Akkad 2012

Akkad by Lubin
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Top 60 in Unisex Perfume
Akkad is a popular perfume by Lubin for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is resinous-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin orange, Clary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesElemi resin, Cardamom, Styrax, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Labdanum, Patchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 26.10.2020.

In doubt for doubt
What do Roja Dove, Sylvaine Delacourte and Gilles Thévenin have in common? Who knows the answer? Right, Guerlain. This traditional company employs the most talented perfumers and merchants, some of whom later become independent. Roja Dove and Sylvaine Delacourte are now launching perfume under their own names, not so Gilles Thévenin. To him, but even more so, let's first take a little trip back in time.

We are in the 18th century in France. Pierre-François Lubin is only 10 years old and lives with his parents near the Parisian studio of a famous perfumer. His name is Jean-Louis Fargeon and with him he makes an apprenticeship. He awakens the love of Pierre-François already in his childhood for fragrance essences. The boy Lubin is 18 when he leaves his patron and with him the capital, which has been shaken by the revolution. In Grasse he continues his education, and with Master Tombarelli he learns the "Italian method". When the political waves slowly smoothed, he returned to Paris and completed his knowledge with his old patron. Lubin becomes not only an outstanding perfumer, but also an extremely skilful businessman. He opens his first maison called "Au Bouquet de Roses" in Paris. Lubin expands and exports his creations - as the first fragrance house ever - to America. His clientele includes Empress Joséphine - the wife of Napoleon - the English King George IV and Tsar Alexander I. He achieved a lot, fame, honour and fortune paved his way through life. Only one thing is not granted to him, there is no male heir, no one to take over his manufactory from the family.

Felix Prot, his former apprentice and loyal employee, continues the business. Lubin becomes a successful company professionally run by several generations of the Plot family. What follows in the middle of the twentieth century sounds extremely promising at first. But neither at Henkel, nor at 4711 Fabrikanten Muehlens, nor at Wella did Lubin become a hit. The brand leads a shadowy existence, is miserably lost among the many beauty products.

Salvation came in 2004, when Gilles Thévenin, who had been Guerlain's creative director and head of marketing at Rochas, made a momentous decision, literally pushing himself to the very limits of his comfort zone and even beyond. He sells all his belongings. His prestigious house, his cars and his antiques will soon be enjoyed by new owners. In his own words he describes this time as follows: "My grandmother cried. When I was 45, I was alone in a room, a former servant's quarters. But I was happy. It was almost like getting married. I knew I would dedicate myself to this company. I want to keep this quality perfumery alive".

At the beginning he mainly works with two well-known "noses", with Delphine Thierry and with Thomas Fontaine. Thomas is the architect and also the Indiana Jones of fragrances. He systematically assembles his creations, fragrance building block by fragrance building block, and thus builds "cathedrals". He is also the master of reformulation. Delphine Thierry takes a completely different approach; she is the poet among perfumers, conveys feelings, moods, tells stories. She is also the creator of Akkad.

In many comments and on the website of Lubin it is said that Akkad was created in the style of the Mesopotamian rulers of Akkad - Sargon. "The essence of Akkad is the gift of the beautiful Ishtar, who loved and protected me. It contains the most precious ointments of Pound and the islands of the great sea and those much further away. This amber is like the light that illuminates my kingdom, the most precious treasure of my kingdom". (Quote www.lubin.eu) But that is only half the truth. The first inspiration for Akkad comes from Provance, where Delphine Thierry has been living with her family for a few years. From her house in a small village a stone path leads to the river. Walking along the same path on a summer's day, she thought about the fact that stones have a subtle smell. She enjoyed the scent of spices like thyme, oregano and rockrose. This "glowing area", the sweaty skin, a bath in the river at the end of a hot August day, the exuberant and happy feeling, sensuality, the descending sun were the true emotional sources for Akkad. The fantasy worlds around the later fragrance were later created by Gilles Thévenin. He accompanies every fragrance development, which may well last a year, until the creation is balanced and in harmony with name, bottle and history.

Please forgive the long introduction. I am often as fascinated by the people behind the scenes as I am by their compositions and I find their inspirations stimulating.

To cut a long story short, Thévenin already liked the first fragrance creation by Delphine Thierry very much. The connection between sun, nature, stone and sensuality appealed to him. And indeed, the fleeting beauty of the top note carries the sun in its heart. This light-footed, facing nature, the minimal citric, the fresh herbs and the warm, sensual, slightly human labdanum also took me by storm.

The mineral element is immediately apparent. Gilles Thévenin associates this direction with a temple. At his suggestion, the incense content of the fragrance was increased to emphasize the sacred aspect. Through balsamic notes such as resin, styrax and benzoin and also through amber, Akkad later becomes "physically tangible".

The pyramid suggests a dark scent and, to be honest, does not appeal to me at all. I was completely surprised that although Akkad "Noire" comes from there, the scent shines amazingly bright. To achieve this ambivalence comes close to squaring the circle and gives an idea of the extraordinary talent of Delphine Thierry.

At this point, I would write in other comments about the fact that lovers of incense scents absolutely must test. That all those who love NU from Yves Saint Laurent and Coco or Coco Noire should go straight to the souk and buy a bottling as soon as possible. But I do not do that. Because Akkad is niche perfume in the best sense of the word, a craft of great emotions. Everyone should be able to enjoy it at some point, because few fragrances have as much personality and natural aura as this perfume. The fact that Akkad cannot be worn by everyone is not decisive.

My conclusion: Explore the limits of your comfort zone from time to time, because that's where the adventure begins. And also test against your preferences. When in doubt for the doubt.
Parfümlein
The scent of the cathedrals
It would be ridiculous to write yet another comment on this wonderful fragrance - in my opinion, everything that can be said has been said to convince even the last doubter: Akkad simply has to be tried.
I am currently reading a light but exciting novel, "Fresh Snow" by Lucy Foley, in which one of the female characters, a hip, successful Londoner, is characterized as follows: "Every now and then I get a cloud of her perfume, heavy and smoky. Only she can afford such a thing" (p. 21), "Every time she turned to him to talk to him, he got a gush of her heavy, smoky perfume" (p. 29), and finally: "While he walks behind her, he smells the scent of her perfume again. It has a smoky note that reminds one of a church" (p. 102). But also a male figure is described in this way, and even more fittingly, because here the fragrance is not described as "heavy": "Nick smells like lemon and a touch of incense as always" (p. 75). Neither can be Akkad - Akkad is not heavy like the female figure and the incense is not just a touch like the male figure. Nevertheless I imagine Akkad and variations of Akkad all the time. In any case, the fragrance is not only beautiful, but apparently quite modern. Frankincense, the main note in Akkad, is simply a gigantically beautiful, sacredly evocative fragrance which - if you like it, provided you like it - can put you into deepest relaxation. The multiple associations it provides, the reminiscences of historical events, the sensitive opening it creates, make it an exceptional fragrance for me. In Akkad, this fragrant jewel is perfectly composed with amber, patchouli and vanilla notes to create a harmonious whole. This fragrance is by no means suitable for everyday life, but rather for the sacred moments in life: a visit to an old church, attending Holy Mass, a walk along the Way of St. James, a meditation session.

You should give this fragrance an unrestricted chance if the pyramid appeals to you at first. I personally would be attracted by the fresh top note - but it fades quickly and gives way to the fantastic spice mixture, which gives an impression of deep fullness. In the absolute center of attention is the incense, and it seems to me impossible not to immediately feel a sacred atmosphere here - like most others. Still remembering the Epiphany of yesterday, I see the travellers from the Orient before me, their camels laden with gold, frankincense and myrrh, moving out of the desert on a cool night to approach a stable. I hear their crackling traveling garments, the steady trot of animals, and a verse of a song by Loreena McKennitt comes to my mind, "Caravanserai":

We woke that morning at the onward call / Our camels bridled up, our howdahs full
The sun was rising in the eastern sky / Just as we set out to the desert's cry

These travelers would have worn Akkad.

