Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Grand Soir is a popular perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesSpanish labdanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesBenzoin siam
Base Notes Base NotesBrazilian tonka bean, Amber, Vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 22.06.2019

9.0 8.0 9.0 5.0/10

The Attempt at Tasting
"What tastes good doesn't help." Man, I couldn't hear it in my childhood years. With great disgust I think back to the big antibiotic tablets that were supposed to heat up my frequent middle ear infections. Somehow one tries to cover up this abnormal taste by adding sweet treats, but this should never succeed completely. A certain taste remained therefore always present.

Well, we don't want to compare Grand Soir to any antibiotics I couldn't get down back then. But perhaps one or the other is wondering why I have started my comment by including a drug of all things. But I'm also pretty sure that some people are already suspecting it.

So... what's my point?

"Grand Soir" by Maison Francis Kurkdjian is definitely a fragrance that can be attributed with the term "niche". I have never been in contact with resinous scents before, at least until now, and I was curious when I sprayed the scent on the back of my hand for the first time.
Everything begins with a minimal smoky note, which probably comes from the Labdanum. This does not remain lonely for long and is immediately welcomed by Siam-Benzoe, the dominant component in "Grand Soir". So that's the resinous thing you're always talking about with this scent. I imagined this to be completely different. I roam with our four dogs through the woods in the north of Berlin and am lucky enough to pass by a large pile of piled up tree trunks, I hear this typically resinous-spicy atmosphere that characterizes our forests so much, but I don't find exactly this in the scent. Rather, a - I feel it this way - medical note knows to be astonishing. It seems so unnatural, so distant and in its own way quite polarizing. The fact that the medical is so prominent and so unpleasant reminds me of the quotation with which I began my commentary. It just doesn't taste, in this case my nose. I'm even about to run to the sink and use soap to end the misery. But as Kurkdjian is known, he likes to create fragrances that impress with their versatility. "Lumiere Noire pour homme" would be a good example and indeed "Grand Soir" is also changing.
With the insertion of tonka bean and vanilla as well as amber, this penetrating medicine takes a back seat, but by no means in such a way that one can claim that it is now gone. The resinous medical component now experiences some sweetness, creaminess and depth - away from clinical sterility. It is this attempt to make the fragrance palatable by adding that sweetness - vanilla and tonka bean - to conceal the unpleasant sides. But just as it doesn't work with drugs, it doesn't work here either, because the benzoin resin remains simply too dominant, too ingestive, while the elements found in the base note can still shake its throne. Since I don't seem to suffer that resin at all after the first sniffing, only one thing remains to be said for the conclusion, namely:

Mission failed! Tasting failed

Pomadig!
I only have a sample of this beautiful fragrance, but I'm seriously thinking about buying it. I would just like to add a small observation to the many wise and differentiated comments here: In my opinion, the ultimate 'scent twin' to Grand Soir is the classic pomade by Layrite, the water-soluble original. This slightly vanilla sweetness, mixed with resinous green astringency, is addictive. Since I associate many beautiful memories with the Layrite pomade, this speaks very much for this smell. I just wanted to place this here for a moment if anyone is looking for a suitable hair styling solution... :)
9.0 8.0 10.0 8.5/10

Toffee time
My Liäson with "Ambre Nuit" by Christian Dior failed due to the excessive presence of Amber. Otherwise I would have liked to keep the scent, because sometimes it may (or must) be sweet, caramel and vanilla. These fragrances, also known from childhood, convey a sense of security, are attractive and attractive.

Then Grand Soir stepped out and said, "Take me!"

Indeed, Grand Soir is a brother of Ambre Nuit, not only in spirit, but also in appearance and conduct. A sweet, caramel, vanilla flatterer. But just without amber overdose.

These wonderfully delightful waves of vanilla coffee are heavenly, but at some point, at the end of a great evening, one wishes for a refreshment. As if you emptied half a bag of caramel sweets and would now like a glass of water.

But the evil Stiefonkel Francis forces one to empty the bag of sweets to the end. Until you can't see any more candy. The sweetness of the fragrance does not end and many a one transfers his bottle to the Souk
Too bad, really, because this flatterer does a good job if you know the right dosage. One like this should not be missing in any perfume collection.

Benzoin resin is a perfect fixator. I know that from when I used to experiment a lot. That was about 25 years ago. I was a young boy with great interest in fragrant things and the "Hobbythek" emptied me of how to boil gentle soaps myself. So I cooked diligently and scented my products with a fragrance oil, which I had purchased liter by liter from an aroma manufacturer. It was the scent of Joop's "Le Bain".

And because I could not boil so much to consume so much oil, despite the rapid decrease in my circle of friends, I decided to also mix an eau de toilette. Fragrance oil, alcohol and water. But the scent evaporated like the wind (durability: 3.7). We needed a fixator. And that was benzoin resin that I added to my EdT in small amounts. By some miracle, my product now had a shelf life that was extremely satisfactory.

And it's precisely this benzoic resin that makes Grand Soir's Tonka and Vanilla stick to you like a bad reputation.

I would like to make a recommendation:

The perfume should only be sprayed on the clothing. Not on the skin. You can take off your shirt, blouse or blazer at any time and get rid of the scent. These still smell like Uncle Francis after a week, by the way.

Then you'll soon be in the mood again for a cosy, sweet, warm, wonderful vanilla caramel.
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Schoork
With you every night is great
A great evening begins with you and your!

You have so much in common!

You're beautiful!
You're cute!
Your arms are like balm!
With you I feel so safe!
I inhale you and feel relaxed!
Together with you I look into the sunset!
With you I can just drop me!
You are my port, my home!
You're so soft!
You make everything a little more beautiful!
You're sensual!
I'm so glad I have you!
I can just enjoy you!
You're a dream come true!
I've had to wait a long time for you!
You're almost perfect!
You belong with me!
You're a direct hit!

Ever since we've been together, I've been feeling wonderful
I go for a walk with you in winter and it smells of soft sweet resin and benzoin, while the wind envelops us in honey vanilla and surrounds us with an aura of amber so fine, so clear, so soft. Everything is so perfectly coordinated. I enjoy every moment with you, time gives us so many hours and yet I am sad when you go.

Every day with you is a big night! You're just wonderful!

A great evening begins with you and her!
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Cuddle up, who can!
Hello and a nice 2nd Advent!
If I were to ask you what all this belongs in winter, what would you answer here?
Hot drinks, warm clothes (among other things Ugly Christmas Sweater... wanted to buy me something like this, by the way, but found most of them a little too scratchy, so it "just" became a Ugly T-shirt!), cookies, caps, hot chocolate and and and and...

Of course I would also answer "cuddly cats", but then I would have you on my back immediately, because you would say: "That's him again, he's annoying again with his hangover etc..."
Hmpf... yes yes yes yes let me, but well, then I'll do it like Steve Martin in his role as brain surgeon Dr. Hfuhruhurr, who has the cat removed from the operating theatre every now and then during a brain operation with the simple words: "The cat out!" D
Then I'm not talking about cats this time! Pah...

But, I have just said the keyword already, or part of it: "cuddle".
Is that clear or what? You need cuddly blankets in winter... well, actually more so the ladies, because I have never seen a man with a cuddly blanket (unless he had a cold!). And if he did, he would not use the blanket to cuddle, but rather build a cave in the living room out of it, one that is very pleasant and cosy, with a laptop (for Netflix etc...) inside and a lot of cookies and a sign in front of the cave that says "women forbidden!
Yes... must be sometime! Especially if you want to have your peace and quiet in the protection of the cave and maybe then build and play Lego models, because you are NEVER too old for Lego!! :DDD

What am I getting at? I honestly forgot with all the bullshit! I think the scent here was also somehow cuddly soft or something... hence the babbling about cuddly blankets!

The fragrance:
The scent starts with the benzoin (the benzoin?? I have no idea... :D). It smells wonderfully soft, sweet resinous and simply beautiful. The background is slightly spicy, and in the beginning I even had the feeling of perceiving a very light tobacco note.
As so often with Labdanum, I'm not sure how exactly this smells, but the benzoin (which is the benzoin???) I really have no idea, and yes, I'm just too lazy for google :D) I recognize good for it. It smells just like the little pieces of benzoe-resin I once got from a sweet perfume here!
A little later you can smell the light-sweet scent of amber. The fragrance then smells for a while until the vanilla becomes more intense and can be smelled better. From then on the fragrance becomes even more powdery and above all softer. Every now and then, by the way, I still perceive this tobacco-like scent, which is probably a combination of some scent components that gives me this impression.
In the later base everything remains as it was, but this "tobacco" note decreases, and the intensities of vanilla and amber are reversed, so the vanilla becomes much stronger as usual, while the amber begins to weaken. A really nice scent!

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The radiance is good and the fragrance retains its intensity for a while. So it can be smelled for a few hours on one or the other.
The durability is also good, even very good with over twelve hours!

The bottle:
The bottle is solid and rectangular. It consists of crystal glass and is filled with a beautiful amber scented liquid. On the front you can see the fragrance and brand name, on the back you can see the logo. The lid is mainly rectangular and gold-plated and also looks solid. The bottle may look simple, but it's very high quality and looks very good with its clear lines.

Ah, that's the third or fourth cuddly scent I've introduced here lately. And like most of them, this one is a great one. The difference to fragrances like Gritti Light Powdery is that you can't smell iris here, but Amber, which smells just as great!

So I think the fragrance is great, even though it is relatively simple, but who says that fragrances with few fragrances have to be worse because of that? No, Grand Soir belongs to the top recommendations in my opinion, if you like warm, soft, gentle, well also cuddly scents. Just give it a try, I think it might be really worth it!

Its fragrance belongs in winter, as it is not really heavy, but it is heavy enough for warm days. And as so often it is a "all-purpose weapon", that is, it goes well at work in small doses, in my spare time it is beautiful anyway and I also think that you can use it for going out if you want to radiate, that you are sweet, cuddly and also "weeeeich" :D

Soo... you know what the worst thing is in winter? Here in the apartment there are a few places (... I almost wanted to write cookies again!:D) where there are some cuddly blankets as documents for the cat, which he also uses all (you can tell by all the white cat hair, which sticks to it, no matter how often you go with the lint roller to the things!), but still he has to use everything I want to use, no matter if cardigan, blanket, duvet, etc... of course he can do EVERYTHING, but he allows you absolutely NOTHING!! Such a stupid filthy cattle, as soon as he has my chair, he even wants to get up again and still scratches if I want to remove him from there... :DDD
... hmm.... and I didn't want to write anything about cats in this commi here anymore...! Well, then I'll just go play a little with Lego, hö hö :D

Have a nice evening :)
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

like nightingale blow
A few weeks ago a dear perfumista sent me a small bottle of this red-gold dream.
I had been curious for a long time, because only bottle and color had done it for me.
Now it was only a question of finding a suitable moment for testing.
"Grand Soir" should not be wasted for window cleaning or reading newspapers.

My great expectations were not disappointed: quite the contrary!
Even me, a fish-blooded creature, with many scents that got stuck somewhere in their development, was immediately surrounded by a scented mantle that invited me to cuddle and dream.
During the course of the fragrance I suddenly heard the tender, longing blow of the nightingale.
This small inconspicuous bird sobs and warbles in the insulation, that shivers of longing and in the everyday life of concealed tenderness, alternating with quite ordinary goose bumps, cover me again and again.
Opposite to the radiant cheerful morning song of the lark, which spreads joy to the day, the nightingale gets into the mood for a very special evening; it beguiles!
"Grand Soir is the Nightingale and not the Lark
Although Shakespeare, when he put these words into his Julia's mouth, certainly did not think of a seductive fragrance experience. But do you know?

This fragrance seduces to dreaming and draws soft, sometimes a little surreal images.
So I suddenly see Remy, the little boiling rat from the movie "Ratatouille": no, it's not romantic yet - patience, it will be fine!
Washed by masses of water through the canals to Paris, the little guy finally lands in a big townhouse, climbs several stairs and finally sits on the roof: in front of him Paris, the city of love, spreads out! At first amazed!
The dusk slowly sets in, the sky becomes slightly pink and grey: we dream ourselves to Paris; accompanied by the music of Michael Giacchino that floats so wonderfully here.
A cinematic impression that not only makes the soul smile.

But now back to the fragrance: I must now find words for a creamy golden veil of fragrance that envelops me without crushing me.
Resinous seasoning of labdanum and benzoin form a base that develops very pleasant and full-bodied.
This is also necessary to direct the sweet sensual force of tonka bean and vanilla into the right channels.
Amber adds her own nuance of subtle passions.
All these components have been so cleverly mixed here that a complex, very harmonious fragrance symphony is created; perfectly conducted by Francis Kurkdjian!
Thank you, Maestro!

So one is extremely well prepared for the "big evening".
Whether the romance with walks in the sunset, candlelight dinners, picnic with the lover - "Grand Soir" fits here perfectly.
Also the very big performance, which is almost demanded by the grand staircases of the opera houses in Paris and Vienna, is captured in this fragrance: the elegant floating in large wardrobe up or down these harmoniously curved steps becomes child's play.
A radiating scent coat protects against possible stumbling!

"Grand Soir is rapidly evolving toward the peak of fragrance. A long prelude in the course of the fragrance is expected here: "Grand Soir" is there, is simply present!
For hours on end, this fantastically beautiful fragrance composition is a reliable, rich companion; only late does it retreat elegantly, but still leaves the fine touch of a promise.
What we finally make of it is up to us!
Have courage ...

(A little "Grand Soir" reminds of one of those old-fashioned flypapers that used to hang from the ceilings: if you get too close to them, you inevitably get stuck!)

I'm so taken with this fragrance that I'm already eagerly waiting for the bottle with the rest of it.
Unfortunately it comes from Portugal - hopefully not with the snail mail!
8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Bliss
So GRAND SOIR meant to be the next POUR LE SOIR... I feel a bit sad. Both of them are incredible and fantastic. POUR LE SOIR is (was?) woody, rather unisex and brown.
But... GRAND SOIR is also fantastic, and landed immediately on my wishlist. Right now the ratings say 8.8 / 10. Pretty realistic.

Unfolding itself with innocent, aquatic flowers, looking around, realizing, that the place is safety, GRAND SOIR grows to be a wonder! Depending on your skin, it can be more aquatic-flowery, or more honey-fruitty. It is a true bliss to wear this sweet, honeydew-melon like fragrance, that is strong, heavy and happy.

Kindred: Safanad (de Marly), Le Rivage des Syrtes (MDCI), Back to Black (Kilian)
Audience: unisex (a bit more feminine than the ancestor)
Strength: not extreme, but still pretty good
Type: yes, completely my type :D
Season: from the moment, when I already grabbed a bottle, all seasons included
Occasion: always, when I am awake

Pio 79 days ago
A very delicate scent, blended to perfection. Wonderful.
Toreter 8 months ago
Suede amber, that lingers on 4eva but dont project. Is like walking with a velvet halo surrounding you very close to skin. Warm & comfort+1
JoaoMartins 9 months ago
One of the most beautiful scents I've ever put my nose on!+1
Ps1160 15 months ago
Rich honey opening. Decadent and luxurious through the ambery dry down. Leans feminine.+7
Lexa 21 months ago
Wonderfull warm patchouli amber fragrance,bringing to the table an almost 12 hours longevity. A more ambery Coromandel,so well blended.+3
ScentedSalon 3 years ago
A smoother, more ambery MFK Absolue Pour le Soir. This new creation will replace it. I like the new one slightly better.+5

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Scottie
................. guten  R u t s c h !!  ;)) ...............
by Anarlan