is no question that the concept has also been perfectly implemented with Sur la Route. When I read "zitrisch-frisch", my expectations sank not only to normal zero but immediately into the negative range, because how many zitrisch-frisch fragrances are already on the market? Does it really need another one?
Well, when two people do the same thing, it's far from the same. And, to add another phrase: Better is the enemy of good! That's about how you could put it in a nutshell, but let's take a closer look at the creation of fragrances.

At first the start really surprised me and I don't mean that positively. The lemon in the top note is almost pungent and sharp at first, simply unpleasant. Fortunately, this quickly subsides and what remains is a very citric opening that smells quite good. Until then nothing special, the further development will be interesting for me. Because the lemon takes a back seat, remains easily audible but not omnipresent and gives way to a green, fresh and bergamot-like note. I have a few bergamot representatives at home, be it Bergamotto di Calabria by AdP (I love for its masculine aura), Bergamot 22 by Le Labo (the fine one of this kind), but this final result of arranging bergamot has not yet come to my mind. Because not only bergamot per se is presented, but this light green touch goes along with it.

If I were store manager of an LV temple, I would instruct the sales clerks to spray the whole store with it every hour. To create an ambience that I only know from Hermes flagship stores, where this cloud of scent always hovers.

The all-important question, whether or not you buy a fragrance in the end, is: Do I want to smell like this? My answer: YESSSSS. Just like this. An elegant, self-confident, extraordinary and yet pleasing fragrance. Gentleman-like. And with that, he also sets the tone a bit. With Sur la Route, I can't imagine a metal rock fan with the best will in the world. Always with a suit. But also for smart casual clothes, because a fragrance ultimately underlines the personality of the wearer and not that of the clothes. Whether young or old, everyone should test and decide for themselves. Seasonally, I think it is widely applicable, although perhaps not necessarily in sub-zero temperatures and snow.

Sillage and shelf life: Very remarkable for a fresh fragrance. Unfortunately, most of the representatives of this variety bend too quickly and disappear through the back door. Here too, LV stands out from the crowd. Office-filling, engaging, leaving an almost frighteningly lasting impression on clothing. Making a statement for hours without shouting or annoying. You are there and good is.

I can tell: I'm very enthusiastic. And it's hard to be hard to inspire.

Louis Vuitton has added an outstanding fragrance to its product portfolio that fits perfectly and seamlessly into the overall range. And thus also justifies the still high price, albeit in absolute terms.
Warilol
Hey Mercedes, abort route guidance please!
Holiday at last! Full of anticipation I feed the navigation system with my upcoming destination, off I go! But then the shock of a flat tire on the way... Disappointed, I command my navigation system to stop the route guidance, the well-deserved holiday will have to wait.

This or at least something similar I can symbolically describe my experience with Sur la Route. In the beginning absolutely enthusiastic and full of anticipation, it turned out to be a prudish and in practice a bit boring citrus scent for me personally in the later course of time.

When I look at the bottle and the color of the perfume, they reflect very well the scenario that Sur la Route creates in me. A man dressed in a classic yet very modern way while walking through a Mediterranean landscape. Mirages caused by the scorching heat flicker across the road, while the grasses at the edge round off the concert with their hectic dance movements. The landscape is coloured in pastel colours, the heat has almost completely robbed it of its fertility. But appearances are deceptive, high up in the tree tops you can still find the last remnants of late summer, overripe but still juicy citrus fruits, which round off the dust-dry walk with a short refreshment.

I like to compare this scent with Bond No9s Bleecker Street, because in my opinion you can find the same DNA here, even if the scents themselves are completely different to be perceived.
Where Bleecker Street for me is a picnic with fruits on a squeaky green meadow, Sur la Route for me represents the scenario described above. But both scents have one thing in common: A citric start followed by a grassy base.

Sur la Route starts pleasantly with a very authentic but at the same time reserved citrus note, which is quickly underpinned by a grass smell that is slightly musty in my eyes, which I associate with grass dried out by heat. Attention, we are not talking about vetiver here! To me, all of this seems very classic, but still timelessly modern and by no means mainstream, although this is basically a normal designer fragrance.

