Tabac Original 1959Eau de Cologne

Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz
Bottle Design Mäurer & Wirtz
Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) is a perfume by Mäurer & Wirtz for men and was released in 1959. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Pepper, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOak absolute, Geranium, Camomile, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Musk, Carnation, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.01.2021.

pudelbonzo
The three from the gas station
I'm driving electrified now.

On the one hand you glide along silently - on the other hand I am not beaten by my environmental conscience.
And thirdly, the charging points turn out to be a meeting place for like-minded people
It's a quiet and peaceful place.
You connect the cable - and now you have time to recharge.
I was not aware before that my own energies are also charged during this rest.

And the other electric tankers around also have time.
You get into conversation - about your vehicles, of course.

Somehow it is a sworn community - and you already know each other.

So there is always a black Jaguar i pace standing next to us - a car I had also flirted with heavily - but my common sense prevailed and I gave my Opel Ampera e my favour - and my Talers.

Nevertheless, I praised the hunt driven by an older man, who I liked at first sight, as he freely admitted that he was not going faster than 120 km/h anyway.
Very cool and likeable.

And I was also attracted by the smell of the elegant "neighbour" - somehow attractive old school - and attractively familiar.
Discreetly I moved near him - and took another nose of this soft masculine note.
Finally I asked the gentleman about his exquisite scent.
It was Tabac Original.

No wonder that this beautiful scent looked familiar to me - my father and grandfather wore it when I was young.
As a teenager, I sometimes nibble a few drops - and snuggle into its soft spice.
This also explained the warmth and comfort I felt every time I met Mr. Jaguar.

I think the gentleman would also be likeable without this pleasant scent - but Tabac still worked as an additional sympathy carrier.

So there I had to praise my " tank neighbour " also directly for his smell.

I look forward to our next "Stromern" together.
The three from the gas station - the husband, Mr Jaguar and me.
Not to forget the icing on the cake - Tabac
Susan
Honour to whom honour is due....
Recently - more precisely since the virus - life seems to flow a little more viscously..... Especially now that the outdoor options are dwindling and a large part of the time is spent in my own four walls, I am occasionally bored.....

And always, when that is the case, the "daring adventurer" comes up in me.....then I do things that otherwise would not come to my mind....

One of these things is to go out and try scents that I think are awful thanks to hard-earned prejudices......in 98% of the cases I am right and go home confirmed and, in a way, drunk with victory :-D.......

Today, however, my olfactory prejudices suffered a damned bitter defeat......

Place of the event: Rossmann
Opponent: Tabac Original

A man scent. A tobacco scent. A low-shelf scent. So the odds were pretty damn good that my preconceptions would prevail this time too...

Well, and then came the most brilliant defeat EVER...!

A fresh, well-groomed, soapy top note clouds my senses and immediately draws me under its spell.....instead of the expected old man smoking a pipe, I am suddenly confronted by an extremely neat young man with a wink......okay, I think.... 1:0 for the "opponent"..... But I assume that this was only a short-term, underhanded deception, and that the pipe grandpa would reveal himself immediately.....

So I wait..... and wait.... and wait.... and wait.....

And the longer I wait, the more it has happened around me..... until I finally admit defeat completely and finally and acknowledge it: This one is a masterpiece...! To not know it would be like not knowing Opium, No.5 or Shalimar.....TABAC ORIGINAL is very big cinema...!
The well-kept, soapy opening is soon followed by a wonderfully warm and spicy, slightly sweet and almost powdery heart note, which merges into a decidedly sensual base......nothing here seems old-fashioned or even "opaesque"....on the contrary....this fragrance integrates perfectly into current fragrance trends.....only better ;-)......

AND: He is by no means MEN ONLY.....I am always very critical on this subject and usually can't even cope with unisex scents.....but TABAC ORIGINAL surprises and defeats me here too.....er is undeniably wearable for ladies without hesitation.....

If you like to smell sensual, warm and spicy and well-groomed, you should definitely try it!!!

I take my hat off in awe of this phenomenal classic and say: Honour to whom honour is due...!
Schwibo
Old but not old-fashioned... always a suitable companion for seasoned men
Man...i.e. my father already had Tabac Original on the dresser in the bedroom. This bottle must have felt a hundred years old, because he didn't wear it very often. But even as a child I liked the smell.
Today my husband wears it. I gave it to him one day and he liked it right away too In my opinion, something for the more mature man I like the woody aura it brings.
The fruity top notes of bergamot, lemon, neroli and petitgrain are unobtrusive and very much in the background. Because in my soap-boiling workshop I have found that one drop too many of these can completely ruin the fragrance. The pepper harmonizes very well with the rest at first impression. Later the woods come out and round off the whole thing super.
What I noticed though...maybe somebody knows that too...I feel that the After Shave Lotion is the original. Bought EdT has a slightly different scent for me, which I do not like. I don't know why this is so. The shower gel is also highly recommended if you want to do without aftershave and EdT. The durability seems to have not changed over the years...very good m. A. n.
MonsieurTest
A 21st century jicky. Scent experts & hip style circles bring back post-war wonder scent
Jicky, the modern milestone by Guerlain (1889) still enchants today. Its many ingredients are perfectly blended, the Guerlain base provides eternal delights. The Tabac Cologne is a German grandson of this grande dame. Born in hard post-war years into poorer circumstances, Tabac carries these noble genes and also shows them in features of his phenotype.
The many tones, woods and spices of the fragrance pyramid have a well-tempered effect here, as in Bach's fugues. We listen to harsh fundamental tones and soft-sweet middle voices. Everything is straighter, more concise than in Jicky. Tabac is more like a piano fugue, Jicky is a mass in B minor. Tabac is a bit more pleasing because the animalism is almost completely missing. Due to its strong oak and carnations, it tends more to the masculine side than Jicky, which in turn is slightly sweeter and more vanilla in its wonderful base note reverberation. Both offer a good deal of lavender. For scent connoisseurs with ears and a feeling for language: TAbAk (two dark A's), JIckY (two light I-LAute). Tabac, we claim, is a classically muted version of Jicky, transposed by a fifth into the masculine and impoverished.
Probably the ingredients are slightly less noble in the post-war work of Mäurer & Wirtz, composed between ruins, than in Guerlain's Opus Magnum. Both have since had to be reformulated. Both have survived this with dignity.
Both are masterpieces of densely woven, pastel-coloured scented carpets. While Jicky was an important act of cultural self-assertion of the French, who were defeated by Germany in 1870/71, we want to attribute a similar function to Tabac EdC two generations later. 7 years after the end of the war, even before the football miracle of Bern, this gentle, elegant, philanthropic creation marks a tactful step back into the zone of the good, the true and the beautiful.
I myself, a generation later, gave tabac to my dad in my youth. I stole some from his dressing table as a teenager. Soon I wore it myself for 444 days before it was replaced by the then fashionable aquatic and disco-orientals. Then Tabac was uncool for a few decades - like bell-bottoms and striped sweaters and much more, which have since then experienced two Renaissances.
Suddenly, BY SURPRISE, a few years ago, the good news reached me stereophonically from two (but unconnected?) channels: Tabac is celebrating its comeback! A renaissance of the Oak-Clove-Lavender-u.v.m. Symphony began. The Good News reached me from the perfume lovers' scene of connoisseurs, here at Parfumo, see below! And at the same time, softly whispered, then swelling, in the other ear from branches of my kinship, well-connected in circles of the hipster and artist high nobility in Prenzlauer Berg: Tabac original is VERY good and pretty cool. These in circles are, as an influenza, decisive for the spread of new trends. Recently, they consider a whiff of Tabac EdC as an admission ticket. The reasons are obvious (see above) or better: in the nose and brain stem - of course the cerebrum also comes into play, otherwise we wouldn't be writing here. Because only your cerebrum can read and arrange everything else!
Tabac is always effective and convincing: from the office to the Berghain, because even there it overcomes the bouncer's famously stern nose - but be careful, at 7 a.m. after-hours please have a spray. This EdC with the power of a common EdT lasts for 5 hours even with all kinds of dislocations.
From morning to night, from the (N)Oudist beach on Hiddensee to the fine Lake Geneva: Tabac bears witness to taste and style. Above 30°C, preferably not; below minus 5°C, perhaps use more (and put on socks, dear youth, otherwise you'll catch a cold). And the best thing for years of economic crisis: it costs almost nothing! Unbelievable: this icon of good scent costs you only 5% of an Aventus, with which you, because too many and the wrong people wear it, hardly get into the Berghain.

