Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
Top 12 in Unisex Perfume
Grand Soir is a popular perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-resinous. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette)

Top Notes Top NotesSpanish labdanumSpanish labdanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesBenzoin SiamBenzoin Siam
Base Notes Base NotesBrazilian tonka beanBrazilian tonka bean
AmberAmber
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 22.10.2021.

Colombia
This scent reminds me of my childhood, my mother is from Colombia and I lived in Colombia from age 3-7, went to kindergarten and 1st grade there. I always looked up as a child to the men I met and got to know. They would always greet me and the first thing I noticed was the scent they wore. It was a scent with amber and a certain sweetness. When I first sprayed on Grand Soir, it immediately brought back all those memories of that time. What a beautiful time and today, I am the grown man wearing that scent to greet the younger ones. Yeah, well... History repeats itself. Gracias Amigos!
une soirée vraiment formidable
My niche perfume tour started when I pitched my tents in Paris for a year in August 2019 to do a voluntary social year in a school for disabled children. I had started to look more intensively into fragrances of all kinds (designers at first, of course) shortly before that; but as I know it from me, I don't stick to the "normal" things in life for long, preferring to devote myself to the extravagant and, along with it, the expensive. So I diligently researched the Internet for the most famous and renowned Parisian perfume boutiques, and found, among others, the "Maison" (house) of Francis Kurkdjian, a perfumer with Armenian roots born in 1969 in the city I love so much.

The flacon design of the fragrances displayed in the boutique near the Tuileries immediately swept me off my feet completely: so simple, so practical, yet so ingenious, so classy and so delightfully snobby ;).

After several tests of random off the shelf perfumes (with then still seeeeehr untrained nose) caught my attention the fragrance to which I dedicate this review. Like liquid auburn-orange gold in a 75 ml glass bottle, I thought to myself. How much I was to be proved right, I didn't know at the time..........

Sprayed it on the tester, found it "Alright", and took it to my little West Paris apartment alongside a few other échantillons, mainly from the "Oud-mood" range. The next day (Saturday), for lack of other choses a faire, I then perfumed my room completely, and sprayed some MFKs on my arm, hand and other still exposed skin areas. The "Grand Soir" also landed somewhere on my body, opening the door to another world. Before anyone thinks this is over the top, wait and see!

After countless more tests of just this one perfume (the "Oud-mood" range had suddenly become terribly boring), I rushed to the metro, got off at the "Tuileries" and snagged a 75 ml Grand Soir gem. After more test sprays over the next few days, I was sure I was definitely in another world. The class, the elegance, the sophistication, the skillful "snobiety" of this fragrance is intangible and incomparable. To me, this fragrance smells of a kind of likeable and endearing, yet insanely decadent arrogance. This could already be the end of this/my story with "Grand Soir" by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, if it weren't for one more huge little anecdote.

In the relatively mild Parisian winter of 2019, I was really looking forward to one of a few get-togethers with a friend who lives in an eastern suburb of Paris. We had a date at a bar near the Place de la Nation in the bustling and lively Bastille neighborhood, and she told me in advance there would be a few other friends of hers joining us. Half an hour after us, these "other friends" arrived at the bar, and introduced themselves as 2 pleasant young men and a girl, the sight of whom left me speechless from the first moment. Their looks, their appearance, their casual elegance and their unaffected charm triggered something like love at first sight in me. I had, of course, in the meantime forgotten the fragrance cloud of the scent, which still surrounded me very perceptibly a good hour and a half after applying the 2 sprays on my neck. As we greeted each other with the typical French cheek kisses, she looked at me for a moment too long and said "tu sens merveilleux" with what could only be guessed as a smile on her lips. We spent a wonderful evening, laughing, playing cards, talking about Franco-German similarities and differences, enjoying those and borrowing a Parisian evening from a picture book, drawn by a master.

Before I fell asleep, an invisible companion, whom by now I should have forgotten for the second time, made himself impressively known again. He seemed to be talking to me, whispering something to me. I did not understand him; he spoke a language not of this world. I knew at once what he was trying to tell me. Two words. Grand. Soir. Grand. Evening. That was all he needed to say. That was all he needed to say. I smiled and nodded. Yes, a truly great evening. You made it so. Your name says it all. You were made for a big night out in Paris. You fit like a glove in this vibrant, breathtaking, charming, beautiful, indescribable cosmopolitan city. Merci beaucoup, Monsieur Grand Soir for this evening that will be remembered as one of the most beautiful of my life and thank you, Monsieur Francis Kurkdjian, for this fragrance.

I have only seen the girl once before today. That night. Whether I will ever see her again, heaven only knows. But when I wear Grand Soir, she sits beside me and smiles softly at me....
some moments can't be repeated. They are too unique, too golden. The most you can do is preserve them in a perfume bottle, and pull them out when you want to remember....

like great evenings out..

Blgfragrance
One of my all time cold weather favourites.
It's like a warm blanket in the winter, a very comforting scent with a beautiful vanilla-amber combination. Yes, it's very sweet, but not in a cloying way. Very long-lasting, with big projection. It reminds me of Christmas. The only drawback is the price, but due to its intensity, you are good to go with 3-4 sprays and don't need to respray too often.
TonHawky
La fin d'un voyage, The end of a journey
It is the depths of winter. A heavy snowstorm blows around outside in the cold and darkness envelops the small village that I have almost reached after my seemingly eternal journey. The icy cold, which is already slowly trying to bring my body to its knees, is becoming more and more unbearable. In the distance I see a few scattered lights from the houses, which try to give me hope and encourage me to go on. Every single step tugs at my strength.
There are only a few hundred meters that separate me from certain death by frostbite and the abrupt end of my journey... One more time, grit my teeth. Once more give everything... With the last forces I put one foot in front of the other and pave my way to my goal.
I pull my coat tighter and the hood deeper into my face. The whipping snow pulls me through my marrow and leg....

Suddenly I start to stumble.
I feel my body sink powerlessly into the snow, and the hopeful lights in the distance seem to grow smaller and smaller...

My eyes grow heavy...

It's getting quiet... It's getting darker and darker...

Powerless, I lie still, the snow slowly settling over me... Eyes fall shut.

What is this?
I feel... warmth...?
I can't move from the pain.
I can only just open my eyes with the greatest effort.

Light.

Orange-gold light. A fireplace in the middle of the room radiates it, bathing everything around it in warmth and security. I lie on a bed of straw. Apparently my wounds and my almost frozen body have been doctored and covered with a warm wool blanket. I smell faintly the bandages and ointments that seem to have been used. At the other end of the room, a few people are sitting around a large solid wooden table. A man and a woman from the group rise and approach me with a jug.

"Thank God, you woke up."
"Here, take this. It will bring you back to strength"

Carefully, the woman hands me the jug. It is warm. A heavenly smell of vanilla, sweet alcohol and spices rises to my nose and an incredible warmth flows through my whole body. I take a sip. Then another. My body slowly thaws and carefully regains its strength.

"Come sit with us when you feel better, there's some food for you here"

After some time, I slowly get up. The warmth of the fireplace and the drink spreads more and more throughout my body. I sit down at the table. The people around me pass me all kinds of fine food. When I have fully regained my strength, I begin to tell the story...

The evening went on long, I told about my experiences, my journey, about my bad luck to be caught in the snowstorm. The fireplace did not lose its beautiful light, nor its warmth. A few more jars were taught and stories told before the evening ended.

On my journey I have made many acquaintances and spent many pleasant social evenings, but this was more than just any evening of many, this was THE evening for me.
My greatest evening.

It is good
Grand Soir - a fragrance that can be worn by both men and women. A fragrance that will not disappoint most of those who use it. It is a fragrance that perfectly combines sweetness and resin. It's a bit of a gourmand, aware of the workshop it comes from. It's a very pleasant combination of lambdanum, benzoin and tonka bean in vanilla, all wrapped in amber. The scent is original, there is no mistaking it.

good amber
Looking at the notes of the pyramid one might think it is a sweet and pleasing perfume, sugary and gourmand perhaps, but no. Indeed, it is quite pungent for a non-spiced amber. It is almost powdery, at times it reminds me of the smell that white bubble baths leave after a shower. I do not perceive a clear note of amber, but I feel more a single perfume, very elegant, clean, elegant, dry but soft and very very beautiful, sweet. I don't see it suitable for people too young, I think it's a 30-35 perfume. Beautiful.
BellaObd
First granny then cuddle factor
In the still very cold spring about a year ago it was so far again and it grabbed me the desire for a new fragrance
What special it should be, something after which one turns on the street. Gladly may my fellow men by an unbeatable Sillage in my spell.

In countless searches on the Internet, I came across the turquoise D on Grand Soir.
The reviews read promising and especially the fragrance pyramid made me curious.
Amber, tonka, vanilla? That can only be a fragrance for me, I thought.

Since I wanted to order me anyway the Holy Grail BR540, Grand Soir was allowed to move in blindly with.
Barely 3 days later I got the message that my package was delivered in the kiosk of my confidence. I could hardly wait until it was finally 4pm and I could call it a day. Off to the kiosk.

Who knows me knows that I am a very impatient person, what packages and orders. So zack purely in the kiosk, package fetched and back in the car. Immediately the package was torn open and came to light the BR540 known to me and: Grand Soir. I was so curious that I opened him still in the car and sprayed me on the wrist.
And then ''..puhh...ehm? What is this? This is supposed to be him, the performance of the 'Grand Soir'?" Smells somehow in the prelude totally stale and after grandma. I really don't want to smell like that and no one will turn around here either. At least not in a positive sense. ''No thanks, it goes back by return mail!''

Since I have from work to home about 1 hr. fahrt, I sniffed again and again on my wrist and the closer I came to home, the more beautiful he developed.
He was getting warmer, more vanilla, yes right to cuddle... Skeptical I was still. The great reviews of the other Duftverrückten I still could not quite understand.

Arrived home were immediately presented to my friend the two new acquisitions. On the other wrist came the BR540. Then he was allowed to sniff. ''So the smells kind of funny, is quite okay, but does not have to be'' All right, so the BR540 could not knock him off his stool. Then came the other arm and now Grand Soir made its grand entrance on the sofa at home: ''Mhhh... wow... I like this one. Keep it, it smells great on you, kinda sexy, biteable''. So the man had made his judgment.

And it was true: in the meantime, GS had developed into a true amber dream on my wrist. Warm and cozy, yet special. The granny was gone and GS moulted from there until today to one of my absolute favorites.

Even today, on a rainy Monday morning in June I wear it and snuggle into my jogger at the home office. Although not a big evening but an absolute feel-good factor - Thank you Grand Soir!
Grand Soir - a drama for old and young alike
Armed with my little "Grand Soir" bottling in hand, I waited for evening to come and the play to begin.
Since I have often read how heavy the smell is and that it is especially good for autumn and winter days, I actually managed to wait until 00:00.

1. Exposure: two half spritzes was enough to give me the feeling of pleasant burning warmth on my skin that slowly rises up my neck. It tingles and glows - in the positive sense - and I wonder with my almost 23 years which person would call this smell too strong?! - fascinating smell (5-10 minutes)

2. rising action: Grand Soir knocks me out and drowns me in its warmth as soon as I dare to sniff under my sweater. - Now I understand - This opening is driving me crazy, smothering me and pressing me against a hot wall. It smells briefly like being cooped up with the aunt who always bathes in her intense perfumes - in a small car that is far too warm. Uncertain look to my mom.... "Do you smell it that strong?"
"No I only smell a whiff here, it smells quite good!" (10-15 minutes)

3. Peripetia: I go out into the fresh, cooled air and let the smell pass through my nose there again. Slowly, I notice an enchanting change. The scent becomes softer and softer, the initially pungent note of labdanum becomes lighter and lighter and gradually the heart note pushes itself to the fore. You can't miss the vanilla now either. So that's it, deep breath - the Grand Soir. I feel enveloped and sheltered by this strange scent. Briefly closing my eyes - My memories play with me and I recall a night in Paris. In a good and above all relaxed mood, I sit at the end of the year in a café illuminated with fairy lights. The warm radiant heaters on the ceiling warm me without being too close. The blanket on my legs couldn't be cozier and the slight gust of wind that makes it under the half-screened outdoor area makes me take a deep breath. So here I sit - coffee in hand and a smile on my face - it's like time stands still and all worries are forgotten. Next to me sits my best friend and we have time for us for the first time in a long time and for deep but also funny conversations. I feel good and live in the here and now. Enjoy the darkness of the night and the busy but quiet streets of Paris.

4. retarding moment:
Security, warmth, infinitely cozy clothes - any evening could be like this. The cafe is slowly closing... Laughing we argue about who should pay the bill today and then gradually break up into the night. Tonka bean, vanilla and amber combined leave an unobtrusive yet recognizable smell on my place in the café. The people around us smile benevolently at us, bid us farewell with smiles and the world feels like everything is right. On our way we infect many with our light-hearted mood and our hearty laughter and if we didn't know better - you would think we are already slightly drunk. The lights on the streets show us the irresistible beauty of Paris. Far in the back we can already see the Christmas market and a glowing Ferris wheel. We both look at each other and know "we have to go there for graduation!" With a crepe in one hand and a mulled wine in the other, off we go onto the Ferris wheel. The freedom to perceive our bodies and surroundings with every sense. Harmony.

5. Resolution of the conflict:
Exhausted from all the laughing and running, I fall into my bed. My heart leaps and I am overjoyed to have had such a lovely evening. Gratitude. I smell again the place where I sprayed Grand Soir and I am satisfied. Once again I open the window - inhale the cold winter air and let the day pass in review, then I slip under my covers ready for bed. Never has a bed felt so cozy and fresh at the same time. The fireplace crackles quietly in the room and this morning's brewed tea has left a vanilla scent in the room even into the night. With endorphins in my body and tired eyes, I fall asleep and notice a loving hug the next morning. The scent actually still envelops me and reminds me of the previous evening.
I see it as a renewed invitation of the fragrance - on a journey I would never say no to.
Paris91
From the cold ointment to the amber dream
I didn't want to write a commi about GS, because there are already enough here. But what can I say? Heut has simply caught me...