But where is my problem with this scent now? Well, on my skin this fragrance seems very simple and fast moving. I hardly notice the beautiful citrus note, especially on my skin, resulting in a slightly musty grass note, as already described. Probably this is also where the associations with leather come from! In addition, I don't even notice the scent anymore after an hour, the projection, at least for me as a wearer, is simply almost non-existent. My environment has also perceived this scent rather neutrally or not at all. For me this is rather unsatisfactory, so why spend 230€ for a designer fragrance that was really convincing only on paper (test strips) for me?

Nevertheless, Sur la Route is a very nice designer scent, but in my opinion it is not worth 230€ in the end. When I spend such sums, I want to perceive and enjoy the scent, and not just a few minutes
3lbows
Self-discovery in the supermarket or: When a summer scent marks your territory.
I am one of those who like Dior's new Homme. Unobtrusive, but well done. A 5-series BMW. Or a Miele mixer Now Sur la Route comes into play. After the two reviewers I appreciate had recently gone through, and it seems to be generally in vogue at the moment, I too allowed myself a bottling. Many thanks at this point to Schücha!
Min's first impression was: You just tested it. Was it really that good? Dior's Homme 2020 - yes exactly! Citrusy, fresh, woody, classic, that's how I would describe them briefly and concisely. But where Homme 2020 is very reserved, and its fragrances more or less only hinted at, Sur la Route plays like an orchestra. I have the impression that I'm experiencing every single phase. From the fresh, citric top note, which is soon skilfully complemented by leather, to the woody finish, which really has an eternal effect and knows how to conjure up a smile every now and then, that's Homme's great perfume cinema. Where you're presented with a pretty but static painting in Dior's well-crafted comparison candidates, Sur la Route tells a complete story, or leads us through a harmoniously composed aria bursting with details. The fragrance plays loud, clearly perceptible and self-confident, but not annoying with gimmicky notes. I had already tried to pick up the scent of a very pleasant, woody, fine-sweet aftershave the next day while shopping, only to discover that it was the after-effect of Sur la Route on my own sweater.
However, I cannot recommend it completely without reservation. It is just not as universally applicable as Homme 2020. If you play this Vuitton, more is expected of you, at least a 7 and/or a Thermomix.
Eau de medical gardener?
What is this cut grass supposed to be? Do I have to worry as an allergy sufferer and why is everyone here talking about leather, although none is listed?

Okay, that the scent is citric, you can easily tell from the scents. But what is it about this Calabria? Calabria is the region in the toe of the Italian boot. But is it not enough to say that it is Italian citrus fruit? When you cook spaghetti together with good friends after contact restrictions, do you put Italian hard cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano on the table? Because just like Parmesan, Calabrian bergamot oil has a protected designation of origin. 90% of the world's bergamot oil production comes from Calabria and Calabria is the only region in the world where the Diamond Lemon Lemon is cultivated. You cannot cut a glass with this lemon, but it is named after the city.

Now if you have a headache from all the facts, I recommend that you slice a lemon (or lime) freshly open, drizzle a splash of the juice into your mouth and drink an espresso with it.

Okay, but do the Calabrian citrus fruits make the scent special and doesn't the scent vanish very quickly? The citrus fruits alone do not make the scent special, but they do contribute to it, because the citric should not smell like toilet cleaner even to the layman. Moreover, the citric lasts longer than average, carried by the Peru balsam.
Achja the Peru balsam. the reason why the fragrance has an absolutely sympathetic aura for me, because it smells "medical" to me. Medicinal sounds for you perhaps first of all funny, you probably think of the smell of disinfectant, I associate with it rather the clean, fresh aura which medical practices and doctors radiate and with it differently cleanly freshly than an amber note.
In addition, the scent of cut grass, which I can also smell as an allergy sufferer, grounds the scent and therefore the scent has no hint of the unapproachable God in white. The cut grass in combination with the Peru balsam makes the scent something special. Because it is scents that are used less often and yet are perceived positively. The citric, which otherwise always leaves me very quickly, resonates with me, with a shelf life of more than 8 hours, of course at the beginning more than in the later course.

