Baccarat Rouge 540 (2016) Eau de Parfum

Baccarat Rouge 540 (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Baccarat Rouge 540 (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBlood orange, Jasmine, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmbergris
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Fir balsam

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 08.03.2019

8.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10
Sweetened tomatoes in practice
Do you know the scent when you remove the green from vine tomatoes and smell it on your fingers, paired with that of a small cozy doctor's office plus a mini sugar icing on top?

These 3 components flow into me when I try Baccarat Rouge 540.

In 2-3 steps here subliminal happiness hormones are released.
You seem to feel safe and healthy. Well, the sugar is not healthy, but it also creates a happy mood.

In addition, the expected pain in the doctor's office is absent and thus a second batch of happiness hormones is released.

The third thrust comes spontaneously from time to time, when you get a serious compliment from your fellow men.

I find Eau de Parfum more intense and longer lasting than Extrait.
Therefore my recommendation rather to the "more favorable" version.

But in all, both are very great scents.
8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10
Crystalline Forest
Hey hey!
I'm describing Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian tonight. If one of you now thinks of the game of chance Baccarat (also known as Baccarat, i.e. written without the "t" at the end"), he (or she) is wrong, because Baccarat does not mean the card game, but a token. Baccarat is a 250 year old manufacturer of high-quality crystals and glasses. On the occasion of its 250th anniversary, this manufacturer wanted to present itself with a high-quality fragrance, so to speak, and chose MFK as its fragrance manufacturer, so that the two noble brands worked together to produce this fragrance. From Baccarat came the great crystal bottle, from MFK of course the fragrance.

By the way, the number 540 in the name refers to the manufacturing process of a certain crystal color of the manufacturer, the baccarat red, which turns red by adding gold dust (24-carat) to the molten crystal and then heating it to 540 degrees Celsius.

So, after all this has been clarified and you now know how you could theoretically make baccarat red yourselves, I can come to the fragrance.

The fragrance:
The fragrance starts with blood orange (oh, it's very suitable in colour :) and sweet jasmine, and there's also a bit of herbaceous saffron, which on paper sounds unusual to the sweet fragrance, olfactory but smells very nice and goes well with it, but the intensity of saffron is still rather low.
Unfortunately, the blood orange, which I found quite nice, fades quite quickly. Or to put it another way, it becomes so weak that you can only perceive it a little when you smell it precisely on the sprayed spot, because it is quickly superimposed by the sweet, sugary scents. Otherwise, the fragrance smells more like jasmine, with the sweet note of amber quickly being joined by another sweet note.
After the top note, the fragrance becomes a little more bitter and a little more... medical... this may be due to the fir balm, but for me it also smells a little bit like medically scented scents, like camphor for example. But I find this neither pungent nor disturbing, since the camphor-like scent is firstly weakly pronounced and secondly the balsamic resinous fir notes smell stronger and also look more beautiful.
And if we are talking about fir trees, then of course a woody scent is also part of it, in this case it is the cedar. Anyway, the fragrance also gets lightly creamy and powdery notes, which especially go well with the sweet fragrances.
Towards the end, it remains sweet and resinous, and yes, I have to admit that this medical note also smells a bit stronger at first, but is still not so pungent that it would bother me personally. Apart from that, it becomes weaker again in the later base. All in all a beautiful and also a little unusual fragrance.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is strong and stays that way for a while, so the scent is quite good to smell at one or the other. The shelf life is quite good because the fragrance lasts eight hours and more.

The bottle:
As always, the rectangular bottle is of very high quality and consists of crystal glass and has bevelled or ground side edges. It has a red label on the front (in baccarat red) with a golden border. The MFK logo can be seen on the back. The solid lid is also gold-plated. I think the bottle is massive and very beautiful as always, but I think it's a pity that only in the Extrait de Parfum version of the fragrance does the bottle itself come in baccarat red, ... I think, if the fragrance is already composed for a special occasion, then you could have filled both variants of the fragrance in the more beautiful red bottle...

So, the smell here is actually quite nice. Although he is a little unusual with his resinous and above all the slightly medical smells (which is good, because this is a change, because you don't always get to smell something like that), he also reminds a little of the color red, because the sweet scents partly smell like rouge (so what you ladies smear on your delicate food and what I find quite delightful with you :D).

Of course this medical note can also be perceived more strongly or pungently by some people, but I would still recommend testing the scent here, because I think it is quite successful. It's good for going out, and maybe every now and then during the day for yourself. I'm a little unsure about the season and would find the fragrance wearable in all seasons, well, except maybe not in hot summer.

Yeah, like I said, Baccarat Rouge is well worth a look... um... a nose. And was it already again from me, I wish all a nice evening and until then :)
9.0 10.0 10.0 7.0/10
Clear rejection
I was extremely excited about this fragrance. The name, the bottle and above all the price make you very curious. I'm not a fan of red. I prefer bottles with green and blue. Fresh and lively, with a summer feeling. But with this one, elegance and depth are already screaming at you. It looks delicious. I thought he could be a masterpiece. And in a way, he is. When I smelled him, I couldn't get out of the amazement at all. He was a pleasant, intoxicating sensual pleasure. This sweet, elegant, soft powdery note is so pleasant and delicious that I couldn't take my nose off my wrist for hours. I thought, "That's it!" a great projection and a heavy durability. "The One Scent".
But now comes the other side of the medal.
The longer I had him, the more dissatisfied I became. This tickling firework of sensory explosion gives way to a sobering panic about the animal character that comes through. I'm guessing it's the amber. It lies on the scent and makes it sweetly heavy and exhausting. The clothing smells for days afterwards, and if you wash a shirt with it in the machine, the other laundry smells too. But that doesn't smell nice anymore. Since I'm a vegetarian, I don't like real amber either. I don't believe that companies are content to buy something that was washed up on the beach by chance in order to be profitable. I did not deal with it, but I can imagine that one whale hunts also for this misused around then the amber artificially on sea water with sun exposure to mature let. I know pretty much every animal crueler documentary and can say that pretty much everything that has to do with animals in the area of food, entertainment, clothing and cosmetics is so abnormal and suffering behind the scenes that it turns everyone's stomach who still has a little residual feeling and it's assumed that amber buying is not based on chance finds. So I'm living more and more vegan and I don't do all this stuff anymore. I'm practically out of it. Who doesn't know. Amber develops in the intestine of the pot whale. The lumpy excrements of the whales which swim on the sea mature by sea water and sun exposure to the amber. They're washed up on the beach and worth a fortune. But anyone who believes that companies make their profitability dependent on expensive accidental finds probably still believes in Santa Claus. That's why I don't like this fragrance. Even if it didn't develop so negatively in its scent character, and thus immediately moved into my Top 5, I would have clearly pulled through. Nothing can smell or taste so good that I fold with my principles regarding animal ethics. I just don't do this anymore. Maybe I am wrong and there are no illegal "amber factories" anywhere in Japan or China. But even if I am wrong, and here what is very unlikely exceptionally it is echr so that one relies on coincidence finds with me the world does not end if I consume no Tieramber.
8.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10
Practice Vs. cotton candy
A few months ago I decided to test almost all MFK's. It started with Lumiere Noire, whom I bought blind. I liked it so much that I wanted to meet the others. Most of them I have tested extensively and I have to say: Kurkdjian knows his trade. Not only as a perfumer for other brands, but also for in-house productions.
Even though he is rated very well at 7.7, there is still a lot of criticism. Disinfectant, dental practice, cotton candy... It is definitely a special fragrance that polarizes properly. A fragrance you should never buy blind due to positive experiences. What makes this fragrance stand out for me: The recognition value, the extraordinarily good performance and simply the entire appearance.

The MFK scents are very inexpensive compared to other niche scents, which here are significantly more expensive. MFK's usually cost between 120 and 150 Euro per 70ml. This 200 to 230 euros. It is also available for big fans in 200ml. There is also the much more expensive Extrait de Parfum, which however does not have the best reputation and does not really do justice to the high price. Especially as far as performance is concerned, this fragrance is a bomb. Durability and Sillage. I give both of them a 10.0. This scent settles in the nose, even a sprayer is very strongly perceptible. Also the Sillage is especially at the beginning really cool and nothing for people who like to stand in the background. In the 2nd hour she lays down easily, but is nevertheless very strongly present. I find it perfect for going out and for evening events.
The bottle is the typical MFK, but here even nobler due to a great colour combination. Beautiful golden lid and the color of label and perfume looks high quality and noble.

In describing the fragrance, I have to say: It actually moves between the dentist's office and the cotton candy booth. An extraordinary station wagon. This fragrance has a very clean sterile touch, paired with a cotton candy note that sounds cheap but is not. Not sticky, but nobly sweetened. Floral notes with it. I also perceive a light fruity note.
I don't smell special notes here, but in the whole package they make an original composition. He has something polarizing, but also some sensuality and sexiness. Fits type-conditionally but rather to the self-confident type, since he comes across very loud and straight.
I have tested it several times and I like it very much. I accidentally applied it once before going to the gym. Luckily only a sprayer on the back of the hand. It was funny to wear such "penetrating" scent during sports because even a sprayer works very strong.

Last question: Unisex? More of a women's fragrance to me. Even if you shouldn't always categorize everything, I would have guessed a woman's scent in the blind test. But everyone should decide for himself.
game of chance
Kurkdjian excels at creating well turned-out perfumes. Smooth, seamless perfumes with lovely olfactory shapes and pleasant profiles. Of course, he also makes Cologne and Absolue pour le Soir, two of the dirtiest roses available, so he’s not limited to olfactory pleasantry. Still, most of the Maison Francis Kurkdjian perfumes have a mannered quality. Where various perfume lines promise Arabian fantasy or minimalism or narrative, MFK offers the comfort of normalcy. Only better. MFK gives us the mainstream, but with a perfection that negates the inherent dullness found in middle of the road.

Take the Amyrises. They are luxe versions of what you might find on the department store fragrance counters at any given moment—they are designed to be. They might not draw your attention at a distance, but up close the fit looks just too good to be off-the-rack. They balance a prim detachment with a wink to let you know that there’s more here than just an idealized designer perfume.

Baccarat shares the refined, muted quality of the Amyrises but not their designer style. It is more abstract and uncluttered. The polish, the precious-metal glow that many of Kurkdjian’s perfumes have is there, but the shape is less conventional. It riffs on a mainstream sensibility, but less so than the Amyrises.

The opening of the perfume matches the the nearly-fruity scent of fir to a juicy orange but cuts the sweetness with a mineral edge. The saltiness and a cotton-candy note circle each other, yet Baccarat 540 skips the lingering caramel predictability of the current run of praline perfumes. The specific notes seem to recede over time as large olfactory images come into focus. A marine/ambergris shape gives a balanced, synthetic profile to the heartnotes. The sweet/nutty pairing holds together through the drydown giving a cozy coherence from top to bottom.

Unusual? Yes.

Edgy? Not in the least.

Interesting? Try it and see.
6.0 8.0 10.0 3.0/10
Drseid
Play The Game, Avoid This Luxury Crystal Maker Inspired Perfume...
Baccarat Rouge 540 opens with a brief dash of saffron spice infused dulled orange before quickly moving to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart, the orange morphs to a vague, slightly transparent and relatively sweet fruity floral jasmine accord, as powerful woody amber takes on the starring role, with significant powdery oakmoss and fir balsam support. During the late dry-down the composition remains highly linear as the powder infused woody amber continues to control sans the jasmine and sweetness, now with mild cedarwood support through the finish. Projection is very good to excellent and longevity outstanding at nearly 24 hours on skin.

What a stinker Baccarat Rouge 540 is. I knew in seconds I would detest this composition, and sadly after a couple full wearings on skin my opinion hasn't changed. The initial dulled orange is tolerable, but that only lasts five seconds before the composition turns cloyingly sweet from the woody amber, and extremely powdery from an unpleasant and poorly implemented oakmoss and fir balsam tandem that is suffocating to the powder averse like this writer. As the composition is highly linear, things don't change much all the way through the finish, letting the nose torture continue on and on... and on. In truth, there really isn't anything I can say positive about the composition's smell as it is all bad, really. At least on the flip-side for those perfume warriors that can tolerate wearing this scary stuff, the performance metrics, especially longevity, are absolutely outstanding. So if you are insistent on wearing an early "worst new perfume of 2016" candidate (at least easily to the nose of this writer), you will live with this stuff all day and all night without any fear of it wearing off. The bottom line is Baccarat Rouge 540 may seem like a relative bargain at its current selling price of $300 per 70ml bottle (as it originally was sold as a 250 piece limited edition in a fancy Baccarat crystal bottle for an eye popping $4000), but in truth $3 is paying too much for this "poor" to "very poor" 1 to 1.5 stars out of 5 rated horror. Spending your $300 at the baccarat *table* is a better investment.

JoaoMartins 175 days ago
Good, but overrated. MFK has way better fragrances than this one. Oud, AUF, AVF...
10.0
Yos 8 months ago
Explaining what is smells like sounds bad but it's AMAZING! Completely unisex too. Smooth, sweet, and unique!+1
6.0
SamuelGustav 20 months ago
This is like one of those beautiful celebrities, beautiful until they open their mouths. It's like a love/hate thing.+3
ScentedSalon 3 years ago
Quality ingredients but becomes sickly with the jasmine and orange. Not enough to call this a beautiful perfume.+2
6.0