Replica - Jazz Club 2013

Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela
Replica - Jazz Club is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for men and was released in 2013. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Colonia Leather (Eau de Cologne Concentrée)

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepperPink pepper
Clary sageClary sage
Base Notes Base NotesStyraxStyrax
VanillaVanilla
Tobacco absoluteTobacco absolute

Submitted by medicine, last update on 21.09.2021.

Razvanyke
Rum meet vanilla for the evening
This perfume should have been called "Love affair" and then the name would be right.
It is a shy, close to skin scent which even if you apply 10 sprays, it will still not project at all but oh man the smell on your skin or clothes will be to die for.

There is a nice bubbly start from the pepper with a bit of neroli, then the rum in the background with sweet vanilla takes over and stays for the length of the scent. I would have liked some tobacco and leather in it, to give it an edge .. but it´s not there.

My thoughts about it, can be seen in the video. Thank you for watching!

Coolness
One evening I arranged to meet my best friend in a jazz bar. Upon entering, one had a direct view of the long bar counter. The room itself was then twice as long and went once around the corner. The ceiling was quite high and the room was decorated with black tables and chairs. Then in the corner of this L-shaped room was a small stage where a jazz band was to perform at 10PM. Around this were smaller round tables spread out. We decided to sit at one of the black tables a bit away from the action, although nobody was there yet anyway. Soon the bartender came to our table, who seemed more like the landlord since he was running the place all by himself. Wearing a loose white shirt and grey jeans, this one looked rather unimpressive at first glance. But as soon as he stood in front of us to take the order, he had a strong impression on me. Relaxed and at the same time very determined, he asked us what we wanted to drink. He seemed somehow annoyed and at the same time nice. Very funny, but there was something cool about it. If I had met this bald man in his mid 40's on the street, I would have labeled him as an unsympathetic guy with a tendency to be choleric. But here in this bar, he fit in perfectly. You could tell he had everything under control and he had to because he was the only staff in the bar. I drank a rum with ice. After a while, I pulled out a scent strip from my back pocket with "Jazz Club" on it and showed it to my friend.

Jazz Club, for me, is one of those scents that I can't get out of my head and keeps coming back to me. It's a fragrance that really stands out as a scent and has quite a distinctive character to me. Maison Margiela's Replica range, which aims to recreate certain situations with fragrance and then name it after the situation, did a great job of recreating the situation of a jazz club with Jazz Club. I think you can pass the jazz bar I was in as a jazz club. Whenever I smell this scent, I have to think back to that situation with my best friend.
The evening was very emotional: talking to her and with the jazz music in the background. At the same time, the overall situation seemed rather distant to me at the time: The bar manager, which has appeared determined and distant, but has fit perfectly into the jazz bar and had a very own coolness about him, of which so many hipsters can only dream.
Then there were the alcoholic drinks, rum and gin and tonic, which were on the long black table, in the rather gloomy, cool and spacious room.
It was very atmospheric.

The scent gives me just those images: the sweet rum with a great boozy note, which seems very grown up with tobacco and then surrounds the vetiver/sage and finally is rounded and framed with the fresh notes from the top note.
Better I can not describe it and I also make no truth claims with my description, because the fragrance is as I said very coherently composed and thus beautiful for my nose!
It just like music (jazz music): you are taken by the music, you become part of the melody while listening and you are drawn into another world / with its own mood. That is the magic of music and that is also the magic of Jazz Club
Abstract coconut
Right now is the time to wear this fragrance and right now is also the time to write a review about it. Because Jazz Club is the ultimate feel-good fragrance for times when the changeable weather ensures that you are always dressed wrong.

When, in the exuberance of spring expectation, you have thrown on the nice, light jacket and, after much hesitation, even decided on a light scarf, although all the winter clothes should already go into the closet. When you enter the street dressed like this, the rain clouds rushing along in the wind quickly shield you from the sun. It begins to rain, at the much too thin jacket all zippers and buttons are closed, which one can find and the scarf is wrapped so often and so high around the neck that one remains almost the air away.