Okay, I don't notice any leather, thank God. But (white) musk, which is indicated on the product page of Louis Vuitton and additionally provides a feeling of freshness. Leather would make it look less fresh, which is why I fortunately say.

All in all, I find that the fragrance reflects the image of a retired doctor who grows citrus fruits in Calabria. For me, the fragrance is a fresh and unique scent
Intrepid
Synthetic or not, the main thing is to like it! Right? ...or not? :)
Wow... two comments on the statement within a few minutes, then I have to explain it briefly:
The head of 'Sur la Route' (SLR) reminds me very much of the synthetic and the impression of engine oil of '#87, Series Three' by Six Scents, which can be seen in the background...
I'm sorry to say it like this.

Sur la Route' is supposed to have lemon and lemonade lemon?
When I think of citron lemon I think of 'L'Etrog' by Arquiste, where I can smell and feel the sweetness and tart note of citron lemon,
in SLR here I smell something that seems citric or lemony or lemon-like, but overall for me disappears in the synthetic overall picture.

And when I think of the fragrance 'lemon', I think of the lemony impression of 'Monsieur Balmain', for example.

And the scent of 'cut grass':
probably refers to the synthesised produced substance 'cis-3-hexenol', which corresponds to the natural molecule contained in the plant cells of grass and released when it is cut.
As far as one can smell this substance at all individually, I smell it most likely in
"Ichnvsa" by Profumum Roma,
than here in Sur la Route.

And I also smelled bergamot in other fragrances better, more intense than here.

Some commentators here at Parfumo mention a leather note.
In contrast to perfume, Fragrantica also includes leather in the fragrance pyramid.
I know what the comments mean by leather,
when I smell 'Sur la Route' but the leather note is here,
in my opinion,
very faint and 'reminiscent' of leather and then only in a rather artificial way, far away from the leather in 'Knize Ten' or the likewise semi-synthetic 'Cuiron' by Helmut Lang, which come to my mind spontaneously.

I have summarized these feelings in my statement,
because at the end of the day, Sur la Route is not a fragrance I would call natural.
I really have nothing against partly synthetic or fully synthetic fragrances,
i find a mix of synthetics and natural appearing ingredients very interesting.
But if I can somehow smell each of the listed scents a little bit and then only synthetically, then it is for me a synthetic scent overall
and there's hardly anything natural in that fragrance.
Hence this statement.

Apart from that, I think that too little is said here about perfume and not enough about the synthetic ingredients.
Here and there the most famous artificial substances, such as Cashmeran, Hedione, Iso E Super and and and and... as they are all called, are called
but that in many, many fragrances of the last years a lot or only synthetic substances are used, this is not discussed so much here at Parfumo
or rather, the scent specifications of many perfumes do not reflect this fact.

The fragrances often only tell you how the scent is intended to smell, although often little or none of the fragrances listed is a natural substance.
There are many artificial fragrances that smell a little like a lot of things,
e.g. a little bit like apple and e.g. a little bit like leather
and then the fragrance is listed as apple and leather and it is assumed that there is really apple and leather in it.
But this is NOT the case with very, very many scents at all! And if you then use several artificial fragrances in one perfume, there is olfactory overlap and the fragrance takes on a different direction and suddenly smells, for example, of moss or grass
or autumn or an association that reminds of autumn!
These artificial substances are cheaper than the natural ingredients,
they are also more stable in quality. And a mass corporation like Louis Vuitton wants to sell a lot and expensively over a long period of time what it has produced cheaply.
Expensive, natural ingredients do not fit into mass production.

And it is exactly the same (in my opinion!) with 'Sur la Route'.
Cikoxo
Lower expectations and don't fall for the hype
Hello Parfumo Community,
as a long-time (accountless) reader and fan of this site and its community I created an account some time ago and (a few days ago) decided to become an active part of this wonderful community.
Thanks to my first and incredibly nice sharing partner Norleans, who made it possible for me to test this fragrance in a 5ml sample. Everything went smoothly, we also had a nice chat about other things and I am happy that my first experience with Parfumo was so enjoyable.
Before I get to the scent, I ask for your understanding. Understand that this is my first comment. Understanding that I am still inexperienced in writing comments. Understanding for my subjective opinion.

About the fragrance itself:
The prelude is, as can be read from the scents, citric. We speak here of quite fresh, qualitative and (unfortunately) entertainingly citric. This pleasant citrus note fades very quickly and, admittedly, flows very harmoniously into a grassy, leathery composition in which this wonderful and authentic lemon can only be seen again quietly and in the distance.
Cut grass as a scent is very unusual, but incredibly precise. With your eyes closed, you could really think you're lying in a heap of cut grass, while in the background someone is peeling lemons and pressing this peel.
In this performance, the person lying down is wearing an old (again high-quality) leather jacket Because it clearly smells leathery. Without wanting to rip the smell great, but it definitely smells slightly musty. Not unpleasant or disgustingly musty, but clearly and thank God only subtly musty and this association cannot be denied. At least for my nose But this does not mean in the overall picture that the Sur la Route makes a bad smell. For me, it is just not a fragrance that deserves the praise that it gets here for the most part. Praises that almost made me buy this fragrance blind. I am a fan of leather scents. I'm a fan of citrus scents. I should worship the scent on principle, but I don't. And this is largely due to the distribution of leather/grass/citrus. This fragrance is not citric with leathery, grassy nuances or leathery with citric nuances.
Potential buyers and interested parties must be aware that this is not a clean-cut/fresh-citrus scent, which gains in distinctiveness and depth from the leather and grass notes.
This is a mature, mature, grassy, musty leather scent with citric nuances, which definitely stands out for its quality and uniqueness as a unique fragrance. But not the fragrance I was hoping for And with that I definitely see this fragrance on a more mature, smarter guy, who values quality and distinctiveness instead of pleasing people. He must not care about this slight mugginess, he must even love it. He should be a fan of rich, tangy weed. He shouldn't be a fan of the first sniffer.

Personally, I don't really like this fragrance, especially not for this price.
To this I must say Sur la Route should in my opinion critically evaluated due to the high price.
It is not a bad scent, but not a groundbreaking invention or perfection of an everyday scent.
It is pleasant, special and of high quality, but fair to the price? I would say no But I find the ratings here most deceptive, especially in the Sillage area. The Sillage is VERY discreet and after 2 sprays on the upper arm it can only be smelled close to the skin and difficultly by an air blast.
There will probably be an addition to the shelf life, as this is more or less my first reaction or first hour with the fragrance.
I've only seen the bottle in photos, but the whole LV range is just right for me. Subtle, clear, noble. Favored.

I found it important to write this comment, because I
1. wanted to cherish my first experience with Parfumo and Norleans
2. i was missing a critical comment on the fragrance in contrast to the statements
3. really do not consider the fragrance to be special

Friends of Sur la Route should enjoy a high quality fragrance. Those who want to become it and other interested parties, I can only recommend to test this fragrance before a purchase.
DerDefcon
Louis Vuitton has done it for the second time.
"Sur la Route" is the second fragrance from the house of Louis Vuitton and just like "Orage", my entry into the world of fragrances of the French decadent fashion house, it is a candidate that I liked from the start - whether better or worse than the thundery, vetiver-heavy scent brother is a matter of debate and will be discussed later.

