ItascaLe Vetiver - Itasca (2010)

Itasca / Le Vetiver - Itasca by Lubin

Itasca is a popular perfume by Lubin for men and was released in 2010. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Lucien Ferrero

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Mandarin, Neroli, Juniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Clary sage, Nutmeg, Tonka bean
Base Notes Base NotesRed pine, Cedar, Frankincense, Myrrh, Amber

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 05.10.2019

The fragrance was revised in 2018 according to IFRA regulations.

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Serenissima
the mysterious lake in the forest
After reading in connection with this smell of forests in North America, I imagined something "robust masculine": a kind of men's scent with a checkered flannel shirt and cowboy boots, the axe already shouldered for chopping wood!
Well, that could be fun for both of us, but the pyramid read too tempting.
Even if the flannel shirt didn't fit, I dared a few splashes:
Good that my curiosity won, because I found in "Itasca/Le Vetiver - Itasca" an enchanting place in the diverse evening scent landscape.

In Robert Frost's poem "Stopping by Woods on an Snowy Evening" there is the line: "The woods are lovely, dark, an deep ..."
Yes, here the woods are really deep, dark and mysterious; a dark green full of spice surrounds the senses.
In the midst of this quiet forest solitude lies the mysterious and enchanted lake that gives this fragrance its name.
A silver shimmer pervades twilight and shadow; surrounded by fine fog creatures restlessly scurrying through the nearby trees.

"Le Vetiver - Itasca" begins fruity with grapefruit and tangerine slices: neither the popular bergamot, nor the usual citrus scent is contained here - a sympathetic decision.
Neroli can sit down on a slightly bitter-sweet blanket and spread out quietly before the dark blue-silvery shimmering juniper berries enter this fragrance with big steps.
I like them, these rough, spicy journeymen, who are stubborn and perhaps that's why they are so invigorating, enrich not only some food, but also many fragrances.
Here they form the prelude for a heart full of spices, whereby muscatel sage and cloves spread spicy on my skin almost at the same time.
This spice and the quadriga from the Entrée get along well; freshness and spice harmonize and a pinch of nutmeg soothes some of the spines that this arrangement could contain - a kind of polished and polished fragrance ball is already being created.
Tonka bean is used here very tastefully; it opens the previous fragrance flow for a spicy smoky finale.
The dark green and silver grey of red pine and the cedar I love released their strong aromas; they open the fragrance gate for the smoky, always mysteriously fragrant three: incense - rich and surprisingly pliant: is this probably due to the proximity of the cedar rounding everything off?
This scent, which flatters the senses, doesn't do any corners and edges; maybe that's why the incense here becomes a little more civilized, less robust for somewhat smoke-sensitive noses.
Together with myrrh and amber it creates mysterious shadows over the first fruity, then spicy and now woody-smoky scent painting.
Finally, these fragrant mists float through this scented painting: a first rustic, then almost elegantly tamed whole develops.
The evening mystery of a silent lake in the midst of many shades of green has become a scent picture that can certainly not only be worn as a men's scent.
(Although I would seek the proximity of a man who smells so: self-confident and yet considerate, unobtrusive and yet present!)

Yesterday evening, sprayed on, I am still surrounded by a slightly spicy hint; juniper berry, cedar and incense offer me a "Adieu" I've taken back.
With "Le Vetiver - Itasca", a men's fragrance was created that also likes to surround and flatter the woman, who is receptive to spicy aromas, in a noble way.

Just as the boundaries between the individual fragrances become blurred, the classification "men's/ women's fragrance" could well disappear here.
Because this composition from the house of Lubin is a Janus-headed being, on which perhaps even Goethe's words about the ginkgo fit:
"This tree's leaf, the one from the east
entrusted to my garden,
gives secret sense to taste,
how it builds the knowledgeable.
Is it a living creature,
that separates itself in itself?
Is it two who choose each other,
that you know them as one?
Such questions to answer
I thought I had the right idea.
Don't you feel it in my songs,
that I'm one and double?"
(Today it is called "unisex": well, yes!)
8.0 7.0 6.0 7.5/10

Green spicy
Beautiful green and spicy, but it hardly unfolds with me, very very weak unfortunately, 2018er. Probably go straight to the giveaway.
My girl likes him very much, I smell him almost not unfortunately, a pity, I had been looking forward so much to it. Try again sometime somewhere else or find the old type
6.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

2010 vs. 2018
For me, Itasca is a perfume that captures nature and makes it exciting with further nuances. Classic, clean, masculine and yet timeless, modern and with enough edge. A fragrance that keeps the balance between fresh and dark, between aromatic-spicy and calmly transparent. Pictures of the lake and national park of the same name in Minnesota seem absolutely fitting, due to the dense forests surrounding the calm water.

