Truth or Dare 2012

Truth or Dare by Madonna
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
Truth or Dare is a perfume by Madonna for women and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Coty. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Joop! Femme (Eau de Toilette)

Stephen Nilsen

Top Notes Top NotesGardenia, Neroli, Tuberose
Heart Notes Heart NotesBenzoin, Jasmine, Lily
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.09.2020.

The advertising campaign was photographed by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott.

1.5
Attack of tuberose
I like a lot of Madonna's songs. That's it... I thought. So it came that one birthday I received a gift box. In this gift box was everything I do not need for a fragrance experience (as it turned out afterwards). A body lotion, a shower gel, 75ml EDP plus another 10ml EDP. Probably just in case you get kidnapped on the way, then you could take everyone away with the 10ml pocket bottle. Until then the whole arrangement looked very promising. I was also beguiled by the face of the gift box and allowed myself a fragrance charge on the decolette, without first testing on a handkerchief before. As it turned out, this was a mistake. Like a stinking fist the tuberose struck me overcharged sweet, penetrating scent in the face. I thought I had to hold out for a moment, the fragrance would certainly settle down and develop. I had patience with the fragrance for 10 minutes. My husband was getting sick with the words "here stinks" and "take a shower" and slowly I felt sick. So I took a shower, I don't have to mention that I didn't use the shower gel from the gift box. I can't say much about other components of the fragrance. He was sweet, heavy and much too penetrating. A colleague said she liked Madonna fragrances, so I passed the box on. A few days later I took a strong, well known scent. My colleague probably wore this scent and not in her immediate vicinity I found it even bearable. Probably it can harmonize with others, unfortunately not with me
Minigolf
I'm just going to eat old socks.
..... if that doesn't drop all flies dead from the walls and ceiling!
Sillagemonster of the special size with amazing adhesion and eternal "half life", even after thorough hand and joint washing.
The tuberose blows with full force into an alphorn that sounds for miles Jasmine and lilies in the echo. (If our soccer "lilies" would only play half as strong as "Truth or Dare" smells like, they would be promoted to the first league in a fast track)
The fragrance concept itself is a good idea, extraordinary, flowery - balsamic, but please in LEISER!
Here it depends on the dose that makes the "poison".
Only a little!!!
But the spray head even releases too much of the good for my nose, which loves strong scents If you filled this EdP into small 20 ml bottles with dab plugs, it would be much better to dose.
After a long time I smelled "Truth or Dare" again on my washed wrist and it became really good, because I could perceive the single scents, also the amber and benzoin in "Piano" much more naturally.
But I grant the friends of this fragrance their joy. (if they're not sitting next to me in a cinema or theatre with freshly sprayed perfume on their necks)

Like a candy
Another fragrance where I will be rather in the unpopular minority with my sentiment.
I do not think that I am particularly averse to tuberose - from my very scarce encounters with that note, I appreciate it in Poison both EdT and Esprit, and Eau de Giorgio also did not shoo me away...So, after all the reviews, I had expected a 'tuberose-bomb' with Truth or Dare, but it turned out too sweet for my taste.
The first moment is really the best of this perfume for me - a dash of bright white florals, smelling expensive, promising something exquisite. But the base of amber, vanilla and benzoin are just too powerful building a thick sugary sweetness against which the florals don't stand a chance. It stepped into the 'candy'-territory for me, too much so to convey elegance: Personally, I am reminded of the smell of the golden-brown and translucent 'bekkoh-ame' ('Tortoise-shell Candy') in fancy shapes - melted sugar in heated water without any addition of fat.

While it may not be considered important, there is another point I have not seen anyone mention so far: The fluid is tinted and left a dark-orange shade stain (the colour of ToD Naked) for several days on the tester strip. Therefore, it might be better to avoid contact with white clothes, even if it should be washed out easily, unlike the fragrance itself which lasts for days with one spray.

Contrary to some statements elsewhere, I do not find this to be a 'pure, innocent, virgin-like, young bride fragrance', but a very strong and assertive perfume that requires a certain personality to be worn; absolutely nothing for shy, sensitive or dreamy girls. I could imagine this well on a strong-willed, practical woman with a self-confident attitude and fearless manners who loves grand gestures...pretty much something Madonna would wear herself, in my opinion.

