Aoud Café 2013

Aoud Café by Mancera
Aoud Café is a perfume by Mancera for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is gourmand-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPeachPeach
BlackcurrantBlackcurrant
BergamotBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmberAmber
CoffeeCoffee
Base Notes Base NotesOudOud
SandalwoodSandalwood
White muskWhite musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 25.01.2022.

Schallhoerer
One coffee with oud, please!
Mancera and Montale were on my black list for a relatively long time. After several samples of both brands, I had at some point come to the conclusion that Pierre Montale is not a good perfumer. I got rid of this impression only by the Aoud Café of Mancera again.

Mancera, as well as the Montale fragrances, are known for one thing. Synthetics. This is also associated with an above-average high durability, but I've never really warmed up to this kind of perfumery. Synthetics can be used correctly to give fragrances the missing finishing touch. Here it seemed to me with the creations of Mr. Montale but always rather as if the synthetic would not be decorative accessory but the main component of the fragrances.

In search of a coffee fragrance, I am then but again on the brand Mancera stumbled and have made another attempt. And lo and behold, the Mr. Montale can but what. And in this case, even a lot.

The Aoud Café starts on my skin relatively bitter, tart and right in the background with the typical "Montale Oud" DNA, which you have to like. I would argue that Pierre Montale can not create a realistic oud accord. Compared to real oud oils or fragrances that create oud perfectly through accords, Pierre Montale's oud always seems very overdrawn and almost comic-like. So we don't have an authentic smelling oud here, which is not to be expected given the pricing. However, you can identify it as oud. In the opening, we have the medicinal oud here alongside a rather dark, roasted coffee note that reminds me of shoe polish or furniture polish in places. What always bothers me about many coffee scents is the way they try to put the coffee in the center. Often, they just use 5 or 6 spoons too much sugar and we end up in Starbucks with someone trying to put my name on a mug for a coffee that is way too sweet. Am I the only one who always comes up with different names for myself on this? The difference between these coffee scents and Aoud Café is that I find the latter a pleasant compromise between sweetness, roasted aromas and a darker roast. On the bergamot in the top note, by the way, you can safely whistle. I personally can't detect it. The same goes for the peach. What I do detect, however, in the form of a certain dustiness in the background, is the blackcurrant. It complements pleasantly with the medicinal oud accord. There is no real scent progression with Aoud Café. The scent starts as it ends after a little over 8 hours. Towards the end, the oud retreats somewhat and the fragrance ends creamier than it began.

The bottle is typical Mancera standard. Here in my case still with screw thread and rather inferior sprayer. Since the new bottles with magnetic cap and pressure-sensitive sprayers are a clear update.

If there were as many coffee scents as Rose+Oud scents, my heart would skip a beat with happiness. Sadly, though, that's not the case. Therefore, the Aoud Café in the field of coffee fragrances for me so far the most convincing candidate, because it just does not focus on a too sweet coffee. In my comparisons so far, Rochas Man, Follow by Kerosene and Pure Coffee by Mugler have all failed. Only the SM Café by Prin Lomros scored with a nice dark coffee note. However, this was buried under a completely tipsy cherry note (Mon Cheri) and could not develop properly.

Interrupt
" It doesn't work like that ", I hear a male voice next to me. Already the chair at my side is pulled back, a long drink glass parked next to my cup, while a good looking guy slides onto the chair.
"I see they're drinking their mocha without a pastis to go with it, I couldn't stand to watch that any longer."
Annoyed, I raise an eyebrow and immediately hate the fact that his voice sounds rough and seductive. He looks me in the eye and a smile creeps onto his face.
" I've been watching them for a while now, they're hacking away at their tablet while stressed drinking coffee after coffee, take the drink with it and call me Tom."
I smile and ask him with twinkling eyes:
" And what is this universe where aniseed is part of the coffee? "
" This is my world, I invite you to know it. You are welcome to test on my lips, or first like this " he pushes the pastis under my nose. And because he is crazy, but cheeky and charming, I take a sip.
Heavens! I'd forgotten how much I love that licoricey taste. It settles on my tongue and mingles with the bitterness of the coffee, lovely! Afternoons in Marseilles cafés pass me by. A light breeze from the flower stalls in the market wafts over to our bistro table, set in the sun. Friends sit chattering together, coffee cups piled in the middle, and a steamed-up pitcher sits next to pastis glasses....past hours of leisure.
I open my eyes and look directly into Tom's smirking, knowing face. He's so close to me now that I catch his scent, sandalwood and musk, mmh.
"Have dinner with me ," his gaze is strong, I can feel his heat on my skin and say "Yes !".

"Yes !" is what I say, especially to 'Aoud Café' by Mancera. It's a fragrance completely to my taste. It is a gourmand, with a definite coffee note. In the opening, there's bergamot with the coffee, which immediately ensures that the citrus doesn't cause boredom. It smells like you're standing in front of a roastery, malty. So less pleasing than a freshly brewed coffee.
I do not perceive the specified berries at all.
But very, very clearly liquorice comes out ( liquorice, anise) and this combination is really nice and gives a kind of caesura.
However, before this malt / licorice thing runs out of control , musk comes soothing and warm around the corner and provides a long persistence.
The big brother of 'Montale' is more uniform and distinct, while this guy here ( from the same father ) is more maladjusted and lively, quite great !

P.S. I didn't find any oud. Our Oudkenner (Manogi) one floor below also not, that reassures.
A utopia
It's March 2021. Spring is on its way. The Corona pandemic is not yet over. But the number of infections has dropped sharply. Vaccination is taking effect. Medication has also made the virus less terrifying. So people are slowly flocking to the streets and cafés again, especially because it is now possible to sit outside again. Dishes clatter. The smell of freshly ground beans. I sip my latte macchiato and read the latest news. They continue to give reason for hope.

"Aoud Café" was the first fragrance I tested with a little more perfume awareness. At first I found it took some getting used to, as I constantly felt like I had spilled coffee on myself. But after repeated wearing he belongs to my favorite fragrances.

It starts with what for me is quite a strong coffee note, accompanied by fruity notes. I know except the pure essential oil of unroasted coffee beans, which smells quite different, no other coffee fragrance. So I don't have a comparison here. But I agree with other commenters when they say that it is not a jet black strong coffee, but rather a sweeter milder one. However, that doesn't bother me. I find it to be very pleasant.

In the later course, the fruity notes then make themselves somewhat more noticeable. Especially the peach I perceive quite clearly. The coffee portion remains, however, in the foreground.

From oud, sandalwood or musk I notice with Aoud Café little to nothing. At most, the oud is a little hinted at, when at the end of the coffee scent more and more decreases. This fragrance therefore also fails for me as an oud perfume. Also of animalism, which one might expect in view of oud and musk, no trace.

But that doesn't matter. Aoud Café still makes me feel good and awakens longings in me. I actually feel a bit transported to a café where I'm comfortably sipping my coffee and reading the paper. Something I'd like to do again sometime these days. Maybe the utopia I described at the beginning will come true. I would wish it on us.
Condorpilot1
Aoud Cafe and the deceptive scent pyramid
Meanwhile, among the gourmands, I find the coffee scents as the almost cuddliest scents. I myself only own one bottling of Mancera Aoud Cafe. One coffee scent that I appreciate and also own is Montale Ristretto Intense Cafe, about which I have already written a comment. Ristretto Intense Cafe is what I call a "top note blender", because the top note is really wonderful with the strong roasted coffee aromas but fades away after a short time to a much too sweet vanilla-sugar-honey-mixture with a touch of cappuccino. So the conclusion for me was that Ristretto does not keep what the name promises.

With Mancera Aoud Cafe I naturally hoped that it would be a perfume that would make the coffee notes last much longer. The first time I sprayed it, of course, it immediately became clear that it was primarily about coffee. For me it smells about as if a coffee machine would just roast the beans fresh and process them to a (not too strong) black coffee. Those who love coffee will surely enjoy the start. Now the top note here says that you will find bergamot, peach and black currant. However, my nose cannot perceive all these three components. Instead, I smell a plum, perhaps soaked in a little rum, and a hint of fig. The light fruit sweetness harmonises beautifully in the background in the top note, but is by no means dominant. Over the next few minutes, coffee, together with woody nuances, comes more to the fore and gives the impression that, fortunately, Mancera here presents the coffee notes much more pronounced and longer than with Montale Ristretto. Personally, I like that quite a bit. In any case, I can't perceive quite as much of oud, at least it's not an "aggressive" stinky oud, but very soft woods.

After a good 45 minutes, however, disillusionment increasingly sets in. The so-called "gourmet notes" from the base penetrate. For my nose, these gourmet notes are an alternating combination of vanilla, roasted nuts (maybe walnut) and - unfortunately once again - too much sugar. It's as if Montale and Mancera had both started a co-production here and copied each other. There's that honey note again, which penetrates for a few minutes and not only completely sweetens the coffee, but almost completely displaces it. This way it stays long for the rest of the fragrance. A pity. I can't classify Aoud Cafe as a "top note blender", because at least coffee is perceptible all along the line, even if the base note is relatively weak.

The durability on my skin is quite decent with a good 8 hours, the sillage is not too strong. As a date fragrance I could well imagine Aoud Cafe. Compared to Ristretto Intense Cafe, I like Mancera Aoud Cafe better but not much better. If Mancera had made these "gourmet" notes less pronounced and simply made the base note darker, I would probably even like it. Mancera could have gone its own way here and brought a much more original coffee scent to the market. But because Aoud Cafe is too similar to ristretto in some aspects, they are to a certain extent interchangeable. So for me, the search for an even better coffee scent continues. I can't recommend buying it this way, but would advise you to bottle it first. At Mancera on the website there are small samples to order
Coffee scent for Starbuck fans
As a passionate coffee connoisseur, who is very much involved in the matter and knows the scent of fresh Arabica beans every morning, this scent is unfortunately no revelation.
As the title suggests, the bottle does not contain a black café, but a very sweet and gourmand mixture that all fans of "Double Chocolate Chip Caramel/Turmeric/Pumpkin/Chai Latte" with fat-reduced soy milk at Starbucks could well enjoy. Far away from all irony, the fragrance, which comes across as a flowery-sweet composition slightly underlaid with oud, does not meet my personal taste. There is a coffee-like note throughout, but it is too sweet. After the top note fades away, more spicy tones come to the fore.
Since I would never drink my coffee with coffee, I am probably particularly irritated by the turgid sweetness, which rather nails the smell to the months October-March. In this period I tested it a few times and now it has to go ...
Durability and sillage for an oud fragrance not too bulky. A good 6h I have swaths of it in my nose. I can imagine the scent more on a lady than on a man
All in all, simply not my cup of tea, but a beautiful autumn/winter scent, which I could definitely like in a woman

A bit of coffee/wood/musk
I'm reading different takes on this and another website, about the coffee note. Some are satisfied, some are not.

I am not impressed with the opening because the coffee just seems to be lacking in authenticity, at least to me.

Other fragrances do a lot better job with coffee, I felt like I had to wait about three hours for this to soften up and allow the sweeter notes to take stage and blend well with the musk.

Not until about the third hour does the harshness of the coffee/wood notes settle down and turn into a great aroma that makes me happy.

I did not notice the peach and currant notes listed until I got this scent in the mail. Those notes had me wondering whether this would end up syrupy and too feminine.

No, not feminine and the peach is not in the forefront, just in case you're wondering.

Maybe spring but I'm not sure about summer.......autumn and winter? Yes.

Seems to have good projection.

ColinM
No coffee, no oud, still nice
I don’t get much coffee in here honestly, but I do appreciate the fact Aoud Cafè is not a sweetish, cloying Starbucks-like artificial coffee bomb like most of (allegedly) coffee-based scents. I smell something vaguely reminiscent of dry, roasted coffee beans, actually a more generic sort of earthy-roasted note quite salty, synthetic and musky, somehow ambery and somehow woody, with a hint of dark and sweet licorice feel (I guess the blackcurrant with something else creates that feeling), and a load of Iso E. Overall, this accord feels like an attempt to build that coffee note: it doesn’t really succeed in my opinion, but it smells nice. The same for oud, which I don’t really get, not even the usual Montale’s “synthetic oud”: just a dry, artificial woody note closer to birch wood. Anyway despite being quite far from its name, I can’t say Aoud Cafè smells bad: oddly enough, and perhaps involuntarily, it shows an unexpected and pleasant sort of “contemporary synthetic blackness”, this meaning a kind of “urban-modern” refinement à la Comme des Garçons Black and that type of scents; the notes are a bit different (more salt here, and also something more flowery), but somehow I thought of that. It has a nice, clean, solid and polished smoky-dark gloominess with a nice hint of colorful grace (the floral note), which is quite pleasant to wear. I bet that re-labeled with some nonsense name under one of those whatever trendy-avantgarde brands (like nu_be’s and that segment of niche) it would be more appreciated.

6,5/10

Spicy Gourmand !!!
Mancera Aoud Cafe is not a sweet coffee perfume with the floral note in middle note !!!
This is a must have perfume for gourmand lovers..Lasts almost 9 hours with a decent sillage.
Worth a penny

by Thecombad
by XDiable
by XDiable

Popular Mancera

Red Tobacco by Mancera Cedrat Boise by Mancera Lemon Line by Mancera Aoud Vanille by Mancera Instant Crush by Mancera Aoud Lemon Mint by Mancera Black Gold by Mancera Roses Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Mancera Aoud Exclusif by Mancera Black to Black by Mancera Gold Intensitive Aoud by Mancera Sand Aoud by Mancera Sicily by Mancera Black Prestigium by Mancera Aoud Blue Notes by Mancera Aoud Orchid by Mancera Wave Musk by Mancera Wind Wood by Mancera Hindu Kush by Mancera Choco Violette by Mancera