The top note surprises at first with a slightly fruity mandarin, less of the pungent citrus grapefruit, before it quickly becomes spicier with juniper berries with their special aromatic quality, dry, bitter nutmeg, fortunately only a small dose of cloves, while at the same time a hint of floral freshness blows through the forest. Towards the base, it becomes more difficult to clearly name the individual notes. In any case, rather dry woods mix with slightly balsamic and earthy nuances. Even though the original name referred to vetiver, I find the sweet grass to be one of several important components, rather than the main actor. I can't make out typical incense, but I can guess myrrh.

Since I have one bottle each of the original and the new version from 2018, I can compare both directly with each other. The reformulation will keep Itasca at, say, 90-95 %, but it will change more in a brighter direction. The dark woody and slightly earthy element is now missing and creates space for the initially almost grapefruit-like and rather green vetiver note. One might think that Itasca was originally composed for the autumn and has now been adapted to the spring due to the changes. Java Vetiver is supposed to go more in the decent-smokier, earthier direction and therefore I suspect that this is related to the reformulation. The top note of the new version also lacks a little of the fruity and resinous juniper berry. This is still present, only somewhat reduced, so that I perceive a little more hesperidic freshness. To what extent maceration can still have an influence I do not know. Usually one assumes a finished product, but sometimes scents change over a few months/years without getting worse.

Unfortunately, the reformulated Itasca has not only become a little lighter, but also a little slimmer. Nevertheless, Lubin's creation remains an excellent fragrance, which the wearer will not perceive so strongly even after a while, while others can still smell it for several hours. The performance is almost the same.

I would like to comment on the bottle: I think the first version is ugly as a pot - what a horrible font they used here and this colour combination! But now the bottle has simply been turned upside down so that the relief is unprinted on the back and the side that used to be completely covered with copper-brown forms the front with a sticker. Not beautiful either, but more stylish, I mean. Therefore the spray head works as always excellently!

Itasca is a good choice for nature lovers and those looking for a multi-layered, calm fragrance. Itasca is definitely one of the most successful perfumes when it comes to forests. Although I can imagine it as being less suitable for women and teenagers, I find it to be intergenerational and versatile.
8.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

KianJafari
A wet jungle in a bottle
To me it is more than a simple woody perfume. It is like walking in a jungle after a lovely rain which brings all the complicated feelings to you. It is both a classic and modern perfume. It is definitely one of my favorites.
10.0 5.0 7.5 10.0/10

Northern Minnesota in a bottle
Le Vetiver-Itasca draws its inspiration from the red pine forests of north central Minnesota which surround Lake Itasca, the headwaters of the Mississippi River and the namesake for this beautiful perfume. I grew up not far from this place so Itasca is something of a biography in a bottle for me.

Itasca is different from most of the pine and woodland fragrances I regularly wear. Many woodland inspired fragrances seem to be created with the intent of capturing the reality of the forest as closely as possible rather than idealizing its essence as a perfume. One of my favorite fragrances, Serge Lutens’ Fille en Aiguille is a good example. Not only do you smell the sap and the wood of a pine tree, you have a visceral sense of the stickiness of the sap and the solidity of wood covered in rough bark.

But if you walk through the clearing beneath a stand of lofty red pine on a breezy day the experience is much more ethereal and perfume-like. A gentle breeze through pines sounds like murmuring and whispering and each breathy vowel releases an aromatic scent from the canopy of needles. If you happen to be in this clearing during late spring you might even notice floral notes as part of the camphorous accord.

The nose behind Itasca, Lucien Ferrero, has chosen this idealized experience as his template. Using an aesthetic similar to Olivia Giacobetti, he creates a lighter, atmospheric watercolor vision of a conifer fragrance that is truly a perfume.

Ferrero captures the breezy, airy effect in a number of ways. He uses higher pitched conifer notes and resins while avoiding strong, woody base notes. Vetiver, the title component of this perfume, is Itasca’s strongest base note yet it is well balanced to the overall fragrance. It provides just enough dimension and depth to hint at the coarser elements and muted colors of pine while allowing Itasca to remain open and airy. The result is that Itasca seems to sparkle. It’s as if Ferrero has mimicked the watercolor technique of sprinkling salt on wet paint to obtain that sparkling effect.

Later in Itasca’s development, the floral notes -neroli, tagetes (marigold) and geranium- bring a new color to the palette of the fragrance but in just the right proportion. The slight sweetness of this subtle floral accord is truly reminiscent of pine flowers. To be honest, there is no such thing as a “pine flower”. It's actually the male pine cone, but that’s another, more prosaic botany lesson. Nonetheless, if you’re in a stand of pines in late spring you may be surprised how floral the experience can be.

I think it’s only natural to associate pine based fragrances as being cool or cold weather wear. But Itasca’s sparkling lightness and subtle floral qualities mean it can be worn comfortably into the warm days of spring. I’m not sure I’d wear it in the dog days of summer but it is certainly more versatile than many other conifer fragrances.
7.5 5.0 10.0 10.0/10

Monsieur
Itasca, I like-e You, is niceee!!! :-)
Bagatov Scents Proudly Presents:

Jagshemash!
A-my name-a Monsieur. I like-e You. I like sex. Is niceee!
This-a my company of-a Lubin. It locate between the Guerlain, a-Kurkdjian and a*holes Mugler.
This my scent of Itasca. This-a Mandarin, the top note. Naughty naughty! Over here, our scent-a heart notes. And-a here live-a Vetiver Frankincense a-scent base notes and pleasure.
This my house. Entry please. He is my neighbor, normal Vetiver. He is pain in my assholes. I get a top not from a Grapefruit, he must get a top note from a Grapefruit. I get a Clove, he must get a Clove. I get a Fir balsam, he cannot afford. Great success!
This is Idole. She is my sister. She is number four prostitute in all of Lubin. Niiceee! And this my wife Figaro. She’s-a boring.
This is where I lives. My Marigold. This is a Nutmeg. And these smell Ambergris.
Now I show You outside from my houses.
A-my hobbies: ping pong, sunbathe, disco dance and on weekends, I travel to capital city to watch-a ladies while they make-a karaoke.
My profession: work as a signature scent for-a Lubin. Please You see!

Although Lubin glorious company, it have-a problem too: economic, social and Dew.
This why Ministry of Information have decide to send me to U.S. and A., greatest country in the world, to learn-a lessons for Lubin.
During my stay I learned many things about how smell in northern American wildlife to help create special scent of Itasca.

A-very nice! How much? -> Only 85 Euros: Wawaweewa!!!

Thank You for reading my review. I hope You like! Dziekuje!

Now Stand For Anthem:

Lubin greatest company in the world.
All other companies are run by little girls.
Lubin number one exporter of perfume.
Other companies have inferior perfume.

Itasca, Itasca you very nice scent.
From Plains of Tarashek to Northern fence of Dewtown.
Itasca friend of all except Mugler.
They very nosey people with bone in their brain.

Lubin industry best in the world.
We invented Nutmeg and Marigold.
Lubin’s employees cleanest in the region.
Except of course Guerlain’s.

Itasca, Itasca you very nice scent.
From Plains of Tarashek to Northern fence of Dewtown.
Come grasp the mighty creation of our leader.
From junction with the base to tip of its face!

Into the woods.
by SpiroErgoSum
by Zauber600
by Zauber600

Popular Lubin

Akkad by Lubin Itasca / Le Vetiver - Itasca by Lubin Idole de Lubin (Eau de Parfum) by Lubin Korrigan by Lubin Black Jade by Lubin Gin Fizz by Lubin Kismet (2016) by Lubin Le Vetiver by Lubin Galaad by Lubin Idole de Lubin (Eau de Toilette) by Lubin Grisette by Lubin epidOr (2017) by Lubin L'Eau Neuve - Figaro by Lubin Upper Ten for Her by Lubin Nuit de Longchamp (2008) (Eau de Parfum) by Lubin Upper Ten (2015) by Lubin L'Eau Neuve by Lubin L de Lubin (Eau de Toilette) by Lubin Princesses de Malabar by Lubin L'Eau Neuve - Inédite by Lubin