Replica - Jazz Club (2013)

Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela

Replica - Jazz Club is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for men and was released in 2013. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.
Scent goes well with Colonia Leather (Eau de Cologne Concentrée)

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Lemon, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesRum absolute, Java vetiver, Clary sage
Base Notes Base NotesStyrax, Vanilla, Tobacco absolute

Submitted by medicine, last update on 08.08.2020.

Pina colada
I bought a test box of the replica series and one in advance, luckily only the test box. Because not one of them convinced me.

To Jazz Club:
i smell pina colada, not a jazz club. And just like with the drink, I feel the scent. The first sip is still delicious but every further sip is a step towards nausea

Gatsby's fragrance
Usually I don't like the smell of cigars, but this is something different. The tobacco here is calming, hugs around the sweet rum accord and the right amount of the citrus note in the opening just makes this fragrance a perfectly blended cocktail.
I think they should change the name, I do not get any kind of jazz here, jazz clubs had/have a totally different atmosphere, which is not bad at all, as I still love this fragrance. For me this is more a Gatsby style fragrance, this could be his signature fragrance. The performance is decent, 4-5 hours on my skin with moderate projection. Surely not a beast fragrance but it is a compliment getter. This is love in a bottle.

"Hot summer nights, mid July
When you and I were forever wild
The crazy days, city lights
The way you'd play with me like a child"

You dreamer
Who doesn't have this one thought, how must it have been in the (jazz) clubs in the past? This wish to be in one of the dark, gloomy and hip jazz clubs. Just close your eyes while smelling and let it fall, does a cool jazz club smell like this? I like the scent very much!
For me, he's a wicked, dark one with a conscience sweet. Who wouldn't love to sit in one of those clubs with the scent and a cigar and listen to the music? I, for one, love to wear it and let me dream about the scent again and again!

Not a Jazz Club (NKNN)
I recently got a 10 piece discovery set from Maison Margiela in, so you can expect more impressions in the upcoming weeks, but I wanted to start with one that I had smelled before: Jazz Club.

Jazz Club is supposed to be a tobbaco and rum heavy fragrance, but interestingly enough, I get a clear coconut scent in the opening. Not a sourish, tropical coconut, but more so a semi-sweet, neutral nutty coconut, which I love. A hint of citrus in the first hour, makes for a surprisingly 'fresh' wear, considering what this is supposed to represent. The tobacco and rum are also both prominent, although the latter maybe less so, as I think tobacco is the more dominant of the two. The tobacco isn't really smoky or ashy and I could've easily mistaken it for suede. It's not a harsh, nor a realistic tobacco note and the more this fragrance dries down, the more it becomes a vetiver, woody fragrance, rather than a tobacco one. It also becomes heavy on the vanilla in the drydown and it has a vanilla candle vibe. Combined with the sweetness, it makes for a more unisex wear that I would've guessed based on the listed notes.

Because of the rum note this smells a bit like the classic Dolce & Gabbana The One (Jazz Club is more tropical, more tobacco and sweeter though), which I own and I love the smell of. The problem with The One is that the performance is laughable on my skin. Unfortunately, I can't say I'm really happy with the performance of Jazz Club either, it's not an impressive performer for a boozy tobbaco type fragrance and I'd say it's below average to average. I do love the scent however. I think with a name like Jazz Club it's a bit of a mismatch and especially looking at the notes, it can throw you off if you go in with different expectations. I'm not sure if a bottle purchase is fully justified with the moderate performance, but it's comforting and versatile and it's a smell that I wouldn't mind coming back to at all •
SvenScent
More hospital than jazz club...

Margiela's Jazz Club had been on my watch list for quite some time, as I found this rum-tobacco mixture extremely appealing and had already seen some positive reviews on You-Tube. However, I was afraid of a blind buy because of the not so very low price. So I was all the more pleased when a dear member of this forum pointed out to me that you can get samples of the replica series over the Internet. I then ordered a sample from the Jazz Club and was happy to be able to test it.

But the scent didn't knock me off my feet!
Already the prelude is not so tasty, but citric-fermented, as I think. The heart then shows a clear hospital chord, which is not mine at all. I can't say exactly where it came from. It cannot be the clary sage alone, because it is contained in some of the fragrances which I count among my favourites. Moreover, the rum is very reserved and does not have the class of the 'Bentley for Men Intense'. I had expected much more than that The best part is the finish. As has already been pointed out frequently here, it has some similarities to Dolce & Gabbana's 'The One'. But I don't find this one quite so successful either, as the tobacco is all too much camouflaged by the sweet vanilla. I prefer the tobacco and amber collaboration of 'The One'! Besides, this strange hospital smell is still noticeable in the background.

All in all, I am therefore glad not to have made a blindbuy, because, frankly, the fragrance is not for me. This is astonishing, since I actually like boozyness and tobacco very much - but I prefer to stay away from hospitals...!
Ena
Pure pleasure and flashback to the old times
I'll leave it with the fragrance description for now and tell you about my feeling when I applied it for the first time.

I felt like I was just smoking a cigar in a bar in the Bronx in the 60s and drinking a whisky on the side.

Try it out, close your eyes and let your imagination run wild
The nightclub fragrance
Hardly any other perfume is able to give me the impression of a hip nightclub in the middle of Havana.
Woody aromas are mixed there with spices, alcohol and tobacco accompanied by an animal-like base to create an olfactory impression that fits perfectly into the lively, exotic nightlife of this Caribbean metropolis.
Immediately after spraying Replica - Jazz Club starts with a peppery citrus chord. After a few minutes, caused by a BarberShop-like vetiver note, I dive into the earthier parts of the fragrance. An intoxicating, dark, sweet rum supported by a hint of sage is added to create the incomparable club atmosphere. In further development, the fragrance begins to dry and leaves an aroma of dry vanilla styrax enriched with Iso E Super, which now almost smells like the wooden interior of the nightclub. At the very end, all the aromas seem to come back for a rendezvous. Alcohol, candied tobacco, the wooden club chairs and a minimal sweaty note round off the olfactory experience in a pleasant way.
Admittedly, I have already smelled more beautiful Bay Rum or even better cherry tobacco, but the combination of the described ingredients produces a unique smell, which I smelled for the first time here.
The durability on my skin is unfortunately only average and the projection is interestingly also not really strong, as you might assume. Since I would apply the scent anyway only for nocturnal rambles, the durability, which is with me with about 6 hours, is also no issue.
I cannot share the classification as unisex perfume and see Replica - Jazz Club as a thoroughly masculine fragrance.

Jazz Lounge
Background story:

My background story of Jazz Club is the same as my background story of By the fireplace (i've written a review for this one as well): I tried them at the same time. I liked both at the same time. I bought both at the same time.

Things about Jazz Club that come in my mind:

- boozy, elegant, masculin, non-smoky tobacco, going out, inviting
- I would say its more appropriate in a Lounge atmosphere than in club atmosphere
- Can be worn in any season of the year but in my opinion too strong for high heat and too weak for extreme cold. Fall fits best.
- more appropriate for casual wear because of the boozy qualities
- I usually do not more than 5 sprays but I can imagine up to 7 sprays in outdoor scenarios.

Scent:
- I do see some similarities to D&G The One. But the are not redundant by any means.
- The scent is quite linear on my skin: starts as boozy tobacco and finishs as boozy tobacco

Subjective rating: 8.5
I am a big fan of this one. It is my favorite from Maison Margiela although I have to admit that I find By the fireplace more unique and more complex. It is just that kind of scent that I can imagine smelling all the time.

Objective rating: 8.5
As I mentioned before, Jazz Club is not redundant to D&G The One but shares some nuances. I see Jazz Club beeing a people pleaser as well as The One is.

Longevity:

I don't know if its just the Maison Margiela DNA but I do get noseblind to Jazz Club as well as I do get noseblind to By the fireplace after 2...3h. However I have tested it over night and it was weaker than by the fireplace but still detectable after the night. I'm giving it 8h.

rating: 8

Sillage:
I do smell it until I get noseblind but outgoing from the reactions of others, I would say the sillage is there for 2.5...3h. The scentcloud itself seems less dense as By the fireplace.

rating: 6

Bottle/packaging:
Copy & Paste from By the fireplace:
"I do find the whole concept of the replica line fantastic. I do like the creativity that Maison Margiela put in their scents as well as in their labels. There is only one downside in my opinion: the missing cap. I don't understand why some brands don't have caps on their products. For example: I'm travelling a lot and of course I do want to take one or two fragrances with we. For me, it's a reason to not take a fragrance on a trip if there is a risk that it sprays accidentally in my luggage.

rating: 8 (9 minus 1 because of the missing cap)"

AgnesEva
Like "Birdland" in New York...
Wow... when I first smelled that perfume I felt like I was taken back to 'Birdland' in New York where I saw a great jazz concert. Yes. This perfume smells absolutely like a jazz club and asks me if Aliénor Massenet sometimes romps around there himself. The scent of drinks, leather seats, cigars, aftershave... Perfect. Perfect. If a fragrance can revive memories so strongly, even after 10 years (it is exactly 10 years ago that I was in Birdland), then it is a masterpiece. I don't like the bottle very much, though. I want a real cap on my perfumes.
Berlin nightlife
As a student in Berlin, it occasionally whirls you through clubs and bars, depending on your financial situation. I'm more of a bargoer, someone who likes it a bit more cosy and sociable, someone who reacts very sensitively to music that is too loud, because I want something from my ears later on as a music lover.
In this city there is plenty of choice of bars. A walk through the Warschauer Straße can widen the horizon and no - I'm not asking you to stock up at the dealer's S-Bahn station there. There are large bars, smaller bars and the really beautiful and cosy, but really very very small rooms, which often function as real insider tips. These small bars have something special that can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. What I mean is that you can quickly get into conversation with strangers. Not infrequently one or the other acquaintance arises here. But it can also work differently, when someone is sitting next to you at the table, whom you would love to grab by the ears and drag outside. Maybe this person is not even aware because of their high alcohol consumption that they are now punished by the other bar visitors with pejorative looks. Let me tell you a little story:

A middle-aged gentleman enters our small, tranquil bar. You can tell that he's already swum up a bit, but good ... we're here in Berlin's nightlife. As long as he doesn't take you to the ring ... (PS: Just because you puke into a lane doesn't make you "groundbreaking".)
In any case, he was worried about his appearance when a few hours ago he stood in the bathroom in front of the mirror, straightened his hair and applied something citric and spicy, which everyone in this compact room of course noticed. Really pleasant, I must say. I liked that.
What I probably forgot or ignored was that the bar I had chosen was a smoking bar. Nobody's lit a cigarette around here yet. Our newcomer should be the first. After inhaling two cigarettes within a very short time - a miracle that he didn't suck up the filter at the same time - it smelled a little smoky, but by no means disturbing. But this changed within a very short time, when our slightly drunk newcomer remembered that it was a little too warm for cardigan, scarf and coat. All this he put away and unfortunately right next to me. I was overcome by a cloud of cold cigarette smoke, which must have settled in the clothes of that gentleman. With all the comforts, it was over. I simply can't stand such smells, be it customers at work who stink up our shop or the gentleman next to me, and as a four-time dog owner I'm used to some olfactory torture.
The smoke should accompany me the whole evening and this evening was long - very long. And our newcomer - well ... in the meantime it was not so new anymore - it was really filled up. He seemed to be a rum lover, who was probably used to a lot of rum, but despite the habituation effect the crash had to come sometime. If his place was and so automatically also the one next to him, thus mine, flooded by an aura of cold smoke and already a felt half glass of spilled rum, this was now still intensified. If he had spilled the expensive drink every now and then due to his ever-increasing blood alcohol capade, it fell completely out of his hand. Although he was already completely dense, but still master of his senses to the extent that he was anxious to save his drink, he tried to catch it somehow, but it failed. Instead of catching it, he catapulted it onto his clothes, which had been taken off about two hours ago, by means of an artistic mistake, which I would rate as eleven out of ten. What was up my nose here made me look for a new place. I didn't want to endure something so musty and smoky that was "decorated" with cheap rum. If you want to feel the whole thing without tearing the film, hanging over the toilet and other excesses, I recommend you either to buy this scent here or - and this is much cheaper - to get you a cheap rum and tip it into an ashtray, in which the cold ashes of the last days or weeks are located.

At the end it should be said that you can only help such people by not letting them into your premises in the first place. But what can you do? At the beginning it was quite fresh and pleasantly dieselled in. Who then calculates with such an end?

Then I went out, because unfortunately another table was no longer available. Olfactorially I was then expected by a breeze of Berlin air, which at that moment, albeit in a somewhat unpleasant way, blew my nose free.

Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 124 days ago
Unique, warm, and cozy. Not particularly sexy or anything, but I like to spray this in my house at night for the atmosphere it conveyes.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 16 months ago
A Margiela to use in warmer days and to balance with By the Fireplace for the cooler season. Fresh, boozy and sweet and a natural pleaser.
KingPinKingPin 18 months ago
4.5
Comes off as a bit pretentious. Not classic or interesting to me.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 23 months ago
Too generic for its pricetag. Expected way more uniqueness
ScentedSalonScentedSalon 5 years ago
Doesn't quite land. There is a harshness to the rum instead of smoothness. More skill in blending required.

by DeJu
by Oziriz
by Pltnbrutha
by Pltnbrutha

Popular Maison Margiela

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela (untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela Replica - Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Promenade in the Gardens by Maison Margiela Replica - Flower Market by Maison Margiela