The Smell of Freedom (2010)Perfume

The Smell of Freedom (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go

The Smell of Freedom (Perfume) is a popular perfume by Lush / Cosmetics To Go for women and was released in 2010. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Royal poinciana, Iris, Jasmine, Neroli, Oud, Sandalwood, Lemon grass

Submitted by LiliaSophia, last update on 25.03.2019.

5.0 10.0 10.0 7.0/10

The neroli surprise ending
Opens very with a generic woodsy feel (in a good way. I like it). The oud has an almost incense quality, maybe because it's blended with the cloves and pepper. The lemongrass gives it a bit of zing and freshness that prevents it from getting too musty. I'm not getting any florals.

After it warms up I some some powdery orris root and a hint of jasmine.

I really love the depth of the dry down. The neroli sweetens it up and keeps the drydown from being musty. The drydown has more of the jasmine too. I'm kind of surprised to find the neroli in the dry down. I expected to find it more near the opening.

The sillage is nuclear and it lasts forever.

May
2014
2.5 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Katad
The town tramp goes to church.
The earnest young woman at the Lush store explained to me how this scent got it's name. "They" went to a prison and asked the prisoners what they thought freedom smelled like and this scent was the result. Nice heartwarming story.

To me this scent starts out citrus surrounded by smoke. Soon slides into a nice green floral and at the same time spicy & peppery. Underneath there comes a lot of resin notes, reminiscent of the frankincense & myrrh burned in the censers swung by altar-boys. Towards the end there is a powdery finish.

I have a love-hate relationship with this scent. It is very strong and polarizing. I am tempted to put it on my Souk, yet I think I will keep it for those days when I hate myself. It will be suitably punishing...
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose...
I am surprised that Lush THE SMELL OF FREEDOM is classified as a fragrance for women. It has a fairly strong citrus side, and smells unidentifiably herbal to me. I usually try to review perfumes before espying the notes, but in this case I had to take a peek because I was really at a loss. THE SMELL OF FREEDOM, like basically the entire Lush line I've tried so far, smells dense and impenetrable and intense. Perhaps the dominant note is "Fire Tree," which is why this creation seems indescribable to me.

My general attitude toward this house is starting slowly to emerge. I knew that I had a bath on the horizon this morning, so I thought, "Hmmm.... maybe I should test something from Lush." For me, these are really experiential perfumes, not so well suited to wear as an accessory or when one's plan is to do other things beyond thinking about perfume. FREEDOM is definitely less gooey and gunky than the other made-for-women creations from this house, but it is still quite thick. It's not sweet, and it's not flowery. The iris in this composition is more along the lines of the soapy iris which appeared frequently in classic perfumes of past decades.

THE SMELL OF FREEDOM has a somewhat sharp quality which reminds me a bit of galbanum, but I believe that what I am perceiving is the lemon grass. The perfumers at Lush really do not hold back on the essences, which is I think why their fragrances come in three sizes: 2ml sample, .33oz, and 30ml. No one could wear 100ml of them, because they are all at parfum strength!

What can I say about FREEDOM? It's something to be experienced, if possible...

Popular Lush / Cosmetics To Go

Breath of God (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Karma (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Vanillary (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Lust / Lady Flower (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Dirty (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Smuggler's Soul / The Sandalwood Trail (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go All Good Things (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Sikkim Girls (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go The Smell of Weather Turning (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Tuca Tuca (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Sun (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Imogen Rose (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Rentless (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go American Cream (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Hellstone by Lush / Cosmetics To Go What Would Love Do (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Cardamom Coffee (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Death & Decay (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Furze (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go Love (Perfume) by Lush / Cosmetics To Go