Classy White Floral
Truth Or Dare is not people's favorite scent and I understand. I remember I got it in 2013 when it was on sale. I was chocked when I saw it because I didn't even know that they had it and bought it, instantly. The box is simple but chic at the same time. The bottle is also simple but chic. I like the little "spots" on the bottle. The cap reminds me of a crown (I don't know if she made it to look like a crown but anyway). The scent is a straight up floral scent. Obviously, there isn't any fruit. My mother personally loves this scent. She loves jasmine-y scents and as soon as she smelled it, she said "it smells like jasmine" before I even looked at the notes. And she was right. But jasmine is not the most "out there" note. Tuberose is the one that is like "Hey, I'm here!". If it was a pure white floral scent, it will gave me a headache but it didn't. That means that something else is noticeable which is the vanilla. The vanilla gives the white flowers a softer smell that doesn't give me a headache. It is very nice. This smell is very classy! I understand that some people don't like this scent because it isn't a playful fruity scent or anything else. If you need a white floral scent with a hint of vanilla, voilà!

Sweet Peaches and Chocolate
For me Truth or Dare smells of sweet tinned peaches and benzoin with a soft melted white chocolate running beneath. There is a slight muskyness about the gardenia and just a hint of orange . Thickly sweet tuberose, a touch resinous, and spicy but without the typical spices of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg rather drier than would otherwise be expected.

I happened upon this in a sale in 2013 and took a chance. This was lucky for me as the advertising did absolutely nothing for me so when the previous Christmas I found my department store had hidden the testers (as they kept getting nicked) and would not let me spray myself I didn't persue my testing of it.

Just ordered a new bottle.

Feminine White Floral
Top Notes: Neroli, Gardenia, Tuberose.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Benzoin, Lily.

Base Notes: Musk, Amber, Vanilla.

Truth or Dare is a pretty, feminine white floral that is a near dupe of Fracas. Unlike Fracas, however, ToD features a prominent benzoin note and finishes with a simpler base of musk, amber, and vanilla. I blindly purchased both ToD and Truth or Dare Naked. Of the two, I like Truth or Dare Naked better. This is not to say I do not like ToD because I do. However, the quality of ToD is not as high as Fracas, and I already own Fracas, so I am unlikely to repurchase ToD once it is used up.

ToD is not a bad fragrance for its price point, but I cannot say it is very special. It is a reasonably good dupe of Fracas, so if Fracas is out of your budget, you certainly would not go wrong in purchasing ToD. Both of Madonna's fragrances are now discontinued, however, so if you are interested in trying them, I suggest you purchase them now whilst there are still plenty of bottles left on the market.

Fragrance: 6/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 5/10

Madonna tries to re-create Fracas
Since Madonna released Truth or Dare, reviews have been mixed. Some say it's the best celebrity fragrance yet, while others call it cheap and uninspiring. Honestly, I'm on either side of the fence. I neither love it nor dislike it.

It is fairly evident that Fracas has been the inspiration behind this fragrance. If you love Fracas, you'll most likely enjoy this cheaper alternative. I, for one, find Truth or Dare less thick and lacking in quality when compared to the 'Queen of Tuberose'.

While I appreciate white florals of this nature, I find them incredibly difficult to wear. I always feel like a walking vase of wilted flowers, and that's not something that I personally aspire to smelling like. Truth or Dare is too dry and buttery for my personal tastes.

Madonna is not very popular among the young ones these days, so this fragrance is more than likely aiming to please the older market. Going for an unsweetened and heavy white floral, has probably been the best choice. Many have remarked that it stands out amongst the sweet and fruity concoctions that celebrities usually come up with.

Unfortunately Truth or Dare is a little linear in terms of composition. It's a buttery, musky and slightly green blend of tuberose, gardenia and lily from beginning to end. While it's no innocent fragrance, I don't find it particularly sexy either. Madonna has always been a controversial figure, so I was kind of hoping that her first fragrance would reflect that.

According to certain blogs, Madonna has a rather large collection of perfumes, so I don't doubt that she'd actually wear what she has created. Truth or Dare is pleasant and in some ways, very classy. My negativity stems from the fact that in 'truth', it's a copy of Fracas, and it seems to be seriously lacking in that 'dare' concept.

Originally written: July 11, 2012.

Breathless Mahoney, ahoy!
I'm a little wary of celebrity scents in general, however, I decided to try Madonna's fragrances for a couple reasons. Though I haven't felt inclined to listen to her music or keep up with her in over a decade, I have a huge soft spot for this living style & music legend who influenced my adolescence so much. When I saw that she had a couple of her own fragrances, I instantly thought of her appreciation for vintage and classic movie stars/style, and I crossed my fingers hoping for that old school, classy Madonna to shine through.

