Dot (2012) Eau de Parfum

Dot (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs
Bottle Design: Sayuri Shoji, Marc Jacobs

Dot (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Marc Jacobs for women and was released in 2012. The scent is fruity-floral. It was last marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesDragon fruit, Red berries, Honeysuckle
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoconut water, Jasmine, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Driftwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.09.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is Australian model Codie Young, photographed by Juergen Teller.

Grandeurless & Splendourless
2018-03-08-06-## UTC --

I quite like this; & I am well-acquainted with some of the grandest & splendidest of 'fumes.

I think the reviews of the previous reviewers are quite accurate, considered per punctis, or point-by-point (or whatever). It is indeed totally devoid of any grandeur or splendour. But one reviewer's young niece chose it - is it not that she has that certain way of simply enjoying a simple modest 'fume that has been °battered° out of many if us by exposure to seriously grand & splendid stuff? This 'fume calls to me in a certain way I had almost forgotten it was possible that I be called to in; and maugre its weakness under analysis, I simply like it! I find it pleasant & quite ~interessante~. (One of my worthy apothecaries is Italian, & I got into a habit if using this word when one time she accidentally defaulted to her native language when I was discussing a 'fume with her.) ~Interessante~ in that it teaseth one with a subtle wechselspiel of aromata beneath its sweet surface, a bit like catching inscrutable glints fræ the interior of an otherwise rather plane pink opal, or something like that.

But then I like certain childrens' toys also, & have a collection of yo-yos, Jacobs ladders, & spinning tops, & other items, that I am often frowned @ for amusing myself with in public!

I haven't forgotten, though, that this is not a particularly inexpensive 'fume, although I think it's price is a little below the middle of what most would regard as the ~standard~ price brackett; but notice I call it ~modest~, ^not^ ~poor~. The distinction between those two qualifyings is an important one, to my mind, & I broach it a great deal.

... about a month later ...
Have just given this a run-out; and I'm ^seriously^ impressed with this. I am becoming a bit concerned that it might be perceiven that I am °trying to be everyone's friend° perfume-wise, as, as it might be noticed, I tend not to write scathing reviews of perfumes. But I ^do^ have a bona-fide belief that it's nearly always possible to °bring oneself round° to a perfume, becoming ^open^ to the good that it has. Having said that, I think maybe this one is ^not^ a particularly good example of what I have just said, but is rather simply a seriously good 'fume - far far better than the admittedly somewhat bland initial impression would lead one to believe.

Throughout the wearing - many hours long - I was catching really very satisfying whyphs from it. Several times, I caught some really very rich-smelling ambry trails that I thought at first were coming from someone else, but which trsnspired to be not other than coming from myself. And yet, it wasn't just ambry trails - the particular character of this 'fume was continually present, with the perception of blandness morphing into a perception rather of precisely the kind of discreetness whereby a 'fume avoids becoming cloying through being constantly present about one's person. And that ^particular quality^ became increasingly & increasingly likeable and °interessante°. I do think there is even modest admixture of that °sweaty° musk that I praise so highly in my review of Kukdjian's ~Petit Matin~.

Definitely a hidden gem, this one!
7.5 7.5 4.0/10

GMO Ladybug?
Marc Jacobs used to make decent perfumes. The first three, MARC JACOBS, ESSENCE, and BLUSH are all quite respectable creations, the first two of which work around a central gardenia note, while the third offers a unique banana note along with some white flowers. After that triplet, I'm not really sure what went awry, but everything became flat and abstract and, for lack of a better term: Cotyized.

The bottle for DOT looks like a drug trip gone bad. Or perhaps a GMO ladybug? It's really quite scary to behold. I have another idea: what if a ladybug mated with her twin brother? Maybe this is what they'd produce.

The scent? Abstract fruity floral. It's not horrible, but it's certainly not good, and it's something of a joke even to attempt to have a conversation about the notes. Driftwood? Dragon fruit? Coconut Water? Whatever. I do like the scent slightly more than that of LOLA, but that is, of course, rather faint praise.

DOT reminds me a bit of the Marc Jacobs CRANBERRY splash, of which I have a jug. Somewhat synthetic and somewhat sweet and vague and nondescript. This is not a perfume which I would reach for or buy, but I had a sample, so I figured that with a bath on the horizon, I'd give it a try.

I saw that the Marc Jacobs perfumes are being sold at TJMaxx for $50 or $60. These perfumes are not worth even that modest sum, but they must be selling, since otherwise they'd be sold for the prices of Ellen Tracy perfumes: $9.95 or $14.95. Someone out there seems to like GMO ladybugs and 100% abstract juice. I imagine that it is the junior high school set.

jtd
an outcome probably unanticipated by the perfume evaluators
Candy-berry sweetness. A summer mid-day sun reflected at you by a mirror made of sugar. Like a mirror, Dot reinforces two-dimensionality.
Everything, even sharpness, can be reduced to flatness in a mirror.

Not shriekingly chemical, or at least not any more so than any other girly perfume that presumes that fruit needs to be sweetened before being eaten. Dot is more noticeable to my nose for its lack than its presence. It doesn’t ultimately smell actually fruity or floral in any truly identifiable way because it has no anchor. I wouldn’t so much call it linear as I would call it purely topnotes. It’s the olfactory equivalent of a ringing in the ears.

This is the sort of fragrance I can’t enjoy as a perfume even if I were to like the way it smells. Firstly, it has no connections, congenial, antagonistic or otherwise to skin. Secondly, it’s like the berry version of a maraschino cherry. The cherry might have been fruit at one time, and although it still signifies fruit, is really just an odd bit symbolism (nature, bleached, then made better, sweeter, brighter) that I would remove and discard before I ate my sundae.

All that aside, I love this perfume, although I’d be happy never to smell it again, because it was selected by my niece today at Bloomingales as I taught her how to shop for a perfume. She was thoughtful, took her time, chose Dot and is thrilled with it. I love my niece, and consequently love Dot.

by beneo
by Mogli
by Sternchen205
by Sternchen205

Popular Marc Jacobs

Decadence by Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Bang by Marc Jacobs Lola (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Rain by Marc Jacobs Dot (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Oh, Lola! by Marc Jacobs Honey (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Bang Bang by Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs Men (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Cucumber by Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Cotton by Marc Jacobs Divine Decadence by Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream Forever (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Cranberry by Marc Jacobs Curaçao by Marc Jacobs