If you meet parents-in-law or grandparents who stayed young at heart and scent you with Cool Water or Dior creations, they might think your Tabac is a bit old-fashioned, well-behaved or simple (reason: the dark middle ages of tabac repression after 1975). The sprightly elders might doubt your trend-security. But this (in their noses) conservative image provides you with invaluable advantages: which caring person entrusts his daughters to lighthearted bride solicitors who smell like raspberry cakes or incense-resin-filled victims of exploded oud medicine labs?
In any case, I would like to make the sincerely meant recommendation to everyone: try Tabac EdC at least three times; and if you like, tell the trend news to 3 people
Note: Because this declaration of love and trend analysis for a commentary is already quite long (and the original version of my commentary exceeded the character limit), an extended allotment garden clubhouse terrace dance floor remix version is now available in my blog. In this Extended Dancefloor & PantRy version you will find there as a bonus valuable tips on aspects of family and garden life ;-)

The Illusionist
In a world where nothing is as it appears, Tabac is only in name. Tabac Cologne was born in 1952, is a survivor fragrance to the '70s, '80s,' 90s, and 2K, and is still circulating these days, I think all people around the world well know it. Since I was a boy, for years, in Italy, I saw advertising for Tabac Original faded at tobacconists or pharmacies. Often the white bottles of Cologne were "cooked" in the sun in the shop windows. I thought Tabac Original was a kind of European Old Spice, and I went about my business - I didn't need to smell it, Old Spice was my uncle's characteristic scent, a thing that I cherished and despised at the same time. Albeit Tabac Original is treated untidy by shopkeepers, the fragrance deserves some respect.

By the very name Tabac, you would expect a woody, leathery tobacco blend. Instead, we encounter a remarkably floral and soapy fragrance. Tobacco is an illusion of fougère created primarily as an accord of tonka bean, musk, woody notes of sandalwood and vetiver, and herbal notes of chamomile and lavender. Reading those ingredients, the citruses, the blossoms, and the woods, I expected a gutsy fragrance, and the formula has no doubt changed since the Sixties, but what I got was a lean, flowery, clean and soapy cologne. Instead, the secret of this longevous fragrance lies in a harmonious triad of pungent and spicy accents, exotic precious woody notes, and floral bouquets.

The design of Tabac Original stands for tradition. Over the decades, it has been carefully updated several times, while the bold logo and the amphora-shaped, opaque glass bottle have remained unchanged. The amphora hides a juice that is striking floral-aldehydic. The top notes feature a lot of aldehydes and believe me when I say a lot, leafy bittersweet petitgrain, creamy neroli blossom, sharp citrus bergamot, and lemon, and spicy black pepper. The fragrance unveils on my skin with the overt soapy and waxy accord that reminds me of my youth when only solid soap bars were around, these notes are lively but not jarring or metal as many accords of citrus in today's men's fragrances. Miserably, this excellent barbershop's opening is concise, which is quite typical of an Eau the Cologne.

The masculine nature of the fragrant heart earns balance from the mix of rich floral lavender, camomille, and geranium, and other fougère notes of oakwood absolute. I did not expect such a floral motif, that dispenses the impression of a blossoming market at dew.

A unique base of carnation, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, and ambergris makes this colony particularly wearable. Hours after applying Tabac Original, I smell only slight hints of amber and sandalwood, moss light as air with a hint of vanilla. The dry-down weakens early to leave a soapy pink finish.

The delicate refinement of this fragrance makes it suitable for everyday use, and its floral properties excel in spring. Whether it's a stylish man in the office, across town or on the beach, this fragrance leaves a lasting impression. However, the projection and the sill are both relatively weak. The wearer's entourage to catch a breath of Tabac Original after application must be intimately close. After almost an hour, I can barely smell it under my shirt if I put my nose on it. So, it lasts on my skin for a few hours but remains close to the body.

Stay well; stay healthy.

-Elysium
DER Bückdich fragrance
When you shop like this in perfumeries or drugstore chains, it always pays to bend down. At the bottom are the good guys. Above the current one. This is what the companies pay for. At head height is the best marketing place. Only if something sells well over the decades... Then it comes near the ground. But you don't take it off the market. Because so many find these scents cool and overwhelming Kouros is downstairs. Paloma Picasso is downstairs. Lou Lou's downstairs. And a lot of them. Bend over! Br /> Above all, bend over for Tabac!
No kneel down! Raise your hands and pray!
A world-class fragrance! In everything!
He is so world class that it is difficult to describe him. What does he smell like? Well, like tabac, like Kouros just smells like Kouros. This is the top tier. If components cannot be described because the composition itself defines an odour!
Still, I'll try:
Powdery, soapy. Freshly washed. Animalistic.
Should anyone here think about what I know of a fragrance and does not have Tabac in the collection. I can't really take men like that seriously. The best everyday fragrance ever! Compliments also when leaving. Durability top! Sillage just right! Price performance for me only beaten by Midnight Oud.

My self-discovery
Before I reveal my love for the olfactory masterpiece and history carrier, I would like to point out that it will be a very long commentary.

I don't think there's a fragrance on perfumo where I've started to write a comment so many times and then deleted it because I thought, "No, the comment is too bad," "No, this fragrance deserves a great comment. No, I'm commenting on this fragrance on my 100th, 200th, ......, 1000th comment, that's how good and worthy it is!" or above all, "No, you still need a few harsh winters to better understand this fragrance. "You better take your time before you comment on some bullshit you'll be denying in a few years. This hasn't been a lie since I've been a Parfumo member, and even today I'm wondering if this comment will survive this time or if it will seem too bad to me again.

Tabac Original is and remains number 1, because I love this fragrance so much that every comment so far seemed too grottig to me, because this piece of German post-war history deserves only the best feedback you can write.

Anyone wearing Tabac Original today in 2019 has either grown up with it in his youth (that's mainly the old generation) and continues to do so to this day, or wants to make a statement in modern society (here I would see the young generation as well as myself). Admittedly, one can clearly smell that Tabac Original comes from a completely different time, but I nevertheless feel it to be retro, but also timeless. As a child of the 90's I smelled him already at this time more often than it is the case today. Unfortunately, I belong to the group where Grandpa did not wear Tabac Original (in fact, he much preferred to wear Eau de Cologne).

But with fresh 18 years I came in contact with the scent in a funny way. I began my training at that time and when my former superior and department manager passed me by, he carried with him an unbelievably pleasant waft of fragrance, which I was very fond of. "Wow, what a horny smell!" I thought to myself and was really paralyzed and really wanted to know what kind of scent it is, because I have never smelled anything like it before. At that time I was still wearing my beloved Cuba Gold Paris (A Le Male clone and m.E. the better Le Male).

This fragrance radiates maturity, strength of character, masculinity and above all security. That's how I wanted to smell. Over the months I became more and more involved with my superior and he told me that it was Tabac Original. To this day, the fragrance fits him like a fist to the eye! Meanwhile I have been a student for a long time and have a kind of father-son relationship with him long after I finished my education, which is why I associate this fragrance very strongly with him. He became my foster father and taught me a lot for life, for which I am very grateful to him. You'd think he'd given me an inheritance. So it sometimes seems to me in retrospect.

I've been wearing Tabac since I was 18 and can't imagine life without him. I've experienced so much with this fragrance. I got to know my girlfriend with this scent, with whom I have been together for many years (and she loves him on me!), I matured with him, I made up for my vocational baccalaureate with it and started the life of the student and there is no end in sight.