Boy, did she ever! Where do I even begin? I guess with a warning: You must love white florals to appreciate this gem. If you're the type who is sensitive to white florals, let the blindingly white bottle stand as a blatant indication of what's inside, and run far, far away!

However, if you can appreciate intense white floral notes, you simply MUST try this one. The tuberose is relentless and booming, it wafts around you for hours. It may take several minutes for the more subtle notes to start shining through and lending a little bit of spice and creaminess. Madonna certainly succeeded in creating something "classical and timeless yet modern". Truly gorgeous and dangerously intoxicating. There's just one thing: I wouldn't suggest this for casual wear - I'll personally be reserving this for the times I need to feel a little more elegant or confident, say for classy dinner parties or higher-end restaurants.

Lastly, this is one of the most powerful fragrances I've ever tried in terms of sillage and longevity. I didn't expect much for the price, but I was unbelievably stoked after my first spray.
2.5

Tuberose Lovers Unite
A sharp, crisp tuberose that delivers with opposing notes of surprise. Strong tuberose intermingles with woods and spices in this fanciful perfume introduced by Madonna. One must definitely be a floral lover to enjoy this one or it could be a headache inducer.
There are days I’m in the mood for this type of scent when it basically comes through straight florals without much more mixed in to make this fragrance one of a linear proportion. Did I say tuberose lovers unite in Madonna’s Truth or Dare? They should. It delivers.
After wearing this straight for a few days in bitterly cold weather when I believe the notes would be at their advantage, I still found it to be a basic tuberose lovers’ delight. (There I go again…tuberose, tuberose, tuberose….am I making myself clear here?)
Tuberose radiates strongly for hours until washed off. Why? You guessed it. The tuberose is that strong. Which is a good thing. (For tuberose lovers.)
With a stretch I can find an underlayer of sandalwood hugging and an occasional spice wafting through. But those components hardly hold the show together. Why? Because the tuberose kicks ass instead and is the star of this perfume.
The bottle is unique in design but fools you until you realize it’s only white painted glass. That’s right. Painted glass. As if someone sat in a craft class with their little styrofoam brushes and dipped them in a paint tub and stroked away. Shiny white painted glass. My bottle chipped on the first day of use. On the front, right above the logo. On top of that, there were paint bubbles in the paint finish.
For under 20 bucks with a lotion and bath gel, this was a steal, but I’m still seriously aggravated about the chipping paint on the bottle.

Oh, Madge!
Madonna's schtick has been to tie her name and brand to concepts that are just new enough to be recognizable and exciting, but unformed enough that she can take them without most people knowing that she didn’t invent them. She's not the spark of innovation, she's the gallon of gasoline poured on it.

Madonna flack would have you believe that Truth or Dare is a tribute to classical perfumery. All it took was one word: Fracas. Nest this word in the yarn about the perfume that Madonna's mother used to wear and the story just writes itself. It edifies Madonna's current reformulation as Contempo-Classic British Lady, and connotes a tasteful lineage.

Despite the attempt to link it to Fracas via the use of tuberose, Truth or Dare is an archetypal mall perfume, and its arc from Big Launch to Sephora’s Latest to Internet Bargain had to have been part of the strategy. Madonna aims high hoping that we won't notice the low quality. An appropriate frame of reference for what Truth or Dare might have been is Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture. Juicy Couture dazzles you with its spangle, makes you drop your expectations to the floor and then startles you with a gorgeous perfume. The horror here, and what should haunt perfume producers but apparently doesn't, is that quality come as a surprise.

Sadly, Truth or Dare doesn't surprise. At least not at first. A certain period of the heart notes has an eye-opening touch of Sécrétions Magnifiques. If this was intentional, bravo! But then again, the question: did Madge just 'appropriate' Sécrétions Magnifiques's polluted port-of-call note from Etat Libre d'Orange as she did voguing from the 1980s Harlem Ball culture?

Madonna: bandit or semantic genius?

AnessaAnessa 4 years ago
Bold,sassy&loud,the name suits perfectly. Nothing InnocentInnocent or "pure" here. Flowers got drowned in golden sirup of vanilla,amber&benzoin.
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 5 years ago
Sometimes, I prefer to wear this rather than Fracas. I find it quite sweet with a smell like melted white chocolate (I am the Milky Bar Kid.

Dankeschön :) ich freu mich sehr # Madonna ist toll - ihre Outfits - die frühen Videos - Songs
by Seejungfrau
by Minea
by Minea
by Daisyvision
by Daisyvision
Gruselig :-) Aber mein Favorit seit ein Paar Monaten, daher gebunkert ;-) Sucht...     :-o
by Sherapop