Replica - By the Fireplace 2015

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela
Replica - By the Fireplace is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is smoky-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Eau des Missions

Top Notes Top NotesClove, Orange blossom, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesGaiac wood, Chestnut, Canary Islands juniper
Base Notes Base NotesCashmeran, Peru balsam, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 20.10.2020.

Authentic
After the time of the year comes for me, when I would like to wear this fragrance, I thought that it deserves a comment..

I still remember the moment about 5 years ago, when I happened to smell this perfume in a perfumery, and I couldn't imagine, for the life of me, that you would want to smell like that.

Last year, while Christmas shopping, I smelled my way through all the perfumes in the Replica line, remembered exactly how horrible I found "by the fireplace" in the last test, but gave me a jolt, and tested it again. LUCKY!

By the fireplace starts very, very smoky, as the name suggests. The first minutes it smells almost like the clothes after a day at the campfire. So not everyone's dream smell... I get it. Then slowly this sweetness joins in, which reminds me personally of the smell of burnt almonds. And this mixture of smoke and sweetness is the special one and immediately transports me to a Christmas market where open fire baskets are placed and sweet delicacies are sold.

Durability and sillage are enormous, some days "by the fireplace" is too much of a good thing for me and my bottle probably lasts forever but especially on cold days and when I know I'm outside I love to wear it.
Kima
This smell is an insult!
I've read a lot about him here. But when I got him under the nose of a salesman at the airport, I was really shocked.

How could someone want to smell like that, I thought? Or how can you spray that scent on yourself and not fear that someone might alert the fire department. Or the smoke alarm goes off...

In the first few seconds you really smell authentic pure smoke! Not cigarette smoke, but campfire right under your nose! With that he was directly checked off for me as a perfume.

A few weeks later I received some samples of a perfume. As soon as I entered the hallway, a sweet, smoky and super pleasant, even tasty scent came my way. When I opened the envelope, I realized that one of the tubes had opened and leaked. It was the "At The Fireplace"!

Crazy, how could a fragrance with such a deterrent top note be so delicious at the base? Now I was curious and ordered a bottling. :-)

And what can I say? The smell knocks me out. It's not just because it smells so good. But the kicker is, it's so cleverly designed. Almost like a really good magic trick. Yeah, he's got this brazen look, like a magician, leading the audience behind the light before their amazed eyes. He makes me laugh and looks snotty to me! :-)))

In the beginning is the fire, you almost want to rub your eyes because you feel as if you are wrapped in a cloud of smoke. If you hold your nose to the sprayed skin, it smells exactly like a charred piece of wood! (How do they do that? :-))

But then, when the cloud lifts, what has been conjured up comes to light. No, not a pink elephant, not even a cute white rabbit!

It's a big bowl of candy! It smells warm and deliciously of kramell and vanilla, sinfully sweet! Totally hidden and hardly noticeable, the orange blossom adds a minimal acidity, which makes it even juicier and creamier.

From here on you would like to sit in it and take a bath in it! This combination of this exuberant, delicious sweetness and the fire that continues to blaze beside it is simply so special and unique!
It's a combination you never expected and yet it fits so perfectly. For me, the most surprising fragrance of the year. He is cheeky and mischievous, he tricked me and in the end he conquered my heart!
Warm, pleasant winter scent
I find the fragrance very warm, unobtrusive and special. Many people know it by now, but there are few fragrances that smell similar. For me, the woody notes come out very strongly with the sweetness of burnt marshmallows. With the corresponding Glow Booster it lasts very long and is even warmer

Golcher
Blown away by this fragrance
Maison Margiela is not available in my country so when I planned a trip to Boston last year I decided I’d go to a Sephora to blind buy Jazz Club. I was kind of sick over the hype around By the Fireplace and all the unreal flawless youtube reviews so I had no interest in it specially considering how Jazz Club seemed far more interesting to me. Once at the store I tried every MM tester there was and when I got to By the Fireplace it blew me away like few frags have.