Tabac Original is not just a fragrance to be applied for an evening to smell good and to impress the world of women. No, Tabac Original is a fragrance that you grow into and grow into, underlining the character of the wearer. The wearer must be completely indifferent to what people think of the fragrance. Rarely has an advertising slogan "Either you have character, or you don't" gone so well with a fragrance as Tabac Original, because it's not the wearer who is looking for the fragrance here, but the fragrance that is looking for the wearer. Not everyone radiates the same with this caliber. Tabac Original doesn't suit everyone. And believe me, I've been asked often enough what a great fragrance I wear and what it's called and that I smell so incredibly good
Although he's already 67 years(!) old, he's still on sale! He has gone through every decade, every development and every trend and he is still alive! Other scents will have to imitate that for now. And the best thing is that for a good price you get an unbelievably good quality. I own almost all of it! Shaving soap, hair lotion, After Shave and EdC. Everything available in my bathroom cabinet.

I hope that Tabac Original will continue to be available for decades to come, because I don't want to think about it without it, otherwise I would have to rent a location hall and cover myself with a complete monthly wage and believe me, I would do that with Tabac Original!

Actually I wanted to keep my favourite for a 100th, ...., 1000th comment, but Tabac Original is so modest and down-to-earth that he doesn't even need it. Consider this comment as my most important, because it is.
The first shave!
The whole face burned, then the extinguish with tobacco original! I will never forget this sensual experience, the face cooled down, and only this scent! Now one was grown up, and felt mature.
Later I also used powder and shaving foam from this series. And how I was happy when the down sprouted again after 14 days on the upper lip, finally I could shave again!
What beautiful memories of youth!!
Forbidden Love
I'm not allowed to wear Tabac Original EdC. My lady of the heart allows me, as she expresses it, to smell "old man", but to be alive, please, he should still be...
Well, the lady of the house has flown out for today, which gave me the opportunity to reach for the white bottle in the back corner of the shelf with a quick grasp. Against this scent, the analytical confrontation with a complex monster like Sartorial was downright simple, because it is THE scent that is loaded for generations of Germans with a plethora of associations, memories and "living worlds". As a melancholic and sentimental perfume newcomer, it's hard for me to keep my distance. An example: Is Tabac Original a year-round fragrance? Yes, of course! What's the matter with you? My best answer is: Because in my childhood I smelled him on my grandfather all year long. I have no idea whether the citric top note is sufficient to make the wood and spices suitable for year-round use. Just this much: Who has ever mothballed their oak furniture for the summer? ;)
Because the oak wood, softened by clear chamomile, is next to the carnation fired by the lavender as a sharp-fresh counterpoint the impression determining for me. And this in a "Uniqueness" that should make every international YouTube reviewer jump up with enthusiasm.
In the past centuries, German tailors have been able to give only a few original impulses to men's fashion. England, Italy and, with some exceptions, France. That's it, that's it. The bland case-like appearance of German cuts never became international. But with Tabac Original you can confidently bring a touch of olfactory, always friendly patriotism into the world. An old federal republican business card, so to speak.
But now I have to close, the woman will return soon...

For the manly man
When people say "Barber shop" type, this is what they are talking about.

Sort of like Agua Lavanda, a hallmark, a mile stone, a turning point in the cologne industry.......masculine, virile....... you name it, this is not for the meek.
Women will know you are not following a fad but making a statement..........you are a man.

ElysiumElysium 10 months ago
Despite the myriad of notes, the scent is fresh, soft, thin. Weirdly, Tabac doesn't contain tobacco notes, but it reminds me of a barbershop
ItchynoseItchynose 1 year ago
The epitome of the barbershop cologne: smooth, soapy, masculine, wearable all year round. A finely blended classic.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Triple barbrshop scent! Well blended, reasonable quality ingredients, but danger of smelling outdated or even old. I kind of like it!
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Tabac, together with a few other like Aramis, stands for "manly statement in a bottle". It must have testotosterone as an ingredient!

by Irini
by Nickname
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Mäurer & Wirtz

Tabac Original (After Shave Lotion) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man Fire Power by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Culture by Tabac: Egypt Dreams (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Craftsman by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Extrême by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet bal paré (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz Marrakech Tales (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Comma (2012) by Mäurer & Wirtz Culture by Tabac: Arena di Roma (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet petit point (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance Feu Bleu by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Gentle Men's Care by Mäurer & Wirtz Choice by Comma by Mäurer & Wirtz