Replica - By the Fireplace (2015)

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela

Replica - By the Fireplace is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is smoky-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesClove, Orange blossom, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesGaiac wood, Chestnut, Canary Islands juniper
Base Notes Base NotesCashmeran, Peru balsam, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 05.07.2020.

The name says it all
Freshly sprayed the scent of smoky, woody and rather unpleasant smells. This is really but only in the first minute. In the beginning it really smells like in front of a campfire. You could think you are sitting in front of a campfire and smell the burnt wood and breathe in the smoky scent.
But it quickly develops into a very warm, hearty fragrance which is no longer very smoky or too pungent
Imagine the smell really like the smoke of a campfire but in the most positive way possible.
As the fragrance develops, you smell the smoky and woody undertone, you smell a warm and slightly sweet scent that makes you feel warm to the heart

Memories from the past
When I was looking for fragrances around my registration at Parfumo, a category came to my mind, which I absolutely wanted to test. You could call it bar/alternal club fragrances. Because the thought of a mixture of tobacco, alcoholic notes and spice sounded interesting and worth testing. Representatives of this category were named a few, which I then took a little broader for myself because of the scent pyramids. Thus, besides Tobacco Vanilla, London or Jazz Club, fragrances like Herod were among the desired candidates. Jazz Club in particular also quickly landed in front of my nose as a rehearsal, so I had a starting point.
Unfortunately the scent did not turn out to be what I had in mind and so I put it aside disappointed. My negative/disappointing experience, however, led me to inform myself about the other fragrances in the Replica range. After some research I ended up with the name By the Fireplace. The more I informed myself about the scent, the more I had the feeling that this scent could also disappoint my expectations, because a pure smoking aroma would not be my case. The caution came naturally by the experience with Jazz Club.

A good year later, I checked out the scent again on YT. I took heart and wrote to a great perfume user, with whom I had already made several sample deals, and asked if he would sell me his remaining bottle. He agreed and so I not only made a blind buy, but also had a surprising experience.

Especially when I unpacked the fragrance, because the bottle is a visual enrichment for every collection. It looks like a bottle from a century ago. So trivial and yet filigree that it is almost artistic in its entirety. In addition, the label, which lavishly denounced over the glass, yet was processed so informatively and stylishly and has a wonderful feel to it. The spray head, which may well already count itself among the better ones, was convincing.

By the Fireplace is a fragrance, where so many thoughts and memories shoot through my head from sniffing the spray head. A fragrance that I have smelled before, so that I thought: "You know this one from somewhere". Now an interposed question to our perfume users, has there ever been a fragrance before that was similar to this one ? I have the feeling that I smelled this kind of fragrance two decades ago at my father's house The perfumer has created something here where I inevitably tend to get a better rating just from these memories. Not the original pure incense aroma, which I would have resigned myself to, but a sensual union of delicate incense mist from the campfire, sticks held in there and marshmallows to sweeten the evening for the children. At the beginning the fragrance starts with clouds of smoke, which are not too dark, rather light wood, just freshly lit. According to my association, some burnt nuts still come towards me here, some of which already have dark spots. A change is clearly noticeable here, because the light smoke becomes darker with time, as the wood already forms a carbon-like crust. This doesn't harm the fragrance, because it counteracts with much sweeter notes. What some of my fellow reviewers interpret as a marshmallow, I would describe in contrast to this rather as liquid caramel in admixture with the nuts mentioned at the beginning. Both may be correct, as one is a fine and pleasant sweetness, which gives the fragrance the perfect balance.

Like other fragrances that combine smoke chords, this one has good durability and sillage. Especially in those moments when the smoke aroma still has the upper hand, the fragrance tries to show a decent projection. As soon as the sweetness gets the whole thing under control, the projection sinks a little, but remains on a good level. The shelf life of the fragrance is perfectly adequate. Since I have heard the scent over the time of my work, I would testify a skin-near durability of just over eight hours without any problems.

Again such a fragrance, which like Jo Malone's Blackberry & Bay has given me a number of thoughts and memories. Thanks for that.
By the Marshmallowplace
I smelled this fragrance for the first time today and I am amazed. How did the Nacher manage to make it smell exactly like the situation that gave it its name?! Well, I have an idea
The designers of By the Fireplace have taken an empty room in their laboratory and poured earth on the floor. Then they planted grass seeds and let them grow for several weeks. Then they removed the ceiling and inserted a glass pane to get sun and moonlight. Now that the grass was perfect and fluffy, they dug a spot and put a fireplace with stones/bricks around it in the middle.

After they had set up the fireplace, they invited a group of 5-7 good friends into this room and presented them with marshmallows and garden chairs. These friends enjoyed themselves at this campfire until the early morning hours. They grilled some delicious s'mores, created even bigger memories and laughed all night long.

Here, I think, the designer of By the Fireplace (Marie Salamagne) took a zip-lock plastic bag to wave it around the room. In this bag she could contain laughter, memories, moonlight, warm marshmallows, smoky burning twigs and melting chocolate. She took this bag and brought it straight to the laboratory where it became the fragrant nectar of the gods that I smelled in this decanter today.

This scent put me in exactly this situation as soon as I smelled it. I have no doubt, this is the ONLY way this scent could have been created.

Winter's Favorite
This is probably my favorite fragrance for the month of December and January here in Montreal. I love how it smells exactly like smoke coming from a fire. It is still pretty sweet so watch out with the sprays. I love everything about it, even the presentation. The Replica line has probably my favorite style of bottles in the designer world .I just wish the bottle had a cap somehow.
More sweetness than smoke
First of all:
I love smoky scents, like Aesop Hwyl or Mississippi Medicine. The description and the bottle made me very curious and so I bought a small bottling in the souk
Now I'm glad it was just this small amount. The smoke is there at the beginning, but not dominant. The smoke note is pleasant and actually reminds of a burning campfire (whereas other scents often remind more of cold smoke and ashes). Immediately, however, the fruity and vanilla sweetness is noticeable, which then gains the upper hand and never fades away.
I find the scent very pleasant and see it more with women (my wife thinks so too), for me it unfortunately does not fulfil the expectation. Probably I got too much used to it after years of Islay Whisky consumption..

Such a beautiful scent!
This is delicious. I really like this scent.It smells like fireplace with a spicy. Vanilla is the best touch in this perfume. The smell of wood coming from the fire by the fireplace on a winter night!
Nuance4Massi
Campfire, excitement and some sweet snacks
As already mentioned several times, "By the Fireplace" really smells as if one had spent a nice evening at the campfire and "burned" marshmallows and other sweet treats over the fire. So very smoky in campfire style but on the other hand nice sweet gourmand and really tasty. The campfire smoky and the sweet gourmand marshmallow-like harmonize really well with each other so that you can wear this fragrance well, No, VERY well, but you have to like smoky fragrances.

Find that if you close your eyes, you could really sit straight by the campfire and let marshmallows turn gold. The only thing missing is the crackling and an exciting story that a buddy tells.

H/S in my opinion good, on my skin about 8-9h with sport!

You really must have smelled something, even if you only get one bottling. Recommendation goes out! :)

Lg your massif ;)
FabianO
Pre-Christmas special edition marshmallows and fine smoky cuddly vanilla
The previous speaker Lacrimalus brings with the marshmallows at the campfire an interesting association to "By the fireplace", the Margiela fragrance actually succeeds in a comfortable balancing act between gourmand "indoors" and rather plant-wilderness-like "outdoors" aromas
The smoky, campfire-like quality is present, but actually very finely and elegantly woven into the aroma.

The basic theme is a special edition marshmallow arranged in a somewhat pre-Christmas style, which integrates a spice note (especially clove and chestnut) into the usual vanilla-floury sweetness, again with a subtle, slightly tart juniper underlay to counterbalance the basic sweetness
The pure vanilla appears a little later more clearly, peels out after a good half hour and is qualitatively good, natural, cuddly.

Pleasant creation, ideal for the period between October and March.
Emotions of the past
By the Fireplace (2015) is a smoky-sweet perfume that smells like you're sitting around a campfire, grilling marshmallows over the fire. The scent is complex and starts out smoky. The association with a campfire where roasted chestnuts and marshmallows are grilled is immediately there. In the further course of the fragrance changes into a cosy, slightly burnt vanilla. The smoky note appears in all phases of the fragrance and envelops you in a beautiful warmth. It is a lovely fragrance with enough sweetness to satisfy you, but also enough darkness to make you feel mysterious and refined. The eau de toilette has a shelf life of a good eight hours on my skin with a strong silage in the first 120 minutes -------------------
Conclusion: This fragrance is pure magic. Probably a top five fragrance of all time. He manages to arouse emotions and memories of my childhood and youth in me, which in turn create only a few perfumes ------------
scent 10/10
Longivity 8/10
Sillage 7,5/10
————————————
Too authentic?
In the first moment I was fascinated by the scent, because the description of the fragrance is really well done.
It smells authentically of burning wood, a campfire And if you just sniff it once on the paper, you'll like it too.
But on the skin... several hours... that's something else.

One really smells (for oneself also well perceptible) of burning wood, and I personally didn't want that anymore after a few moments.
At this point I don't know whether the scent is bad or very good, so I save myself an evaluation of the scent itself and judge only the rest.
Because for a change the name is really fitting and not just an advertising gag, on the other hand the performance is really good.
So is it Maison Margiela's fault that I don't like him and he is very special?
To sum up, most of the fragrances in the Replica series are very special & unique...and so it is to be hoped that the brand will continue to experiment.
Personally, I don't think that many people would like the scent in the long run.
But I still think it's good he exists.

Ahmetk96Ahmetk96 34 days ago
Very nice and warm fragrance. Good for cold weather.
Its smell like burning wood.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 143 days ago
This one surprised me. A great Smokey (almost vetiver-like) vanila and chestnut scent. Great for fall and winter days and nights. Very cozy!
DarkbeatDarkbeat 152 days ago
Amazing, it is so endearing, like the hug of a loved one that we have not seen for years and we find it suddenly, warm and homely, beautiful
MeursaultMeursault 7 months ago
Good opening but overly sweet drydown. More like roasted chestnuts smells like ''Marron glacè'' with a hint of smoke, very very sweet.
FranknSenseFranknSense 13 months ago
A dark balsamic vanilla may be the correct environment for love, Christmas and love during Christmas by the fireplace. I love its smokiness.
PioPio 15 months ago
Spicy and warm winter scent. Lovely.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 15 months ago
Nice dark vanilla, seasoned with precious woods, smoke, and balsam. It's not consensual but I find it very alluring and so does my wife.
ItchynoseItchynose 18 months ago
Evocative, warm, smokey and mesmerizing like the flickering embers of wood burned on a bonfire.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 22 months ago
Gorgeous cozy scent. Only trolls think that this is similar to Armani Stronger with you
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Fine resinous balsamic fragrance. As if the resins were just lit, and the smoke has not yet managed to develop fully.

by GilAroma
by Riceboy
by Pltnbrutha
by Pltnbrutha

Popular Maison Margiela

Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela (untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Promenade in the Gardens by Maison Margiela Replica - Flower Market by Maison Margiela