By the Fireplace? Damn right! The first thing that impressed me is how the scent evokes the setting, it’s smokey with a roasted chestnut accord, some burnt wood and vanilla and cloves. This fragrance has it all, amazing scent, a great performance, it’s unique, it’s... a masterpiece

Vanilla, Smoke, Cloves.... Deep
What more can I say that hasn't already been said about Margiela' By the Fireplace?!!! It's just an awesome woody fragrance. Smokey, sweet, and great for fall and winter. If you like deep, rich and well blended fragrances you will definitely enjoy this one. The aromatic accord is great, because it pulls it away from being wet smoke if that makes any sense? The vanilla and the cloves work well in this fragrance. I give this a 10 /10! Wow!
The name says it all
Freshly sprayed the scent of smoky, woody and rather unpleasant smells. This is really but only in the first minute. In the beginning it really smells like in front of a campfire. You could think you are sitting in front of a campfire and smell the burnt wood and breathe in the smoky scent.
But it quickly develops into a very warm, hearty fragrance which is no longer very smoky or too pungent
Imagine the smell really like the smoke of a campfire but in the most positive way possible.
As the fragrance develops, you smell the smoky and woody undertone, you smell a warm and slightly sweet scent that makes you feel warm to the heart

Memories from the past
When I was looking for fragrances around my registration at Parfumo, a category came to my mind, which I absolutely wanted to test. You could call it bar/alternal club fragrances. Because the thought of a mixture of tobacco, alcoholic notes and spice sounded interesting and worth testing. Representatives of this category were named a few, which I then took a little broader for myself because of the scent pyramids. Thus, besides Tobacco Vanilla, London or Jazz Club, fragrances like Herod were among the desired candidates. Jazz Club in particular also quickly landed in front of my nose as a rehearsal, so I had a starting point.
Unfortunately the scent did not turn out to be what I had in mind and so I put it aside disappointed. My negative/disappointing experience, however, led me to inform myself about the other fragrances in the Replica range. After some research I ended up with the name By the Fireplace. The more I informed myself about the scent, the more I had the feeling that this scent could also disappoint my expectations, because a pure smoking aroma would not be my case. The caution came naturally by the experience with Jazz Club.

A good year later, I checked out the scent again on YT. I took heart and wrote to a great perfume user, with whom I had already made several sample deals, and asked if he would sell me his remaining bottle. He agreed and so I not only made a blind buy, but also had a surprising experience.

Especially when I unpacked the fragrance, because the bottle is a visual enrichment for every collection. It looks like a bottle from a century ago. So trivial and yet filigree that it is almost artistic in its entirety. In addition, the label, which lavishly denounced over the glass, yet was processed so informatively and stylishly and has a wonderful feel to it. The spray head, which may well already count itself among the better ones, was convincing.

By the Fireplace is a fragrance, where so many thoughts and memories shoot through my head from sniffing the spray head. A fragrance that I have smelled before, so that I thought: "You know this one from somewhere". Now an interposed question to our perfume users, has there ever been a fragrance before that was similar to this one ? I have the feeling that I smelled this kind of fragrance two decades ago at my father's house The perfumer has created something here where I inevitably tend to get a better rating just from these memories. Not the original pure incense aroma, which I would have resigned myself to, but a sensual union of delicate incense mist from the campfire, sticks held in there and marshmallows to sweeten the evening for the children. At the beginning the fragrance starts with clouds of smoke, which are not too dark, rather light wood, just freshly lit. According to my association, some burnt nuts still come towards me here, some of which already have dark spots. A change is clearly noticeable here, because the light smoke becomes darker with time, as the wood already forms a carbon-like crust. This doesn't harm the fragrance, because it counteracts with much sweeter notes. What some of my fellow reviewers interpret as a marshmallow, I would describe in contrast to this rather as liquid caramel in admixture with the nuts mentioned at the beginning. Both may be correct, as one is a fine and pleasant sweetness, which gives the fragrance the perfect balance.

Like other fragrances that combine smoke chords, this one has good durability and sillage. Especially in those moments when the smoke aroma still has the upper hand, the fragrance tries to show a decent projection. As soon as the sweetness gets the whole thing under control, the projection sinks a little, but remains on a good level. The shelf life of the fragrance is perfectly adequate. Since I have heard the scent over the time of my work, I would testify a skin-near durability of just over eight hours without any problems.

Again such a fragrance, which like Jo Malone's Blackberry & Bay has given me a number of thoughts and memories. Thanks for that.
By the Marshmallowplace
I smelled this fragrance for the first time today and I am amazed. How did the Nacher manage to make it smell exactly like the situation that gave it its name?! Well, I have an idea
The designers of By the Fireplace have taken an empty room in their laboratory and poured earth on the floor. Then they planted grass seeds and let them grow for several weeks. Then they removed the ceiling and inserted a glass pane to get sun and moonlight. Now that the grass was perfect and fluffy, they dug a spot and put a fireplace with stones/bricks around it in the middle.

After they had set up the fireplace, they invited a group of 5-7 good friends into this room and presented them with marshmallows and garden chairs. These friends enjoyed themselves at this campfire until the early morning hours. They grilled some delicious s'mores, created even bigger memories and laughed all night long.

Here, I think, the designer of By the Fireplace (Marie Salamagne) took a zip-lock plastic bag to wave it around the room. In this bag she could contain laughter, memories, moonlight, warm marshmallows, smoky burning twigs and melting chocolate. She took this bag and brought it straight to the laboratory where it became the fragrant nectar of the gods that I smelled in this decanter today.

This scent put me in exactly this situation as soon as I smelled it. I have no doubt, this is the ONLY way this scent could have been created.

Winter's Favorite
This is probably my favorite fragrance for the month of December and January here in Montreal. I love how it smells exactly like smoke coming from a fire. It is still pretty sweet so watch out with the sprays. I love everything about it, even the presentation. The Replica line has probably my favorite style of bottles in the designer world .I just wish the bottle had a cap somehow.
More sweetness than smoke
First of all:
I love smoky scents, like Aesop Hwyl or Mississippi Medicine. The description and the bottle made me very curious and so I bought a small bottling in the souk
Now I'm glad it was just this small amount. The smoke is there at the beginning, but not dominant. The smoke note is pleasant and actually reminds of a burning campfire (whereas other scents often remind more of cold smoke and ashes). Immediately, however, the fruity and vanilla sweetness is noticeable, which then gains the upper hand and never fades away.
I find the scent very pleasant and see it more with women (my wife thinks so too), for me it unfortunately does not fulfil the expectation. Probably I got too much used to it after years of Islay Whisky consumption..

BertolucciKBertolucciK 28 days ago
Realistic smell of roasted chestnuts in the fireplace. Smoky, cozy and sweet with the vanilla. Perfect for the cold days of winter.
GreMuserGreMuser 91 days ago
Do really people want to smell like this? I really don't understand the hype, to me it's a sweet mess.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 8 months ago
This one surprised me. A great Smokey (almost vetiver-like) vanila and chestnut scent. Great for fall and winter days and nights. Very cozy!
DarkbeatDarkbeat 9 months ago
Amazing, it is so endearing, like the hug of a loved one that we have not seen for years and we find it suddenly, warm and homely, beautiful
MeursaultMeursault 10 months ago
Good opening but overly sweet drydown. More like roasted chestnuts smells like ''Marron glacè'' with a hint of smoke, very very sweet.
FranknSenseFranknSense 17 months ago
A dark balsamic vanilla may be the correct environment for love, Christmas and love during Christmas by the fireplace. I love its smokiness.
PioPio 19 months ago
Spicy and warm winter scent. Lovely.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 19 months ago
Nice dark vanilla, seasoned with precious woods, smoke, and balsam. It's not consensual but I find it very alluring and so does my wife.
ItchynoseItchynose 21 months ago
Evocative, warm, smokey and mesmerizing like the flickering embers of wood burned on a bonfire.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Gorgeous cozy scent. Only trolls think that this is similar to Armani Stronger with you

by GilAroma
by Riceboy
by Linusmart
by Linusmart

Popular Maison Margiela

Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela (untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela Replica - Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Flower Market by Maison Margiela Replica - Promenade in the Gardens by Maison Margiela