Ganymede by Marc-Antoine Barrois
Top 80 in Unisex Perfume
Ganymede is a popular perfume by Marc-Antoine Barrois for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesItalian mandarin orange, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesViolet, Osmanthus absolute
Base Notes Base NotesAkigalawood®, Immortelle absolute

Submitted by SirLancelot, last update on 16.01.2021.

The stars between us
Ganymede is the kind of perfume where I keep telling myself how happy I am to have discovered perfume since the end of 2013. I signed up a few years later and still it feels like it was yesterday.
As you know (Wikipedia sends its regards) Ganymede is one of the moons of Jupiter. As soon as I order it, the question arises for me how to come up with this name? Maybe Marc-Antoine wants to tell us to go on a journey outside our earth and marvel at the universe. Or is it about Ganymede from Greek mythology?

Ganymede is kept quite simple, I can't perceive a course of events.
The two main components I perceive are saffron and immortelle. The rest is beautifully integrated, creating an aura that is salty and fresh with a slight spiciness. Superbly composed, Ganymede shows how it is possible today to create something unique with little that transforms the atmosphere around you for hours.
I can recommend that you all try this scent. You will not regret it

Frozen Ocean
Notes: Mandarin Orange, Saffron, Violet, Osmanthus, Akigalawood and Immortelle
Perfumer: Quentin Bisch

Finally Ganymede arrived and had to give it a full wearing. Ganymede is this year's winner of "Extraordinary Perfume" and "Best Perfume from an Independent Niche Brand" which is awarded by @fragrancefoundationuk

Ganymede opens with a vibrant Mandarin and Violet Leaf which makes the opening a sweet, citrusy, green aquatic scent. Soon the Mandarin dies down and gives way to Saffron and Osmanthus, which gives this fragrance the fruity element, mostly I detect peach here. A beautiful note of Suede Leather is also detect in this masterpiece.

Overall a beautiful, fascinating and an innovative fragrance.

Instagram @ovaissaleem_

an enigma
I purchased a decant of this in parfumo and I am quite puzzled because although I don't doubt the authenticity of the decant, the accord I get out of Ganymede is quite different from the raving reviews found in here. For instance, my brain recognizes a milky-inky accord with citrus accents, if it makes any sense, that lasts and lasts. At some point after 2-3 hours I also get a creamy latte tones. Either my brain plays wild games with this or my olfactory experience is indescribable. I am certain I have smelled this before in some other niche brand (Brecourt comes to mind but I cannot be sure). I only know that what I get from Ganymede is not appealing. I don't consider this a groundbreaking, unique, or amazing creation. There is progress to it but for me the joy is cut short early on. As I said ... an enigma!?

Unique...
Ganymed by Marc Antoine Barrois is a fragrance full of ozone, salt, herbs and trees. It subtly embraces, envelops, but does not overwhelm.

This fragrance is inspired by the Ganymede moon. A rocky satellite of Jupiter, discovered by Galileo in 1610.

Ganymede is said to be a windy moon covered with frozen salt water. But a shining one, as befits a satellite of a giant planet. And so is this perfume. It's an escape into space - the smell takes you on a long space journey to the land of happiness.

The refined son of B683
Ganymède is probably the greatest discovery of the year so far! An intriguing work of art by Quentin Bisch. It opens kind of mineral with fresh touches of what reminds me of green apple and wonderfully develops into a luxurious suède feel. It has a lot more going, but those are the main players for me. Longevity and sillage are enormous and what a lovely atomizer. Best of the best! A true gentleman’s fragrance that confident women can pull of as well!
Yatagan
Most beautiful of all mortals
Actually, I have made it a habit not to write any comments on fragrances for which esteemed pre-commentators, including Profumo, have already written everything.
In this case I would like to emphasize only what I would like to add.
What there is to say about Ganymede, supposedly the most beautiful of all mortals, as a mythological figure of Greek antiquity, you can read below at Profumo - or open the Wikipedia encyclopaedia virtually again. I recommend to read both texts!
As far as the fragrance is concerned, at first I see it in exactly the same way as Profumo: the saffron note with the violet makes me associate soft suede, I also smell a hint of curry, but so little that it doesn't bother me in any way, because curry is not one of my favourite smells, and the hay-like, dusty smell of Immortelle, which is always a bit reminiscent of the smell of dried flowers, is easy to identify. I think I'm well on the way to becoming a fan of Immortelle ("Immortelle Corse" by Parfum d'Empire; "Immortelle de Corse" by L'Occitane; "Tabac Tabou" by Parfum d'Empire; "Sables" by Goutal; "Une Nuit à Doha" by SHL; "The Afternoon of a Faun" by ELDO are recommended to you in a nutshell: maybe soon you'll find more information about this in a blog about Immortelle interpretations, because the flower is also excellent for men to wear).

But in fact, the scent immediately grabbed me because of another characteristic that cannot be grasped or identified, and that's what happened: When I first tested the scent, I first applied it to scent strips as usual. In general, I prefer to test on suitable paper because this is the only way to make an objective comparison and not to let too many other irritating factors such as stress and sweat, which can play a role in a test on skin, creep into the evaluation. But if I like or am fascinated by a scent, I also apply it to skin. In both cases, however, the result is basically the same as described above.
But this time I accidentally got a part of the spray on textile (by the way, I have tested it with different fabrics in the meantime) and so I could follow the development on my sleeve. I do this anyway often, because I rarely wear scents on my skin in everyday life, but mostly on textiles. But the result here was much more amazing than in other cases. First of all it was noticeable that the scent here develops excellently, which is not always the case. The durability was also somewhat astonishing. You could still notice it on my shirt the next day, even though I don't care at all, because I prefer lighter scents. But here, especially after a rather short time (about 15 minutes), an aromatic note developed, which reminded me strongly of men's fragrances of the past decades. This aromatic note used to be found more often in Fougères, but occasionally also in masculine chypre and many powerhouse fragrances and was long considered a fragrance in its own right (Aromatic-Fougères, for example, are "Azzaro pour Homme", "Drakkar Noir" or "Paco Rabanne pour Homme" and many others; for powerhouse representatives, you only have to open the catalogue of men's fragrances of the 80s). They all have a very masculine, aromatic, spicy and woody, slightly resinous and even floral note. Obviously the combination of the ingredients, which do not have to be listed completely in the above list, results in this classic men's signature, which is transferred into the 21st century with the beautiful Ganymede. Since I particularly appreciate fragrances that interpret classical elegance in a modern way, this fragrance seems to me to be a particularly successful blend.

A masterpiece
A very unique masterpiece. The scent of fine wood furnitures and a rainy day library. The library is filled with heroic stories of the Age of Exploration and mysterious stories of exotic islands. It is difficult to unravel this scent in my language. Simply too good.

An Innovative Scent...
Striking, unique, addictive, fresh, crisp, smooth, slightly fruity, with a notable sharp clean and bright saffron/leathery accord. The scent evokes an image ahead of our times. Futuristic, if you will. Impressive and unisex. In terms of longevity, it’s an all day affair and projection is almost equally as close in comparison. My wife stole the bottle. She wears it too.

Not of this earth
This early 2019 release was a blind buy for me based on the recommendations of noses I trust. Here is my attempt at trying to describe what this scent smells like. Unique, original. I hope you find it informative. Thank you.

Modern masterpiece
Quentin Bisch is one of the new shooting stars in the industry, but what really has to be said to him is that he is honestly striving for his own handwriting, especially a modern one. This is not easy for someone like me, who was influenced by the creations of the 70s and 80s when it came to fragrances, sometimes.
I can't do anything with such violently applauded scents like 'Sauvage' or 'Aventus' and if in any scent pyramid the word 'Ambroxan' appears, it's already the end of the day for me.

But when I recently saw in one of my favourite perfumeries the first fragrance created by Bisch for Marc-Antoine Barrois called 'B683', I had to test it - despite the bad word 'Ambroxan' in the description.
At first I thought: Wow, a really great leather fragrance with a bearable modern touch, but then, after a good while, the disillusionment: Ambroxan! This miserable stuff that ruined every scent for me and somehow makes everything smell like 'Axe'.... Too bad, too bad. (The scent isn't that bad after all, but more of it elsewhere.)

Ganymede' I took without much hope into my hand, sprayed a little on a test strip and thought: aha, this time Calone.
Arriving home, I pulled the strip out of my pocket again, smelled it again, but the Calone had disappeared. Instead all at once: bitter-spicy saffron, a curry-like note and light suede - I liked that!
The next day I went back, sprayed something on my skin and was instantly torn back and forth. Again this Calone smelling a thousand times, which can be described either as aquatic or ozoneic and should associate water, sea, spray etc. - 'Cool Water' and its millions of descendants send their greetings!

Behind this watery-salty, airy aspect, but soon fruity nuances flash out, accompanied by an increasingly clear suede chord that somehow reminds me of my beloved suede clarks from the late 70s...
Above all, however, the complex, austere spiciness of saffron dominates the events in the centre of the fragrance. In contrast to 'B683', however, this spicy-leathery chord does not tend in a dark, earthy direction, but in the complete opposite. Here everything is bright and well ventilated.
After some time, a no less complex fragrance of immortelle slowly emerges from the shadows of the fund compared to saffron, corresponding wonderfully with its curry nuances to the slowly spitting spice.
But this strawflower chord has it all, because it is worked out by Quentin Bisch without any sweetness (Annick Goutal's 'Sables'!) and exudes an infinitely long while of its crisply dust-dry, hay-like spice chord, along with the already mentioned curry notes.
Yes, the scent is really very persistent and I have been asked several times about this Immortelle note - mostly when I didn't even notice it anymore At least from someone who asked me about it, I know that he is a great Corsican friend and loves the scent of the macchia.

The next morning I can still clearly see the last traces of this strawy dry blossom and, unlike some other fragrances, which can fade much earlier, as they have put a lot of effort into me, I am happy about it in the case of 'Ganymede', because the fragrance does not - at least not - strain me at any stage.

On the contrary. Quentin Bisch has created a wonderfully present, yet not loud fragrance that takes a beautiful 3-act course and is perfectly calibrated. The ozonic beginning, the leathery-spicy middle section and the immortelle finish blend perfectly into a really well and carefully composed fragrance.
Both 'Ganymede' and 'B683' are thoroughly modern works. B683' may, as a genuine leather scent, still have certain references to the great leather heroes of the past, especially to 'Knize Ten' and 'Cabochard', but at 'Ganymede' I don't find these references anymore, or only to a very small extent. The already mentioned 'Sables' would occur to me, but only because of the prominent Immortelle note, otherwise the intersections are rather manageable. Or the old 'Eau de Monsieur' from the 80s, also by Annick Goutal, which was much too classic 'Eau', but had a similar dominant strawflower chord in the back.

No, in my opinion 'Ganymede' is a small modern masterpiece, which perhaps inspires me so much precisely because I have almost lost faith in the abilities of modern perfumery But lo and behold, it's still possible!

I also like the name: 'Ganymede', the largest Jupiter moon, under whose ice surface a huge saltwater ocean is said to be hidden. This saltwater aspect can be found in the scent as well as the macchia-impregnated coastal air of Crete, to whose inhabitants the legend of Ganymede and Zeus as a pair of lovers goes back, which legitimized love among men in antiquity.
B683', the fantasy planet borrowed from the 'Little Prince' of Saint-Exupery is Jupiter/Zeus and Ganymed the moon of Jupiter, respectively the lover of Zeus ...
Wonderfully intertwined sources of inspiration, right?!

Small addition: the spray mechanism is fantastic! In the 70s, instead of 'vaporizers', there were so-called 'atomizers' who finely fogged the scent. I am reminded of these 'atomizers' by the spraying mechanism of Barrois' fragrances. However, this time the scent, atomized into the smallest particles, actually reaches the skin and does not breathe in all directions.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 3 months ago
Initially spicy-citric, this bright green-metallic, yet salty floral-leathery Mid season fragrance, settles to a dusty earthy-woody base.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 6 months ago
Elegant, bright suede for James Bond. Masterpiece.
ExxellenceExxellence 6 months ago
Unique, elegant, fresh, very masculine. Classy leather suitable for every occasion and season. Overall an amazing parfum.
TombbbTombbb 7 months ago
Definitely tangerine in the opening. The rest is quite disappointing for me - all I can smell is soap. Not bad, but a victim of overhype

by Jan1991