As with "Orage", we are dealing with a rather simply appearing scent creation. It may be that the pyramid of scents lists a lot more in this case, but in the end what counts is what reaches the nose - lemon, cut grass, leather.
The lemon is fresh and not biting, in no way reminiscent of disinfectants or toilet stones. The grass is fresh and juicy instead of musty and dried out. The leather is subtle and pleasant for my nose - something that not many fragrances can create, which includes that. All this together results in an incredibly round fragrance experience, in which the initially quite dominant lemon is immediately tamed, but always remains perceptible in the background. The cut, fresh grass blends exquisitely with the leather, which reminds me strongly of "Santal 33" from Le Labo, except that with the Louis Vuitton creation I do not feel the need to get the scent off my skin as quickly as possible. The grass-leather-combination in "Santal 33" is not a very pleasant one for my nose, because it lacks freshness completely. The green leather smells musty here and is simply unappetizing for me. Sur la Route' prevents the development of such a fragrance by using a lemon in the background to create the necessary freshness and prevent the above-mentioned mustiness. In addition, this lemon even manages to remain on the skin for quite a long time, although this is actually a fundamentally volatile fragrance, just as is usually the case with grasses. It is quite possible that the leather I like so much is able to bundle those light scents and secure their existence.
And yes, that smell is always there. Just like with "Orage" I catch my nose again and again, how it hears this smell even after hours. This fragrance experience is even more intense for the environment than for the wearer. In both creations, "Orage" as well as "Sur la Route", the nose adapts apparently extraordinarily fast, allows only very difficult conclusions to be drawn about its own external effect, only to catch a few scent impressions from time to time. I can't shake off the suspicion that the company Lous Vuitton uses ISO E. This would explain a lot. And lo and behold ... on Fragrantica, both "Orage" and "Sur la Route" list that fragrance component - unlike here on Parfumo. Whether it is included or not, in the end, only plays a minor role for me. Both scents last long enough and are perceptible, even if difficult to assess, for me and my environment. I don't really care how all this happens and how it is made possible.

In summary, we can say that Louis Vuitton has now grabbed me with the second fragrance I tested. A purchase decision between the two greens would be difficult for me, as far as the finances allowed, but I think that the grip would still go to the thundery, hazy, fresher "Orage", even if with "Sur la Route" something really great has succeeded.

PS: "L'Immensité" is ready for the next Louis Vuitton test ;)
Walking alone at night..
I seek solitude that appears in the darkness...
Dry is the grass around me...
My hand is roaming...
Tears flow, thoughts are united...
I wonder why...
Yet there is no return...
It hurts to touch...
Fresh memories don't want to go by...
All because of stupid decisions...
I wonder where...
A slight hint of truth hits me in the heart...
My soul shattered into pieces...
The words come out of me without thinking...
My feelings now only felt as pain...
Am I looking for someone to heal me...
The moon shines to distract me...
Enveloped by an aura, this moment is...
We'll never be apart again...
You are my air...
Sur la Route, my scent..

EstbienlaEstbienla 2 months ago
Simplistic-like ingredients, but the quality is exceptional. For lovers of fresh perfumes to wear in all seasons
RisingChaosRisingChaos 2 months ago
Uber-fresh, juicy citruses like peeling them by hand with the oils misting in your face. A soft leather lies beneath. Terrible performance.
SuperfredeSuperfrede 7 months ago
MontBlanc Starwalker with a luxury twist
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Sur la Route starts with nice citruses and a note of grass with a medicinal touch. You also get spices, wood and white musk.

by Ghosa
by MichaelS2019
by Chris5ch
by Chris5ch

Popular Louis Vuitton

Ombre Nomade by Louis Vuitton Afternoon Swim by Louis Vuitton Orage by Louis Vuitton Imagination by Louis Vuitton Nouveau Monde by Louis Vuitton Les Sables Roses by Louis Vuitton L'Immensité by Louis Vuitton Mille Feux by Louis Vuitton Matière Noire by Louis Vuitton Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton Cactus Garden by Louis Vuitton Contre Moi by Louis Vuitton Sun Song by Louis Vuitton Dans la Peau by Louis Vuitton On The Beach by Louis Vuitton Cœur Battant by Louis Vuitton California Dream by Louis Vuitton Le Jour se Lève by Louis Vuitton Météore by Louis Vuitton Nuit de Feu by Louis Vuitton