Replica - At the Barber's 2014

Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela
Replica - At the Barber's is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for men and was released in 2014. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Louise Turner

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orangeBitter orange BasilBasil Black pepperBlack pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeraniumGeranium LavenderLavender RosemaryRosemary
Base Notes Base NotesTonka beanTonka bean White muskWhite musk EvernylEvernyl

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 19.09.2022.

3 in-depth fragrance descriptions
100% BARBERSHOP.
Dear friends of shaving foam,

so here now my review of the second fragrance of Maison Margiela. This is to bring me according to the concept of these fragrances olfactory in the barbershop. After this Jazzclub has not succeeded, I can already anticipate: More barbershop does not go. The fragrance can be called namely quite simply as a barbershop in purest form, should your barber bring you with proper shaving cream again in shot.
Let's get to the scents in detail: At the Barbers starts neatly spicy with a strong note of black pepper, which after a few minutes makes room for basil, later also for the rosemary. Lavender is the most dominant note from start to finish, although it has to be said that it generally comes across as more restrained. The fragrance twin Platinum Egoiste cited here comes here sharper and generally also metallic therefore, so that both come from the same fragrance family, but for me are clearly not twins.
In the drydown, we have 1:1 shaving cream with At the Barbers. I think there are few scents that can be so easily compared to one product, but Maison Margiela's creation here simply wanted to be authentic and it succeeded.
The greatest strength of At the Barbers is for me at the same time but also the greatest weakness: The fragrance smells really good after shaving cream, but nothing more, if we exclude the spicy prelude times. I like that so quite well and shows that the fragrance creates olfactory exactly what he should create, but for me it is still a little too monotonous, as I would have to buy the fragrance.
With the objection that shaving cream is much cheaper, has the one or other Parfumo of course completely right, unfortunately, this holds in terms of H / S not so good with.
I therefore got me a big can of shaving cream and wear the foam now the whole day generously applied in the face with me around. This not only ensures the same fragrance experience, no, this sets a trend for the shaving cream man of the world!
Seriously, At the Barbers Sillage is slightly above average, but so also keeps very long constant. One takes the fragrance clearly further away from the skin was and that up to eight hours before it becomes really skin. The fragrance held on my skin the first time 10 hours, in another test even 12 hours - so there's nothing to complain.
The bottles I could unfortunately not yet hold in the hand, but these look great in photos and videos. If the spray head now also sits reasonably and sprays, make the already really what here.
In general, I like in this direction smelling Platinum Egoiste by the sharpness and metallic notes a little better, if I would put the emphasis on herbaceous notes, I have to look at the Beau de Jour by Tom Ford again a little closer. If you just want an authentic shaving cream scent that comes across as clearly masculine, but still doesn't smother or olfactorically overwhelm your counterpart, you might find what you're looking for here. Above all, the durability is a clear plus, otherwise I can of course recommend the shaving foam in the face!

As always, thank you for reading!
DonCologne
Like brushing your teeth at the barber
First of all: I've been reading this beautiful forum for a very long time now and have been able to draw so much inspiration and good things from the many reviews here. Time to celebrate my "debut" to give the community what back and to write my first review.

It has already been mentioned here many times that the guys and gals of the replica marketing department have done a good job. Different situations of life in a concrete fragrance to capture is m.E. a good idea and has definitely been able to attract my attention, especially with regard to this fragrance or even the all too familiar Jazz Club. Nevertheless, a slightly bland aftertaste remains with me, whether I actually want to smell like a "specific situation" or a "specific place"...but I do not want to drift...

About the scent: job done! If you buy At the Barber's hoping to get a shaving scent/fougère, you shouldn't be disappointed at first. The first time I smelled immediately Drakkar Noir came to mind, only more modern and perhaps deprived of its, on some possibly old-fashioned corners and edges. When repeatedly testing the comparison to Drakkar Noir wanted to adjust less and less, which is to be evaluated in the sense of independence quite positive. Personally, the scent immediately reminds me, in addition to the clear shaving notes, of toothpaste or the smell as a child, when I came into the bathroom, my father had shaved, brushed his teeth and rinsed his mouth with Odol mouthwash and there was still a good gush of mint / menthol in the air. That's why I'm a bit surprised that nothing like that is listed here in the notes. While the mint present in many fresh fragrances in the top note quickly fades, I perceive this throughout until the scent fades.

Entry into my collection At the Barber's will probably still not hold. For me, it is, despite generous application, from the beginning extremely close to the body and was of my fellow men, if then rather subtly and not really perceivable as a perfume. The durability is about 4-6 hours for me, while the sillage is almost non-existent. Despite everything, I must admit there was, fresh after application of course, already a compliment for the fragrance. The fragrance is, in my opinion, well wearable by all my gender comrades (because male it definitely is) from the age of first bar growth and up. This one doesn't clash anywhere, doesn't bother anyone, and has a pleasant freshness and mild spiciness. Definitely see this in casual wear or very good in the office and won't look bad in sports either. For dates or evening events, he is me too little distinctive, not really sexy and too light.

So who has nothing against fragrances of the older school, can (rather) times Azzaro pour Homme, Drakkar Noir or if you still get him YSL's Rive Gauche try and if it may be more modern perhaps the MFK- Masculin Pluriel or maybe Chanels Platinum Égoiste.

I hope that helps the or others a little further.
Time machine
First and foremost, the fragrance should always play the biggest role and actually it would be good if perfume manufacturers keep the bottle as cheap as possible as well as the packaging. That would make this hobby significantly cheaper. However, the Replica range has shown me that the whole shebang can give me a lot of pleasure!

For the first time I smelled At the Barbers, however, as a sample and even there he has convinced me totally. Fresh, spicy, soft, masculine, nostalgic, just beautiful! I could imagine it having a place in my collection forever. I love smelling it so incredibly much because it always brings to mind the impression of a freshly shaved face, which is usually associated with a fresh shower and nice aftershave. That energy that is triggered in me after a shower like that, that sense of optimism, I'm ready to go.... Let's go! Simply wonderful!

The bitter orange and the pepper at the beginning have an invigorating effect and conjure up a smile on my face every time. Everything that comes after makes the fragrance softer, less bitter and yet it remains all the time floral, masculine and fresh.

The overall package around this scent, makes it even better for me. The marketing department has done a great job here. You immediately feel teleported to a barbershop where you can smell soap, leather razor cloths, great oils and creams. This scent projects a complete image in my brain every time I wear it, and I feel transported to times when I wasn't even planning to be. The bottle picks up where the marketing department left off. That little rope wrapped around the neck of the bottle, which is made of real glass and has a very nice fabric label on it, is not only beautiful to me, but continues to immerse me in that time. Where products were still made to last and not everything was made of some bad plastic. Where people still took time for themselves, to visit their barbershop, to meet friends and to talk to them... The whole time wasn't as hectic and fast paced as it is today. That may be why I like this fragrance so much. It slows me down and lets me come down a bit and most importantly it puts these incredibly beautiful thoughts in my head, which is something I've rarely had with a fragrance before.

I've tested the entire Replica range and wasn't as convinced by any of them as I was by At the Barbers. ( A pity actually, because the flacons would make themselves all together well in my display case )
The durability is good. On the skin it accompanies me solid 4-5 hours and on my clothes it lasts much longer. I do not know how he arrives at the opposite sex and whether he brings compliments, but that is me with this fragrance so of no matter, because I'm with the thoughts anyway somewhere else before I'm lifted by a car and wake up again in the smog and noise of today....

A very "important" fragrance in my collection.

- Roadrunner

Clean Niche
Off the sprayer, Replica: At the Barber's smells clean. Very clean.

Scent-wise, it is an amalgamation of the most inoffensive notes of common masculine hair care products rounded off with a note of geranium for a creamy accord.

Longevity is 6 - 8 hours, depending on your sprays; warmer - hot climate definitely helps. As for projection, it is not dense enough to project through a sweatshirt, jacket, or winter coat; let's say arms-length while dressed for warm weather.

At the Barber's is so inoffensive, its lack of offense is often the basis of the most neutral and negative reviews who ultimately complain about the price tag. Meanwhile, they seem to forget one important factor: this is a niche fragrance.

Looking for a fragrance that stands up to warmer weather, but not offensive enough to have delicate noses turning away? Then give Maison Martin Margiela's Replica: At the Barber's a sample.

"But, but, but it smells like something cheaper and off a retail counter." Maybe, but it sure as heck doesn't perform like something cheap. This isn't something devised by accountants to be the next panty-dropping, club-banging, sillage monster meant to have the ladies at the office dropping to their knees. There are many other fragrances that serve that purpose.
Does something...
When I opened the wonderful hiking package the other day I could not imagine that I could test this amount of fragrances in a few days.
So I started right away and little by little I realized that I must have a slightly eccentric taste, because the various fragrances were simply too boring for me or they fell into the category of sweet feminine.
So I searched for masculine scents and I also found them. But also here I found nothing unusually exciting at the beginning.....until "At the Barber's".

The smell is different.... strong, masculine, clean and definitely different from the boring designer waters, which, in my opinion, are mostly somehow the same.
The association with a hairdressing salon or barbershop comes immediately to mind...but this is not meant to be derogatory. On the contrary...you have a perfectly groomed "man" in front of your inner eye. And not a suit and tie...as I like to call the gentlemen who think that a suit and a tie make a real man.
Can work... but doesn't have to Here the emphasis is on groomed, shaved, self-confident.
That's why At the Barber's is certainly not suitable for all ages. A certain maturity should already bring along the man ...;-)
For me an absolutely successful composition. Just something special.... and despite some objections here at the comments, still contemporary, although vintage. For me, this fragrance has nothing to do with Grandpa. There are mustier candidates, even for extremely expensive money and with melodious names.

2 short views on the fragrance
SaradoninSaradonin 7 months ago
Canned shaving foam and a floor cleaning bucket.
KingPinKingPin 4 years ago
Quite nice realistic barbershop opening, but quickly turns into a bland, boring musky thing.

Images

11 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Maison Margiela

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela Replica - Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela (untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Coffee Break by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Autumn Vibes by Maison Margiela Replica - Springtime in a Park by Maison Margiela