Obelisk (1985) Eau de Parfum

Obelisk (Eau de Parfum) by MCM

Obelisk (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by MCM for women and was released in 1985. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Green notes, Peach, Citruses
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose, Rosewood, Thyme, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Moss, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by Kittycat, last update on 21.08.2019

The scent was originally produced by MCM. After closure of the company, it seems Loft Monaco has bought the rights to Obelisk.

7.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

the female side of MCM
After I recently received a generous filling of "Obelisk" and successfully tested it, I do not understand myself: what kept me at that time, in the mid-1980s, from this fragrance?
Why did I buy "Success" instead?
Maybe it was really only the honey presence, which I liked very much, which made me - together with the name - choose "Success".
Or was it the long known saleswoman who advised "Success" because she thought it was better for me?

Today I feel "Obelisk" as quite tame, almost tender.
And I also like cinnamon after the first contact. But who knows what corner the cinnamon bark is hiding behind.
In addition, Galbanum immediately registers his spicy claims with me: Hello, we know each other!
This resinous friend brings along a fruit basket with ripe peaches and many different citrus fruits, including bergamot, of course.
It invites to a picnic in the green; it smells very appealing and the freshly mown lawn is already warmed by the sun.
Jasmine and rose are not to be missed here either. They adapt so well that the noble and in the aroma very fine rosewood is clearly recognizable and also remains some time.
I like that; most of the time the stronger fragrance brothers and sisters are running a little over the pile.
A hint of thyme is in the air; the heavy fruit basket has probably crushed part of this robust and very herb-scented plant so that it defends itself aromatically.
Too bad about the herb: the herbaceous-spicy addition is good for the previous fragrance.
Ylang-Ylang waggles around brightly and as always shimmering and chattering cheerfully; this fragrance beauty is already looking forward to the forthcoming meeting with cedar wood; both like each other and so they enrich "Obelisk" richly, before the now arriving sensuality settles down lasciviously on a dark green mossy cushion. This capricious person settles down to stay.
Now her followers come rushing up and cause some trouble!
Warm vanilla wraps generously around apparently white musk - how good that sandalwood is there and that this somewhat sultry eroticism is slowed down with its own spiciness.
So this felt viscous scent does not fly around my ears and I can be happy about Ambra's great appearance: his resinous magic had been missing to bring "Obelisk" into the "right fairway".
Now this fragrance composition is wonderfully balanced and develops into a refined being.
To a fragrance creature that is faithful for many hours and not only sprays its undeniable magic throughout the day, but also most of the evening.
I feel as if I am surrounded by a vibrant golden veil of fragrance. It feels very good!

Here one knew with MCM obviously, what one did, when one "Obelisk" exactly so from the baptism lifted.
Now Michael Cromer could not have built his "empire" at that time without scents; that was simply expected. If you wanted to play, you had to have more than one stone in your board.
With Cromer's presence on the "colourful pages" (and also in serious journals), at numerous parties of the jet set, which he enriched in Munich, Marbella, St. Moriz and elsewhere, it is not surprising that his scents - as Turandot wrote on the occasion of my "Success" commentary - became "bulk goods".
As you know, she knows what she's talking about.
It was in the nature of things that every "Adabei" who wasn't there bought one of the MCM bags and if that wasn't possible, at least one or even both fragrances.
It is a well-known theme that much with the original predicate "luxury", eventually becomes common property.

But that doesn't change anything: I like "Obelisk" very much!
His oriental spicy opulence seduces into a time when there was even more room for these luxurious things. Everything seemed richer, more generous at the time Maybe I only see it through the glasses of nostalgia: but if "Obelisk" was saved from this epoch without leaving too many feathers, I should be happy Here I find another pretty gem of perfume art
9.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

My singature!
...since 1990, it was the first gift at my 19th birthday from my “new” boyfriend in this year. A lot of people think, it is ony a fragrance for cold seasons, maybe autumn or winter, but never for summer! He said it ist “a frangrance for prostitutes” (sorry, but this is what he said).

I don`t think so. It’s a strong fragrance okay, but...

We will forget this statement. Vanilla and sandalwood keep it calm, although I can’t smell the vanilla, but I know, that is the reason for softnesss. It starts wonderful smelling like oranges for me (maybe this ist the mix vom peaches and citruses) and there must be some other spices, not ony thyme. For me there is cinnamon and the roses and jasmine are not so strong, as the most people would think and it smells wonderful sweet and I like it for every day, it is a really warm fragrance - not hot ;-D

For me it is an extraordinary fragrance that is second to none! Test it!

Ein altes Schätzchen wird gut bewacht
by TIA1971
by Savanoja
by Rosaviola
by Rosaviola

Popular MCM

Obelisk (Eau de Parfum) by MCM Success (Eau de Toilette) by MCM 1900 by MCM Blue Paradise by MCM Twenty Four Evening (Eau de Toilette) by MCM Twenty Four Morning by MCM Rouge (Eau de Parfum) by MCM Gold by MCM Black Silver by MCM MCM by MCM Obelisk (Parfum) by MCM Very M.C. by MCM Blue Silver by MCM White Tea by MCM Incense by MCM Orris by MCM Twenty Four Evening (After Shave) by MCM Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by MCM Success (After Shave) by MCM