Replica - Jazz Club (2013)

Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela

Replica - Jazz Club is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for men and was released in 2013. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Lemon, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesRum absolute, Java vetiver, Clary sage
Base Notes Base NotesStyrax, Vanilla, Tobacco leaf absolute

Submitted by medicine, last update on 24.05.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Pina Colada Feeling
Maison Margiela. A great brand which you can count to the niche but the prices are fair through and through and somewhat more expensive than designers. This year I took By the fireplace and tested more good scents with this, Music Festival and the women's scent Lipstick on. Very high quality and good performances and my test by this brand will certainly continue.
Last year I ordered a small bottle of this fragrance. Also because this fragrance concept already fits into my baggage scheme. I like sweet-spicy scents very much and also the name Jazz Club, very appealing. Pyramid also sounds like nightlife, especially with tobacco, rum and vanilla. I was excited and not disappointed. Still, I expected him to be a little different than I got.

The Replica range has great flacons with this old school typewriter-look fabric label. Top and very noble. By the fireplace I stood here and that looks very noble. It does not have a lid, but it makes a powerful impression.
I was expecting a rather heavy scent. Winter, crisp cold and rather warming and for the nightlife. I got a tropical pina colada coconut scent. I have to say: You can wear it even at warmer temperatures. This coconut rum vibe is fun and great for beach parties, warm summer evenings and nightlife. Even though it is wearable at colder temperatures, I see it totally in the Tropical direction. I don't see much of the pyramid. A coconut-like note, a boozy rum note, vanilla and a pleasant tobacco note, which fortunately does not appear musty. In addition, there are fresh notes which keep this fragrance pleasant. I don't notice a lot of progress either, which doesn't bother here either. Very reminiscent of a Pina Colada, which comes across high quality and not trashy. Great done and great for fans of tropical cocktails. If jazz would come to my mind at all costs. I don't think so.
Performance is pleasant with good Sillage. Can be worn in the evening or in the nightlife. Since it is less penetrating even in leisure time and in everyday life. But because of the rum it is more suitable for the evening and nightly leisure time. Even though the vast majority don't look at him for warmer days: For me, it's warm days. Especially when the evening sun comes and the great heat disappears.

All in all, a great fragrance for me that convinces me. Not at the top of my wish list, but worth a purchase. Prices are fair and he's worth the money.
8.0 7.0 8.0 7.0/10

DarkWinterCS
A fragrance between a chilly bar and a chemical conditioner
Why only this lurid title for this fragrance? You might ask yourself that if you're reading this. That's why I start the other way around and give a direct account of what bothers me at the Jazz Club and why I chose this title.
Because in the head and heart note Jazz Club sprays a mixture of scents on my skin which reminds me of a chemical rinse and a lot of synthetic substances. I don't want to rule out that this was due to the weather, the temperatures or my mood, but this experience was not very pleasant.

But let's get to the good sides of perfume.
Imagine a smoky bar, seated in an alcohol mist and with old leather furniture. Very dense, sweety-spicy and somewhat woody-leathery.
Furthermore, the development of the fragrance is very predictable. You can almost feel how it develops and how it makes itself felt on the skin. This takes away your curiosity, but does not surprise you with unpredictable things.
Everything the name of the creation says is reflected in the notes
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

FabianO
Actually, a better, nobler, more sensual version of "The Gentleman."
At first I thought after spraying on: "Well tol, copy of D&G..." I think it's okay, the fragrance is stylistically interesting, but not intoxicating; for me the "gentleman" seems a bit too striking and loud in his style.

No, but with a bit of patience the "Jazz Club" shows that after a start on the same starting line, it will soon be qualitatively and aromatically hurrying away and setting other accents.

It is quite a warm, even slightly sultry fragrance; in this respect the name fits perfectly. Hot danced and swinging, many people in a small space, slightly ecstatic.

Rum, sage, tobacco, vanilla - these 4 cornerstones determine the aromatic events - rather something for the cooler days and evenings. The aromas are well interwoven, sensual, warming, somewhat sweet and wafting, but without losing themselves in stickiness.
The sage, on the other hand, has a somewhat herb-etheric background, the tobacco is sun-golden and the rum and vanilla add very sensual, cuddly nuances.

