Ginger 2011

Ginger by Marc Jacobs
Ginger is a perfume by Marc Jacobs for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is fresh-spicy. It was last marketed by Coty.

Yann Vasnier

Top Notes Top NotesCognacCognac GingerGinger NutmegNutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeraniumGeranium Passion flowerPassion flower RhubarbRhubarb
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber MuskMusk SandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 30.05.2020.

Poor Longevity--but it comes in a Jug!
Marc Jacobs GINGER is a minimalist ginger cologne which initially reminded me a touch of Bond no 9 NEW YORK FLING, until I compared them side-by-side and found that the Marc Jacobs composition is much simpler and apparently totally devoid of floral and green elements. Passion flower is listed among the notes, but on my skin and to my nose GINGER offers a very light layer of...ginger!

It smells very clean and fresh, and I really don't have a problem with the poor longevity, because it comes in a jug and serves its primary purpose quite well: as a quick and clean scented source of refreshment!

So far I have to say that I am happy with the Marc Jacobs Splash collection. What I don't understand is why the company would decide to issue such heavy (and attractive, I might add...) bottles filled with (gasp!) 300 ml of juice! I remember the first tme I encountered one of these: I was on vacation in Puerto Rico, the bottle was of AMBER, and I could not believe the price, especially since I had discovered the original MARC JACOBS and ESSENCE and BLUSH and liked them all. I ended up not buying the bottle at the time, however. Why? Because it was too heavy and clunky to pack in my bag!

One final question: is Yann Vasnier the Alberto Morillas of the twenty-first century?

SystemeD
A short visit with ginger.
First, let me admit that I am a fool for ginger, so I was very excited to receive a nice-sized spray sample from PBullFriend. Thank you, my friend!

Marc Jacobs has issued three "splash" fragrances in huge, 10 oz (300ml) bottles, and all three of these fragrances (Curacao, Cranberry, and this one, Ginger) are intended to bring to mind a refreshing summer cocktail.

Ginger opens, quite intentionally, with an alcoholic blast. The note is supposedly cognac, but is not quite so specific to my nose. And right away, the very fresh, tart spiciness of ginger. The alcohol note fades, but the sparkling ginger remains, and it elides into a heart composed mostly of a rosy geranium. I do get a whiff of rhubarb, but it does not really noticeably rise above the ginger. There is a fruity sweetness here, too, which I assume comes from the passion flower note, and this aspect of the fragrance really does evoke a summer cocktail - not sticky-sweet, but light and fruity.

After a very short while, perhaps a half-hour, the ginger joins a soft sandalwood, moves to a light musk, and then vanishes altogether.

This is a very short-lived fragrance. If you want a more enduring experience with Ginger, you'll have to reapply every hour. A purse-spray sized decant coupled with persistence will make that possible. While I am unlikely to be sufficiently assiduous to make this a viable option, I did enjoy Ginger enough to consider it.

I can see Ginger working really well as an after-bath splash, when one has no desire for the scent to last all day. I should note that it does last longer on clothing than it does on skin, so it could also conceivably serve as a linen spray. If you buy that massive bottle, you'll certainly have enough of the stuff to experiment with alternative uses.

by Fran
by Fran
by Lav
by Lav

Popular by Marc Jacobs

Daisy Eau So Fresh by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Decadence by Marc Jacobs Perfect by Marc Jacobs Rain by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Decadence Eau So Decadent by Marc Jacobs Cucumber by Marc Jacobs Bang by Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Intense by Marc Jacobs Daisy Love by Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Pear by Marc Jacobs Cotton by Marc Jacobs Oh, Lola! by Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Daisy Love Eau So Sweet by Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh Sorbet by Marc Jacobs Daisy Daze by Marc Jacobs Lola (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs