Lumière Noire pour Homme (2009)

Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
Bottle Design Fred Rawyler

Lumière Noire pour Homme is a popular perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian for men and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Bulgarian rose, Spices, Indonesian patchouli, Mugwort

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 04.12.2019.

9.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

Rokinidzo
Your nose leads you through the dark
Stand in a dark room, spray in - let there be light! Immediately you will forget everything and fall into thoughts, your imagination brings light into the dark! Thank you Francis! As a man I find this fragrance very successful - even with this great rose. Well-groomed appearance, self-confident, charming and superimposed, that's how it seems to me!

Pretty long lasting! Lumiere noire, as the name suggests - for me only wearable in the evening, the lion leaves the enclosure!
8.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Bewitching Rose Water
Before I begin with the characterization of this really high-quality fragrance - so much is already anticipated - I would like to thank the entire forum and in particular Terra and Schoork, who informed and entertained me through their extensive writing work here in the forum and who brought me to the product series of Maison Francis Kurkdjian through their entries in the first place. I'm just a "newbie" and a little naïve in the fragrance universe. Of course, I would also like to express my thanks to Lenni1985, who sent me bottlings of "Lumière Noire pour homme" and "APOM". The "APOM" will also be evaluated in a few days, but for now it will be the "Lumière Noire pour homme"'s turn.

The rose ... phew. Rose scents and me - that can sometimes be a very difficult constellation. Many rose fragrances are too old-fashioned for me and just don't suit me because I still feel a little too young for them. I noticed that there's another way with Guerlain's extremely great gourmand, the "Homme Ideal" as eau de parfum. Here a rose is present, which is underlined by spice and leather and fortunately also does not jump at one so.
It's a little different with Kurkdjian's creation. The opening is loud, offensive and creates an aha effect. The rose can't be smelled, but instead of being deterred, I wait to see how the fragrance progresses. I'm curious to see what role the cinnamon will play here. Will I also hear the mugwort, a classic aromatic herb? I'm curious.

In any case, the rose does not need to push itself into the foreground, because it is already where it seems it wants to be. Her presence is characterized by an authenticity that will amaze you. I have already said that I don't take too positively too dominant roses, but the naturalness as it appears here inspires me. Yeah, it still all smells a little, let's say, old-fashioned. It smells like a rose water which, according to my personal experiences, is often worn by elderly people. Is that it, then? Does the rose continue to scream at me so loudly without being slowed down by other scent elements? The answer is a clear no. But please continue reading.

After about an hour the cinnamon joins it. At the S- and U-Bahn station "Heidelberger Platz" in Berlin, the place where the Ringbahn and the student line par excellence, the U-Bahn line 3, meet, there is a small snack shop on the upper platform offering various delicacies. One always hears only one note and that is that of the so-called "French rolls", i.e. cinnamon rolls. The whole platform smells like cinnamon and I like to take a breath again and again, because it is not polluted by the usual "Berlin air". The cinnamon note that we find in "Lumière Noire pour homme", on the other hand, is much more subtle, so that our beloved rose remains the centre of attention. Here, too, the cinnamon is staged in an incredibly authentic way, but without jumping into the foreground, as on the platform I mentioned earlier. It has a contrasting effect, whereby the once slightly sticky rose water "dries out" a little, if not becomes even dustier.
And then there's the mugwort. As if he were already feeling disadvantaged next to the rose and the cinnamon, he gently pats the cinnamon on the shoulder to ask if he could help it to grab the messed-up rose and bring it to raison d'être. They both courageously try to hold on to the thorny plant, but they may not succeed. The rose is too strong, too dominant and omnipresent. This does not mean, however, that cinnamon, mugwort and patchouli - the latter we do not want to forget - are ineffective. The cinnamon is able to add a certain spice to the whole composition, while the mugwort and patchouli ground it and give it a very light green colour that can be perceived with a more precise smell. This results in a wealth of facets in which I am always wondering whether "Lumière Noire pour homme" suits me. Sometimes we have a rose that suppresses everything around it and with which I only want to have something to do for a short time and that only because I like its authenticity so much. Then exactly this rose is underlaid with a discreet spice, typical of cinnamon, while only a little later it is slightly earthy-green. In fact, it also happens that Rose, Spice and the Earthy come together a little later but separate again and from then on come out alternately before they possibly meet again sometime. It seems to depend very much on the skin how the fragrance develops. Maybe it's skin-typical that I don't hear cumin. Who knows ...