If one should not have run now yet too far from home, one turns around, in order to put on nevertheless still cap, gloves and the thick winter jacket. Or one has luck and finds a shop, into which one can disappear times fast and with the rummage stands then there a bottle of the brown, warmth promising Maison Margiela smell.
Spray it on and your nose tells you: come in, sit down, warm up, look around, calm down. The sun and warmth will be right back. Rejoice in the light clothes you've been missing now.

This is exactly how I discovered this fragrance a few years ago. And after several years of using the scent frequently, I have to say that was probably the perfect moment to meet it for the first time.

My strongest association when smelling it is - as already mentioned in some comments - clearly coconut and that also right at the beginning. In fact, I also recognize a short time the slight sour notes at the beginning, but only on the skin (not on the test strip) and also really only briefly. Therefore, I would actually not characterize the fragrance as citrusy in any way. To me, the scent is woody-sweet. He actually tends strongly in the gourmand direction, to cross the border to a real gourmand, however, he lacks any fruit component on the one hand and has it on the other hand too much wood and synthetic-aldehyde aspects.

How the coconut character comes about is still not entirely clear to me. I think, however, that it is ultimately the mixture of the woody and sweet character.

Interesting is: We have it here in this aspect to do with a particularly beautiful example of an abstract fragrance representation. Because if you smell coconut milk or coconut shavings once and then at the Jazz Club, you realize that it is just a pure abstraction. The smell of the real ingredients of coconut is actually very different, less smoky, less aldehydic. For those interested in coconut fragrances, I would like to recommend a sample of Jazz Club. Perhaps a way to discover the fragrance differently.

In fact, the perception span for the wearer with two hours rather short. However, he withdraws just as already described in the other reviews to the near environment. And in doing so, he becomes anything but unpleasant. I find Jazz Club to be one of those fragrances that retreats to a heavenly base that is still perceptible for a few days. When I first tested it, it was the scent strip that I carried around with me even after two days, sipping a quick "smelling sip" of the pleasant deep sweetness every now and then. In the base, I perceive great similarity to the fragrance "Megalium" by Carner (even if the "superstructure" of the two fragrances is very different! - Not a fragrance twin!). I suspect that Styrax is a big contributor here.
HopeMoll
Dark and admonishing, it lies in the rehearsal room waiting to be opened, her bass case.
She knew she had to practice, exercise her fingers, not get rusty, develop calluses.
But what was the point anyway?
Playing with the others, sharing, the process of creating music together, she missed it, she missed it so much....
Reluctantly, she let the buckles of the suitcase snap open and opened the leather lid.
She inhaled the leather scent, interspersed with the smell of the cigars the band puffed after successful gigs.
How long had it been? It seemed like forever to her.
Resting her head against the neck of the double bass, she played the first low note with the bow in a long time.
And immediately it set in, that calm in the minor,
made her close her eyes and breathe more deeply.
Accompanied by more low tones, she dreamed herself into dark clubs with candlelight and music and cocktails and revelry.
It will be like that again, she could feel it
and still play half the night.

Perfectly informed you will be about this fragrance a floor below, in Scentbubbles commentary.
Which couldn't be more eloquent, so I won't even try.

ScentBubble
Imitation leather, non-smoking protection and exotic drinks
Fortunately, in the package that "By the Fireplace" came with, there was also a sample of this fragrance here: "Jazz Club". After "By the Fireplace" had already moved me to a comment due to its uniqueness, I would now like to make an attempt herewith to familiarize the inclined reader a bit with "Jazz Club". So let's get to it.

Basically, the concept of Maison Margiela's "Replica" line aims to transport the fragrance wearer and those around him to certain places or to make him think of certain activities based on fragrance. What these are in detail - as well as other details about the fragrance - can be seen on the label, which in my opinion is very stylish and made of fabric. This concept finds by the way analogously also with parts of the clothing articles application, which are brought by the house on the market.

Let's see whether the perfumer Aliénor Massenet has succeeded in meeting the self-imposed claim.

First of all, the journey should take us back to the year 2013, and specifically to the Jazz Club Brooklyn. This is to succeed in the fragrance especially by the fact that it brings up associations with intoxicating cocktails and cigars.

"Jazz Club" opens its olfactory fireworks at medium volume with a vanilla sweetness, paired in equal parts with a very pleasant rum note. Patchouli and vetiver flit inconspicuously through the fragrance picture, which is altogether by a finely perceptible coconut touch reminiscent of an exotic drink, but without being really "boozy". So does "Jazz Club" reflect the smell - no, the scent - of intoxicating cocktails? Absolutely yes, because this is emphatically not about whiskey neat, but about - that's right - cocktails.

Let us now turn to the cigars. And exactly at this point there is a special feature: the perfumer was so prudent to take into account the in 2013 already, fortunately, firmly established non-smoker protection. The smoking visitor of the Jazz Club Brooklyn does not pursue his vice at the table, but rather goes to the door, where a few noble ashtrays and, in the colder seasons, a heater await him. When he returns to his table afterwards, he draws a light veil of scent, which can then be perceived very discreetly by the other guests. However: In the smokers' corner, the guests do not smoke a few roll-your-own cigarettes with tobacco from the corner discounter. Rather, the guests puff the finest cigars from the best growing areas.

Only for the sake of completeness it should be mentioned here that also the smell of the leather of the seating, which is usual for clubs, is found again. And indeed, the styrax resin finely woven into the fragrance picture actually provides a very discreet, decidedly balsamic leather note, which in particular, however, rather reminds of artificial than real leather. This, however, is expressly not to be understood as a negative connotation - quite the opposite.

The fragrance goes linearly into the drydown, where it then becomes much quieter. Here, however, it should be noted that he is in individual cases for the wearer after one to two hours barely perceptible and rather seems close to the skin, but for people in the immediate vicinity loosely-fluffy still six to seven hours can be well noticed, until he finally actually becomes close to the skin.

Of course, I would also like to take up the sporadically brought to the speech similarity to other known fragrances. Quite clearly are from my point of view similarities with Dolce & Gabbana's "The One". To make "Jazz Club" come across exactly like "The One", you would basically have to subtract rum and vanilla and add a few spices; however, the similarity is already quite noticeable without interfering with the scent. Parfums de Marly's "Herod" is much further away. Here would then be to remove only the rum note; however, the fragrances are per sé comparatively much further apart.

Ultimately, "Jazz Club" is a tendency gourmandiger fragrance, which can be worn except for the very hot days quite the whole year; gladly during the day, but especially in the evening hours, but never occasion-bound. The label says that it is a masculine fragrance. Personally, I can imagine that this classification was the result of an internal company vote in which "male" won out over "unisex" by one vote. To my mind, "Jazz Club" is equally wearable by both genders.

I for my part have in the meantime ordered one of the fancy apothecary bottles and am sure that I will wear the fragrance often and with pleasure. Test it should be in any case!

Thank you for reading!
In da JazZClub
Go, go, go, go, go, go
Go, shorty
It's your birthday
We gon' party like it's your birthday
We gon' sip Rum Absolue like it's your birthday
And you know we don't give a fu... it's not your birthday You can find me in the jazzclub, bottle full of Maison Margiela
Look, mami, I got the scent , if you into takin' tobacco & vanilla
I'm into havin' sex, I ain't into makin' love
Weightless
What a great mixture of lightness and heaviness. Zero gravity? Is that any way to describe a fragrance?
Interestingly, he reminds me of my childhood. I can't really say why exactly. Of course, that makes him particularly emotional to me.
It smells mature and mature, with a good dash of humor and a desire to dance. I can well imagine him in a bar where the mood is good.
Definitely unique, although not pompous, but pleasing and arousing interest.
Jazz Club meets Stoßlüften
At Jazz Club I was initially enthusiastic. A fragrance that stands out and conveys exactly what it was named after. An old club, Cuban rum lies pleasantly in the air, a leather-booted caballero smoking a cigar. The evening was long and it is around 4 o'clock in the morning. The pool table is still in use, the remaining regulars are happily slurring their words into the alcohol-soaked air. Everyone is in a good mood, there are no problems. There is only the here and now.

A super clear picture of what this fragrance conveys. An absolute character scent. Extraordinary, but extremely pleasant. Exactly my cup of tea.

Unfortunately the owner of the house decided about 2 hours later to air the house. Because around 6 o'clock in the morning there is no more of this scent there.

------------

I got a bottling of this fragrance from my brother along with some other of his favorite scents.
I sprayed all these samples on different notepads to be able to compare their scent and its course. 2 hours later Jazz Club was unfortunately no longer noticeable, while other scents, like Baraonda, had just reached their zenith. What a pity, the scent is so brilliant, H/S unfortunately very needy.
Is that tea I smell?
Today I was in a larger branch of the turquoise giant where they also had rare designer and niche fragrances and wanted to have a look at the assortment to gain more experience besides what I'm currently collecting in the souk. I also came across the Replica fragrances and got my hands on "Replica - Jazz Club". My expectations were really not big. Since I'm still a bit naive about them, these scents seem to be something between designer and niche and don't cost too much I thought to myself "they won't be that great - after all, I've ordered at least 20 far more expensive scents in the souk so far and even then nothing really blew me away". There was once a "Herod" or "oajan" or even "Oud for Greatness" which I found great but they didn't trigger anything in me that I still had to think about them an hour later
So I was all the more surprised by the "Replica - Jazz Club". I hardly got the palm of my hand off my nose half a day today, when I arrived at home I had to go to the computer immediately to look at the scent's reviews and videos and even now, several hours later, it's still buzzing around in my head so much that it made me write my first comment on a scent.

I am, as already mentioned, still super new to the perfume game and recognizing scents is as easy as maneuvering my heavy weightlifter ass over a wire rope. In other words, it is almost impossible. But if I had to try to describe him I would say he is really wonderful, attractive, slightly sweet vanilla, discreetly tobacco like, masculine and yet soo ... hmmm, somehow soft and unobtrusive although he was taken really well. To recognize the scents is as mentioned my big strength *wink* ;) and what he reminded me of is not included in the description and comments but somehow he reminds me of a really delicious tea. Something like black tea with vanilla or something. I can't say for sure. Anyway, I took a 10ml bottle in the souk to test it more intensively but I think I must have it. I can imagine it really well on a date but also in everyday life because it is so unobtrusive. The shelf life was also not bad on my skin. It's not a monster with 12+ hours but it lasted 6-8 hours and with the price of only 75€ for 100ml you can't complain.

Spray this on yourself and play some Nat King Cole, Coltrane or Miles Davis
This stuff if amazing, out of this world! To me the Jazz Club name is spot on, it does make me think of a nice, cozy, sophisticated lounge yet underground and a little trashy kind of clubs.

This is all about the vanilla, booze (rum) and some tobacco but not the dirty smoky kind but more of a green tobacco leaf, very gentlemanly and stylish. It is versatile for the night time, could be easily worn in dates, lounge, clubbing and considering how seductive and suggestive it is it’s also good for netflix & chill

To me this is a an amazing release by Maison Margiela, good performance and a great scent that rivals By the Fireplace as the best from the house (followed closely by At the Barber’s).

ScentwitchScentwitch 2 months ago
As a woman, I myself love wearing this perfume, which belongs to my hubby.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 5 months ago
The One EdP + a glass of rum
SolokomSolokom 9 months ago
Wunderbarer Duft, die Performance ist bei mir aber unterirdisch schlecht. Selbst D&G The One schlägt diesen Duft hierbei um Längen.
GreMuserGreMuser 10 months ago
Disappointing, anyone who approaches it to D&G The One is out of the way. Unbearable vanilla.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 12 months ago
Jazz club- light . I like this one. Nothing big but very pleasant and fun to wear parfum.
ItchynoseItchynose 1 year ago
Most Margiela scents tend to get the evocative side spot on. This one is pleasant enough but I couldn't even find the door to the Jazz Club.
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 1 year ago
Unique, warm, and cozy. Not particularly sexy or anything, but I like to spray this in my house at night for the atmosphere it conveyes.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A Margiela to use in warmer days and to balance with By the Fireplace for the cooler season. Fresh, boozy and sweet and a natural pleaser.
KingPinKingPin 3 years ago
4.5
Comes off as a bit pretentious. Not classic or interesting to me.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
Too generic for its pricetag. Expected way more uniqueness

Cigar Smoke, Rum and Jazz
by Miguellink
by DKScent
by DKScent

Popular Maison Margiela

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela (untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Coffee Break by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Springtime in a Park by Maison Margiela