Tabac Original (1952) Eau de Cologne

Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz
Bottle Design: Mäurer & Wirtz

Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) is a perfume by Mäurer & Wirtz for men and was released in 1952. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Pepper, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOak absolute, Geranium, Chamomile, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Musk, Carnation, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.10.2019

10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

My self-discovery
Before I reveal my love for the olfactory masterpiece and history carrier, I would like to point out that it will be a very long commentary.

I don't think there's a fragrance on perfumo where I've started to write a comment so many times and then deleted it because I thought, "No, the comment is too bad," "No, this fragrance deserves a great comment. No, I'm commenting on this fragrance on my 100th, 200th, ......, 1000th comment, that's how good and worthy it is!" or above all, "No, you still need a few harsh winters to better understand this fragrance. "You better take your time before you comment on some bullshit you'll be denying in a few years. This hasn't been a lie since I've been a Parfumo member, and even today I'm wondering if this comment will survive this time or if it will seem too bad to me again.

Tabac Original is and remains number 1, because I love this fragrance so much that every comment so far seemed too grottig to me, because this piece of German post-war history deserves only the best feedback you can write.

Anyone wearing Tabac Original today in 2019 has either grown up with it in his youth (that's mainly the old generation) and continues to do so to this day, or wants to make a statement in modern society (here I would see the young generation as well as myself). Admittedly, one can clearly smell that Tabac Original comes from a completely different time, but I nevertheless feel it to be retro, but also timeless. As a child of the 90's I smelled him already at this time more often than it is the case today. Unfortunately, I belong to the group where Grandpa did not wear Tabac Original (in fact, he much preferred to wear Eau de Cologne).

But with fresh 18 years I came in contact with the scent in a funny way. I began my training at that time and when my former superior and department manager passed me by, he carried with him an unbelievably pleasant waft of fragrance, which I was very fond of. "Wow, what a horny smell!" I thought to myself and was really paralyzed and really wanted to know what kind of scent it is, because I have never smelled anything like it before. At that time I was still wearing my beloved Cuba Gold Paris (A Le Male clone and m.E. the better Le Male).

This fragrance radiates maturity, strength of character, masculinity and above all security. That's how I wanted to smell. Over the months I became more and more involved with my superior and he told me that it was Tabac Original. To this day, the fragrance fits him like a fist to the eye! Meanwhile I have been a student for a long time and have a kind of father-son relationship with him long after I finished my education, which is why I associate this fragrance very strongly with him. He became my foster father and taught me a lot for life, for which I am very grateful to him. You'd think he'd given me an inheritance. So it sometimes seems to me in retrospect.

I've been wearing Tabac since I was 18 and can't imagine life without him. I've experienced so much with this fragrance. I got to know my girlfriend with this scent, with whom I have been together for many years (and she loves him on me!), I matured with him, I made up for my vocational baccalaureate with it and started the life of the student and there is no end in sight.

Tabac Original is not just a fragrance to be applied for an evening to smell good and to impress the world of women. No, Tabac Original is a fragrance that you grow into and grow into, underlining the character of the wearer. The wearer must be completely indifferent to what people think of the fragrance. Rarely has an advertising slogan "Either you have character, or you don't" gone so well with a fragrance as Tabac Original, because it's not the wearer who is looking for the fragrance here, but the fragrance that is looking for the wearer. Not everyone radiates the same with this caliber. Tabac Original doesn't suit everyone. And believe me, I've been asked often enough what a great fragrance I wear and what it's called and that I smell so incredibly good
Although he's already 67 years(!) old, he's still on sale! He has gone through every decade, every development and every trend and he is still alive! Other scents will have to imitate that for now. And the best thing is that for a good price you get an unbelievably good quality. I own almost all of it! Shaving soap, hair lotion, After Shave and EdC. Everything available in my bathroom cabinet.

I hope that Tabac Original will continue to be available for decades to come, because I don't want to think about it without it, otherwise I would have to rent a location hall and cover myself with a complete monthly wage and believe me, I would do that with Tabac Original!

Actually I wanted to keep my favourite for a 100th, ...., 1000th comment, but Tabac Original is so modest and down-to-earth that he doesn't even need it. Consider this comment as my most important, because it is.

The first shave!
The whole face burned, then the extinguish with tobacco original! I will never forget this sensual experience, the face cooled down, and only this scent! Now one was grown up, and felt mature.
Later I also used powder and shaving foam from this series. And how I was happy when the down sprouted again after 14 days on the upper lip, finally I could shave again!
What beautiful memories of youth!!
8.0 7.0 6.0 8.0/10

Forbidden Love
I'm not allowed to wear Tabac Original EdC. My lady of the heart allows me, as she expresses it, to smell "old man", but to be alive, please, he should still be...
Well, the lady of the house has flown out for today, which gave me the opportunity to reach for the white bottle in the back corner of the shelf with a quick grasp. Against this scent, the analytical confrontation with a complex monster like Sartorial was downright simple, because it is THE scent that is loaded for generations of Germans with a plethora of associations, memories and "living worlds". As a melancholic and sentimental perfume newcomer, it's hard for me to keep my distance. An example: Is Tabac Original a year-round fragrance? Yes, of course! What's the matter with you? My best answer is: Because in my childhood I smelled him on my grandfather all year long. I have no idea whether the citric top note is sufficient to make the wood and spices suitable for year-round use. Just this much: Who has ever mothballed their oak furniture for the summer? ;)
Because the oak wood, softened by clear chamomile, is next to the carnation fired by the lavender as a sharp-fresh counterpoint the impression determining for me. And this in a "Uniqueness" that should make every international YouTube reviewer jump up with enthusiasm.
In the past centuries, German tailors have been able to give only a few original impulses to men's fashion. England, Italy and, with some exceptions, France. That's it, that's it. The bland case-like appearance of German cuts never became international. But with Tabac Original you can confidently bring a touch of olfactory, always friendly patriotism into the world. An old federal republican business card, so to speak.
But now I have to close, the woman will return soon...

For the manly man
When people say "Barber shop" type, this is what they are talking about.

Sort of like Agua Lavanda, a hallmark, a mile stone, a turning point in the cologne industry.......masculine, virile....... you name it, this is not for the meek.
Women will know you are not following a fad but making a statement..........you are a man.
7.5 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

GothicHeart
A tale that wasn't right...
My older brother is the most inconsistent fragrance user I've ever met. Wearing a roaring powerhouse in the morning and a syrupy bubblegummy squealer in the evening is something he finds perfectly normal and no contradicting at all. Thus, I was rather surprised the other day by smelling something quite intriguing and unusual on him. Something I didn't recognise and didn't have a clue about what it might be.

So I asked him: "What's this strange juice you're wearing bro?"
He replied: "Are you kidding me? It's Tabac for chrissakes!"
I took me less than a second to tell him: "This ain't Tabac!"

If any of you remembers an old Jim Beam commercial where Kevin Sorbo (before messing with Greek mythology) stepped into a bar in the middle of nowhere and asked for a shot of the said bourbon, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
What my brother was wearing was an exceptional masculine fragrance, but definitely not Tabac. It carried a very vibrant coriander note, which was peculiar to say the least since Tabac doesn't contain any. But since I dig coriander, I gave it two thumbs up and continued pestering him about having been cheated by bying a knockoff. However, the fact that the stuff was so good is one thing and pretending it was Tabac is another.

For some strange reason, the idea that Tabac might have been reformulated beyond recognition didn't cross my mind. So, in case it was some sort of misconception created by some strange happenstance, next morning I paid a visit to the family owned cosmetics shop where I usually delve for holy relics and asked if they had a Tabac sample. They did. But having just returned from a partial sweeping of their stockroom, they had also unearthed a 50ml splash bottle with "Made in West Germany" printed on its box. For people who dont't dig History or are simply too young to know what this means, it means the bottle predated 1990. Needless to say it landed in my bag in a heartbeat and, what's more, for a song. Paying a tribute to German perfumery, I kept happily whistling "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuss" all the way home.

Now, I parted ways with Tabac some time in the mid 90's, cause I (stupidly) thought it was time for me to move on and leave my coming of age scents behind. I've done the same thing with quite a few fragrances, and although we have become best buddies with most of them again, I'll never stop feel ashamed for that idiotic and traitorous decision of mine. All the more that some of them can't be found anymore for less than a fortnight's paycheck.

After a thorough wrist by wrist comparison, my initial take of the current Tabac version proved to be no wrong at all. It's a different fragrance. A very good one, but standing no chance to occupy a place in the front row of the shelf right under the "legendary" label where Tabac has been for so many years. The funny thing is that despite being a far cry from vintage Tabac, it's also a far cry from nearly everything else in the market today. An one of a kind reformulation of an one of a kind benchmark scent. And this deserves some credit, if nothing else. On the other hand (literally), vintage Tabac was exactly as I remembered it. Moving, comforting and spectacular. And I was more than happy for reintroducing ourselves anew.

I can't understand why Maurer & Wirtz had to launch a new version of Tabac in 2014 and make a fuss about it, since the version that was on the shelves till then had nothing to do with the one I remembered from the '80s. All the more that the newly launched version doesn't even feature a tobacco note if we're to believe its pyramid. I don't know about you, but if I ever bought a fragrance called "Rose" only to discover there's no damn rose in its composition, I'd certainly feel kinda ripped off.

