Amyris Femme (2012) Eau de Parfum

Amyris Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Amyris Femme (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesOrange, Lemon blossom
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmyris, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Vetiver

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 18.10.2019

8.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

SolisOccasum
Hula dance with hibiscus flowers
Hula always tells a story. The rhythmic, almost hypnotic hip movements of the very elegant dancers are mostly based on the waves of the sea, while the arms tell the story. They tell of heaven, of rain, of storm and wind. Of love, loss and suffering. From goddesses of the earth and volcanoes who fall in love and yet never find together. And oh, also dolphins and rainbow dreams.
While the dancers dance their stories, with green wreaths on silky black hair and rustling bast skirts, it rains pink hibiscus blossoms with orange changing colours onto the stage.

The scent:
Here I put on

It starts quickly very fresh with juicy citrus scents. The beautiful tangy and good-humoured jump to the skin. Really a nice start. Although the lemon is more dominant than the orange.
It becomes sweeter, creamier, flowerier and pinkish orange. I don't know if it's the Amyris. It's supposed to be a little resinous, but I don't notice anything about it.
That's it, then. No bombastic course, also quite straightforward, but nevertheless very expressive.
I was very surprised that my little nose pinned a hibiscus flower imaginatively behind my forehead in Hawaii. It doesn't say anything about hibiscus. Mm, but no vanilla either.
Ooh, what my nose doesn't smell.

In any case a great fragrance for summer days like the one we have at the moment. Due to the constant sweating, the scent also steams after quite a long time. Seven hours is already in. But quite unobtrusive and not killing. A citrus cocktail also for the office
Conclusion:
a fine fresh lemon hula scent that evokes beautiful thoughts. The one beamt in this heat into the vacation and the mood improves.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Amyris Femme
Opens with a boozy-spicy white floral accord. I am not able to see anything else, the blend of jasmine and iris is so potent. The floral accord pulsates as the notes bloom on my skin; there are moments it is rich and sparkly and there are moments it is flat and stale. The fragrance is nevertheless quite pleasant to wear, I especially like the addition of tangy citrus to brighten and freshen the composition. There are moments when I compare Amyris Femme to Dior's Gran Bal because their opening seem similar, but once the central elemi note takes centre-stage a comparison is no longer possible. The fragrance becomes greener and fresher, slowly shedding its heady floral notes and focusing more on the green and citrus-like nuances of the resin. This development is emphasised by the addition of vetiver which enhances the fresh- and greenness of elemi. A hazy musky amber adds a powdery finish to the elemi-vetiver blend and accompanies the two main notes into the softest of dry-downs.

I'm an ass
I'm an ass.

I have a confession. I didn’t want to like the Maison Francis Kurkjian line. I wasn’t hoping for his failure by any means, but I didn’t personally want to like the line. It’s targeted at the perfume wearer I’m not, nor want to be. I recognize the value of branding, product identity, coherence, etc. to achieve the sales. But this line seems to sell itself as superfluous luxe. Scent your way through a life of unfocussed privilege.

The brand seems breathless to cross the line from quality products to be appreciated, to finery to be consumed. I know MFK aspires to be the Guerlain of the 21st century. But it seems more like (while this is unlikely to be taken as an insult, it is intended as one) the Hermes of perfume. To me, Hermes is a collection of painstakingly well-crafted baubles with a cost-to-function ratio that can’t be assessed since there is no function save the symbolism of affluence.

But my negativity has bitten me in the ass. The three perfumes I’ve tried in this line are pretty spectacular. Lumiere Noire pour Homme isn’t my bag, but is a seminal contribution to the resuscitation of the chypre. Cologne pour le Soir, the fragrance and the notion, take my breath away. Now Amyris pour Femme, the exceptional every-day fragrance. Amyris captures the logic that $2 K is better spent on a few ‘perfect’ pair of trousers and sweaters to wear often than the same amount spent on a suit you might wear once or twice.

I wanted to dog MFK for making perfume as decoration. I was entirely wrong. Amyris pour Femme is the exact opposite of what I wanted to accuse this line of. It is a lesson in the value of everyday quality. I imagine there are many people who simply want to wear a pretty perfume, and Amyris is a pretty perfume. But it is exceptionally pretty. It’s not so much minimal as it is to-the-point. It doesn’t require theory or critical thought. Its beauty is more self-evident than most fragrances.

Don’t get me wrong. You can think about this perfume. It has a clear intention, it is self-possessed. It has such a forthright demeanor, that it manages to come off as both unrestrained and austere. Its composition has that balance and effortlessness that tells you that it wasn’t found by accident. A perfumer has to be deliberate to strike these balances. The fragrance just doesn’t show the sweat that must have gone into it.

So to Mr. Kurkdjian, I apologize for the meanness of my assumptions. And thank you for proving me wrong.

fromscenthurdle.com