Tabac Original 1959 Eau de Cologne

Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz
Bottle Design Mäurer & Wirtz
Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) is a popular perfume by Mäurer & Wirtz for men and was released in 1959. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
MuskMusk
CarnationCarnation
SandalwoodSandalwood
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.10.2021.

Time travel...
into a nostalgic world. Into my grandpa's study, at the beginning of the 2000s.
How often I watched him there as a little boy - shaving foam up to the cheekbones, in front of him a wooden bowl filled with the soapy-smelling foam. How I would have liked to emulate this ritual at the time - but the face did not show a single hair, the fluffy shaving brush with the white foam still had such a great appeal!

The atmosphere in the room was quaint. Textile wallpaper, furniture oak rustic. A large sofa directly at the window, on the cabinet a large copper eagle, in the cabinet books, records and that one or the other souvenir from wartime.

My grandfather was often in the room. When he wasn't shaving, he was watching the birds in the garden.
Tabac Original was his olfactory signature. It smelled soapy, held the notes of a classic shaving cream. It suited him, it suited the time, it suited the whole atmosphere. The scent is simple, not excited, no big tammTamm.

This time travel costs 9,99€ in the nearest drugstore.

I wear it very much.
2021, Munich, early summer night in Corona times
The fragrance was a half blind purchase. I have times by chance used the Tabac deodorant stick and found the scent very pleasant and so I got me then the cologne to.

And what can I say, on indecisive evenings, this is exactly my Ausgehduft. Today was one of these evenings. After a long abstinence, it should be a beer garden in Munich, in the end it was with some brought beers of the Flaucher.
Sitting around there with some short-term acquainted people came very quickly the question, what I would wear here for a fragrance, because it was apparently difficult to assign, in the midst of the usual scents on such an evening. Probably one or the other companion also felt reminded of her father or even grandfather - consciously or unconsciously. In any case, was consistently liked my fragrance, some of the other present may have felt offended that here the cheap fragrance was the topic of conversation and not their special.

For me personally, the freshness is particularly captivating, at the same time musk and sandalwood convey seriousness and a dignified view of everyday life. Haste with while or but: everything under control.

I have long been looking for a suitable fragrance for me. No sports locker room (hello Abercrombie), no bubble gum gel (hello Invictus). And then Tabac came along. Thank you.
Men....
The two of them didn't have much.
The greatest wealth they had was their wives and their children.
By a fluke you had in the war as young men, they were brought to Germany after the war ended.
One of them could not write or read.
But masterfully bake pizza. He opened one of the first pizzerias in his region.
The other became a leather and tanning master in one of the largest leather factories in southern Germany.

They were men!

Men whose wives had left the world far too soon.
Men who worked hard for their money and raised their many children alone.

Men who didn't know the word listlessness.

Men with certain values, principles and goals. REAL TYPES!

Their lives certainly weren't easy. And yet they had never lost their love of life. Their will and courage to make the best of their lives.

They both had that one scent. Tabac Original.

It was cheap and good!

For me, Tabac Original is one of the best men's fragrances ever.

Citrusy fresh
Dark Woody
Strong spicy

Multifaceted and perfectly balanced.

A fragrance for real men....

Tabac Original has been around since 1959.
And 30ml cost 7.95 euros.

A fragrance that can be found at the Bückware.

And actually it belongs at the top to have it always at eye level.

What a masterful creation.

Incredible.........
FvSpee
Colonial Goods XXII - Young at Heart (again)
Tabac Original Cologne is a very special fragrance for me, a fragrance of the heart. Not only does it make me feel excellently dressed for every occasion, season and wardrobe. It also works for me as a panacea and body-soul-universal tonic: In fatigue, it makes awake, in a mild crisis of meaning or depression, it supports like a freshly washed white shirt and a perfectly tailored suit, in fears of a difficult appointment, it instills confidence and security.

So while I've written a lot about this fragrance here, in my blogs, in replicas to others' comments and the like, I still haven't written a review. I've always waited for the artistic inspiration to make a special, literary comment. But since the kiss of the muses cannot be forced and time is fleeing, it will now be a very simple commentary: form follows function.

As far as leather fragrances are concerned, it has often been described in this forum that there have been the most diverse perfume-craft approaches to the idea of 'leather' over the course of time. A leather fragrance of the 'Knize Ten' generation smells completely different from 'Tuscan Leather', for example, because both fragrances approach the subject from a different angle and by different means.

I think it's the same with tobacco scents, although as far as I can see there has been much less classification and debate on these here on the forum. One of the oldest paths of approach may have been taken by Caron in 1919 with the classic 'Tabac Blonde'. The fragrance has many admirers, I can't do anything with it and don't smell tobacco. Perhaps that will come. Probably the latest approach is heavily chemically assisted and evokes in a photo-realistic way the smell of moist, bright Virginia tobacco, often along with a fruity note. You think you're sitting inside the filterless fresh cigarette, with a bowl of fruit in front of it. An example of this would be Veleno Doré by LM from 2017 (the fruit note here is cherry), similarly I find Ambre Tabac by Daniel Josier (peach).

Tabac Original, midway in time between these two approaches, is again completely different. Tabac Original is a stroke of genius. Its scent is absolutely unmistakable and as easily recognizable as the Big Dipper in the night sky. There are no scent twins (not even scent cousins) that I know of among the better known brands. Only in the field of Turkish Kolonyas have I discovered - amazingly good ones, by the way - replicas, especially Tütün (German: Tabak) by Eyüp Sabri Tuncer and Tütün Kolonyasi by Taris Incir Birligi. They differ in nuances from the original, in particular they are somewhat lighter and brighter.

Does Tabac Original smell like tobacco? I don't. Maybe it doesn't. Tabac Original offers almost the entire spectrum of a classic citrusy colognes: lemon, bergamot, neroli - this boldly enhanced by petitgrain doubling and lavender. These notes never appear alone, however. One smells the cologne out from deep within this this fragrance, but one never feels reminded of light summer freshness, not even in the very first hair-tip seconds of the top note.

Of the classic Farina notes (only) rosemary is missing, which is significant, because this fragrance is guaranteed green-free. Instead, the Cologne citric is joined by all the woody and other brown notes that the perfumery world had to offer in the 50-ies. The nose of the observer is virtually bolted with oak and sandalwood as well as (well-built) vetiver, warm amber comes along. Kitchen cupboard spices like allspice, anise and clove (unlike in Old Spice, which aims in a similar direction) are sparingly represented at best. Instead, I would have guessed the masculine clary sage familiar from the 80s. He is not specified here, perhaps a similar effect is achieved by chamomile and rose geranium.

I have already described the effect: The fragrance is extremely clear, striking, masculine. He has edge and bite, tightens and centers the wearer, but at the same time radiates an aura of warmth and security. If you wear this fragrance, you can face the world perhaps not comforted, but at least confidently.

If we leave out niche brands like Harry Lehmann, Tabac Original is for me on the men's side what Tosca is for women's fragrances: Number 1 of the German contributions to the fragrance world heritage. Ironically, both fragrances can be had for next to nothing these days.

The name of the perfumer, about whom I have been unable to find out anything further, clearly sounds less German than Catalan. There seems to have been an axis Barcelona - Stolberg (Rhineland) in the Adenauerzeit, which I can not reconstruct in any case, perhaps others can help further.

EdT, EdC and After Shave should be composed slightly different in each case. Anyway, I consider the cologne to be the gold standard. It lasts long enough to pass as EdT.

Not omitting a word about the image of the fragrance as an 'opa fragrance': undoubtedly Tabac Original was at a certain time perhaps in the 60-ies, very widespread: A kind of Aventus or One Million earlier Kalpas. It is understandable that the sound of Tabac Original was then at some point no longer fashionable and other fragrances took their turn. In addition, there was certainly a two decades in which it could be a comparative disadvantage in the fight to pass on their own genes (but even then not necessarily had to!), if one reminded the courted female nasally of his father in the courtship ritual.

Be that as it may, all that is already long enough past again. I myself get extra compliments on this fragrance from significantly younger ladies. Well, I'm old enough that "significantly younger" can also be 35, for example. Nevertheless, or precisely because of this: I consider Tabac Original to be a real insider tip, especially for the generation of really young men (20 to 30), even if it is only for testing purposes. Because the fragrance is of excellent craftsmanship at a ridiculously low price and has infinite character. And I think that it all depends on a test, whether I'm not right with the assertion that this fragrance is created to inspire both the young wearer himself as well as his intended counterpart (w/m/d) quite colossally, and that by the passage of time today also guaranteed again free of oedipal or electrical complexes.

Mozart1756
Lavender aroma masculine shaving cream
Today at Rossmann my mother wanted to smell it. Then she gave me the tester strip at home so Im writing this comment. Tabac is very old cologne. 1959? Wow. Must be reformulated, huh? Of course I dunno older versions but I can say its pretty much better at the drydown. Im not fan of the opening. But drydown = lavender dominant, soft, shaving creamy, musky, aromatic, camomile smell. Kinda like it, I think this is better for papa's, our or someone's fatherss. Mature but also soft. Gives me shaving cream, shaving cologne vibe. Oak? I dont smell it, dont find it wood woody scent so much. More soft.
pudelbonzo
The three from the gas station
I'm driving electrified now.

On the one hand you glide along silently - on the other hand I am not beaten by my environmental conscience.
And thirdly, the charging points turn out to be a meeting place for like-minded people
It's a quiet and peaceful place.
You connect the cable - and now you have time to recharge.
I was not aware before that my own energies are also charged during this rest.

And the other electric tankers around also have time.
You get into conversation - about your vehicles, of course.

Somehow it is a sworn community - and you already know each other.

So there is always a black Jaguar i pace standing next to us - a car I had also flirted with heavily - but my common sense prevailed and I gave my Opel Ampera e my favour - and my Talers.

Nevertheless, I praised the hunt driven by an older man, who I liked at first sight, as he freely admitted that he was not going faster than 120 km/h anyway.
Very cool and likeable.

And I was also attracted by the smell of the elegant "neighbour" - somehow attractive old school - and attractively familiar.
Discreetly I moved near him - and took another nose of this soft masculine note.
Finally I asked the gentleman about his exquisite scent.
It was Tabac Original.

No wonder that this beautiful scent looked familiar to me - my father and grandfather wore it when I was young.
As a teenager, I sometimes nibble a few drops - and snuggle into its soft spice.
This also explained the warmth and comfort I felt every time I met Mr. Jaguar.

I think the gentleman would also be likeable without this pleasant scent - but Tabac still worked as an additional sympathy carrier.

So there I had to praise my " tank neighbour " also directly for his smell.

I look forward to our next "Stromern" together.
The three from the gas station - the husband, Mr Jaguar and me.
Not to forget the icing on the cake - Tabac
Susan
Honour to whom honour is due....
Recently - more precisely since the virus - life seems to flow a little more viscously..... Especially now that the outdoor options are dwindling and a large part of the time is spent in my own four walls, I am occasionally bored.....

And always, when that is the case, the "daring adventurer" comes up in me.....then I do things that otherwise would not come to my mind....

One of these things is to go out and try scents that I think are awful thanks to hard-earned prejudices......in 98% of the cases I am right and go home confirmed and, in a way, drunk with victory :-D.......

Today, however, my olfactory prejudices suffered a damned bitter defeat......

Place of the event: Rossmann
Opponent: Tabac Original

A man scent. A tobacco scent. A low-shelf scent. So the odds were pretty damn good that my preconceptions would prevail this time too...

Well, and then came the most brilliant defeat EVER...!

A fresh, well-groomed, soapy top note clouds my senses and immediately draws me under its spell.....instead of the expected old man smoking a pipe, I am suddenly confronted by an extremely neat young man with a wink......okay, I think.... 1:0 for the "opponent"..... But I assume that this was only a short-term, underhanded deception, and that the pipe grandpa would reveal himself immediately.....

So I wait..... and wait.... and wait.... and wait.....

And the longer I wait, the more it has happened around me..... until I finally admit defeat completely and finally and acknowledge it: This one is a masterpiece...! To not know it would be like not knowing Opium, No.5 or Shalimar.....TABAC ORIGINAL is very big cinema...!
The well-kept, soapy opening is soon followed by a wonderfully warm and spicy, slightly sweet and almost powdery heart note, which merges into a decidedly sensual base......nothing here seems old-fashioned or even "opaesque"....on the contrary....this fragrance integrates perfectly into current fragrance trends.....only better ;-)......

AND: He is by no means MEN ONLY.....I am always very critical on this subject and usually can't even cope with unisex scents.....but TABAC ORIGINAL surprises and defeats me here too.....er is undeniably wearable for ladies without hesitation.....

If you like to smell sensual, warm and spicy and well-groomed, you should definitely try it!!!

I take my hat off in awe of this phenomenal classic and say: Honour to whom honour is due...!
Schwibo
Old but not old-fashioned... always a suitable companion for seasoned men
Man...i.e. my father already had Tabac Original on the dresser in the bedroom. This bottle must have felt a hundred years old, because he didn't wear it very often. But even as a child I liked the smell.
Today my husband wears it. I gave it to him one day and he liked it right away too In my opinion, something for the more mature man I like the woody aura it brings.
The fruity top notes of bergamot, lemon, neroli and petitgrain are unobtrusive and very much in the background. Because in my soap-boiling workshop I have found that one drop too many of these can completely ruin the fragrance. The pepper harmonizes very well with the rest at first impression. Later the woods come out and round off the whole thing super.
What I noticed though...maybe somebody knows that too...I feel that the After Shave Lotion is the original. Bought EdT has a slightly different scent for me, which I do not like. I don't know why this is so. The shower gel is also highly recommended if you want to do without aftershave and EdT. The durability seems to have not changed over the years...very good m. A. n.
MonsieurTest
A 21st century jicky. Scent experts & hip style circles bring back post-war wonder scent
Jicky, the modern milestone by Guerlain (1889) still enchants today. Its many ingredients are perfectly blended, the Guerlain base provides eternal delights. The Tabac Cologne is a German grandson of this grande dame. Born in hard post-war years into poorer circumstances, Tabac carries these noble genes and also shows them in features of his phenotype.
The many tones, woods and spices of the fragrance pyramid have a well-tempered effect here, as in Bach's fugues. We listen to harsh fundamental tones and soft-sweet middle voices. Everything is straighter, more concise than in Jicky. Tabac is more like a piano fugue, Jicky is a mass in B minor. Tabac is a bit more pleasing because the animalism is almost completely missing. Due to its strong oak and carnations, it tends more to the masculine side than Jicky, which in turn is slightly sweeter and more vanilla in its wonderful base note reverberation. Both offer a good deal of lavender. For scent connoisseurs with ears and a feeling for language: TAbAk (two dark A's), JIckY (two light I-LAute). Tabac, we claim, is a classically muted version of Jicky, transposed by a fifth into the masculine and impoverished.
Probably the ingredients are slightly less noble in the post-war work of Mäurer & Wirtz, composed between ruins, than in Guerlain's Opus Magnum. Both have since had to be reformulated. Both have survived this with dignity.
Both are masterpieces of densely woven, pastel-coloured scented carpets. While Jicky was an important act of cultural self-assertion of the French, who were defeated by Germany in 1870/71, we want to attribute a similar function to Tabac EdC two generations later. 7 years after the end of the war, even before the football miracle of Bern, this gentle, elegant, philanthropic creation marks a tactful step back into the zone of the good, the true and the beautiful.
I myself, a generation later, gave tabac to my dad in my youth. I stole some from his dressing table as a teenager. Soon I wore it myself for 444 days before it was replaced by the then fashionable aquatic and disco-orientals. Then Tabac was uncool for a few decades - like bell-bottoms and striped sweaters and much more, which have since then experienced two Renaissances.
Suddenly, BY SURPRISE, a few years ago, the good news reached me stereophonically from two (but unconnected?) channels: Tabac is celebrating its comeback! A renaissance of the Oak-Clove-Lavender-u.v.m. Symphony began. The Good News reached me from the perfume lovers' scene of connoisseurs, here at Parfumo, see below! And at the same time, softly whispered, then swelling, in the other ear from branches of my kinship, well-connected in circles of the hipster and artist high nobility in Prenzlauer Berg: Tabac original is VERY good and pretty cool. These in circles are, as an influenza, decisive for the spread of new trends. Recently, they consider a whiff of Tabac EdC as an admission ticket. The reasons are obvious (see above) or better: in the nose and brain stem - of course the cerebrum also comes into play, otherwise we wouldn't be writing here. Because only your cerebrum can read and arrange everything else!
Tabac is always effective and convincing: from the office to the Berghain, because even there it overcomes the bouncer's famously stern nose - but be careful, at 7 a.m. after-hours please have a spray. This EdC with the power of a common EdT lasts for 5 hours even with all kinds of dislocations.
From morning to night, from the (N)Oudist beach on Hiddensee to the fine Lake Geneva: Tabac bears witness to taste and style. Above 30°C, preferably not; below minus 5°C, perhaps use more (and put on socks, dear youth, otherwise you'll catch a cold). And the best thing for years of economic crisis: it costs almost nothing! Unbelievable: this icon of good scent costs you only 5% of an Aventus, with which you, because too many and the wrong people wear it, hardly get into the Berghain.

If you meet parents-in-law or grandparents who stayed young at heart and scent you with Cool Water or Dior creations, they might think your Tabac is a bit old-fashioned, well-behaved or simple (reason: the dark middle ages of tabac repression after 1975). The sprightly elders might doubt your trend-security. But this (in their noses) conservative image provides you with invaluable advantages: which caring person entrusts his daughters to lighthearted bride solicitors who smell like raspberry cakes or incense-resin-filled victims of exploded oud medicine labs?
In any case, I would like to make the sincerely meant recommendation to everyone: try Tabac EdC at least three times; and if you like, tell the trend news to 3 people
Note: Because this declaration of love and trend analysis for a commentary is already quite long (and the original version of my commentary exceeded the character limit), an extended allotment garden clubhouse terrace dance floor remix version is now available in my blog. In this Extended Dancefloor & PantRy version you will find there as a bonus valuable tips on aspects of family and garden life ;-)

The Illusionist
In a world where nothing is as it appears, Tabac is only in name. Tabac Cologne was born in 1952, is a survivor fragrance to the '70s, '80s,' 90s, and 2K, and is still circulating these days, I think all people around the world well know it. Since I was a boy, for years, in Italy, I saw advertising for Tabac Original faded at tobacconists or pharmacies. Often the white bottles of Cologne were "cooked" in the sun in the shop windows. I thought Tabac Original was a kind of European Old Spice, and I went about my business - I didn't need to smell it, Old Spice was my uncle's characteristic scent, a thing that I cherished and despised at the same time. Albeit Tabac Original is treated untidy by shopkeepers, the fragrance deserves some respect.

By the very name Tabac, you would expect a woody, leathery tobacco blend. Instead, we encounter a remarkably floral and soapy fragrance. Tobacco is an illusion of fougère created primarily as an accord of tonka bean, musk, woody notes of sandalwood and vetiver, and herbal notes of chamomile and lavender. Reading those ingredients, the citruses, the blossoms, and the woods, I expected a gutsy fragrance, and the formula has no doubt changed since the Sixties, but what I got was a lean, flowery, clean and soapy cologne. Instead, the secret of this longevous fragrance lies in a harmonious triad of pungent and spicy accents, exotic precious woody notes, and floral bouquets.

The design of Tabac Original stands for tradition. Over the decades, it has been carefully updated several times, while the bold logo and the amphora-shaped, opaque glass bottle have remained unchanged. The amphora hides a juice that is striking floral-aldehydic. The top notes feature a lot of aldehydes and believe me when I say a lot, leafy bittersweet petitgrain, creamy neroli blossom, sharp citrus bergamot, and lemon, and spicy black pepper. The fragrance unveils on my skin with the overt soapy and waxy accord that reminds me of my youth when only solid soap bars were around, these notes are lively but not jarring or metal as many accords of citrus in today's men's fragrances. Miserably, this excellent barbershop's opening is concise, which is quite typical of an Eau the Cologne.

The masculine nature of the fragrant heart earns balance from the mix of rich floral lavender, camomille, and geranium, and other fougère notes of oakwood absolute. I did not expect such a floral motif, that dispenses the impression of a blossoming market at dew.

A unique base of carnation, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, and ambergris makes this colony particularly wearable. Hours after applying Tabac Original, I smell only slight hints of amber and sandalwood, moss light as air with a hint of vanilla. The dry-down weakens early to leave a soapy pink finish.

The delicate refinement of this fragrance makes it suitable for everyday use, and its floral properties excel in spring. Whether it's a stylish man in the office, across town or on the beach, this fragrance leaves a lasting impression. However, the projection and the sill are both relatively weak. The wearer's entourage to catch a breath of Tabac Original after application must be intimately close. After almost an hour, I can barely smell it under my shirt if I put my nose on it. So, it lasts on my skin for a few hours but remains close to the body.

Stay well; stay healthy.

-Elysium

MatuxMatux 2 months ago
An EdC with a heavy tabac note (plase note the EdT is significantly different).
StamatiosStamatios 6 months ago
A classic from the 50's!Manly,rich,complex,nostalgic.
Herbal,smoky,peppery,woody,leathery,musky.
Cheap but not cheapo.Iconic flask.Respect!
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Despite the myriad of notes, the scent is fresh, soft, thin. Weirdly, Tabac doesn't contain tobacco notes, but it reminds me of a barbershop
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
The epitome of the barbershop cologne: smooth, soapy, masculine, wearable all year round. A finely blended classic.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Triple barbrshop scent! Well blended, reasonable quality ingredients, but danger of smelling outdated or even old. I kind of like it!
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
Tabac, together with a few other like Aramis, stands for "manly statement in a bottle". It must have testotosterone as an ingredient!

by Irini
by Nickname
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Mäurer & Wirtz

Tabac Original (After Shave Lotion) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man Fire Power (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Culture by Tabac: Egypt Dreams (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Craftsman (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man Gravity (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Extrême by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet bal paré (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Marrakech Tales (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Comma (2012) by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet petit point (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance Feu Bleu by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Gentle Men's Care by Mäurer & Wirtz