Lola 2009 Eau de Parfum

Lola (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs
Lola (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Marc Jacobs for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-fruity. It was last marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesPearPear
RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesMuskMusk
Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.01.2022.

Winner of the FiFi Award 2010, category: Luxury Women

Parfumqueen
A fair face may hide a foul heart..
With me in the still unused bottle has formed despite correct, cool and dark storage in the packaging, a strange lump (so about 0.5+ cm), which swims back and forth in the perfume when moving. Doesn't look very appealing. The fragrance is known to be a bit older, but I haven't had anything like that. This has made me very sad and disappointed recently. Have any of you perhaps had this before as well? Now I'm not sure if I therefore do not like the fragrance, because it has also changed perhaps by the lump?!

Well I notice in any case only something artificial with disturbing or strict leg note. Has not pleased me. Durability also not so good. Ca 2 hours on the wrist noticed. The bottle, however, I find very appealing as with all Marc Jacobs fragrances

Lola, a daring romantic
Lola by Marc Jacobs has become one of these perfumes that were first very popular, and now due to being discontinued are rare and expensive to buy. I have a 30 ml bottle of it that I sort of treasure now. It reminds me of a number of Lancôme perfumes with rose and berry notes in them. Also, it’s a distant cousin of Magnifique, a discontinued fragrance that I failed to buy and which then disappeared completely. To me Lola is not light and not very lighthearted either. I never can wear it casually or for everyday. I only feel like wearing it at night for going out. Which sadly has not been a thing to do for almost a year now due to the pandemic. I think it complements a burgundy velvet dress or a little black dress kind of occasion. It also may have been the reason it got discontinued because it just isn’t an easygoing kind of casual scent. However, it’s a gorgeous dark romantic fruity rose scent that is great for that special date. It’s an absolutely gorgeous Rose peony perfume, and the bottle is very unique. The flowers are made out of vinyl plastic, but the total effect is very chic with a rock star glamour kind of twist from the 80s, but not old fashioned at all. It is warm and a little sweet, romantic but heartbreaking at the same time. So hard to describe it! It’s a shame it was discontinued.
4.5
Galaxolide Galaxy
Now I finally have her, the Lola, and all my expectations have been fulfilled: Elegant, well-balanced, modern, but not for the hell of it. Just to be different. A touch of pop art, also a touch of modernism, but not a classic, despite plastic applications noble - the bottle is a feast for the eyes!
Yes, the bottle completely fulfils my expectations, I am thrilled.

The fragrance itself also meets my expectations. Unfortunately
I'm afraid it's a mésalliance of grapefruit, musk and rose geranium that really does spoil my fragrance thoroughly, with musk obviously being my main culprit once again. The dense, very stuffy creaminess of this mixture clearly reminds me of the Ur-Trésor. This note was also in there and spoiled it for me, because after a short time it annoyed me so much and I could hardly notice anything else beside it. This leads to the assumption that it really is galaxolide, i.e. an artificial musk scent, which is said to have accounted for more than 20% of the old Trésor, which now also makes the beautiful Lola impossible for me.

So this comment must be short, because apart from this trésor factor I can't smell anything else about the many hours that Lola lasts. In the background, I can see desperate fruits that might be beautiful, but they have no choice but to drop their sails, drop their petals or jump off the tree in the face of the galaxolide storm.

Daisyvision
Soft, pretty, and unassuming.
Lola is one of my favorite fruity florals (which is not typically a group I pick from often). The pink pepper provides a little spiciness and intrigue to the rose, and together, they perfectly complement each other. The pear is just the right amount of fruitiness without overpowering the soft florals, musk and sweet vanilla. Lola is gentle, buoyant. Purely delightful.

Lola absolutely has a '90s throwback quality. That's actually the entire reason I decided to try it. I think most times I see Marc Jacobs perfumes with their flamboyant toy-like bottles, I can't take them seriously. But Lola helped me gain perspective on the matter. Especially going back to that '90s mentality - Couldn't you see the kitschy Lola bottle sitting atop Lisa Turtle's dresser (from Saved by the Bell)? Or perhaps Blossom Russo's? Heck, one of my favorite perfumes in the '90s, Fetish, had a ridiculous bottle. Which is one of the reasons I tried it in the first place! Haha.

Lastly, I have an odd story, or, perhaps a comparison to add. Lola isn't exactly a perfume I would've even taken a second look at if not for searching high and low for similar scents to Avon's discontinued 'Natori'. I recently read that a knock-off of Lola, called "Hola", was a dead ringer for the gloriously '90s Natori. I thought, "Well, what about actual Lola?" While they had a few notes in common, Lola turned out to be only vaguely similar to Natori. But I wasn't disappointed by Lola in the slightest - it's a charming scent that I'm glad I happened to stumble upon.

Icekat
Unique bottle is the only thing worth mentioning about this scent
I love sweet fruity scents, so I tried to give this fragrance a chance. I really tried. Lola got so much publicity going for it with its unusual bottle and a promise to vow me with its youthful and fun composition. Unfortunately this scent is worse than many celebrity scents I have tried.

The composition starts with citrus and awfully synthetic pear. The overall effect is unpleasant and frankly I had an urge to scrub it off. There is a bit of improvement as the scent settles on my skin into a sweet non-distinctive rose composition. The scent has formidable strength and tenacity to remain on my skin even after I washed it off, so both, sillage and longevity are nice.

The best part of this perfume is the bottle. It is certainly unusual and unique. When I saw it in person for the first time, I did not know what to make of it. It really walks the fine line between being unique, fun and whimsical, or cheap and tacky. After much debate, I think, somehow, it does manage to remain in artsy rather than trashy category. So I will give credit to Marc Jacobs for its unusual path with the bottle creation.

There are many nicer fruit floral scents on the market, so if you are looking for a fun girly scent I would recommend looking elsewhere. Overall score 5/10.
3.5

Plastic Gummy-Bears
Since I'm a collector of perfume vessels, one generous and well-meaning friend of mine gave me this version of "Lola" as a present. The bottle looks wonderful on my dressing-table, but the scent is nothing I could ever wear. Are you familiar with our cute little German soft candy "gummy-bears"? "Lola Velvet" smells like gummy-bears in a bottle. The Gummibärchen are accompanied by the stench of a polythene sheet or a plastic bag, and "Lola Velvet" ends up smelling so utterly artificial and devoid of any natural ingredient that you start craving for the latest Escada-Summer-Scent. Lola has no soul - it's purple plastic in a bottle.

Girly girly
This is definitely girly girly, sweety sweety. If you are into mysterious or sexy orientals you will probably not like this. There is a very sweet and also kind of harsh top note. Harshness I think comes from the pepper. I have yet to smell the base notes of vanilla and tonka. The middle notes are what I think most people are getting as they don't seem to fade any (at least on me). Rose, peony and geranium are the middle notes and I think that the raspy sweetness is continuing to come from the geranium and peony mostly. It seems to be very strong and lasting and I think some people could find it cloying. However, if you could step away from yourself, say three feet or so, you would probably find it to be much more pleasant. If a person wearing this walked into a room, I think others would just pick up the warm sweet aromas of the florals. I don't think it would come across as sicky sweet to them. I would wear this in the springtime with a sundress and sandals.

A touch too musky
Well, what can I say, I genuinely don't understand this fragrance's popularity.

Personally I find this to be your average fruity floral, nothing too ground-breaking here I'm afraid.

Lola is basically an opening of peppery and musky citrus followed by a fresh burst of pear and predictable florals, finishing with an uninspiring blend of musk and vanilla.

I'll give credit to Marc Jacobs for refraining from making this sickeningly sweet like most new perfumes aim to do these days. The scent is playful and young without making one smell like a candy shop.

I can imagine that this will be quite popular this Summer as it seems that already women and young girls alike are buying Lola like hotcakes. From just over-hearing what people have said about Lola, many are attracted to the bottle design. I, for one, don't find the bottle to be overly appealing. The pictures on here seem to flatter the bottle, in real life Lola looks quite tacky, especially with the multi-coloured, plastic folds which are meant to represent god only knows what.

by beneo
by Sherapop
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular Marc Jacobs

Daisy Eau So Fresh by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Decadence by Marc Jacobs Rain by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Cucumber by Marc Jacobs Bang by Marc Jacobs Decadence Eau So Decadent by Marc Jacobs Perfect by Marc Jacobs Daisy Love by Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Intense by Marc Jacobs Cotton by Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Oh, Lola! by Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh Sorbet by Marc Jacobs Pear by Marc Jacobs Amber by Marc Jacobs Bang Bang by Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs Men by Marc Jacobs