Replica - By the Fireplace (2015)

Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela

Replica - By the Fireplace is a popular perfume by Maison Margiela for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is smoky-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesClove, Orange blossom, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesGaiac wood, Chestnut, Prickly cedar
Base Notes Base NotesCashmeran, Peru balsam, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 23.10.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

TRehf
Roasted chestnuts surrounded by marshmellows
Background story:

There is no extensive background story: I tried it. I liked it. I picked it up the other day.

Things about By the Fireplace that come in my mind:

- name fits perfectly and captures the intended scenario: campfire (smoky), roasted (chest)nuts, marshmellows, sweet, slightly fruity, cozy, warm, inviting, intimate, unique but easy to like
- for autumn and mild winterdays, maybe appropriate on spring evenings as well
- I would recommend casual wear preferably. Could work wonders on a second or third date as well.
- I would wear 3-4 sprays on average but not more than 5.

Scent:
- starts off quite smoky (BBQ-ish), but the smoke tones down after 5 mins while never really fading away
- chestnuts and vanilla start to take over control after 5 min till the end of lifetime
- some fruity nuances are detectable every here and there during the lifetime of the fragrance

subjective rating: 8
I really do like the scent, especially after the first 5-10 mins when the gourmandish notes start to shine. However, By the fireplace is not in my Top 10 favorite fragrances either. It is a strong Like that sometimes flirts with the Love-Category.

objective rating: 7.5
I do see myself not to far away from the average person. However, some peoply might shy away from the smoky opening. Although there are some gourmandish elements, I don't see this fragrance beeing a gourmand as well as I don't those elements off-putting to some people as other gourmand fragrances sometimes do.

Longevity:

I usually get 8...8.5h of longevity which is good for a sweet fragrance but not impressive either. I want to mention that I seem to get nose-blind to this fragrance after 2 ... 3h. So I tested the longevity over night and it was still there the next morning.

rating: 8

Sillage:

I do notice the fragrance quite strongly for the first 2h. However, as I mentioned before, I do get nose-blind to that fragrance even if I try smelling it closer to the skin while it is still there. From the reactions of others I would expect that the sillage stays for 3 ... 3.5h.

Rating: 7

Bottle/Packaging:
I do find the whole concept of the replica line fantastic. I do like the creativity that Maison Margiela put in their scents as well as in their labels. There is only one downside in my opinion: the missing cap. I don't understand why some brands don't have caps on their products. For example: I'm travelling a lot and of course I do want to take one or two fragrances with we. For me, it's a reason to not take a fragrance on a trip if there is a risk that it sprays accidentally in my luggage.

rating: 8 (9 minus 1 because of the missing cap)

8.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Marshmallows at the campfire
My impression:
At the beginning I meet a rather intense cloud of smoke and sweetness, which spontaneously reminds me of marshmallows at the campfire; roasted on the stick, and maybe I have held them a little too deep over the fire and they are a little fired up, but inside still wonderfully sweet and nicely liquid.
In the process more and more vanilla comes through, the smoky note steps into the background. The campfire only glows, the evening slowly gets cooler. The scent becomes flattering and very soft, as if one would snuggle up closely at the campfire. Almost romantic ;)

Shelf life:
The smell sticks now already over 9h at my forearm, I am impressed.

Sillage:
The first 2h quite strong, afterwards rather close to the body to smell.

Conclusion:
An exciting, smoky-sweet fragrance, which I immediately associate with a pleasant feeling. H+S are also good, therefore: clear recommendation!

Dawid
The noble and elegant version of Stronger with you by Emporio Armani and Oud Save the Kind Mix
Very pleasant vanilla smoke scent, although the smoky touch is rather soft and well received.
Easily reminiscent of Oud Save the King and a mixture of Stronger with you by Emporio Armani in a light version with an incredible H/S.
Really mega pleasant fragrance and not disturbing.
Opening is rather fruity sweet and the smokiness gets through quickly, but does not take over.
So if you want to smell discreetly sweet with an elegant smoky note, you are welcome here.
Many female compliments ;)
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

DerDefcon
I don't know if I want to smell it like that.
A good question I ask myself in the commentary title. The scent surprises and impresses me. It's extremely authentic, you don't notice anything about synthetics and the way it sniffs, I think it's good to see it as a niche product.
All right, fellas. We are all hungry, it is slowly getting dark and somebody has to start the fire now. So, quick feet, because we're hungry. So I come directly and without much digression to the description of this fragrance.

The prelude turns out to be a pure campfire with all its smokiness, which one despises so much on one's clothes as soon as one arrives home and hangs them over the hanger. My coat and trousers are first hung in the cool utility room to air out. Exactly this is the prelude of this fragrance and so it hits the name "By the Fireplace" more than fitting. My goodness, if that's true, that's authentic. I close my eyes and don't even have to try to imagine that I'm sitting at a campfire. But now I think again a little more factually pragmatic. I'm wondering if I really want to smell like that. My answer to that is a clear no. I don't want to smell a bonfire of smoke. No way. I am accordingly glad when the chestnut joins the smoke. This one smells like it's just roasted over the fire. It also smells incredibly authentic and provides a nice spice. A little later this is supplemented by vanilla, which finally gives us a sweetness that reduces the strong smokiness a little. The vanilla harmonizes perfectly with the chestnut and thus a sweet-spicy aroma is formed, which is slightly smoky underlined. The vanilla becomes stronger and stronger from minute to minute and the fragrance becomes really delicious.

Why won't I get this scent? It's pretty simple.

The time at which the chestnut and vanilla begin is simply too late for me. The brutally smoky top note dominates over too long a period and gives my fellow men the impression that they just sat around the campfire for too long. That may be incredibly authentic and skilled, but I don't want to smell like that. If vanilla and chestnut were to come into their own earlier, I wouldn't have any problems with the extraordinary top note. I still rate the fragrance well, because it has a very interesting, if not quite my taste, course and in the end becomes incredibly good. For an eau de toilette, by the way, the durability is extremely remarkable. It almost sticks to you. The Sillage is also reasonable, but fortunately - especially with a smoky scent - not too strong.

Conclusion: Perfume art due to incredible authenticity.
8.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

a winter night in
if your date is coming over on a cold winter night, spray this on.
spray it in your room.
spray it on your bed sheets.
this is exactly what it says it is. chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
vanilla cookies baking from the kitchen. utter cozy sweetness.
and this is all in the dry down -- after the smokey blast of burning cedar.
if Burberry London for Men is the festive going out scent for Christmas parties,
then Maison Margiela Replica - By the Fireplace is the stay-at-home scent for watching The Santa Clause

PS - as long as there's snow on the ground, this scent will do wonders.
9.0 8.0 10.0 9.5/10

Basti87
Beautiful smoky vanilla with a cuddly base
My latest achievement and probably the last heavy artillery for this winter. Soon you can think again about what you want to wear to spring. But since we are still in the middle of winter, this scent still fits fully into the current events.
Maison Margiela is a great brand that is of high quality and not so expensive. I have tested Jazz Club, which may also be bought and the women's fragrance Lipstick on, which is also great. Several tests of other fragrances of this brand will follow.
By the fireplace was more of a blind buy. This fragrance is indicated as a twin fragrance at Stronger with you by Emporio Armani. I can't say after tests that it's a twin, but it's going a lot in that direction. Especially the vanilla chestnut base. Since I'm looking for more of an alternative than a twin, that's quite convenient for me. Also the name and the pyramid seemed very exciting to me. So: Bought in the offer at Flaconi for about 80 Euro a 100ml. A fair price for this high quality fragrance.

The bottle's really pretty. The color of the fragrance looks already very tasty and matching the fragrance. The label's really off the hook. The Replica line all have such beautiful old school labels with typewriter look. The bottle is simple. Only the missing lid is a minus point. This could have been made more beautiful.
Especially at the opening he lives up to his name. That's pretty smoky. Not unpleasant, but more like a beautiful campfire or the romantic fireplace. In addition there are chestnuts and vanilla, which gain the upper hand stronger and stronger in the heart and base. The start is in any case very original smoky, spicy but also very gentle. The longer the scent is on the skin, the softer it becomes. Soft wood, chestnut and vanilla become presenter and presenter. Perfect for dirty days in autumn and winter. The wearing comfort on colder days is very pleasant and always a great warming companion. The base is simply very cuddly with lots of vanilla, soft wood and also balsamic hints. The smoky one from the opening is easily settling and there remains a nice soft scent, which should find few enemies. Personally, I like this DNA extremely much and I feel well accompanied on grey days and cool nights.
I also tested the performance extensively. Also a sprayer has a good Sillage and radiates well. The fragrance DNA is not too intrusive and penetrating and you can take about 4 sprayers without hesitation. The durability is a real bomb. I've come to about 15 hours. Almost too much. On clothing certainly even longer.

The fragrance is best suited for an evening on the couch with your partner or date. But it is also good for evening and leisure events in the cold season. It is also suitable for everyday use because it is not too penetrating. Always a charming companion.
Unisex is absolutely justified. If you want to smell of smoky vanilla with an extremely gentle base, you should test or buy it. I can only recommend this one.
9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

DerOlli
Smoked winter sweater in pretty bottles
That's what I call an opening: campfire romance in the forest while grated vanilla sticks over the fire in the air die away to small olfactory sparks and the waffle iron runs at full speed. Very big cinema and very close to the diligence to permanently refill logs.

As soon as the force of the smoke dims on my skin after about an hour and gradually fades into the background, the most cuddly and cuddly winter sweater for me appears. My previous reference to "cuddly scents", as I call them - Oud save the King by Atkinsons, has, in my opinion, outstripped the rank. Margiela sprayed on bears the danger of forgetting the coat.

A great fragrance with authenticity and good performance in terms of durability and sillage.

Earthy, calming, warming and caressing. For oneself and for all living beings in the immediate vicinity. Beautiful "thing" and definitely worth a test if you want to look at the characteristic "smoky" from a different perspective and are not averse to a certain sweetness.
5.0 8.0 10.0 6.5/10

Heroes of everyday life
This fragrance does not make giant leaps, but some things can be called hoppers.
Just like that, from a standing position, not really acrobatic, but quite agile. And unforeseen.
I enter a kitchen-cum-living-room in the style of the 1950s, the cupboards, which accommodate the dishes, are made of pastel-coloured covered wood, with sliding doors and inside all kinds of shelves... space-saving and practical. The stove in a corner, already electric, next to it a small heating stove with a small stack of brickets for reheating and some wood. At the top an iron stove plate with a removable lid, in which you can sink the heaters without making a lot of dust. A Kannapee and chairs and tables also stand in this kitchen, in the charm of a mixed interior.
Sometimes there is some coffee or tea on the stove plate to keep it warm. Sometimes Grandma puts an orange on a plate on the stove to evaporate its scent and to dispel the cooking odors.
And at autumn time a whole bag of collected nuts is cracked in this kitchen, ground to coarser nut powder in a coffee mill, for cakes, already in stock.
And sometimes the old stove spreads cokey smells when the wood is slightly damp or the coal is not glowing properly as it should.
But quickly the lady or the gentleman of the house is on the spot, hurries nimbly into the room and activates the vibrating grate under the oven door. Sometimes the "peephole" at the top is opened, and armed with a poker, the embers are properly distributed inside to put an end to the "coke", it can glow quietly, and the smoke can disappear through a thick stovepipe in the fireplace. To get out of the chimney at the top.
And in the kitchen there is a cosy "everyday scent - all sorts", which is not always the same, but often very similar.
And no great leaps like the family that has made the kitchen a favourite place...
8.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10

Schoork
Reality catches up with you very quickly
Originally: At Müngersdorferstadion
Provenance & Period: Cologne 2017
Fragrande Description: burned pyros and gaff Kölsch
Hennes
Cologne
I've never smelled a more authentic coked smoke in a perfume like this before. Immediately after qualifying for the Euro League, he sets himself free, together with a bit of meadow and a slightly sweet Geissbock leather. Later this Kölsch becomes more dominant, the smoke disappears into the background and the Höhner come to what keeps the team stable.
The whole thing lasts for a very long time, you think at some point that you actually celebrated the European Cup in the stadium.

