Amyris Homme (2012) Eau de Toilette

Amyris Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Amyris Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men and was released in 2012. The scent is fresh-sweet. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmyris, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Tonka bean

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 15.11.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

It's the temperature.
This is the second time I have deleted a comment in which I described a Kurkdjian creation in more detail. The first comment I revised was the one about the popular "Grand Soir". In my initial commentary, I tore it to pieces, but tried it out again some time later, tried for more tolerance and benevolence, and wrote a new commentary, which still shows that "Grand Soir" and I will not become friends, but at the same time mitigated the first, probably affect, tear and let the rating rise by 1.5 points.

Now I have a Kurkdjian on my cheek again, or rather on my neck, with which I went hard into court in my first, but now deleted comment.
Lately I wore "Amyris Homme" because of high temperatures and that despite my written statement that the tonka bean takes too long to add depth to the scent, which would make it bribe with its irrelevance. Also today he adorned my skin again, a new everyday life test was on the agenda. The thermometer almost reached the 30 degree mark and the humidity was once again a "wet" dream - just the right circumstances to play "Amyris Homme".

It was good to expose "Amyris Homme" to high temperatures and high humidity, because if it's something that Kurkdjian's creation needs, it's these two summery ingredients that occasionally drive us humans crazy, and this year in particular. "Amyris Homme" plays out all its trump cards here, of which I didn't get all the information at the first test. I guess it wasn't warm enough then. But it doesn't matter. I'm giving him a second chance, just like Grand Soir
The humidity of the air, which has now been mentioned often enough, has made me particularly sluggish and sleepy today. But "Amyris Homme" immediately raised me out of this sluggishness, thanks to the lively mandarin, which was to accompany the entire fragrance with a spicy rosemary underlay.
This was followed by the insertion of amyris and iris. The iris lent the composition a clean man character as one knows it from various other iris scents. Amyris, whose scent is said to resemble that of sandalwood, ensured that this cleanliness did not take too sterile a course. She also prevented the development of the pleasantly powdery iris into a stinging penetrant, as her aroma, similar to sandalwood, underlined the creamy fragrance and gave the now powdery mandarin more depth. That this happened was also quite good, because in the long run such a loud mandarin can also be very exhausting. So Amyris saved the day.
Now I wait for the tonka bean, which I dubbed in the first, deleted commentary as a strolling one. Warmth and humidity seemed to have spurred them on, so that after about an hour they started to work completely. It made the scent even sweeter, but without spraying the vanilla aroma, which is not unusual for tonka beans. It was sweet, but by no means vanilla. So let's describe it as a creamy sweetness that was created by the symbiosis of amyris and tonka bean and was powdered thanks to the iris.
Now let's not forget the mandarin. As already mentioned, she is still present, not as loud as in the beginning, but not shy either. Concentrated tangerine-seeking scent is not necessary to identify the tangerine, which preserves the fresh character of this overall composition in the later course of the fragrance.

I can only repeat that this fragrance needs warmer and more humidity. Whether the latter is so urgently necessary, I cannot say for sure, but high temperatures should be present in any case, it is hard to argue about that. They accelerate the emergence of the tonka bean, which once dawdles in cooler weather, and the iris, which is barely audible during the first test, also appears. It is therefore hardly surprising that the fragrance was characterised by powderiness, but above all more depth, which is decisive for a better overall assessment. In addition to the more appealing scent character, Kurkdjian's composition also captivated me with a stronger sillage. This is not a quiet pedal here and even if it is not a severe winter firecracker, it should be carefully dosed precisely because of the iris, which quickly becomes too penetrating for other people. In the case of overdosing, the whole thing can also be very pungent and correspondingly negative
It remains to be said that it is definitely worthwhile not to stamp a fragrance immediately after initial negative experiences and let it acidify on the shelf. I'm honest and say that the "Amyris Homme" really didn't attract much attention during the first testing. That would be too much of an exaggeration. I only found him to be dreary and trivial, and I searched in vain for the niche.
Did I also look for the second, positive test?
I'll make it short and say: YES.
"Amyris Homme" has more depth, more powderiness, more complexity, but it was not unique or especially prominent, especially compared to other fresh "mainstreamers". I like it very much, but it doesn't excite the endorphin release in me excessively and so I note that it is a nice, really well made fragrance that deserves its 8.0, but only because I kindly ignore the sinfully high price with such uniqueness.
8.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Basti87
Noble fresh-sweet fragrance with a very gentle, well-groomed appearance
Again a report from me about a Kurkdjian. A brand that I appreciate very much and all find very good. I had already ordered a sample of this fragrance last year and tested it extensively. I waited with a comment, because he was really a buyer, but I pondered for a long time if I would buy him. Now I've put these on. At the moment there is nothing in sight of spring, but the warm early morning and early summer will come.
Especially with fresh scents I prefer much cheaper ones, especially because you can get great scents for little money. On the other hand, fresh niche fragrances are usually not performance monsters and sometimes evaporate even faster than designer fragrances. But what MFK has to offer convinces me. This one gets approx. between 120 and 140 euro a 70ml. It's a pity that the 200ml version is not available, as is the case with some MFKs. Especially since many MFK's have a high suitability for everyday use, this would have been a great low-cost alternative. Nevertheless I have finally decided to buy.

The bottle is typically MFK. Chic cardboard and the bottle is simply chic and looks quite expensive and elegant. For the collection a high-quality bottle.
The fragrance is fresh with pleasant delicate sweetness, wood and many other facets that act in the background. I wouldn't have guessed niche in a blind test. Not because he's not noble or of high quality, but because he's a guy. He does not have this mega-extravagant and should also please the fans in the designer department. It already has something special, even something unique and there is no exact fragrance twin to this fragrance.
Fragrance title is Amyris. I know the name of a fragrance, but I don't know exactly how it smells in its pure form. The description reads great and is a bit more exotic because not so many scents contain this note. Over a long time it is quite monotonous without development, which I like extremely well with this smell. The DNA of the fragrance is simply very well-groomed, suitable for everyday use, gentle and yet seductive due to this gentle, high-quality sweetness. There are other pyramids on other sides where this fragrance also contains coconut, milk chocolate, coffee, oud and oranges. That's quite possible. Oranges could be responsible for this beautiful, slightly citric freshness. The coconut vibe could also be included for a light tropical feeling. Also milk chocolate: The sweetness is not too sticky, is rather bitter-sweet and goes well with the soft iris and rosemary. In general one should not concentrate too much on the pyramid. Very balanced and a perfectly groomed companion. Towards the base it gets a little heavier when the freshness gives up the spirit.
Performance is absolutely fine for a fresh fragrance but also not perfect. In the fresh area there are far better and worse. Shelf life should be about 6 hours, where the Sillage is really good for the first few hours. Since the fragrance DNA is very gentle, it is difficult to overdose this fragrance and it is absolutely suitable for everyday use for work and leisure.
He's not really masculine. Like most Kurkdjians he is very gentle with a strong unisex touch. In the MFK range there are many unisex fragrances that drift more into the feminine. With the exception of masculin pluriel, all of the men's fragrances are perfectly suitable for unisex use. A matter of taste. In any case a really great brand.

As a conclusion I can say: A worthwhile purchase and a real fragrance that suits many occasions. Expensive, but for me a great alternative
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

my first niche fragrance
In the perfumery I asked a nice and pretty saleswoman about her personal favourite fragrance and she referred to Amyris. At that time I had little idea of niche fragrances.

So I smelled a lot of niche scents that day, and this one made the best first impression - untroubled by the seller's opinion. So I put it on and walked through the old town. Although it was winter and I had smelled so many scents before, I had this fantastic scent under my nose all the time.

I can't really describe the scent. Smells woody floral to me. Just awesome.

The next day I searched for the fragrance on the Internet and as fate seems to have it, I found it new at an extremely cheap price on ebay :)
8.0/10

Intoxicating
A fabulously fresh scent which I assumed on first sniff was for women, but no, it's for men. I suppose the strong citrus/herbal character IS more classically male than female, but when hubby handed a paper of it to me just now (we're enjoying sniffs of what we hauled home today and yesterday, including many samples), I said, "This is for women," I was disappointed when he told me otherwise. I adore the Rosemary here and the lemon I smell under the Mandarin (or is that Amyris? must get some in). The woods are delicious, whatever they are. My guess? Cedar, mainly. The overall effect is what most people mean by the word "bracing." It's a breezy creation with quite, quite, quite appealing smells wafting up from a lovely heart. I suppose it has a slightly old-fashioned edge, but it's still a joy to experience.
7.5 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Amyris Homme
Opens with a light citrus note layered over an aoud-tinged woods accord. The opening reminds me of Colonia Oud by Acqua di Parma. Once the citrusy top note has vanished I see a blend of aoud and sandalwood enhanced by a few well-chosen spice and herb notes. I like the velvety softness and the subtle warmth of Amyris Homme, it is soothing and comforting. Oddly enough the fragrance becomes thinner and sharper as it progresses towards the dry-down. I guess that once the powdery iris and the smooth tonka bean have vanished there is nothing left to cover the scent's skeleton of synthetic woods and dry rosemary. Thankfully this unpleasant moment of unbalanced bareness is brief, for somehow the fragrance regains some of its initial plushness and ends its development as a calm woodsy-herbal skin scent.

pink & blue
The gender pairing in perfumery always bothers me.

(product) pour homme
(product) pour femme

My general complaints revolve around mistaking the arbitrary for the essential. Dresses/trousers. Pink/blue. Princess ballerina/andro-jock. It’s all bad fiction to me. Must an idea be tailored in different ways for men and women to understand it? Please don’t feel the need to do it on my account.

Or is it just marketing?

Take a perfume brief. Make two versions of it. Sell one to men and one to women. Is it just a jaded practicality that’s intrinsic to marketing?

Amyris Homme plays with the same set of ideas as Amyris Femme and can be considered its counterpart. They both juggle fruity and woody tones and they both play delicately with convention. Apparently, both the gyno and andro versions are based on torchwood or amyris, some botanical thingamabob that very few people would know of. I suppose it’s the açai berry of perfumey.

Homme is interesting for the way it manages to be sweet and sour at the same time. It feels sugared, not so much a flavor as a degree of sweetness. The sweetness seems like an attempt to compensate for an inherent tartness in the same way that sweet-tea in the American South is so heavily sugared that the tannin of the tea is undetectable.

Like its girly counterpart, the boy Amyris uses fruity, watery, woody scents that are almost melon-like and yet creamy in tone. They come within a hair’s width of a conventional sensibility. It is this nearness to normalcy that makes the two so fascinating. Are they subversive? Are they conventional, giving you what you recognize, but one centimeter beyond what you’ve already experienced? I can’t quite tell.

from scent hurdle.com
7.5 2.5 10.0 5.0/10

Drseid
Was This Really A Francis Kurkdijian Composition?
Amyris Homme opens with a very fresh light herbal rosemary note coupling with a bright bergamot-like orange citrus giving the scent an overall almost herbal aquatic vibe. The herbal citrus open remains into the early heart notes, before a synthetic dry woody accord from the base starts to peep through and then dominate the scent through the mid-heart notes through the dry-down as the top notes finally disappear, joined by a supporting slightly powdery iris. Projection is below average and longevity is excellent.

Amyris Homme starts out very nice, and its fresh rosemary and citrus opening had me liking the scent from the start... Unfortunately its dreaded synthetic dry-woody accord (almost certainly derived by the use of norlimbanol) dominates the mid-heart through the dry-down, completely ruining the experience, making the scent smell very generic like so many others. Amyris Homme is not a bad composition, but it does not distinguish itself and at its relatively high price per ml that just is not good enough (come to think of it, it is not good enough regardless). Amyris Homme earns a disappointing above average 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

by Mustang69