Black Pure Black 2009

Black / Pure Black by Mandarina Duck
Black is a perfume by Mandarina Duck for men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Angelini Beauty.

Nathalie Lorson

Tonka beanTonka bean
Base Notes Base NotesAtlas cedarAtlas cedar
Mysore sandalwoodMysore sandalwood
Bourbon vanillaBourbon vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.10.2021.

Best Bang for Your Buck
A Creamsicle is a parfait with a vanilla ice cream heart and a fruit sorbet coating. The classic combination of flavours is orange and vanilla, although we can find many variations on this premise in stores. Frozen fruit juice bars have historically been popular in many cultures, combining frozen sweet juice with creamy vanilla ice cream long before the Creamsicle hit stores. The dessert tastes very creamy with a hint of crunch from the frozen juice coating.

Well, do you believe in coincidences? I finished reading a Mandarina Duck Black review the other day, which was very interesting and inviting. To be tested, I said to myself. So, in the late afternoon, I decided to take a tour of the DM store, known in Germany and now very popular also in Italy. I immediately headed to the perfume department, and it displayed Black to my great surprise, on the shelf of the offers of the month, a super discounted price, the 100ml cost only €19. I sprayed the fragrance on the blotter, and immediately a creamy, spicy, powdery cloud spread in the air; it's much better on the skin. The aroma looks like another perfume I've used in the past without being a copy. It sits in the same ballpark as Le Mâle Eau de Toilette and Gentlemen Only Absolute, to give you an idea, yet not too strong on lavender and orange blossom. It smells more expensive than it costs, and that is amazing.

For me, Black belongs to the oriental-gourmand family and turns out to be sweet, citrusy, powdery and spicy, with the sweetness of coumarin, the powdery tonka and the spiciness of citrus, just a touch. In the background, I receive a chewy, almost burnt note, perhaps from the roasted tonka beans. The black pepper I take is not too strong and balances the Hesperides cocktail well, a mix of sweet mandarin and bright bergamot. Not so sweet, not so floral, not so citrusy, not very vanilla. Each note performs a small role in this story. And the result is simply incredible.

I catch an excellent citrus opening that evolves into a very creamy tonka-vanilla combo, fragmented by zesty flashbacks. After about ten minutes, a creamy sweetness oozes from the heart, something akin to orange Creamsicle or rather butterscotch ice cream. Now the aroma is almost entirely gourmand, with a warm floral touch of tiarè and orange blossom. Tonka is the dominant note, the main protagonist, and here she plays a central role, leaving a space in the vanilla base.

Since the fragrance dries, the bergamot loses part of its initial strength, leaving the tangerine to guide the aroma, and this is the most apparent change from the opening to the dry down. I then double-checked after a few hours. The scent is very close to the skin and radiates a velvety face powder, rich in spiced vanilla, and it's not cloying like the one in cupcakes. It is no longer sweet or gourmand, somewhat powdery like a baby powder. The presence of two kinds of wood is justified as a support, although the base is neither too woody nor too dry. Sandalwood adds more creaminess to the already creamy blend, and cedar sets the scent on the skin. I don't smell the typical smell of wood shavings here.

Ultimately, Black is a cologne that everyone should check out at least once and have in the closet if they like the sweet gourmand genre. A powdery, round vanilla sugared almond, almost a biscuit. It reminds me of a childhood smell of a bath gel pouring into the bathtub. As for longevity, I would say not so great, less than half a day, and then you have to reapply. As I said above, projection places itself close to the skin soon after an hour on me. But, considering the low price, this is not a disadvantage for me. The genre and the arrangements make me prefer this colony during the colder months; autumn is ideal. The spiciness at the beginning gives it masculinity, and it is fresh just enough to be worn for daytime use. A pleasant discovery, I did not regret the purchase, instead. A 100 ml at € 19 is always good for us, especially if the fragrance in question is delicious. After a full day wearing, I could say it is true that it vaguely recalls Allure Homme Sport Eau de Toilette, but Pure Black is more dense and vanilla.

I base the review on a 100ml bottle I have owned since October 2021.

-Elysium

The tonka bean...
Sweet perfume, at the same time that it is sprayed, there is a smell that reminds me of candy, but it is not feminine because of it. Despite this fact, I don't consider him a gourmand. Confused? I agree, but maybe that's why he becomes masculine.

A fruity fragrance caused by mandarin, spicy by Indian pepper and refreshed by bergamot with a touch sweetened by tonka bean. The fragrance remains sweet, the aroma loses its candy character and becomes more sober, more eye-catching. Cedar/sandalwood and tonka bean prolong the sweetness but at the same time an air of cleanliness, giving the impression of new clothes, smelling and being used for the first time.

I don't feel the orange blossom, but I believe it joins with the fruit and Indian pepper to give that candy-scented combination of the beginning of the perfume. It's not woody, but spicy-sweet, so it becomes an extremly young perfume, although older men can use it, but I see another 20 to 35 year old boy in a fine suit or casual, at a wedding, graduation, in a birthday, perhaps on a date for two when he wants to catch the attention of his date. It is not a perfume to be worn during the day with a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. It looks best suited for a more refined sweater or shirt.

A Vanilla and Tonka bean Bomb
SOTD (Scent of the Day): Mandarina Duck Black EDT: As of 02/11/19

A good sweet and citrus scent, to me is a generic in a good in way, vanilla and tonka bean are my favorite notes. It's good decent fragrance nothing mind blowing, again the vanilla, tonka bean, and tangerine to my nose are the major player from beginning to end, with the bergamot sneaking in and I detect as well the floral notes, sandalwood, cedar and pepper in the back ground. Notes are pretty well blended. It's suited for fall/winter seasons, and is a must have.

Rating

Scent: 7/10
Design/Presentation: 6.5/10
Value: 8/10
Longevity/Performance: 9/10: Lasted on my skin as a skin scent around 12+ hrs
Overall: 7.25/10

Drseid
Mandarina Duck's Pure Dud...
Mandarina Duck Pure Black starts off as a Memoire d'Homme Ricci clone... This is a very bad thing, as that scent was one of my biggest mistakes when I blind bought it many years ago. Things do develop differently with Pure Black, specifically PB has black pepper and tobacco notes that develop after the horrible opening. To be fair, this part of the scent is more appealing, but the ugly top notes still remain throughout, and I can't help but continuously think about the loathsome Memoire d'Homme by Ricci. I like PB better than that scent, but that is not saying much. Longevity with Pure Black is mercifully brief. My advice is to steer well clear of this two star out of 5 rated "pure dud".

ElysiumElysium 16 days ago
Turns out to be sweet, citrusy, powdery and spicy, with the sweetness of coumarin, the powdery tonka, and hints of the sourness of citrus.
GreMuserGreMuser 1 year ago
Sweet syntethic mess.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Vanilla & Tonka on top of citrus and woods. It's a pleasant sweet and semi black fragrance. It lacks a bit of perfomance but I like it!

by Ikkentobi
by Ikkentobi

Popular Mandarina Duck

Black Extreme by Mandarina Duck Let's Travel to New York for Man by Mandarina Duck Mandarina Duck Man by Mandarina Duck Mandarina Duck by Mandarina Duck Cute Blue by Mandarina Duck Let's Travel to New York for Woman by Mandarina Duck Rouge Intense by Mandarina Duck The Duckers - Freedomland by Mandarina Duck Let's Travel to Paris for Man by Mandarina Duck The Duckers - Resort Lovers by Mandarina Duck Let's Travel To Miami for Woman by Mandarina Duck Let's Travel To Miami for Man by Mandarina Duck All of Me for Her by Mandarina Duck The Duckers - Into the Jungle by Mandarina Duck Scarlet Rain by Mandarina Duck All of Me for Him by Mandarina Duck Cool Black by Mandarina Duck Let's Travel to Paris for Woman by Mandarina Duck Blue by Mandarina Duck So Bella! So Chic! by Mandarina Duck