We can therefore state that the fragrance process does not really come to an end. "Lumière Noire pour homme" can shine with an enormous versatility that the wearer can admire for more than ten hours without any problems. The Sillage is just right for such a fragrance. Two sprays are enough to make his environment happy, but not to disturb it. It should be considered, however, that this fragrance is rather something for autumn or spring. It should not be too warm in my eyes, otherwise the rose could become a little too penetrating even for rose lovers.

With "Lumière Noire pour homme", Maison Francis Kurkdjian has created a fragrance that even demands recognition from me as a Rosenskeptiker. The quality of this mystical rose water with its enormous power of transformation is simply grandiose. I have noticed for myself that the scent does not quite suit me, but this circumstance should not diminish my evaluation at all. I will try it out a few more times and maybe in a while I will find out that we both fit together. Until then, I will test more offshoots of Kurkdjians. The "APOM" is already waiting in the drawer and is literally crying out to be tested. But this should be done in peace and quiet, because one does not want to overtax one's nose and thus distort one's own judgement, but from today on it is a fact that I am fixed by Kurkdjian's fragrance series and that many a bottling will still move in with me.

8.0 6.0 5.0 8.5/10

Snow White
Fine, soft starting. Slowly gaining strength without becoming pushy. Body odour rose which meanders and shines exactly at the border between warm and cold, sweet and sour. Great cinema. Dark spicy notes (mugwort?, cumin, patchouli) against and with a steamed, dark red rose. I'm beginning to understand the name of this fragrance.

In a way it is dark red to ebony black, but at the same time it warms like sunlight. He could also be called Snow White. White as snow, red as blood and black as ebony. Ok, just a male Snow White ;)

I can hardly imagine wearing this fragrance at a time other than in the evening - this dark light needs the twilight to be visible to be felt. Yeah, sunshine works, too, but it's easy to overheat. Maybe on an autumn or winter afternoon, when you are longing for a warmth that has been swallowed up by the darkness outside for a long time.

Unfortunately, the shelf life on my skin is rather low, after two hours the fragrance starts to dissolve in rose powder, soon afterwards it can only be perceived very closely. I will test this several times and adjust my rating if necessary. Too bad. It should have been a little more
9.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Micscent
(1) A dozen roses for the man (1/12)
As a newcomer here, I'm going to try a series of comments. I hope they please.

The motivation, the idea and the criteria:
I'm a real fan of the scent of roses (in my youth my mother had Paris from YSL. I found "the hammer") But the rose isn't exactly the one you first come across as part of a men's fragrance. Nevertheless, I think the rose is contained in more and more men's fragrances.
According to the following criteria I / I will therefore have selected 12 of these fragrances and will comment and compare them bit by bit:
- Men fragrance (exception Desert Rose from Urban Scent as unisex fragrance, I simply had to add)
- Rose as heart note (exception: Much ado about the Duke by Penhaligon, idea originated in London)
- Published from the year 2000
- Rating of at least 6.0 with at least 40 ratings
- No Oud (not so mine)

Getting started: (1) Lumière Noir pour homme by the Maison Francis Kurkdjian

The house, the perfumer and the shop:
Francis Kurkdjian (*1969) grew up in a suburb in the east of Paris. He received training in dance and classical piano, but then decided to become a perfumer. In 1993, he completed his training at ISIPCA, one of the most recognized perfume schools in the world. Shortly afterwards (at the age of 25 (!) he created his first fragrance, Le Male, by Jean Paul Gaultier, one of the best-selling men's fragrances in the world (also an essential fragrance of my youth, I found enormously erotic). Since then, Francis Kurkdjian has created over 40 fragrances for renowned brands such as Escada, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Versace and Giorgio Armani. Finally he founded his own perfume house "Maison Francis Kurkdjian" in 2009 (together with Marc Chaya). The house wants to bring out "enchanting" yet "precise" creations ("codes"). According to his own statement, the focus is on "purity, refinement, timelessness and the audacity of a newly invented classicism". Lumière Noir pour Homme (* 2009) I first got as a sample in the "perfumery of my trust" (a big thank you to "love")