Actually, he has me last year wrapped around the finger, but I had so my little problems with him. And honestly, I still have them. But only at the beginning!!

Grand Soir starts on my skin already very very balsamic, has a bit of an ointment to rub when you have a cold or muscle pain. Well, it is not quite so blatant, but almost. Labdanum and I are also not really best friends...

But then, after a few minutes BÄÄM! WOW! in your face!
GS evolves within a few minutes into one of the most beautiful scents you can wear in the cold season. Resinous, spicy to sweet and warming. It lulls me to sleep and won't go away even after hours. And it doesn't have to! He may spend the whole night with and on me.

Currently I am, despite the modest weather not so in the mood for my Wummser. Only now and then times to smell the lid is in. But just -as if out of nowhere- I got Grand Soir out of the closet and sprayed once in the air.

I'm sitting here now with little hearts in the eyes and look forward to it now, when I wear it again in the winter.

It is love ♥
PennyPearl
The fat beaver in the castle
I have to say up front that I was aware that I probably wouldn't find this one good or wearable, but I was just curious.

The opening is very heavy and tart, balsamic like an oil.
It makes me think of an old house with heavy antique wooden furniture, of a treasure chest in the attic full of dusty moth-eaten clothes and precious jewellery.
Masculine? My boyfriend probably wouldn't wear the scent, knowing him, he'd probably utter something like, "An overweight woman from 100 years ago, puffing her way up the stairs of her castle" and that's how it comes across to me.
I really have to think of a furry animal (a beaver lost in the castle and taking a nap on the noble carpet).

Gaaaaay omnipotent, eventually, he mellows out, for me he would still be too powerful, dark-hardy, and so he persists for a very long time.
I don't think I would like it on a man either.
Grand Soir is certainly well thought out and designed for the big night, elite and decadent, but for me it is too unwearable for the first few hours.
The tart, sticky note does then dissipate and the base becomes lighter, softer, gentler and beautiful with the tonka bean and amber, but how does one last (at least!) the first two hours, especially the women??

Certainly a fragrance that you have to test more often, but at the moment really one that takes my breath away; and not necessarily in the positive sense.

ZerkaloZerkalo 2 months ago
A warm, luminous and radiant blanket, where night and stars meet the balance of perfection. Mandatory for lovers of amber accord perfumes.
Rubencosta7Rubencosta7 2 months ago
Perfumery at its finest! The fragrance is incredibly rich and dense, for anyone who enjoys ambers, it’s a must have!
10/10
MrKaraMrKara 2 months ago
A nice amber vanille fragrance, perfeclty unisex. Warm, smooth, thick, perfect for the colder days.
RisingChaosRisingChaos 4 months ago
Thick, gooey, warm caramel vanilla goodness. Simple, pleasant, unisex. More like a natural extension of the body than a distinct fragrance.
VivienneKVivienneK 6 months ago
Rather heavy amber with noticeable patchouli in the background, sweet and rich. Can get cloying. Shines in the late - late drydown.
StaticStatic 6 months ago
One of the best blends out there. The Amber & the vanille (suede) are so in balance you’d feel heavenly-gourmand’ish. Very warm catchy !
TOPTOP 6 months ago
I like this scent, it is warm - I smell resin from it and in the end it will remain beautiful vanilla
MariaSMariaS 9 months ago
For me, this perfume is a must have for a man like baccarat rouge for a woman. It’s resinous ambery spicy, simple but elegant!
MissBiscuitsMissBiscuits 9 months ago
The dry down is very similar to Elie Saab’s Le Parfum, an earlier Kurkdjian creation.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 10 months ago
Grand Soir is an alluring amber scent. It's a balmy oriental, resinous, spicy, sweet, soft, woody and with a seductive vanilla.

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Scottie
................. guten  R u t s c h !!  ;)) ...............
by Anarlan
by Kovex
by Narcoperfume
by Narcoperfume
by Entenradio
Le Grand Boar! während viele andere gern kollektiv br540 für des francis masterpiece halten dürfen - bade ich doch lieber ausgiebig in diesem hier! SOIR EY! ;)
by Felsn
by MAKEOUTVILL
by Emorandeira
by Emorandeira

Popular Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Oud Satin Mood (Extrait de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 (Extrait de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud Satin Mood (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumière Noire Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Homme (Extrait de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian masculin Pluriel by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Gentle fluidity (Silver) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Elixir APOM pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian gentle Fluidity (Gold) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Petit Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Vitae Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Celestia Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud Silk Mood (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud Silk Mood (Extrait de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian