Tosca 1921 Eau de Cologne

Tosca (Eau de Cologne) is a perfume by Mäurer & Wirtz for women and was released in 1921. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
BergamotBergamot
NeroliNeroli
OrangeOrange
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
NarcissusNarcissus
RoseRose
Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergrisAmbergris
LabdanumLabdanum
PatchouliPatchouli
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Parfum1311, last update on 21.11.2021.

Leimbacher
Cologne girls have beautiful names
"Tosca" is almost 100 years old. That alone requires respect. What perfume can say that of itself today, that alone shoots the fragrance into a selected circle. Even if the current version or even my test version from the 90s (?) probably has little to do with the original of 1921... But what can the feminine flagship of 4711?

"Tosca" is without doubt 4711 and looks like a more feminine version of the Cologne water, only with a more floral base. Green and grey and fresh. Dusted would be a nice way of putting it. It's a floral aldehydomi where every woman around me thinks of her grandmother. You don't like to hear that here and you don't have to mean anything at all, but these are experiences and opinions that can't be dismissed. "Tosca" is very classic and old-fashioned. A simple everyday fragrance from back then, affordable and refreshing. Once. He hasn't lost that character, and that's a good thing, because denying his roots and DNA is even worse than dusty and smelling like falling out of time. "Tosca" is fresh, light and summery, never of high quality and properly rusted. Sparkling or modern is zero here. Even a little pee-pee, old laundry and cleaning agents creep into the questionable fragrance experience. You might think the scent is about to tip over, but I'm almost sure that this is part of his pre-war character that you don't smell too often these days. A scent like a photo album. Nice, but past. But what could be nicer than remembering your grandmother? I don't believe much. And that alone still gives "Tosca" a raison d'être. And the labdanum at the base can be smelled.

Flacon: there are many, mine is unspectacular and typical 4711
Sillage & durability: inconspicuous and after less than 5 hours already away

Conclusion: a classic, but today very dusty and (not positive) out of time. Finding a woman under 30 who thinks "Tosca" is good will probably be a difficult undertaking in 2019..
Duftsucht
Walking down memory lane..
Inspired by Ttfortwo's wonderful commentary on the Tosca perfume, my last lunchtime fragrant fish train took me straight to a certain shelf - and right away I squatted down in the corner: there they were, the fragrances of my youth: Tosca and Nonchalance. I had received them as miniatures for my set-top box (for the younger ones for explanation: set-top box = indispensable dust catcher in almost every girl's room in the 70's and maybe even early 80's, equipped with various bits and pieces of mostly underground quality. Of course there was also the other variant: Lovingly maintained and equipped and regularly dusted - just not in my room... ) Then back to the fragrance: my godmother gave me a lovingly homemade Advent calendar made from matchboxes, filled with lots of wonderful miniature things. And as highlights on Advent Sundays there were fragrances: 4711, Tosca, Nonchalance (in exactly this order) - and on Christmas Eve as a "real" gift my first real perfume. Unfortunately, the bottle was damaged and leaked in the mail - so the perfume was poured into a beautiful atomizer and I'll probably never know the name of the fragrance back then. I remember that it was an unsweet, really elegant scent. And if my memory doesn't deceive me, definitely something I could still enjoy today.
Tosca and Nonchalance landed on my arms without even sniffing the bottle or taking a strip of paper. And already in the first hundredth of a second of spraying I feel catapulted back in time. I am back in my parents' apartment, it is pre-Christmas time. My sisters and I are all sitting around the table to spread the meringue on the cinnamon stars - with small sharp knives so that the snow reaches all the way to the corners. Each of us wears an apron and has our hair neatly tied back. On another tray, butter cookies are waiting to be decorated with little sugar pearls - all in all a rather sticky affair... The Advent wreath stands with burning candles, which were always red, on a small table in the corner, because we need the whole kitchen table for our cookies.
As the youngest, I sneak away to my new treasure, which has been given a place of honour in the type case. Very carefully I unscrew the little perfume bottle, so as not to spill anything, and I smell it.
I have no memory of ever really wearing the Nonchalance and the Tosca back then. The vials were so tiny, filled with only a few precious drops - and I can well imagine that I really just smelled it from time to time. The memories of that time, when so many things were still so new and unexpected and overwhelming, make me a little nostalgic.
All this is what these scents trigger in me - and while I notice that my eyes have become moist, I decide not to break them down into head, heart and base notes and perhaps subject them to a merciless, all too adult judgement.
I want to keep them as I remember them: The magical scents of my childhood.
5.5

The long-forgotten Christmas gift-pack
Are you looking for vintage "Tosca"? It's still very easy to find good specimen of this famous German fragrance everywhere on the internet, since nearly every granny who is NOT into perfume seems to be hiding a bottle of "Tosca" somewhere in her closet. I received my recent vintage flacon three weeks ago when my 84-year-old mother-in-law discovered her long-forgotton "Tosca" in the corner of her bedroom-shelf. "Tosca" was and still is the fragrance my own mother would never ever have used or would dream of using today, but then again, she always loved perfumes - and her first fragrance was "Bandit" by Piguet. When I was a teenager and started trying perfumes in department stores etc. I sneered at "Tosca". The image of the scent was extremely old-fashioned and I hated everything about it. It struck me as a sharp, aldehydic scent, unsentimental in spite of the kitschy advertisments broadcast on German television. I'm convinced that millions of German women weren't at all keen on receiving the obligatory "Tosca gift set" their grumpy husbands selected for them at Christmas.
Revisiting the fragrance today, I have to state that I still can't warm up to it. There is nothing pretty about "Tosca". And there is nothing complex or cunning about its formula either, a couple of white flowers against a background of dashes of labdanum and patchouli. I still find it a curiously old-fashioned scent, but not in a good way. Perhaps its attempt at smelling inoffensive is its limitation. Compared to contemporary fruity-florals, vintage "Tosca" might seem quite passable today, but I can't wear it.
As for the new reformulated version I'd better keep my mouth shut, "watered-down" would still sound like a compliment.

From shock to surprise
This review is for the vintage parfum - I don't know other versions.
The initial opening is extremely sharp and bitter to my nose. The last thing I would have expected from this shock was the metamorphosis into a gentle, elegant powdery-flowery beauty! It settles sweet and classy - not femme fatale like Habanita, but I agree that there are similarities. Vtg. Tosca is not dramatic, makes me think of one of those women with impeccable style - never a loose thread from the ivory suit, never a single stain on her shoes or the matching purse. It's an incredible polite fragrance, yet you're curious to find out what lays behind all this polite elegance. There's something surprising and exciting inside. Love it.

VerbenaVerbena 4 years ago
Tosca is the comfort that my beloved granny gave to me. I still have a bottle as a keepsake so I can meet with her in my dreams.

by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
Fresh21/Fotochallenge
by ClarasTante
by ClarasTante
by Undsofort
Der Ausgehduft meiner geliebten Oma und dies war ihr letzter Flakon, inzwischen bereits 31 Jahre (!) alt, doch der Duft ist nur ein wenig schwächer geworden, ansonsten ganz so geblieben wie in meiner Erinnerung...
by SonRezi
by Schahram
by Spinazzola
by Spinazzola

Popular Mäurer & Wirtz

Tabac Original (After Shave Lotion) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original (Eau de Cologne) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man Fire Power (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Culture by Tabac: Egypt Dreams (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man Gravity (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Craftsman (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Man (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tosca (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Extrême by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet bal paré (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Marrakech Tales (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Comma (2012) by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet petit point (Eau de Parfum) by Mäurer & Wirtz Wiener Bouquet (Eau de Toilette) by Mäurer & Wirtz Nonchalance Feu Bleu by Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac Gentle Men's Care by Mäurer & Wirtz