Aoud Cafe (2013)

Aoud Cafe by Mancera

Aoud Cafe is a popular perfume by Mancera for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is gourmand-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Peach, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmber, Floral notes, Coffee
Base Notes Base NotesGourmand notes, Oud, White musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.07.2020.

Condorpilot1
Aoud Cafe and the deceptive scent pyramid
Meanwhile, among the gourmands, I find the coffee scents as the almost cuddliest scents. I myself only own one bottling of Mancera Aoud Cafe. One coffee scent that I appreciate and also own is Montale Ristretto Intense Cafe, about which I have already written a comment. Ristretto Intense Cafe is what I call a "top note blender", because the top note is really wonderful with the strong roasted coffee aromas but fades away after a short time to a much too sweet vanilla-sugar-honey-mixture with a touch of cappuccino. So the conclusion for me was that Ristretto does not keep what the name promises.

With Mancera Aoud Cafe I naturally hoped that it would be a perfume that would make the coffee notes last much longer. The first time I sprayed it, of course, it immediately became clear that it was primarily about coffee. For me it smells about as if a coffee machine would just roast the beans fresh and process them to a (not too strong) black coffee. Those who love coffee will surely enjoy the start. Now the top note here says that you will find bergamot, peach and black currant. However, my nose cannot perceive all these three components. Instead, I smell a plum, perhaps soaked in a little rum, and a hint of fig. The light fruit sweetness harmonises beautifully in the background in the top note, but is by no means dominant. Over the next few minutes, coffee, together with woody nuances, comes more to the fore and gives the impression that, fortunately, Mancera here presents the coffee notes much more pronounced and longer than with Montale Ristretto. Personally, I like that quite a bit. In any case, I can't perceive quite as much of oud, at least it's not an "aggressive" stinky oud, but very soft woods.

After a good 45 minutes, however, disillusionment increasingly sets in. The so-called "gourmet notes" from the base penetrate. For my nose, these gourmet notes are an alternating combination of vanilla, roasted nuts (maybe walnut) and - unfortunately once again - too much sugar. It's as if Montale and Mancera had both started a co-production here and copied each other. There's that honey note again, which penetrates for a few minutes and not only completely sweetens the coffee, but almost completely displaces it. This way it stays long for the rest of the fragrance. A pity. I can't classify Aoud Cafe as a "top note blender", because at least coffee is perceptible all along the line, even if the base note is relatively weak.

The durability on my skin is quite decent with a good 8 hours, the sillage is not too strong. As a date fragrance I could well imagine Aoud Cafe. Compared to Ristretto Intense Cafe, I like Mancera Aoud Cafe better but not much better. If Mancera had made these "gourmet" notes less pronounced and simply made the base note darker, I would probably even like it. Mancera could have gone its own way here and brought a much more original coffee scent to the market. But because Aoud Cafe is too similar to ristretto in some aspects, they are to a certain extent interchangeable. So for me, the search for an even better coffee scent continues. I can't recommend buying it this way, but would advise you to bottle it first. At Mancera on the website there are small samples to order
Coffee scent for Starbuck fans
As a passionate coffee connoisseur, who is very much involved in the matter and knows the scent of fresh Arabica beans every morning, this scent is unfortunately no revelation.
As the title suggests, the bottle does not contain a black café, but a very sweet and gourmand mixture that all fans of "Double Chocolate Chip Caramel/Turmeric/Pumpkin/Chai Latte" with fat-reduced soy milk at Starbucks could well enjoy. Far away from all irony, the fragrance, which comes across as a flowery-sweet composition slightly underlaid with oud, does not meet my personal taste. There is a coffee-like note throughout, but it is too sweet. After the top note fades away, more spicy tones come to the fore.
Since I would never drink my coffee with coffee, I am probably particularly irritated by the turgid sweetness, which rather nails the smell to the months October-March. In this period I tested it a few times and now it has to go ...
Durability and sillage for an oud fragrance not too bulky. A good 6h I have swaths of it in my nose. I can imagine the scent more on a lady than on a man
All in all, simply not my cup of tea, but a beautiful autumn/winter scent, which I could definitely like in a woman

A bit of coffee/wood/musk
I'm reading different takes on this and another website, about the coffee note. Some are satisfied, some are not.

I am not impressed with the opening because the coffee just seems to be lacking in authenticity, at least to me.

Other fragrances do a lot better job with coffee, I felt like I had to wait about three hours for this to soften up and allow the sweeter notes to take stage and blend well with the musk.

Not until about the third hour does the harshness of the coffee/wood notes settle down and turn into a great aroma that makes me happy.

I did not notice the peach and currant notes listed until I got this scent in the mail. Those notes had me wondering whether this would end up syrupy and too feminine.

No, not feminine and the peach is not in the forefront, just in case you're wondering.

Maybe spring but I'm not sure about summer.......autumn and winter? Yes.

Seems to have good projection.

ColinM
No coffee, no oud, still nice
I don’t get much coffee in here honestly, but I do appreciate the fact Aoud Cafè is not a sweetish, cloying Starbucks-like artificial coffee bomb like most of (allegedly) coffee-based scents. I smell something vaguely reminiscent of dry, roasted coffee beans, actually a more generic sort of earthy-roasted note quite salty, synthetic and musky, somehow ambery and somehow woody, with a hint of dark and sweet licorice feel (I guess the blackcurrant with something else creates that feeling), and a load of Iso E. Overall, this accord feels like an attempt to build that coffee note: it doesn’t really succeed in my opinion, but it smells nice. The same for oud, which I don’t really get, not even the usual Montale’s “synthetic oud”: just a dry, artificial woody note closer to birch wood. Anyway despite being quite far from its name, I can’t say Aoud Cafè smells bad: oddly enough, and perhaps involuntarily, it shows an unexpected and pleasant sort of “contemporary synthetic blackness”, this meaning a kind of “urban-modern” refinement à la Comme des Garçons Black and that type of scents; the notes are a bit different (more salt here, and also something more flowery), but somehow I thought of that. It has a nice, clean, solid and polished smoky-dark gloominess with a nice hint of colorful grace (the floral note), which is quite pleasant to wear. I bet that re-labeled with some nonsense name under one of those whatever trendy-avantgarde brands (like nu_be’s and that segment of niche) it would be more appreciated.

6,5/10

Spicy Gourmand !!!
Mancera Aoud Cafe is not a sweet coffee perfume with the floral note in middle note !!!
This is a must have perfume for gourmand lovers..Lasts almost 9 hours with a decent sillage.
Worth a penny

by Thecombad
by XDiable
by XDiable

Popular Mancera

Lemon Line by Mancera Cedrat Boise by Mancera Red Tobacco by Mancera Aoud Vanille by Mancera Gold Intensitive Aoud by Mancera Aoud Lemon Mint by Mancera Sand Aoud by Mancera Black to Black by Mancera Roses Vanille by Mancera Black Gold by Mancera Black Prestigium by Mancera Aoud Blue Notes by Mancera Instant Crush by Mancera Sicily by Mancera Roses Greedy by Mancera Wild Leather by Mancera Wind Wood by Mancera Wave Musk by Mancera Velvet Vanilla by Mancera Black Line by Mancera