Replica - At the Barber's (2014)

Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela

Replica - At the Barber's is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for men and was released in 2014. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Louise Turner

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange, Basil, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Lavender, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, White musk, Evernyl

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 02.06.2020.

2,50€ drugstore shaving foam
As a young teenager I was blessed at an early age with proper beard growth. My grandfather introduced me to the ritual of beard shaving and explained all the necessary utensils to me. For this reason I know the barber industry and its products VERY well.

If you take it seriously, shaving the man is something of a ritual. Unless I'm in a hurry, I always whip up the lather with shaving soap and badger hair brush. If the technique is done correctly, you get a lather consistency that is many times better than from any can foam. Nevertheless, I also have some cheap can foam in the cupboard, just in case you need it quickly.

Let's get to the scent. Here I am a little irritated, because after I smelled the fragrance, I was overcome by the feeling that many people here have lost their imagination when evaluating and describing this fragrance. When I review absolutely every shaving soap I have ever had, At the Barber's smells by and large like a €2.50 Palmolive canned shaving foam from the drugstore back shelf at the bottom left. Where one is supposed to smell leather here, for example, is not quite clear to me.

To sum it up honestly and cleanly, the fragrance smells like a mixture of oldschool aftershave lotion, but not quite as harsh and inexpensive canned shaving foam. Of course not so clumsy and a little more filigree dazzled, but in the overall picture not more and not less. Stylistically the Papa +50 is after shaving in the nineties with a slightly better after shave. For younger people completely unbearable. Although not quite as exaggerated oldschool as other fragrances, but still far from being contemporary enough.

As a short info, maybe just as a side note. The typical barbershop products are expensive and mostly completely overrated. They smell of a completely past very strict fragrance style. Who once a
Test, a clubman Pinaud After Shave, for example, buys himself a Clubman Pinaud After Shave, which is very much in demand on the old school track. Afterwards your girlfriend or wife asks what she thinks about it. Most people will scare you away and say that it's old or smells like grandpa. And the same is true of most barbershop scents. I'm a big critic of Bleu de Chanel or Dior Homme 2020 and I don't wear them, but I have to admit that this fragrance style is the actually correctly interpreted barbershop style of our time.
Barbershop Fragrance
Unique great barbershop perfume. The bitter orange and lavender come out very nicely. Definitely a fragrance that you can wear at any time of the year and on any occasion. Not at all intrusive or loud. Has something of a cleaner scent (a la Prada) but definitely less mainstream than Prada.
I feel transported back
I may have been around 8-10 years old and was allowed to help in my grandparents' hairdressing salon. It was the big leather chairs in the men's salon, yes, the ones with the neck rest as well as the strops that are still omnipresent and present in my thoughts today.

The ladies' and gentlemen's salons were meticulously separated; one entrance door for each sex.
The razor was pulled off and the beard was soaped and clean-shaven, mostly also the hair was cut. The ladies' area did not arouse my interest so much, it was the routine with which my grandfather sharpened the razors for the next shave that captivated me.

Now, a little more than 40 years later, thanks to the at the Barbers, I feel transported back to that time.
When I put the scent on I have the unmistakable smell of shaving soap in my nose and I wish it would not go away.

The lavender gives me a feeling of purity and cleanliness. Someone once wrote - as if wearing a fresh, white shirt.
The prelude is ingenious and striking. It lives up to the name.

Unfortunately, and this is the only criticism, he can't keep up this for me, brilliant prelude and flattens clearly.

Nevertheless, a fragrance that is an integral part of my collection.
Shaving Foam Deluxe
In the morning in the bathroom, the sun is shining through the window, the morning program is playing quietly on the radio. It is warm in the bathroom and a towel loosely wrapped around your hips is enough to keep you warm. Hot water runs into the sink and creates a steamy atmosphere, the wet shaver is ready for use and next to it is a large green can of shaving foam. I spray the foam generously into my hand and start soaping my beard. While doing so I deeply breathe in the unmistakable scent of a refreshing and at the same time relaxing shave ...

That's roughly how I feel about the fragrance At the Barber's. My association probably comes from the fact that I have never been to a barbershop and therefore only know the ritual of wet shaving from the bathroom at home. I got the fragrance as a free sample and now after two days of testing I want to share my impressions.

The course starts spicy fresh with herbs and lavender, the bitter orange I smell less. But after a short time this typical oakmoss tonka scent is added and in this condition it stays with me. What bothers me a little is a slightly creamy note that seems a little artificial and in my opinion could possibly come from the tonka bean. I only smell this note when I sniff directly on the skin, but unfortunately this is enough to make At the Barber's disappear as a candidate for purchase for me.
For me it has somehow a similarity with the drydown of Azzaro pour homme, only without the aniseed note.

Durability was super about 8-10 hours a breeze wet shave blew me again and again around the ears. Sillage was moderately close rather than room filling.

I can only judge flacon design from the pictures, because I only had one sample tube, but it looks quite good in principle. Therefore I can unfortunately not say anything about the quality of the spray head and the haptics.

To sum up, for me a beautiful pleasant fragrance. Unfortunately one point deduction because of the cream note which I do not like completely but otherwise really great
It was definitely worth a test :)

Conan the Barber

Wow - what a brilliant prelude one is offered here. The barber's tool flashes here with precise sharpness as if fresh from a string, thanks to the congenial combination of lavender and oakmoss plus some basil, and immediately conveys the desired atmosphere of a nostalgic shaving salon.

The illusion is almost perfect, although one must admit that "At the Barbers", with the use of Evernyl oakmoss substitute and the peppery, spicy top note, represents a more modern version of the Barbershop.

The whole thing is masculine and above all extremely soapy and sensual, so that you feel good at the same time, but also full of energy and zest for action. Interestingly, the freshness here is not cool and cutting, but rather warm and gentle - even if it sounds contradictory at first.

However, the high level and benevolent sharpness cannot be consistently maintained right from the start. After some time, the scent dulls a little and you get the impression that a few woodruff molecules have gotten lost, which could most probably originate from the use of coumarin. Actually even leather is supposed to be included, which is supposed to symbolize the so called stropping strap, but unfortunately there is almost nothing to see.

Nevertheless, "At the Barbers" remains a harmoniously modern barbershop fragrance with a brilliant foamy top note between fresh, spicy, sweet, fougère and soapy. Even one of my colleagues spoke to me about what I had sprayed on. In this case, a colleague would probably have been more effective, but I think I might have been able to generate a new customer for Replicas Barbershop.
Very tidy here, master!
Maison Margiela is a Parisian fashion house only 30 years old, which seems to me to be more oriented towards haute couture and piggybacking than the (comparatively!) down-to-earth Santa Eulalia. The founder, Mr Margiela, was Belgian.

This house has also bought itself a fragrance program (which is how it should be), a few individual fragrances ("Mutiny" and "untitled" as far as I can see) and then a series called "Replica" from about a dozen EdTs and a few EdPs. "Replica" does not mean, contrary to what I first thought and contrary to what at least some of the labels (this one for example) suggest, that old scent recipes are dug up and revived (like Anglia Perfumery), but only that certain ideas of situations, moments, environments (like e.g. "lipstick", "campfire" or even "barber") are implemented in scent technology. An idea that, by the way, I don't find quite so original now. The price is not exaggerated unlike that for the clothes of the house and is thus around 100 euros per 100 ml. It is also worth mentioning that there are two "filter" fragrances to the series, "Blur" and "Glow". "Blur" should, if applied additionally, soften every fragrance in the series, "Glow" should, on the contrary, spice up, i.e. make it brighter and brighter. A kind of pre-structured layering. Wouldn't be for me, but maybe someone would.

At the Barber's implements the fragrance idea of a barber's hairdresser suitably and in a very pleasant, friendly and unobtrusive way. I can't provide a detailed analysis, the fragrance is too homogeneous for that, but the spicy, fresh, soapy and somewhat warm notes that are commonly associated with "Barbershop" are all there. Associations such as leather straps for pulling off the razor, pots with shaving foam, powder puffs perhaps, fit into this scent picture without any compulsion.

The scent is (differently than occasionally noted here) very durable, after 8 hours a complex soap-fresh scent can still be perceived very close, and after almost 14 hours, extremely skinny but then, I still feel very fine, very pleasant tonka bean (you can always bait me there). The Sillage, on the other hand, is absolutely moderate; again a fragrance with a pressure relief valve, you can bathe in it and still not bother your fellow men.

At the Barber's isn't a sweet scent from my point of view, not even in the base. It is only suitable, as is appropriate for a fragrance of this genre, for a delicate, spicily integrated warmth, which at best plays over a little into the sweetness. And in the first three hours I always take a slight stink note which I cannot assign to any of the ingredients, I would have suspected something like coriander herb, but find none. But this note is only just strong enough to make the fragrance more interesting and less smooth, it never turns into a really unpleasant one.

And this is perhaps also the strength and weakness of the fragrance: This barbershop is very friendly and tidy, bright and by the way also very modern (although of course with traditional soaps, creams, hair lotions and the like more equipped, and also a few vintage offset pieces from the flea market stand around). It's a really nice scent! But maybe a little bit too smooth and syllabic to really fall in love with him. After wearing it for two days now, I give myself my good old "Windsor" from the Czech drugstore supplier ALPA for comparison tomorrow; I almost think this hairdresser smells just as classic, but has more heart and is of real shot and grain. And there's the haircut at pre-war prices.

Itchynose
Step inside a traditional barbershop
The beautifully blended notes in At The Barber's –classic lavender, aniseed-like basil, white musk– manage to recreate a very specific moment: that first step inside an old style barbershop when the smell of countless colognes and freshly cut hair hits your nostrils; an evocative scent conjuring up images of vintage bars of soap, medicinal camphor, lotions, balms, herbal hair tonics, mentholated after shaves and traditional remedies in old glass bottles.

At The Barber's is one of the most accomplished scents in Margiela's Replica line; a clean and spicy retro fragrance to wear and admire, practically a work of art.

Just a quick trim
The opening is superb. A beautifully rich mixture of shaving cream, soap and lavender evokes in a very realistic way the experience of shaving etc. one might associate with a traditional barber shop. Unlike a barbershop quartet, if I may mix metaphors a little, this fragrance has no depth. The clean smelling soapiness fades far too quickly becoming a generic tonka and musk base. This is decent, but not remarkable. Rive Gauche is still the top-dog.

KingPinKingPin 15 months ago
Quite nice realistic barbershop opening, but quickly turns into a bland, boring musky thing.

maison margiela - replica - at the barber’s: der traditionsreiche mit gegerbtem leder überbezogene frisierstuhl wurde mal eben vorab liebevoll gleich mit eingeseift - setz dich - bist dran!
by Felsn
by Golcher
by Golcher
by RobK
by RobK

Popular Maison Margiela

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela (untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Replica - Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Promenade in the Gardens by Maison Margiela Replica - Flower Market by Maison Margiela