Charming alluring ancestors.
one of the best amber base sent.
spices and resins polish the amber to not the sweetness of amber be cloying .then vanilla give it more passionate oriental vibe .Akkad is really a high-quality scent.
sophisticated seductive oriental.totally a masterpiece.
Recently in Akkad
When Europe was still in the Stone Age, Sargon ruled over the kingdom of Akkad. His father was a gardener and he himself was only the king's cupbearer. Until one day he met Ishtar (Inanna), the androgynous supreme goddess of the Assyrians, responsible for light, war, political power and much more. Sargon had just brought mandarins and bergamot fruits and had a wreath of clary sage blossoms on his uncrowned head. Ishtar, on the other hand, was mysteriously surrounded by incense swivels of both sexes. We don't know exactly what they were talking about, but Ishtar gave the boy a clay pot of resinous oil. Later Sargon anointed himself with the substance that smelled of cardamom, various resins and vanilla. So he entered the throne room and the old king sank dead from the throne with envy. That's how good Sargon smelled. All the courtiers then fell to the ground in front of Sargon and tried to kiss his feet and, if possible, smear themselves with a grain of the mysterious substance. Sargon was then appointed king, of course.

Sargon wore his divine ointment all year round, but whether we want it or not, we have to find out for ourselves. He only had to rub it in once a day, it held and held. Sargon thus went to war (this can certainly be considered a sport), went to dance events, to the temple of Ishtar and dictated cuneiform texts. The women found the fragrant Sargon very attractive and so he had many descendants. And if they didn't die, they still spray themselves with Akkad from Lubin today.
Pinocchio's love
What a scent!
Almost a fragrance therapy that promises peace, serenity and serenity.
I smell mainly a freshly sawn wood, namely the entire course of the fragrance long. Towards the base, the fragrance becomes a hint of sweet like juicy, firschen wood shavings. Very natural, very balanced. Nothing disturbs here.

All these resins and spices from the pyramid commit a very harmonious liason here. Patchouli ground the scent. Amber gives the fragrance the necessary warmth. The natural vanilla comes out better at the end. Citrus fruits, on the other hand, remain discreetly in the background for my nose, even at the beginning.

I would classify the fragrance as unisex.

I don't see the perfume as an evening fragrance, but as a nice, uncomplicated, high-quality everyday companion. With outstanding durability (the fragrance lasts all day!) and moderate, but good at a perceptible Sillage, this fragrance is a true compliment getter!

Even my mother, who wasn't particularly interested in perfumes, smelled him at me immediately and said: "Mmm, you smell good. So fresh." Interesting that she feels the scent to me as fresh, whereas I rather perceive it as warm and homey.

All in all a very successful fragrance. Hat off.
My beautiful evening scent
My beautiful evening scent, it holds me when I'm sad. A wonderful soft incense scent that makes me dream and forget all my worries. My Akkad, my first niche scent.
Jas0N
When people define the scent
A scent cannot seduce the other. Period. If the man or the woman is an ass, does not fit characterlich to us or the opposite pleases us optically not it was that. Point.

There will be exceptions.
But for me a myth, fed by countless comments.

But there should be the moment in which a perfume is or can be the right trigger. A stimulus that inevitably triggers something in us.
Makes someone even more sympathetic, even more attractive, even more attractive. A positive catalyst. But not because the fragrance is so great, but because it becomes great through the people. It is defined and shaped by man and his nature. It's harmonious. Like a fist on the eye.

I experienced this moment on Saturday. Thanks to a dear perfumo (dear thanks thanks to Nurmalso) I had the pleasure to test Akkad by Lubin.
But this time I wasn't the carrier, I smelled it on someone else.

For me one of the most beautiful scents I have worn this year and which I will definitely buy for the cold days.
But more importantly, I understand why women like him. This slightly resinous sweet smell is simply dreamlike beautiful. Frankincense, actually my problem case is so artistically embedded that any trace of sacral eminence is missing.
It's cute, but not sticky. Balance is the keyword.
What I find quite interesting is the comparison of FabianO below. I didn't notice this touch desert the first time I saw it. But I can confirm this with her and I like her extremely well.

Potential to become one of my absolute favorites. And if I go to dinner with the lady on Thursday I might have to give her a short hint how she may possibly smell.

Oh, yeah. Durability and Sillage really good. One splash less definitely does it here.

Archaic Resins
A nice essay on archaic, Biblical resins. Dense, soft, pleasant and wearable. Almost with no introduction. In medias res hegemony of resins over the dark amber and sweet vanilla.
Similar to Galaad in construction, but significantly more balanced and carefully polished to have the contemporary touch. Interesting fragrance, but with very high price. Nevertheless I appreciate the latest revived Lubin's offerings.

Rating: 7/10

Akkad of Mesopotamia
Upon first spritz, I saw an empire of exotic culture and sacred rituals. If this is what the Akkadian civilization of 2150 B.C. smelled like, then those must have been luxurious times. Akkad is rich, full bodied and consistent. This is a fragrance one can become lost in. You'll find yourself transported to another time and in no hurry to return. Godly amber, iridescent resins and biblical frankincense that airs a memorable smoky quality.

Drseid
A New Take on Amber Or A Replay of Old...?
Akkad opens immediately with the primary relatively sweet amber base note front and center, joined by a very subtle orange undertone. The amber remains through the heart, growing in strength and adding mild spices with the initial orange slowly giving way to a very strong frankincense note that now co-stars with the spiced amber through the dry-down, with vanilla rising from the base sweetening the scent to just shy of "too sweet". Projection is average and longevity is excellent.

Akkad is a very nice amber release from Lubin but I confess I expected a bit more. The frankincense and spiced amber combo is quite classic, and the orange undertone adds nice support early-on but I get the feeling that I have smelled this accord many times before. Adding to the mild disappointment is the amber used in Akkad is just a hair sweeter than I usually like, but it never goes completely off the deep-end, staying wearable throughout. It should be noted that the bottle used here along with its two sister releases is the same gorgeous design Idole de Lubin edp used and just like with that one it is an understatement to say the bottles are absolutely striking. I do wish the scent inside were just a tad more innovative to live up to its fine housing, but Akkad is indeed a very nice amber fragrance despite this, earning a good to very good rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.

MRothMRoth 2 years ago
Unisex frankincense backed by aromatics. Softer, more wearable compared to monolithic TF Sahara Noir. Dries down to a gourmand amber.
LexaLexa 4 years ago
A sacred temple filled up with amphoras where amber,incense and resins steam in obscure corners.Aromas of ancient deities,warm and sweet.

by jakdelind
by jakdelind
by Kovex
by Kovex
by Gschpusi
by Gschpusi
by Hyazinthe
Er verneigte sich und schenkte Weihrauch aus dem Morgenland...
König Sargon von Akkad
by TomLavender
Müden Hauptes von der langen Reise legte er sich hin...
by Hatka
by Hatka

Popular Lubin

Itasca / Le Vetiver - Itasca by Lubin Kismet (2016) by Lubin Idole de Lubin (Eau de Parfum) by Lubin Le Vetiver by Lubin Black Jade by Lubin epidOr (2017) by Lubin Grisette by Lubin Upper Ten for Her by Lubin Gin Fizz by Lubin Idole de Lubin (Eau de Toilette) by Lubin Korrigan by Lubin L'Eau Neuve - Figaro by Lubin Galaad by Lubin Princesses de Malabar by Lubin L'Eau Neuve - Inédite by Lubin Condottiere by Lubin Sinbad by Lubin L'Eau Neuve by Lubin Upper Ten (2015) by Lubin Galaor by Lubin