Tabac was always a heroic scent to me. Something to be worn in the face of danger and turn its wearer invulnerable. Something like an assuaging smile, carrying the aura of a gallantry only found in tales anymore, since its defenders and champions are long gone from this world. Fortunately their scent is still lingering in hidden, dusty, scorned and unfashionable corners of our reality, reassuring us that our gone heroes will never ignore our distress calls and they will always be there in our time of need.
7.5 7.0/10

A Strange Tradition
A list of recommendable cheap gent's colognes would not be complete without that little stinker!

Tabac Original is the German barber shop fragrance in itself. From the 1950's onwards it was standing on the shelf in every barber shop and perfumery here. It was the leading cologne – just the juice that any guy would grab without giving a second thought about sophisticated French perfumes and the like.

Tabac Original has a wide range from Eau de Toilette to shaving care products. Unfortunately, it seems that Mäurer & Wirtz today put different fragrances into the different products – a very strange form of reformulation.

The Eau de Toilette is a rather boring Kölnisch Wasser fragrance with a focus on neroli. It seems that the After Shave and the Pre Shave (which I own) still contain the highly aldehydic and aromatic fragrance from the past. However, I cannot guarantee what you will actually get when you buy it, so it is a bit of a risk.

The aldehydic, mossy and aromatic fragrance of the original has a very funny feature. If you wear it, you get anosmic to it quite soon. Besides that, it has a monstrous sillage. This can have devastating effects when grandpa – having dressed up in his finest suit for the family meeting on his 80th birthday – decides to drown himself in that precious juice!

The current ad slogan of Tabac Original reflects that rather ignorant attitude that its wearer shows towards his environment: "Either a man has character or not."

I would say Tabac Original is absolutely cool, but please think twice before you wear it.

LovingTheAlien
A flower defined as its roots...
Tabac Original is a peculiar fragrance. It is, in essence, a cheap and cheerful aldehydic floral marketed to men, truly a rarity in the massive fragrance pool. It is perhaps for this reason that it has remained so popular through the years. Gentlemen with little regard for branding in general know that it is fresh and somehow different from everything else out there; perhaps their fathers used it. Its branding and distribution channels have taken it out of consideration for the majority of fragrance enthusiasts - it's just not discussed in the community with any particular consideration besides commentary on its absurdly low retail price.

Tabac Original opens with a lovely bouquet of aldehydes, citrus, and orange blossom. It's as cheerful and prim as any genuine 50s floral, and actually smells quite lovely. The heart of rose, jasmine, lavender, and a host of other "floral" synthetics is actually quite lovely. The first time I smelled it on paper I thought of L'Heure Bleue, its delicate balance of orange blossom, aldehydes, and obscure florals. While this is no Guerlain, it is still very nice. Woody nuances emerge, the floral bouquet becoming powdery and the whole of the composition stepping into the sweet vetiver musk territory of Arpege. The whole composition actually smells quite natural, and there is no doubt in my mind that this actually contains better ingredients than many designer fragrances do.

Unfortunately, there is a downside - the musk. There is so much damn musk (galaxolide?) in this that it overpowers everything else in the drydown. Perhaps it has zero longevity or projection without it, but it's gone to dryer sheets after a couple hours. When worn in moderation, this isn't really an issue, as these musks have come to be associated with the smell of clean people for the masses. It isn't even necessarily a downside for most people; it's just that I have grown up in a time and place that associates this smell with cheap fabric softener - something that I avoid completely these days in my (laughable) effort to smell "different." Again, for most people, this smells like clean sheets and sunshine - a perfect finish to an otherwise perfect fragrance. For me, though, I wish it would have ended differently instead of just smelling like I had washed my clothes in Tide.

Much like Tide, this scent does smell wonderful if just a bit too common.

Carlitos01 117 days ago
Triple barbrshop scent! Well blended, reasonable quality ingredients, but danger of smelling outdated or even old. I kind of like it!+4
6.0
AmberScent 8 months ago
Tabac, together with a few other like Aramis, stands for "manly statement in a bottle". It must have testotosterone as an ingredient!+3
6.0

by Nickname
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Mäurer & Wirtz

Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man by Mäurer & Wirtz Comma (2012) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original (After Shave Lotion) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man Fire Power by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Craftsman by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Gentle Men's Care by Mäurer & Wirtz Choice by Comma by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Extrême by Mäurer & Wirtz Marrakech Tales (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Ravissa (Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Culture by Tabac (1996) (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet petit point (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Gran Valor Tabac (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Extase Latin Fever Woman by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Comma (2004) by Mäurer & Wirtz