Replica - At the Barber's 2014

Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela
Replica - At the Barber's is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for men and was released in 2014. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

Louise Turner

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange, Basil, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Lavender, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, White musk, Evernyl

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 23.11.2020.

Clean Niche
Off the sprayer, Replica: At the Barber's smells clean. Very clean.

Scent-wise, it is an amalgamation of the most inoffensive notes of common masculine hair care products rounded off with a note of geranium for a creamy accord.

Longevity is 6 - 8 hours, depending on your sprays; warmer - hot climate definitely helps. As for projection, it is not dense enough to project through a sweatshirt, jacket, or winter coat; let's say arms-length while dressed for warm weather.

At the Barber's is so inoffensive, its lack of offense is often the basis of the most neutral and negative reviews who ultimately complain about the price tag. Meanwhile, they seem to forget one important factor: this is a niche fragrance.

Looking for a fragrance that stands up to warmer weather, but not offensive enough to have delicate noses turning away? Then give Maison Martin Margiela's Replica: At the Barber's a sample.

"But, but, but it smells like something cheaper and off a retail counter." Maybe, but it sure as heck doesn't perform like something cheap. This isn't something devised by accountants to be the next panty-dropping, club-banging, sillage monster meant to have the ladies at the office dropping to their knees. There are many other fragrances that serve that purpose.
Does something...
When I opened the wonderful hiking package the other day I could not imagine that I could test this amount of fragrances in a few days.
So I started right away and little by little I realized that I must have a slightly eccentric taste, because the various fragrances were simply too boring for me or they fell into the category of sweet feminine.
So I searched for masculine scents and I also found them. But also here I found nothing unusually exciting at the beginning.....until "At the Barber's".

The smell is different.... strong, masculine, clean and definitely different from the boring designer waters, which, in my opinion, are mostly somehow the same.
The association with a hairdressing salon or barbershop comes immediately to mind...but this is not meant to be derogatory. On the contrary...you have a perfectly groomed "man" in front of your inner eye. And not a suit and tie...as I like to call the gentlemen who think that a suit and a tie make a real man.
Can work... but doesn't have to Here the emphasis is on groomed, shaved, self-confident.
That's why At the Barber's is certainly not suitable for all ages. A certain maturity should already bring along the man ...;-)
For me an absolutely successful composition. Just something special.... and despite some objections here at the comments, still contemporary, although vintage. For me, this fragrance has nothing to do with Grandpa. There are mustier candidates, even for extremely expensive money and with melodious names.
Barbershop Fragrance
Unique great barbershop perfume. The bitter orange and lavender come out very nicely. Definitely a fragrance that you can wear at any time of the year and on any occasion. Not at all intrusive or loud. Has something of a cleaner scent (a la Prada) but definitely less mainstream than Prada.
I feel transported back
I may have been around 8-10 years old and was allowed to help in my grandparents' hairdressing salon. It was the big leather chairs in the men's salon, yes, the ones with the neck rest as well as the strops that are still omnipresent and present in my thoughts today.

The ladies' and gentlemen's salons were meticulously separated; one entrance door for each sex.
The razor was pulled off and the beard was soaped and clean-shaven, mostly also the hair was cut. The ladies' area did not arouse my interest so much, it was the routine with which my grandfather sharpened the razors for the next shave that captivated me.

Now, a little more than 40 years later, thanks to the at the Barbers, I feel transported back to that time.
When I put the scent on I have the unmistakable smell of shaving soap in my nose and I wish it would not go away.

The lavender gives me a feeling of purity and cleanliness. Someone once wrote - as if wearing a fresh, white shirt.
The prelude is ingenious and striking. It lives up to the name.

Unfortunately, and this is the only criticism, he can't keep up this for me, brilliant prelude and flattens clearly.

Nevertheless, a fragrance that is an integral part of my collection.
Shaving Foam Deluxe
In the morning in the bathroom, the sun is shining through the window, the morning program is playing quietly on the radio. It is warm in the bathroom and a towel loosely wrapped around your hips is enough to keep you warm. Hot water runs into the sink and creates a steamy atmosphere, the wet shaver is ready for use and next to it is a large green can of shaving foam. I spray the foam generously into my hand and start soaping my beard. While doing so I deeply breathe in the unmistakable scent of a refreshing and at the same time relaxing shave ...

That's roughly how I feel about the fragrance At the Barber's. My association probably comes from the fact that I have never been to a barbershop and therefore only know the ritual of wet shaving from the bathroom at home. I got the fragrance as a free sample and now after two days of testing I want to share my impressions.

The course starts spicy fresh with herbs and lavender, the bitter orange I smell less. But after a short time this typical oakmoss tonka scent is added and in this condition it stays with me. What bothers me a little is a slightly creamy note that seems a little artificial and in my opinion could possibly come from the tonka bean. I only smell this note when I sniff directly on the skin, but unfortunately this is enough to make At the Barber's disappear as a candidate for purchase for me.
For me it has somehow a similarity with the drydown of Azzaro pour homme, only without the aniseed note.

Durability was super about 8-10 hours a breeze wet shave blew me again and again around the ears. Sillage was moderately close rather than room filling.

I can only judge flacon design from the pictures, because I only had one sample tube, but it looks quite good in principle. Therefore I can unfortunately not say anything about the quality of the spray head and the haptics.

To sum up, for me a beautiful pleasant fragrance. Unfortunately one point deduction because of the cream note which I do not like completely but otherwise really great
It was definitely worth a test :)

Conan the Barber

Wow - what a brilliant prelude one is offered here. The barber's tool flashes here with precise sharpness as if fresh from a string, thanks to the congenial combination of lavender and oakmoss plus some basil, and immediately conveys the desired atmosphere of a nostalgic shaving salon.

The illusion is almost perfect, although one must admit that "At the Barbers", with the use of Evernyl oakmoss substitute and the peppery, spicy top note, represents a more modern version of the Barbershop.

The whole thing is masculine and above all extremely soapy and sensual, so that you feel good at the same time, but also full of energy and zest for action. Interestingly, the freshness here is not cool and cutting, but rather warm and gentle - even if it sounds contradictory at first.

However, the high level and benevolent sharpness cannot be consistently maintained right from the start. After some time, the scent dulls a little and you get the impression that a few woodruff molecules have gotten lost, which could most probably originate from the use of coumarin. Actually even leather is supposed to be included, which is supposed to symbolize the so called stropping strap, but unfortunately there is almost nothing to see.

Nevertheless, "At the Barbers" remains a harmoniously modern barbershop fragrance with a brilliant foamy top note between fresh, spicy, sweet, fougère and soapy. Even one of my colleagues spoke to me about what I had sprayed on. In this case, a colleague would probably have been more effective, but I think I might have been able to generate a new customer for Replicas Barbershop.
Very tidy here, master!
Maison Margiela is a Parisian fashion house only 30 years old, which seems to me to be more oriented towards haute couture and piggybacking than the (comparatively!) down-to-earth Santa Eulalia. The founder, Mr Margiela, was Belgian.

This house has also bought itself a fragrance program (which is how it should be), a few individual fragrances ("Mutiny" and "untitled" as far as I can see) and then a series called "Replica" from about a dozen EdTs and a few EdPs. "Replica" does not mean, contrary to what I first thought and contrary to what at least some of the labels (this one for example) suggest, that old scent recipes are dug up and revived (like Anglia Perfumery), but only that certain ideas of situations, moments, environments (like e.g. "lipstick", "campfire" or even "barber") are implemented in scent technology. An idea that, by the way, I don't find quite so original now. The price is not exaggerated unlike that for the clothes of the house and is thus around 100 euros per 100 ml. It is also worth mentioning that there are two "filter" fragrances to the series, "Blur" and "Glow". "Blur" should, if applied additionally, soften every fragrance in the series, "Glow" should, on the contrary, spice up, i.e. make it brighter and brighter. A kind of pre-structured layering. Wouldn't be for me, but maybe someone would.

At the Barber's implements the fragrance idea of a barber's hairdresser suitably and in a very pleasant, friendly and unobtrusive way. I can't provide a detailed analysis, the fragrance is too homogeneous for that, but the spicy, fresh, soapy and somewhat warm notes that are commonly associated with "Barbershop" are all there. Associations such as leather straps for pulling off the razor, pots with shaving foam, powder puffs perhaps, fit into this scent picture without any compulsion.

The scent is (differently than occasionally noted here) very durable, after 8 hours a complex soap-fresh scent can still be perceived very close, and after almost 14 hours, extremely skinny but then, I still feel very fine, very pleasant tonka bean (you can always bait me there). The Sillage, on the other hand, is absolutely moderate; again a fragrance with a pressure relief valve, you can bathe in it and still not bother your fellow men.

At the Barber's isn't a sweet scent from my point of view, not even in the base. It is only suitable, as is appropriate for a fragrance of this genre, for a delicate, spicily integrated warmth, which at best plays over a little into the sweetness. And in the first three hours I always take a slight stink note which I cannot assign to any of the ingredients, I would have suspected something like coriander herb, but find none. But this note is only just strong enough to make the fragrance more interesting and less smooth, it never turns into a really unpleasant one.

And this is perhaps also the strength and weakness of the fragrance: This barbershop is very friendly and tidy, bright and by the way also very modern (although of course with traditional soaps, creams, hair lotions and the like more equipped, and also a few vintage offset pieces from the flea market stand around). It's a really nice scent! But maybe a little bit too smooth and syllabic to really fall in love with him. After wearing it for two days now, I give myself my good old "Windsor" from the Czech drugstore supplier ALPA for comparison tomorrow; I almost think this hairdresser smells just as classic, but has more heart and is of real shot and grain. And there's the haircut at pre-war prices.

Itchynose
Step inside a traditional barbershop
The beautifully blended notes in At The Barber's –classic lavender, aniseed-like basil, white musk– manage to recreate a very specific moment: that first step inside an old style barbershop when the smell of countless colognes and freshly cut hair hits your nostrils; an evocative scent conjuring up images of vintage bars of soap, medicinal camphor, lotions, balms, herbal hair tonics, mentholated after shaves and traditional remedies in old glass bottles.

At The Barber's is one of the most accomplished scents in Margiela's Replica line; a clean and spicy retro fragrance to wear and admire, practically a work of art.

Just a quick trim
The opening is superb. A beautifully rich mixture of shaving cream, soap and lavender evokes in a very realistic way the experience of shaving etc. one might associate with a traditional barber shop. Unlike a barbershop quartet, if I may mix metaphors a little, this fragrance has no depth. The clean smelling soapiness fades far too quickly becoming a generic tonka and musk base. This is decent, but not remarkable. Rive Gauche is still the top-dog.

KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
Quite nice realistic barbershop opening, but quickly turns into a bland, boring musky thing.

maison margiela - replica - at the barber’s: der traditionsreiche mit gegerbtem leder überbezogene frisierstuhl wurde mal eben vorab liebevoll gleich mit eingeseift - setz dich - bist dran!
by Felsn
by Golcher
by Golcher
by RobK
by RobK

Popular Maison Margiela

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela (untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Flower Market by Maison Margiela Replica - Coffee Break by Maison Margiela