That's great... for now.

Or also...

Originally: At Pommes Peter
Provenance & Period: Ruhrpott 1995
Fragrande Description: fried fries and fried onions
Alfred Spangler
Food

Hach....I could continue that now, but that would blow the frame.

What is the author trying to tell us?

When do you wear that?

Originally: by the Fireplace
Provenance & Period: Chamonix 1971
Fragrande Description: burnt wood and chestnut
Maison Margiela
Paris

Well that doesn't just sound interesting, it actually is.
The Replica series is supposed to reflect the smell of a certain place, a certain situation, you know that and there I tell nothing new. After the Jazzclub this is the second of the series that I got to know and in fact this is very well modeled.

I've never smelled a more authentic coked smoke in a perfume like this before. Immediately after spraying on, it sets itself free, together with a few spices and a slightly sweet chestnut, which is also still warm. Later this chestnut becomes more dominant, it gets a little medical, the smoke disappears into the background and the vanilla is added to keep the sweetness stable.
The whole thing lasts for a very long time, too, one thinks at some point that the day before one actually roasted chestnuts on an open fire.

That's great... for now.
Reality catches up with you very quickly.

With it everything is actually said concerning the smell.

But when do you wear it when you're not sitting in a ski hut in front of a fireplace?
Anyone who has ever sat in front of an open fire knows how the clothes smell like smoke the next day. In the office they would ask me if I was pyromaniac in my spare time.
At festive events also quite inappropriate.
Only a walk in autumn/winter would be imaginable, in winter for the Christmas market or just cuddling in front of the fireplace, on a bearskin, but I don't want to go into that now.

The above example shows that you could put countless situations in a bottle, but you can only carry it then.
Reality catches up with you very quickly.

Maybe I'm too unimaginative. He arrives with ladies also apparently a Tacken better, perhaps see these more possibilities.

I ordered a bottling and I think I can handle it very well. Thanks a lot to Lilalinchen.

Conclusion:
Actually a very well made fragrance with limited application possibilities for me.
8.0 8.0 10.0 9.0/10

Spicy, medical, delicious!
I am punished with a nose that does not perceive smoking notes in perfumes as smoking notes. What I smell directly here is instead of a campfire note, a slightly medical rubber glove note. This may sound disgusting, but wait a minute! I am a great Scotch friend and I like peaty whiskies best. Laphroaig whiskies, for example, have a strong medicinal character combined with a soft, sweet vanilla note. I feel similar to By The Fireplace. I smell this intense hospital smell, but it marries spices, chewing gum and heavy vanilla (such a dusty, heavy vanilla as in "Memoirs of a Trespasser" by Imaginary Authors) to create a wonderful scene where you feel comfortable and I would like to stay. The smoke (or in my case the medical note) recedes bit by bit, leaving a soft, sweet, spicy aftertaste that lasts for hours. A true work of art.
9.0 8.0 10.0 8.0/10

Nayeli
Marshmallows, roasted over the campfire............................................... daintily
No fragrance has taken me so long to consider buying it as "By the Fireplace". But at the airport I hit him and took him with me.
I admit that at the current temperatures of 36°C and more it is not exactly suitable, but of course I had to try it first. With new fragrances I just can't hold back.

By the Fireplace starts directly pleasantly sweet. There's vanilla, which you can also recognize, but I think it still has something of a great warm caramel and/or roasted marshmallow note. In addition, one immediately recognizes the chestnut (well chestnut itself I would not have recognized, but one recognizes the nut note). It doesn't make the fragrance too sweet.
A short time later, however, the fragrance becomes much spicier and smokier. Really reminds of a smoky campfire or a burning fireplace. When I stood so next to my mother she actually said something was burning in the neighborhood. So it really smells like a burning fire at that time, and although you should expect it from its name ("By the Fireplace"), I didn't think it would be captured so faithfully. To be honest, this fireplace/ campfire note is almost too much for me and gives me a slight headache. Shortly before I'm about to wash my arm off, this smoky note fades away and the beautiful, powdery sweet notes of vanilla and roasted marshmallow come out again. Instead of the chestnut note above, the woody-sweet note of cashmeran now resonates. I like the base very much.

The durability of By the Fireplace is really great and I can recognize it the next day. Especially if it was sprayed on clothes, you can still smell it days later.
I'm looking forward to being able to use this great scent in winter, because I think that it can be interpreted better in the cold temperatures than in these hot summer temperatures.
I will certainly also look at the one or other replica fragrance
8.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

By The Fireplace
Since I made my review of By The Fireplace, I have since acquired L'Artisan's Noir Exquis. I find the Margiela in the same vein as NE, and I go into detail in my review...I hope you enjoy.

10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Yharnam79
JimJim Raggedi Baggedi Bossadi Novadi! Wa! Di! Wa! Di! Wa!
Dear Reader,
lean back and relax, because if you are allowed to believe your friends and acquaintances, I am difficult to stop when it comes to the topic "tent camp". So I'm already thanking you for hanging on.

At the age of 11 I went to the camp for the first time. Really oldschool, without running water with thunderbolts as toilets and with a campfire every evening, during which songs were smashed out of the tent camp folder - of course with several guitars. Terrain and night terrain games, night watch and banner theft due to raids from other tent camps, camp Olympics and so much more where it it itches my fingers to accommodate it...
There in this tent camp I spent two weeks of each summer with about 90 other young people between 8 and 17 years. Every year they met there again, even if they lived so far away from each other, that for the most part they only saw each other there and within these two weeks of the year. But the fact that they saw each other there was an unwritten law for most of the approx. 90 young people. Up to the age of 17 I drove now every summer as a so-called "camprist", then from the age of 18 I "ascended" to the "Vorkommando", i.e. to the supervisors. All of them former campers, whom one had known for years, with some of whom one had spent many years in the camp and with whom one then spent these three weeks of summer there. As a pre-commando they were already there a week before the young people to set up the campground, to lift the thunder beams, to beat and erect the banner mast and last but not least to celebrate. I did the whole thing for another 8 summers.
And yes, those were those special summers and experiences. Every single one. These summers, which are still being reviewed today (which I find bitter now) as the late thirties so often and so gladly in my mind...
To the campfire: as a rule the days were, quasi on free field, megaheiß. And every day there was a tent with the task of cutting and setting up the wood for the evening campfire. Almost as unpopular as the kitchen service without running water and after being cooked in giant pots for a mere 100 people in the kitchen tent. There were even more unpopular tasks. The respective tent with the most minus points in terms of cleanliness had to add the boys' and girls' thunder beams at the end of the camp.
Back to the campfire again. This smell there in the forest during the afternoon heat and while searching for and hitting the firewood and then following it the smell of the campfire which became hot in the sun and "sweating" even before the actual ignition is one of the most beautiful and perhaps also most erotic and masculine (nature) smells at all for my feeling. Of course this (in my case not least) has to do with the links.

When I first sprayed by The Fireplace, my camp reminder drawer was immediately open. I didn't just have to think about it for a moment, I had all kinds of pictures in my head. And the campfire. I had it in my head and especially in my nose. Of course not THAT or a "real" campfire. But damn close. It's enough for the memory drawer every time I spray this scent. This campfire is also mixed with other nuances, which give the whole something smooth and surprisingly unsmoky, without the campfire romanticism too much to superimpose or even destroy. Vanilla and also Cashmeran embed themselves here unbelievably well, without cheating themselves into the foreground.
In summary, this would be a warm-creamy campfire wood that is currently being ignited.

Oh well, I had already mentioned how hot it was most of the time in these summers; I'm not going to spend the thunderstorm nights with a flooded campground and sleeping of the whole camp in the 80-man-tent, because otherwise I'd never get to the end again. I can imagine very well how grandiose By The Fireplace is in the cooler and colder seasons. I discovered it in summer and I'm wearing it while I'm writing and currently at 32 degrees in Hamburg. I find it pleasant and wearable in all temperatures and I don't feel "dressed too thick". So I am very excited about autumn and winter. Perhaps then the fireplace association will also come into being, which, however, I am not missing in any way.
And even apart from my tent camp connections, By The Fireplace remains one of the most beautiful wooden scents I know of. Although I had written something about masculinity in connection with the smell of fire earlier, By the Fireplace is absolutely unisex.
for me
In conclusion, I would like to say again: I have rarely been so much ingested by a fragrance right from the first spray. I was right at home with this scent - and he with me.

For the sake of completeness and in honour of the many, many summers with the advance command only the camp battle cry:
is missing now
"JimJim Raggedi Baggedi Bossadi Novadi!
Wa! Di! Wa! Di! Wa!
JimJim Raggedi Baggedi Bossadi Novadi!
Wa! Di! Wa! Di! Wa!
JimJim Raggedi Baggedi Bossadi Novadi!
Ibbi! Bye! Ibbi! Tscha!
Ibbi Ibbi Ibbi Ibbi! Tscha Tscha Tscha!
Uh!
Fear not!"
7.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Syzygy73
Sweet chestnuts roasting on an open fire
This is unusual and yet so strikingly familiar. There's a perfect balance of sweet chestnut, bitter flinty coal and smoky charcoal. It smells almost exactly like a wood fire with something sweet thrown in, almost to the point that you imagine yourself at home at Christmas watching Jimmy Stewart's faith being restored. This isn't as warm as Clarence's angelic wisdom but it's comforting and just lovely.

FranknSense 134 days ago
A dark balsamic vanilla may be the correct environment for love, Christmas and love during Christmas by the fireplace. I love it.+4
Pio 7 months ago
Spicy and warm winter scent. Lovely.+2
9.0
Carlitos01 7 months ago
Nice dark vanilla, seasoned with precious woods, smoke, and balsam. It's not consensual but I find it very alluring and so does my wife.+4
Itchynose 9 months ago
Evocative, warm, smokey and mesmerizing like the flickering embers of wood burned on a bonfire.+1
10.0
JoaoMartins 13 months ago
Gorgeous cozy scent. Only trolls think that this is similar to Armani Stronger with you+1
9.0
Hermesh 4 years ago
Fine resinous balsamic fragrance. As if the resins were just lit, and the smoke has not yet managed to develop fully.+1

by Piepmatz
by Toreter
by Whadelse89
by Whadelse89

Popular Maison Margiela

(untitled) by Maison Margiela Replica - Jazz Club by Maison Margiela Replica - By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela Replica - Lipstick On by Maison Margiela Replica - Beach Walk by Maison Margiela (untitled) l'eau by Maison Margiela Replica - Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela Replica - At the Barber's by Maison Margiela Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning by Maison Margiela Replica - Funfair Evening by Maison Margiela Mutiny by Maison Margiela Replica - Across Sands by Maison Margiela Replica - Tea Escape by Maison Margiela Replica - Under The Lemon Trees by Maison Margiela Replica - Sailing Day by Maison Margiela Replica - Flower Market by Maison Margiela Replica - Music Festival by Maison Margiela Replica - Dancing on the Moon by Maison Margiela Replica - Promenade in the Gardens by Maison Margiela Replica - Flying by Maison Margiela