The fragrance, the ingredients and the experience:
Lumière Notre pour Homme starts with a clear rose. The mugwort probably gives the rose a stronger, slightly green tone. Mugwort is cultivated for the perfume industry above all in Morocco, Algeria, France and the regions of the former Yugoslavia (otherwise the common mugwort is used as a spice plant for fatty, heavy meat dishes (!). The oil is obtained from the dried whole cabbage and is then called "Essence d'Armoise". The Essence d'Armoise is combined with cumin (or cumin). The oil is obtained from the dried and ground seeds of the small plant that is native to Mediterranean countries, China and India. Cumin is a note that is used in many men's fragrances and, in my opinion, is responsible for the intensification of the rose and the further development of the warm basic tone of the fragrance. Without anticipating too much, it should be noted that cumin will also be encountered in Déclaration d'un Soir, where "a dozen roses for men" are combined with cardamom. Francis Kurkdian combines cumin in Absolue pour le Soir with musk to create an intense fragrance experience. After this first impression, a soft patchouli takes the lead in the overall impression. This patchouli is earthy and above all balsamic and velvety, rather not woody as usual. From my point of view, not sweet at all. Patchouli is a very cutting component of fragrances: As an essential oil extracted from the initially dried leaves, it is used as a fixer and ensures long-lasting adhesion and thus effect. After about an hour at the latest, a delicate, harmoniously soft rose/patchouli combination unfolds completely. Even over 10 hours after spraying, this wonderful combination remains unchanged. In addition, there is the further developed Essence d'Armoise with a very light note of black tea. I cannot personally perceive the cinnamon directly, but if necessary it underlines the warmth of the scent. The whole thing is in any case incredibly noble and soft, but also a bit feminine.

The conclusion, the comparison and the practical application:
Not only because I wanted to test here, I constantly smelled on my wrist all day long. Perhaps not suitable for every occasion and also not everyone's thing, but noble, round and simply well done. I can understand the high rating of 8.4 at almost 500 ratings very well and give an 8, and that only because for my practice use a little too feminine for a pure men's fragrance.

(1) Lumière Noir pour Homme - The noble softie

P.S. The final fragrances for "a dozen roses for men" have not yet been finalized. I would be happy to receive tips and suggestions.
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

The meaning of balance
Lumière Noire pour homme from Kurkdjian's empire is one of the most paradoxical, yet the most balanced perfume I have ever met. Once it opens with the very sparkling floral notes, it starts murmuring the dark spell of the woods and spices under your nose. To me the most attractive thing is that all the notes are presented together, and they construct a very lovely scent which is not only extremely captivating but also unforgettable. Moreover, in this perfume rose is the best supporting actress who plays a very crucial and sensual role, fading in and out all through this movie. As the name suggests, where ever you have the light you will have shadows as well. To me, this perfume is much like a philosophy talking about proportionality. Lumiere noire shows you the lights and the shadows (patchouli) made by those lights in a remarkable artistic way. Literally, all the notes used in this perfume are in their most balanced shaped, especially Cinnamon and cumin which are used commonly for exaggerations in lots of perfumes. Lumiere Noire is the old play of the shadows on the curtain. Give it a try.
5.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

MasterLi
A perfect play between Dark and Light...
Starts out with a clean, soapy, delicate rose, then descends into earthy fougère territory (courtesy of the dark patchouli accord). Like something which can be savage and delicate at the same time. A rose fougère if ever there was one!

Incredibly nice, and proof that Francis Kurkdjian is an incredibly talented man!

Simple, delicate and brilliant.

~ Lovely Lumiere ~
~ "Lovely" isn't a description you typically start a Man's fragrance review with but that fits perfectly with Lumiere Noire! After recently revisiting this MFK I must say I will never be without it again. The rose and patchouli come together in a perfect marriage of notes. This is so soft and sensual it could easily be described as unisex much like coromandel in reverse. The light sexy rose just flirts with your nose and draws it down to your wrist at will like a fine glass of wine your testing for the very first time. And when the light dusty cinnamon comes into play the notes all blend to evoke a feeling of warmth and romance. This lovely will never leave my top shelf again that is exactly where this masterpiece belongs. ~
Kind Regards, Pt1

Score ~ Perfection
7.5 5.0 10.0 9.0/10

Drseid
By Far The Best From The House Of MFK...
Beautiful scent. I went into this one with very low expectations due to my utter disappointment with APOM pour Homme... I will have to reevaluate my expectations with MFK after this one...

Rose and patchouli, mix with a decent spicy dose of cinnamon and nutmeg to my nose (this could possibly be the cumin, which for once did not bother me at all). This blends perfectly later-on with a nice soapy, classy base that has a bit of amber and musk in it. It works quite well. Projection is average, with superb longevity. This masterpiece is an absolute winner and definitely full bottle worthy. 4.5 stars out of 5.

walk it back
Let’s go in reverse, because I’d like to end on a positive note. Lumière Noire pour Homme winds up a tidy, sweet musky rose. If you like it, you’ll recognize that it comes from thoughtfully designed succinctness. If you don’t, it’s a bit matter-of-fact. I won’t say that this fragrance loses steam or loses track, but it loses me. To Francis Kurkdjian’s credit, the ride from the beginning to the end is wonderfully designed, and like a well worded short sentence. One idea, clearly stated, perfectly understood. It’s just that everything I love about this fragrance is up front and fades by the quick-to-arrive drydown.

But, oh, that beginning. There are countless patchouli roses out there. This ain’t like any of them. The rose smells like wine, the patchouli smells mineral, and the cumin smells like cumin. This cumin is not a replacement for animal-based ingredients. Not that pouty-growl, wanna-be animalic cumin. It smells like freshly ground roasted seeds and perfectly inflects the rose/patchouli pairing. The three pieces together feel like hot, dusty sandpaper, and smell like temptation. I smell this opening and think, this could be a solution to the chypre/oakmoss dilemma that’s haunting us. This accord is that good.

I just wish I could run LNpH in reverse. But unfulfilled expectation is classic disappointment.

To hell with my disappointment. Thumbs up for that opening accord.

Lumiere & Noir
Lumiere Noir... light and dark. Two elements in a universe at war, until they ultimately fuse into one another. Dark matter and a blood-red rose share the same molecular body, known as "Noir." A transformation that reveals a far more crimson floral, leaving a dusty trail of cumin and cinnamon. Narcissus, identified as "Lumiere" acts as a halo, keeping light and dark sophisticatedly in equilibrium.
10.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Lumière Noire pour homme
Rose, patchouli and spice.

If one enjoys L'Artisan Parfumeur's Voleur de Roses then this will be a delight.

Where VdR is heavy on the earthy patchouli, a 50/50 presence with the rose.
The patchouli in LNpH is slightly restrained by the rose and spices.

What you smell is a dominant rose dipped in oil consisting of patchouli and spice.

Longevity is good but projection (to my nose) is a bit below average.

Nothing, though, that cannot be remedied with more sprays.

Carlitos01 42 days ago
It's very floral (one of the best roses I tried) as well spicy and herbal, making it difficult for me not to assume it as unisex. Very good!+4
MRoth 3 years ago
Does indeed feature mugwort - a musty, fusty herb. Always a joy to encounter a rarely-used note, and in Lumiere Noire, expertly blended.+2
5.0
6.0

Are you still looking for things that no-one else can see? - Coil & Ceranfeld
by EveMist
by Gaukeleya
by Gaukeleya
by Rfactor84
by Rfactor84
Mein Start in die Nische. ;)
by TomDuft
by Zielkomat
by Delidervis
by Delidervis

Popular Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud Satin Mood (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian masculin Pluriel by Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis (Eau de Toilette) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Cologne Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Vitae Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 (Extrait de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue Pour Le Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Petit Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian féminin Pluriel (Eau de Parfum) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Celestia by Maison Francis Kurkdjian