Amyris Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Amyris Homme is a popular perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men and was released in 2012. The scent is fresh-sweet. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmyris, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Tonka bean

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 16.07.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 7.0/10

Olfactory dawdler
"Lumiere Noire pour homme", "APOM pour homme" and "Grand Soir": Two of them liked with good to very good. One of them, on the other hand, was not my case at all, namely the latter. But there is one thing that unites them, and that is that I found quite a few words for them, because they had a certain depth and knew how to surprise. Whether that surprise was of a positive or negative nature was irrelevant, because the fact is that I found more words for them than was possible for me here with "Amyris Homme".
"Amyris Homme" has a fragrance that at first I thought was a subspecies of the iris, which I haven't disliked since "Prada L'Homme Intense". Iris is also included in the heart note, but Amyris is something different again. It is a scent relative of sandalwood, which suggests a warm or creamy-smooth scent. How this component expresses itself will be discussed later. Where do we start? True-blue with the top note, the opening. Let's go.

The opening is, for a fragrance declared as fresh, not surprising, invigorating and fresh. The mandarin is thrown into your face, already squeezed and crushed. You might think you already know it, but here Maison Francis's creation already distinguishes itself discreetly, but not above all, from the conventional designer category, in which the opening almost everywhere, at least with fresh, spring or summery scents, often seems to be the same. The mandarin, however loud and dominant it may be, is underpinned by rosemary with a contrasting green note, which brings a certain herbaceous freshness into play. This prelude is pleasant for me, but somehow not too unusual. I am more excited about how iris, amyris and tonka bean complement the top note.
The top note, let me say in advance, remains present for an incredibly long time - yes - let's say it dominates almost the entire course of the fragrance. I only hear the iris very easily as soon as it sets in. We are very far away from powderiness and I would even say that it doesn't even need the iris, which likes to come along so pure and clean, because this scent in itself is the symbol for cleanliness.
So far everything smells very fresh, very clean and by no means scandalous, but therefore also rather boring, dreary and above all thin. The fragrance, even if it is supposed to be fresh, lacks depth, which I still hope for example from the tonka bean. Yes ... where's that actually?
The tonka bean still takes a little time. Instead, only Amyris seems to shimmer through and actually this component expresses itself as I read it. It uses a subtle creaminess that you may know when you are a strawberry lover and pour milk over it. The aromatic, fruity flavour of the strawberries is somewhat muted and experiences more depth and a certain darkness. The fruit is no longer so sweet and tangy and not always out for attack. Although we don't have the strawberry as a component here, the principle I just described works because it just occurred to me spontaneously, even with "Amyris Homme". The herbaceous, discreetly spicy mandarin is bedded somewhat, but unfortunately not as I had hoped. For my taste there might be some more smoothness or creaminess there, since this extremely awake and effervescent mandarin seems to me to go gradually on the cookie. My last hope is the tonka bean, which actually knocks on the door. She seems to have gone a long and hardscrabble, if not exhausting, wrong way. When she arrives, she seems exhausted and powerless. The vanilla sweet, which actually distinguishes her, can only be guessed at. Mind you ... i am not expecting any exaggerated sweetness here, because after all, this fragrance composition should be fresh and light, but when the description of the fragrance refers to the tonka bean, I expect it to be more perceptible. Due to her practical absence - here it is like a student who is physically present in the seminar but has nothing productive to contribute - the scent does not attain the depth I would have wished for and Amyris alone cannot do much against the mandarin, however spicy-green it may be. I will not talk about the iris again now, but about the tonka bean, because it was she who let Amyris down when it came to taming the mandarin. The latter is in the game until the end. Well, it is not so rare now that an element from the top note survives the entire course of the fragrance and in our case - and this must not be concealed - is actually given a slightly woody background (see base note). Much more decisive is the how and to this it should be said that the mandarin manages until the end to knock on the nasal mucous membranes with a constant presence. I wouldn't describe this as very disturbing, because Amyris at least intervenes a little - the emphasis is on "something" - regulating. I think one could speak of an occasional, slightly annoying monotony here, but one where the tangerine-loving perfumes would get their money's worth. For me personally, the fragrance is too boring and irrelevant. But it's not bad and it's especially positive that it can be worn anywhere and at any time - be it in autumn, spring or summer, be it with a shirt, suit or casually. There can be no question of a lack of support flexibility here.

And now I somehow found quite a few words for "Amyris Homme" and that, although he seems so boring and irrelevant to me ;)
8.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

Basti87
Noble fresh-sweet fragrance with a very gentle, well-groomed appearance
Again a report from me about a Kurkdjian. A brand that I appreciate very much and all find very good. I had already ordered a sample of this fragrance last year and tested it extensively. I waited with a comment, because he was really a buyer, but I pondered for a long time if I would buy him. Now I've put these on. At the moment there is nothing in sight of spring, but the warm early morning and early summer will come.
Especially with fresh scents I prefer much cheaper ones, especially because you can get great scents for little money. On the other hand, fresh niche fragrances are usually not performance monsters and sometimes evaporate even faster than designer fragrances. But what MFK has to offer convinces me. This one gets approx. between 120 and 140 euro a 70ml. It's a pity that the 200ml version is not available, as is the case with some MFKs. Especially since many MFK's have a high suitability for everyday use, this would have been a great low-cost alternative. Nevertheless I have finally decided to buy.

The bottle is typically MFK. Chic cardboard and the bottle is simply chic and looks quite expensive and elegant. For the collection a high-quality bottle.
The fragrance is fresh with pleasant delicate sweetness, wood and many other facets that act in the background. I wouldn't have guessed niche in a blind test. Not because he's not noble or of high quality, but because he's a guy. He does not have this mega-extravagant and should also please the fans in the designer department. It already has something special, even something unique and there is no exact fragrance twin to this fragrance.
Fragrance title is Amyris. I know the name of a fragrance, but I don't know exactly how it smells in its pure form. The description reads great and is a bit more exotic because not so many scents contain this note. Over a long time it is quite monotonous without development, which I like extremely well with this smell. The DNA of the fragrance is simply very well-groomed, suitable for everyday use, gentle and yet seductive due to this gentle, high-quality sweetness. There are other pyramids on other sides where this fragrance also contains coconut, milk chocolate, coffee, oud and oranges. That's quite possible. Oranges could be responsible for this beautiful, slightly citric freshness. The coconut vibe could also be included for a light tropical feeling. Also milk chocolate: The sweetness is not too sticky, is rather bitter-sweet and goes well with the soft iris and rosemary. In general one should not concentrate too much on the pyramid. Very balanced and a perfectly groomed companion. Towards the base it gets a little heavier when the freshness gives up the spirit.
Performance is absolutely fine for a fresh fragrance but also not perfect. In the fresh area there are far better and worse. Shelf life should be about 6 hours, where the Sillage is really good for the first few hours. Since the fragrance DNA is very gentle, it is difficult to overdose this fragrance and it is absolutely suitable for everyday use for work and leisure.
He's not really masculine. Like most Kurkdjians he is very gentle with a strong unisex touch. In the MFK range there are many unisex fragrances that drift more into the feminine. With the exception of masculin pluriel, all of the men's fragrances are perfectly suitable for unisex use. A matter of taste. In any case a really great brand.

As a conclusion I can say: A worthwhile purchase and a real fragrance that suits many occasions. Expensive, but for me a great alternative
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

my first niche fragrance
In the perfumery I asked a nice and pretty saleswoman about her personal favourite fragrance and she referred to Amyris. At that time I had little idea of niche fragrances.

So I smelled a lot of niche scents that day, and this one made the best first impression - untroubled by the seller's opinion. So I put it on and walked through the old town. Although it was winter and I had smelled so many scents before, I had this fantastic scent under my nose all the time.

I can't really describe the scent. Smells woody floral to me. Just awesome.

The next day I searched for the fragrance on the Internet and as fate seems to have it, I found it new at an extremely cheap price on ebay :)
8.0/10

Intoxicating
A fabulously fresh scent which I assumed on first sniff was for women, but no, it's for men. I suppose the strong citrus/herbal character IS more classically male than female, but when hubby handed a paper of it to me just now (we're enjoying sniffs of what we hauled home today and yesterday, including many samples), I said, "This is for women," I was disappointed when he told me otherwise. I adore the Rosemary here and the lemon I smell under the Mandarin (or is that Amyris? must get some in). The woods are delicious, whatever they are. My guess? Cedar, mainly. The overall effect is what most people mean by the word "bracing." It's a breezy creation with quite, quite, quite appealing smells wafting up from a lovely heart. I suppose it has a slightly old-fashioned edge, but it's still a joy to experience.
7.5 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Amyris Homme
Opens with a light citrus note layered over an aoud-tinged woods accord. The opening reminds me of Colonia Oud by Acqua di Parma. Once the citrusy top note has vanished I see a blend of aoud and sandalwood enhanced by a few well-chosen spice and herb notes. I like the velvety softness and the subtle warmth of Amyris Homme, it is soothing and comforting. Oddly enough the fragrance becomes thinner and sharper as it progresses towards the dry-down. I guess that once the powdery iris and the smooth tonka bean have vanished there is nothing left to cover the scent's skeleton of synthetic woods and dry rosemary. Thankfully this unpleasant moment of unbalanced bareness is brief, for somehow the fragrance regains some of its initial plushness and ends its development as a calm woodsy-herbal skin scent.

pink & blue
The gender pairing in perfumery always bothers me.

(product) pour homme
(product) pour femme

My general complaints revolve around mistaking the arbitrary for the essential. Dresses/trousers. Pink/blue. Princess ballerina/andro-jock. It’s all bad fiction to me. Must an idea be tailored in different ways for men and women to understand it? Please don’t feel the need to do it on my account.

Or is it just marketing?

Take a perfume brief. Make two versions of it. Sell one to men and one to women. Is it just a jaded practicality that’s intrinsic to marketing?

Amyris Homme plays with the same set of ideas as Amyris Femme and can be considered its counterpart. They both juggle fruity and woody tones and they both play delicately with convention. Apparently, both the gyno and andro versions are based on torchwood or amyris, some botanical thingamabob that very few people would know of. I suppose it’s the açai berry of perfumey.

Homme is interesting for the way it manages to be sweet and sour at the same time. It feels sugared, not so much a flavor as a degree of sweetness. The sweetness seems like an attempt to compensate for an inherent tartness in the same way that sweet-tea in the American South is so heavily sugared that the tannin of the tea is undetectable.

Like its girly counterpart, the boy Amyris uses fruity, watery, woody scents that are almost melon-like and yet creamy in tone. They come within a hair’s width of a conventional sensibility. It is this nearness to normalcy that makes the two so fascinating. Are they subversive? Are they conventional, giving you what you recognize, but one centimeter beyond what you’ve already experienced? I can’t quite tell.

from scent hurdle.com
7.5 2.5 10.0 5.0/10

Drseid
Was This Really A Francis Kurkdijian Composition?
Amyris Homme opens with a very fresh light herbal rosemary note coupling with a bright bergamot-like orange citrus giving the scent an overall almost herbal aquatic vibe. The herbal citrus open remains into the early heart notes, before a synthetic dry woody accord from the base starts to peep through and then dominate the scent through the mid-heart notes through the dry-down as the top notes finally disappear, joined by a supporting slightly powdery iris. Projection is below average and longevity is excellent.

Amyris Homme starts out very nice, and its fresh rosemary and citrus opening had me liking the scent from the start... Unfortunately its dreaded synthetic dry-woody accord (almost certainly derived by the use of norlimbanol) dominates the mid-heart through the dry-down, completely ruining the experience, making the scent smell very generic like so many others. Amyris Homme is not a bad composition, but it does not distinguish itself and at its relatively high price per ml that just is not good enough (come to think of it, it is not good enough regardless). Amyris Homme earns a disappointing above average 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

by Mustang69