Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Grand Soir is a popular perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-resinous. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesSpanish labdanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesBenzoin siam
Base Notes Base NotesBrazilian tonka bean, Amber, Vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 13.10.2019

9.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Duftiibus
I wouldn't have expected... sexy in Marrakech:)
It was one day in my perfume shop in Zurich...

It wasn't the most beautiful day (weather-wise) but thanks to a perfume it became super:)

I had put the focus on Amyris and Baccarat Rouge 540 but then the seller offered me a fragrance and I was blown away after the first sniff...

I haven't smelled such a beautiful vanilla/amber note for a long time:) spicy and I had to smell my arm all day long. Thanks to the different resins, which come sweetly, it lasts super long on the skin and smells for me really like a beautiful summer night in Marrakesh / Paris... A sexy perfume which lasts super long and with which one is ready for a wild night:)

The warmer the body the more you smell the spicy tonka bean ... dreamlike:) this fragrance comes into my collection :) try it out and let yourself be enchanted:)
9.0 9.0 10.0 8.5/10

DerDefcon
Everyone deserves a second chance ... or a third.
If you get to know a person for whom you feel more than just friendship, but at the same time your own emotional world is not yet clear because of certain, not quite so positive character traits, you think about it, talk to your closest friends and ask yourself over and over again whether this really is the person you want to be with, with whom you want to share your deepest secrets and with whom you would share many other things.
Of course, nobody's perfect. In addition to positive aspects, there are also always negative ones. It's human nature. But even if not everyone is perfect, everyone has his or her not too great character traits, in the end you have to ask yourself the question - quite pragmatically - whether you can and want to live with exactly these bad sides that are so individual for each person, whether you can accept them or not. Does the positive outweigh the negative or even vice versa? How to decide?

"Grand Soir" is no big love now, but "only" a perfume - what a "heretical" statement in this forum ;). If I tried for the first time, shortly after I got the hotly awaited bottling, to live through that "big evening", which is already some months ago, I was scared away, scared away, and also a little traumatized and as one talks with his closest friends about love, I would like to talk with you perfumes now about "Grand Soir", because there is really a need for speech.

It was warm, not yet this midsummer as we had it a few weeks ago, but it was warm - I estimate about 20 degrees. "Grand Soir" immediately grabbed my arm during our first encounter, tried to enchant me with a sweetheart who only looked like a superimposed one, because deep down inside I felt something that made me sink into my chair in disgust. The sweetness somehow felt wrong and artificial, sprayed by someone who only uses it to manipulate, to suck in. It seemed as if my "Grand Soir" with all its sweetness wanted to hide its corners and edges, its negative sides or its weaknesses in order to win my sympathy at any price. It all seemed so staged and obvious to me. Very well I registered his existing artificiality, which could not be hidden despite all the sweetness. And then it should get worse. "Grand Soir" became intrusive, loud and personally unpleasant to me. I left the place, he followed me. I got on the subway, he followed me. Then I finally got to my front door ... well. He just didn't understand that I didn't want anything to do with him, that our first date would probably be the last one.

As you can imagine with certainty, it wasn't just the so-called first and last date. I was kind of curious and needed a few weeks to recover from all this. The days got colder and I decided to try it again.
Our second date went a little better. He was still a bit pushy, but he let the great acting be. He kept trying to woo me with all that sweetness, but I didn't find it so bad anymore. The negative sides were not tried to hide and that was exactly what made the previously existing antipathy fly away a little. But was I sure now? Can I imagine a future together? I don't know yet.

A third encounter should follow. The nights became really cool now, partly the five degree mark was undercut and one longs for more warmth and security, differently than in the still warm spring or even summer. The days become shorter, more uncomfortable and darker, which somehow also has an effect on us humans. It simply needs a warmer of the heart, one who brings a little light into the dark time of the year. "Grand Soir", which I now met a third time, since I finally asked for certainty, was just right. Somehow I liked its sweetness, even its obtrusiveness, as soon as vanilla and tonka bean unfolded their magic, the benzoic resin after some time produced a slightly smoky note and the amber rounded the whole thing off with a discreet creaminess. "Grand Soir" knew about my need for affection and warmth, stayed with me for a long time, attracted strange glances with his character, but without it disturbing me greatly.
This third evening was really big, great, special and actually I am smarter and safer now than before.
I like "Grand Soir", can imagine spending time with him, but not always. "Grand Soir" has a special character that is meant for special situations - a character that is sometimes perfect, sometimes out of place. But if there's one thing I can be absolutely sure of, it's its reliability, because as soon as it's there, it's there and then it's right, without any compromise. I've learned to understand and like its corners and edges. The positive now prevails and the negative is no longer so negative. The latter is simply one of them and so - after three attempts - I can imagine spending a little time with "Grand Soir", but not minute by minute, not hour by hour, not day by day, not month by month

Pomadig!
I only have a sample of this beautiful fragrance, but I'm seriously thinking about buying it. I would just like to add a small observation to the many wise and differentiated comments here: In my opinion, the ultimate 'scent twin' to Grand Soir is the classic pomade by Layrite, the water-soluble original. This slightly vanilla sweetness, mixed with resinous green astringency, is addictive. Since I associate many beautiful memories with the Layrite pomade, this speaks very much for this smell. I just wanted to place this here for a moment if anyone is looking for a suitable hair styling solution... :)
9.0 8.0 10.0 8.5/10

Toffee time
My Liäson with "Ambre Nuit" by Christian Dior failed due to the excessive presence of Amber. Otherwise I would have liked to keep the scent, because sometimes it may (or must) be sweet, caramel and vanilla. These fragrances, also known from childhood, convey a sense of security, are attractive and attractive.

Then Grand Soir stepped out and said, "Take me!"

Indeed, Grand Soir is a brother of Ambre Nuit, not only in spirit, but also in appearance and conduct. A sweet, caramel, vanilla flatterer. But just without amber overdose.

These wonderfully delightful waves of vanilla coffee are heavenly, but at some point, at the end of a great evening, one wishes for a refreshment. As if you emptied half a bag of caramel sweets and would now like a glass of water.

But the evil Stiefonkel Francis forces one to empty the bag of sweets to the end. Until you can't see any more candy. The sweetness of the fragrance does not end and many a one transfers his bottle to the Souk
Too bad, really, because this flatterer does a good job if you know the right dosage. One like this should not be missing in any perfume collection.

Benzoin resin is a perfect fixator. I know that from when I used to experiment a lot. That was about 25 years ago. I was a young boy with great interest in fragrant things and the "Hobbythek" emptied me of how to boil gentle soaps myself. So I cooked diligently and scented my products with a fragrance oil, which I had purchased liter by liter from an aroma manufacturer. It was the scent of Joop's "Le Bain".

And because I could not boil so much to consume so much oil, despite the rapid decrease in my circle of friends, I decided to also mix an eau de toilette. Fragrance oil, alcohol and water. But the scent evaporated like the wind (durability: 3.7). We needed a fixator. And that was benzoin resin that I added to my EdT in small amounts. By some miracle, my product now had a shelf life that was extremely satisfactory.

And it's precisely this benzoic resin that makes Grand Soir's Tonka and Vanilla stick to you like a bad reputation.

I would like to make a recommendation:

The perfume should only be sprayed on the clothing. Not on the skin. You can take off your shirt, blouse or blazer at any time and get rid of the scent. These still smell like Uncle Francis after a week, by the way.

Then you'll soon be in the mood again for a cosy, sweet, warm, wonderful vanilla caramel.
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Schoork
With you every night is great
A great evening begins with you and your!

You have so much in common!

You're beautiful!
You're cute!
Your arms are like balm!
With you I feel so safe!
I inhale you and feel relaxed!
Together with you I look into the sunset!
With you I can just drop me!
You are my port, my home!
You're so soft!
You make everything a little more beautiful!
You're sensual!
I'm so glad I have you!
I can just enjoy you!
You're a dream come true!
I've had to wait a long time for you!
You're almost perfect!
You belong with me!
You're a direct hit!

Ever since we've been together, I've been feeling wonderful
I go for a walk with you in winter and it smells of soft sweet resin and benzoin, while the wind envelops us in honey vanilla and surrounds us with an aura of amber so fine, so clear, so soft. Everything is so perfectly coordinated. I enjoy every moment with you, time gives us so many hours and yet I am sad when you go.

Every day with you is a big night! You're just wonderful!

A great evening begins with you and her!
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Cuddle up, who can!
Hello and a nice 2nd Advent!
If I were to ask you what all this belongs in winter, what would you answer here?
Hot drinks, warm clothes (among other things Ugly Christmas Sweater... wanted to buy me something like this, by the way, but found most of them a little too scratchy, so it "just" became a Ugly T-shirt!), cookies, caps, hot chocolate and and and and...

Of course I would also answer "cuddly cats", but then I would have you on my back immediately, because you would say: "That's him again, he's annoying again with his hangover etc..."
Hmpf... yes yes yes yes let me, but well, then I'll do it like Steve Martin in his role as brain surgeon Dr. Hfuhruhurr, who has the cat removed from the operating theatre every now and then during a brain operation with the simple words: "The cat out!" D
Then I'm not talking about cats this time! Pah...

But, I have just said the keyword already, or part of it: "cuddle".
Is that clear or what? You need cuddly blankets in winter... well, actually more so the ladies, because I have never seen a man with a cuddly blanket (unless he had a cold!). And if he did, he would not use the blanket to cuddle, but rather build a cave in the living room out of it, one that is very pleasant and cosy, with a laptop (for Netflix etc...) inside and a lot of cookies and a sign in front of the cave that says "women forbidden!
Yes... must be sometime! Especially if you want to have your peace and quiet in the protection of the cave and maybe then build and play Lego models, because you are NEVER too old for Lego!! :DDD

What am I getting at? I honestly forgot with all the bullshit! I think the scent here was also somehow cuddly soft or something... hence the babbling about cuddly blankets!

The fragrance:
The scent starts with the benzoin (the benzoin?? I have no idea... :D). It smells wonderfully soft, sweet resinous and simply beautiful. The background is slightly spicy, and in the beginning I even had the feeling of perceiving a very light tobacco note.
As so often with Labdanum, I'm not sure how exactly this smells, but the benzoin (which is the benzoin???) I really have no idea, and yes, I'm just too lazy for google :D) I recognize good for it. It smells just like the little pieces of benzoe-resin I once got from a sweet perfume here!
A little later you can smell the light-sweet scent of amber. The fragrance then smells for a while until the vanilla becomes more intense and can be smelled better. From then on the fragrance becomes even more powdery and above all softer. Every now and then, by the way, I still perceive this tobacco-like scent, which is probably a combination of some scent components that gives me this impression.
In the later base everything remains as it was, but this "tobacco" note decreases, and the intensities of vanilla and amber are reversed, so the vanilla becomes much stronger as usual, while the amber begins to weaken. A really nice scent!

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The radiance is good and the fragrance retains its intensity for a while. So it can be smelled for a few hours on one or the other.
The durability is also good, even very good with over twelve hours!

The bottle:
The bottle is solid and rectangular. It consists of crystal glass and is filled with a beautiful amber scented liquid. On the front you can see the fragrance and brand name, on the back you can see the logo. The lid is mainly rectangular and gold-plated and also looks solid. The bottle may look simple, but it's very high quality and looks very good with its clear lines.

Ah, that's the third or fourth cuddly scent I've introduced here lately. And like most of them, this one is a great one. The difference to fragrances like Gritti Light Powdery is that you can't smell iris here, but Amber, which smells just as great!

So I think the fragrance is great, even though it is relatively simple, but who says that fragrances with few fragrances have to be worse because of that? No, Grand Soir belongs to the top recommendations in my opinion, if you like warm, soft, gentle, well also cuddly scents. Just give it a try, I think it might be really worth it!

Its fragrance belongs in winter, as it is not really heavy, but it is heavy enough for warm days. And as so often it is a "all-purpose weapon", that is, it goes well at work in small doses, in my spare time it is beautiful anyway and I also think that you can use it for going out if you want to radiate, that you are sweet, cuddly and also "weeeeich" :D

Soo... you know what the worst thing is in winter? Here in the apartment there are a few places (... I almost wanted to write cookies again!:D) where there are some cuddly blankets as documents for the cat, which he also uses all (you can tell by all the white cat hair, which sticks to it, no matter how often you go with the lint roller to the things!), but still he has to use everything I want to use, no matter if cardigan, blanket, duvet, etc... of course he can do EVERYTHING, but he allows you absolutely NOTHING!! Such a stupid filthy cattle, as soon as he has my chair, he even wants to get up again and still scratches if I want to remove him from there... :DDD
... hmm.... and I didn't want to write anything about cats in this commi here anymore...! Well, then I'll just go play a little with Lego, hö hö :D

Have a nice evening :)
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

like nightingale blow
A few weeks ago a dear perfumista sent me a small bottle of this red-gold dream.
I had been curious for a long time, because only bottle and color had done it for me.
Now it was only a question of finding a suitable moment for testing.
"Grand Soir" should not be wasted for window cleaning or reading newspapers.

My great expectations were not disappointed: quite the contrary!
Even me, a fish-blooded creature, with many scents that got stuck somewhere in their development, was immediately surrounded by a scented mantle that invited me to cuddle and dream.
During the course of the fragrance I suddenly heard the tender, longing blow of the nightingale.
This small inconspicuous bird sobs and warbles in the insulation, that shivers of longing and in the everyday life of concealed tenderness, alternating with quite ordinary goose bumps, cover me again and again.
Opposite to the radiant cheerful morning song of the lark, which spreads joy to the day, the nightingale gets into the mood for a very special evening; it beguiles!
"Grand Soir is the Nightingale and not the Lark
Although Shakespeare, when he put these words into his Julia's mouth, certainly did not think of a seductive fragrance experience. But do you know?

This fragrance seduces to dreaming and draws soft, sometimes a little surreal images.
So I suddenly see Remy, the little boiling rat from the movie "Ratatouille": no, it's not romantic yet - patience, it will be fine!
Washed by masses of water through the canals to Paris, the little guy finally lands in a big townhouse, climbs several stairs and finally sits on the roof: in front of him Paris, the city of love, spreads out! At first amazed!
The dusk slowly sets in, the sky becomes slightly pink and grey: we dream ourselves to Paris; accompanied by the music of Michael Giacchino that floats so wonderfully here.
A cinematic impression that not only makes the soul smile.

But now back to the fragrance: I must now find words for a creamy golden veil of fragrance that envelops me without crushing me.
Resinous seasoning of labdanum and benzoin form a base that develops very pleasant and full-bodied.
This is also necessary to direct the sweet sensual force of tonka bean and vanilla into the right channels.
Amber adds her own nuance of subtle passions.
All these components have been so cleverly mixed here that a complex, very harmonious fragrance symphony is created; perfectly conducted by Francis Kurkdjian!
Thank you, Maestro!

So one is extremely well prepared for the "big evening".
Whether the romance with walks in the sunset, candlelight dinners, picnic with the lover - "Grand Soir" fits here perfectly.
Also the very big performance, which is almost demanded by the grand staircases of the opera houses in Paris and Vienna, is captured in this fragrance: the elegant floating in large wardrobe up or down these harmoniously curved steps becomes child's play.
A radiating scent coat protects against possible stumbling!

"Grand Soir is rapidly evolving toward the peak of fragrance. A long prelude in the course of the fragrance is expected here: "Grand Soir" is there, is simply present!
For hours on end, this fantastically beautiful fragrance composition is a reliable, rich companion; only late does it retreat elegantly, but still leaves the fine touch of a promise.
What we finally make of it is up to us!
Have courage ...

(A little "Grand Soir" reminds of one of those old-fashioned flypapers that used to hang from the ceilings: if you get too close to them, you inevitably get stuck!)

I'm so taken with this fragrance that I'm already eagerly waiting for the bottle with the rest of it.
Unfortunately it comes from Portugal - hopefully not with the snail mail!
8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Bliss
So GRAND SOIR meant to be the next POUR LE SOIR... I feel a bit sad. Both of them are incredible and fantastic. POUR LE SOIR is (was?) woody, rather unisex and brown.
But... GRAND SOIR is also fantastic, and landed immediately on my wishlist. Right now the ratings say 8.8 / 10. Pretty realistic.

Unfolding itself with innocent, aquatic flowers, looking around, realizing, that the place is safety, GRAND SOIR grows to be a wonder! Depending on your skin, it can be more aquatic-flowery, or more honey-fruitty. It is a true bliss to wear this sweet, honeydew-melon like fragrance, that is strong, heavy and happy.

Kindred: Safanad (de Marly), Le Rivage des Syrtes (MDCI), Back to Black (Kilian)
Audience: unisex (a bit more feminine than the ancestor)
Strength: not extreme, but still pretty good
Type: yes, completely my type :D
Season: from the moment, when I already grabbed a bottle, all seasons included
Occasion: always, when I am awake

Pio 6 months ago
A very delicate scent, blended to perfection. Wonderful.
Toreter 11 months ago
Suede amber, that lingers on 4eva but dont project. Is like walking with a velvet halo surrounding you very close to skin. Warm & comfort+1
JoaoMartins 13 months ago
One of the most beautiful scents I've ever put my nose on!+1
Lexa 2 years ago
Wonderfull warm patchouli amber fragrance,bringing to the table an almost 12 hours longevity. A more ambery Coromandel,so well blended.+4
ScentedSalon 3 years ago
A smoother, more ambery MFK Absolue Pour le Soir. This new creation will replace it. I like the new one slightly better.+6

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Scottie
................. guten  R u t s c h !!  ;)) ...............
by Schoork