In fact, this is a reason for any D&G fans to become unfaithful. This fragrance can see its price anyway.
10.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

StefaniH
"And the shark that's got teeth"
For a long time I wanted to write my first comment on Parfumo, even if I don't want to call myself the best fragrance critic. I can't remain silent about Replica Jazz Club, because this fragrance enchanted me from the very first spray. I have never found the name of the perfume more fitting for any other fragrance. So the attempt of a fragrance description:

Jazz club is sexy, jazz club is attractive. The scent has something exotic for me, too, so I think I smell coconut. Maybe my nose is fooling me. As for fragrances, I'm no expert at all. I mean smelling the rum. The shelf life is good and can withstand a complete evening, I would say 6-7 hours. The Sillage is also good in the first 2-3 hours and you are noticed. Later the scent sits down and accompanies you very closely. But durability and Sillage are also always an individual thing. Even the next day I notice Jazz Club on my jacket collar.

If you spray it on, you really feel transported to the jazz clubs of New Orleans. For me it is my scent of the theatre in which I work as a musician. Recently at the dress rehearsal for Brecht's Threepenny Opera: "So after the summer break I come back to the theatre, past the orchestra and singer's dressing rooms, straight to the big house on stage. Every stage has its own smell and every stage smells different, can hardly be described. So I build my instrument and I wear jazz club. In this ambience, the fragrance comes into its own so well, it simply fits perfectly, no - it is perfect and made for it. Made for a jazz club, but also the theatre has the atmosphere of a wicked jazz club this evening. At the latest when we play the Pirate Jenni or the Canon Song, because Weill's music, which he wrote for the Threepenny Opera, also has elements from jazz.

I must say, with this scent I feel unbeatable, self-confident and perfect - the right conditions to deliver on stage.
Was the fragrance perhaps conceived for musicians of a jazz club? Anyway, he fits like no other. Despite everything, it also goes well with other situations and you can also wear the scent well during the day. In the evening it is only more beautiful and unfolds all its charm.
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Boxcarhobo
Reminds me somehow of D&G The One - but in better!
I tried the fragrance in the perfumery a few months ago. I liked it there, but because it was a very hot summer day, it didn't show to advantage.

Yesterday I was in the same store again because I was looking for an office fragrance for the dark season. Something warm, pleasant it should be. Fireplace and old wooden furniture, that sort of thing. But not too pushy, office and all that.
At the same time he should hold the whole day, because I am not a person who bunkers his bottles in his desk. I know you walk a fine line, but there are scents that stay discreet and long in the nose
So I tried a few scents again and suddenly my eyes fell on "Jazz Club". That's right, I tried it the other day. I actually liked it quite well. So quickly a splash on the wrist, waited a moment and then taken a deep nose. Wait a minute, this kind of smells like The One. But better. Finer. Noble.
Well, the comparison isn't quite right. "The One" is sweeter, "Jazz Club" heavier and more beguiling. Only in the first moment the association came to me, with longer smell the difference is then nevertheless quite clear. "The One" is one of the few fragrances where I completely emptied the bottle. A good, everyday scent. The biggest problem is the poor underground durability, after only 2 hours it is almost completely gone. Unlike "Jazz Club" - the warm, friendly touch accompanies you all day long without pushing yourself to the fore. Like quiet jazz in the background.

Due to a 20% discount campaign I didn't torch for long and took the scent directly with me. Due to the good Sillage and the long durability one, maximum two splashes are sufficient completely. The 100ml bottle should last accordingly long
8.0 8.0 7.0 8.0/10

McSchoork
In May in Helsinki in a perfumery I discovered this perfume, which I tested right away and which did not let me go. Here in Germany you have to order it from the usual perfumeries, because you can't buy it in the stores. I find the concept of the replica series very exciting and I will test some of them as well.

Now it is mine and what this fragrance triggers, I would like to briefly describe to you here.

It was a sultry summer evening when McSchoork entered the jazz club. The murmur and the music stopped playing, he stood there at the entrance with a view of the bar. McSchoork grabbed a glass of lemon water from the waitress's tablet and refreshed himself with the glass on Ex. A loud clang echoed through the hall as a bottle of finest Zapatera rum fell to the floor. Immediately the smell of rum was running through the smoke of cigarettes and cigarillos and mixed to a rum/tobacco note which now flowed through the whole club.
McSchoork's gaze wandered through the room. Some older figures sat together in the back corner on leather armchairs and looked at him. On the left stood a fruit basket, where Pina Coladas were mixed. A stranger next to him lit a flavoured vanilla cigarillo.

McSchoork's gaze went left to the stage and there sat a lean man at the piano.
"Hey piano player with his teeth smashed in, you play La Paloma immediately," it came out of his mouth. The piano player replied"...but I didn't have any Z...".BÄÄÄM"......Mapamoma Ohje.

McSchoork went to the bar, took a seat on a bar stool and ordered a Santiago de Cuba, turned into the round and stayed there 6-7 hours.
He'll come back, you'll be able to smell him from far away when he's around. There's a new sheriff in town and his name is McSchoork!
6.0 6.0 8.0 7.5/10

Rum? I dunno...
Wore this one for about a week now and am quite happy with how it degrades over time on clothing. The overall character of the drydown remains and doesn't become too musty. To me, that's usually a sign of quality. That said, this is nowhere near a masterful scent IMO and definitely not worth the money.

Ouch. I know. But I was honestly expecting a little more -- booze that is. For example, the rum note in Perry Ellis' BVA is unmistakable and actually smells like rum, straight off the top. Ditto with By Kilian's STH. The rum in this one however, smells more to me like a synthetic iris concotion, similar to the one in Armaf's Futura La Homme or Zara's Tone Indeterminee (even though that one doesn't have iris officially listed). It's definitely not a BAD smell, but doesn't really evoke any "boozy" qualities for me - more like "warm floral".

It's also not strong. Like, AT ALL. But that's certainly not a bump, since it does have that slightly warm quality that could become cloying if it screamed like a beast. But the blend...hmmm...I dunno. There are a few notes in there that don't quite mesh that well. I have a feeling it's the styrax, sage and vetiver combination that doesn't quite sit right if I smell it too close. The bolded fragrance notes above are a fair approximation of what I get too - a tiny bit of tobacco and vanilla, with a whole lot of that "rum" weirdness.

The sillage is quite nice and dense though, which is a plus in cold weather. It would also fit very well with a wool coat and scarf. But for the money...I think there are far better options, even in the designer realm. Code Profumo, Dior Homme and Valentino Uomo Intense come to mind and I would take any of those over Jazz Club. I even wore this once while playing some casual jazz with a few friends - sunburst epiphone dot in hand - just to see if I was feelin' it. I wasn't.

Instead, for a night with the band, give me Versace Man or Pure Malt - two more excellent, more interesting and less expensive options over Jazz club. Like I said, it ain't bad, and the ingredients are quality, but the smell could use a little work, especially for the price. I'm glad I got to wear it though, but if someone were to gift me a bottle, I definitely wouldn't keep it. Maybe it's just my nose.
6.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Rum with Coconut...
I must say, I don't find this one as a "dark" or "heavy" scent in any way. I immediately get a rum and coconut vibe here, which is really quite nice. To me this fragrance has a boozy, tropical aspect to it. In other words, it doesn't remind me entirely of a jazz club.

Nevertheless it is a really good fragrance. I do get rum and tobacco, although the leather is faint. I also see this as sophisticated and with depth. I can see this working beautifully on any person's skin. I wholly recommend it to try if you like the boozier type of sophisticated scents. Give it a try and you may be surprised. It's one I like for sure.

Carlitos01 39 days ago
A Margiela to use in warmer days and to balance with By the Fireplace for the cooler season. Fresh, boozy and sweet and a natural pleaser.+3
KingPin 99 days ago
Comes off as a bit pretentious. Not classic or interesting to me.+1
4.5
JoaoMartins 8 months ago
Too generic for its pricetag. Expected way more uniqueness
9.0
4.0
ScentedSalon 3 years ago
Doesn't quite land. There is a harshness to the rum instead of smoothness. More skill in blending required.

by DeJu
by TheMac
by Oziriz
by Oziriz

Popular Maison Margiela

(untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Replica - Flower Market by Maison Margiela Replica - Promenade in the Gardens by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela