Karma (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go

Karma (Perfume) is a perfume by Lush / Cosmetics To Go for women and men and was released in 1995. The scent is spicy-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Orange, Lemon grass
Heart Notes Heart NotesPine, Sweet acacia, Lemon
Base Notes Base NotesElemi resin, Patchouli, Fir resin, Cinnamon

Submitted by Lobelia, last update on 20.05.2019

The scent was inducted into the Gorilla line, but stayed the same.

7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Back in the Indian shop
When I was a teenager - I was also a young woman with curly hair - a tea shop opened in the neighboring coffee shop where you could also buy Indian cotton clothing and Chinese cotton wool clothing. There were also incense sticks and perfume oils. I spent all my pocket money there. Especially in summer I walked around in hippie clothes but also in autumn you could marvel at me in a Chinese cotton wool jacket. I'm still wearing Chinese velvet shoes today.

The owner of this shop was a handsome young man with long straight hair. Although I like long-haired types, I can't remember having had any interest in the shopkeeper. I have no idea why he sold Indian cotton clothes. I never asked him. You could drink tea in the shop, which I did. There was some music that I don't remember and incense was burning. It was a welcome change for me.

The cotton clothes were treated with patchouli. She had a special smell that sometimes only disappeared after several washes. The smell of these clothes mixes with the smell of incense sticks that is more or less karma (this perfume, not the spiritual concept).

I could roll in karma and want it on all my clothes. But I'm afraid my environment won't have the same love for the fragrance. I'm sure it's not for work. Karma smells like good old hippie patchouli. Bright and fruity with incense sticks and essential oils. You grow long hair immediately when you wear it and some people might get a Rambo headband (but that looks stupid).

density
Most of us can state the first part of the law of inertia. It’s one of the few bits of science that pierces pop-culture. But then again, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

A body at rest…. A body in motion. The caveat is what we tend to forget to mention. Rest/motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Karma is that unbalanced force. Not quite a black hole, it absorbs most anything thrown its way. Orange oil and patchouli oil merge into a leveraged super-resin with an unnatural density and the nightmarish power of 1970s TV-style quicksand. ‘Don’t move! It’ll only hasten your demise!’

We characterize, and sometimes even name perfumes after the statement swe attribute to them. Caron n’Aimez que moi says, ‘I have borderline personality disorder.’ Chanel 19 announces, ‘approach cautiously.’ Badgely Mischka says, ‘come in for a cocktail, darling.’

Karma says, with all the intention such an expression can convey, ‘Hey.’ Karma is the stupor that stoners mistake for a zen moment of enlightenment.

Fine in moderation. This is the one in the Lush line that should have been labeled “Inhale.”

from scenthurdle.com
8.0/10

Mujo
Karma soap is my favorite soap
Karma is a patchouli bomb. It's very potent and happy. To me it smells like the toko's from the 80's, only more refined. Next to food they carried clothings and shoes from India, henna, incense and patchouli etc. Karma feels like a refined mixture of that scent.

I don't wear Karma often as a perfume these days, but I always have a piece of Karma soap in the bathroom and in my sock drawer. The soap is the best of the whole Karma line. As a matter of fact KARMA SOAP IS MY FAVORITE SOAP. I love the scent when I just washed my hands with it.
5.0 7.5 5.0 4.0/10

Oranges and resins
Karma is an exotic fragrance and very unique.

Opens with a huge orange note that remains for a long time. Then joins some resins and patchouli at drydown.

The drydown is much smoother than the first notes. The orange note could be softer in my opinion.

This is not a safe scent neither an office scent, but rather an exotic scent that may not please everyone.

Lasting power is good, sillage is high and projection is also high.

Karma
It is, indeed, on the powerful side but I don't find it overpowering. Many other reviews on other perfumes have common complaints about scents that are weak with no staying power and many people won't even buy a fragrance even if they like it if they find that it fades too quickly. You will not have that problem with this perfume! This is my favorite scent by Lush. It's a throwback to another decade when peace signs, fringe vests, Volkswagen Vans, afros, pet rocks and tie-dye t-shirts were all the rage. Many people have said that the smell of patchouli is dirty smelling. I don't find that here at all. I find the scent quite fresh, clean and bright. When I wear this fragrance it makes me feel "alive" and full of energy! Definitely raises my spirits and gives off a "cheery" vibe. The lavender and citrus notes are clear to my nose and blend together nicely. This scent lasts all day, and then some! When I woke up and got out of bed, I caught whiffs of it still on my skin 24 hours after the initial application. For those people so interested in fragrances that last and last, look no further, Karma is the one you've been looking for! If I could sum up this scent with one word it would be DY-NO-MITE!!!
7.5 7.5 10.0 5.0/10

Perfect for Woodstock. Hello?
I made the mistake of spritzing on some Marc Jacobs LOLA during my weekly trip to Whole Foods, which invariably brings me to the perfume aisle of TJMAXX (located next door), where I invariably encounter an open gift set beckoning me to be the next to try, shamelessly violating the store's policy and probably even committing a tiny act of shoplifting. My punishment is typically fitting, and today was no exception to the rule: The whole time I was wearing LOLA I was trying to figure out why it is so unpleasant. But that's another review.

So there I was with a scent on my skin but not really wanting to take a bath quite yet. What to do? Perfume possibilities in such trying times basically boil down to a one word answer: Lush. Yes, that's right, the house of Lush will cover up any- and everything which you wish to hide. So what had I not tried in my Lush sample queue (which is in its own hermetically sealed box, because it is all so stinky)? That's right, brilliant deduction: KARMA.

First off, I need to give KARMA some credit where credit is clearly due. KARMA managed to wipe all traces of Marc Jacobs LOLA from my skin--or rather cover it with a thick, sweet, and orange-tinged dirty, earthy patchouli oil. What was I wearing this afternoon? It seems to have slipped my mind, and I no longer have any recollection of what it was that I was trying to hide.

Yes, I am now trapped in a cloud of patchouli fumes, which in some ways is nice, but I cannot say that I would ever wear this anywhere. Maybe if there's another Woodstock revival and I decide for some reason to attend? Whoa, this stuff is a trip, literally. The only things I'm missing at this point are a tie-dyed t-shirt and some dirty jeans. Hard to believe, in some ways, that this scent held sway throughout the hippie years.

Would anyone really wear this seriously as a perfume today--I mean, aside from Lushbots? I ask most sincerely. I enjoyed this little flashback (to someone else's life...) but will not be adding a full bottle of KARMA to my collection. At least not in this possible world.

I do recommend KARMA to anyone who wants to get in touch with their inner hippie. Needless to say: this is not an office scent. I find that the perfumes of this house are perfect for donning right before a long, hot bath, as everything Lush produces is power packed with essential oils, so the redolent wafts off the water are pretty impressive.

by AudreyC
~Jeder von uns ist sein eigener Teufel und wir machen uns diese Welt zur Hölle~Oscar Wilde
_Karma_