Lola 2009Eau de Parfum

Lola (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs
Lola (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Marc Jacobs for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-fruity. It was last marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesPear, Pink pepper, Red grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Peony, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.08.2020.

Winner of the FiFi Award 2010, category: Luxury Women

Daisyvision
Soft, pretty, and unassuming.
Lola is one of my favorite fruity florals (which is not typically a group I pick from often). The pink pepper provides a little spiciness and intrigue to the rose, and together, they perfectly complement each other. The pear is just the right amount of fruitiness without overpowering the soft florals, musk and sweet vanilla. Lola is gentle, buoyant. Purely delightful.

Lola absolutely has a '90s throwback quality. That's actually the entire reason I decided to try it. I think most times I see Marc Jacobs perfumes with their flamboyant toy-like bottles, I can't take them seriously. But Lola helped me gain perspective on the matter. Especially going back to that '90s mentality - Couldn't you see the kitschy Lola bottle sitting atop Lisa Turtle's dresser (from Saved by the Bell)? Or perhaps Blossom Russo's? Heck, one of my favorite perfumes in the '90s, Fetish, had a ridiculous bottle. Which is one of the reasons I tried it in the first place! Haha.

Lastly, I have an odd story, or, perhaps a comparison to add. Lola isn't exactly a perfume I would've even taken a second look at if not for searching high and low for similar scents to Avon's discontinued 'Natori'. I recently read that a knock-off of Lola, called "Hola", was a dead ringer for the gloriously '90s Natori. I thought, "Well, what about actual Lola?" While they had a few notes in common, Lola turned out to be only vaguely similar to Natori. But I wasn't disappointed by Lola in the slightest - it's a charming scent that I'm glad I happened to stumble upon.

Icekat
Unique bottle is the only thing worth mentioning about this scent
I love sweet fruity scents, so I tried to give this fragrance a chance. I really tried. Lola got so much publicity going for it with its unusual bottle and a promise to vow me with its youthful and fun composition. Unfortunately this scent is worse than many celebrity scents I have tried.

The composition starts with citrus and awfully synthetic pear. The overall effect is unpleasant and frankly I had an urge to scrub it off. There is a bit of improvement as the scent settles on my skin into a sweet non-distinctive rose composition. The scent has formidable strength and tenacity to remain on my skin even after I washed it off, so both, sillage and longevity are nice.

The best part of this perfume is the bottle. It is certainly unusual and unique. When I saw it in person for the first time, I did not know what to make of it. It really walks the fine line between being unique, fun and whimsical, or cheap and tacky. After much debate, I think, somehow, it does manage to remain in artsy rather than trashy category. So I will give credit to Marc Jacobs for its unusual path with the bottle creation.

There are many nicer fruit floral scents on the market, so if you are looking for a fun girly scent I would recommend looking elsewhere. Overall score 5/10.
3.5

Plastic Gummy-Bears
Since I'm a collector of perfume vessels, one generous and well-meaning friend of mine gave me this version of "Lola" as a present. The bottle looks wonderful on my dressing-table, but the scent is nothing I could ever wear. Are you familiar with our cute little German soft candy "gummy-bears"? "Lola Velvet" smells like gummy-bears in a bottle. The Gummibärchen are accompanied by the stench of a polythene sheet or a plastic bag, and "Lola Velvet" ends up smelling so utterly artificial and devoid of any natural ingredient that you start craving for the latest Escada-Summer-Scent. Lola has no soul - it's purple plastic in a bottle.

Girly girly
This is definitely girly girly, sweety sweety. If you are into mysterious or sexy orientals you will probably not like this. There is a very sweet and also kind of harsh top note. Harshness I think comes from the pepper. I have yet to smell the base notes of vanilla and tonka. The middle notes are what I think most people are getting as they don't seem to fade any (at least on me). Rose, peony and geranium are the middle notes and I think that the raspy sweetness is continuing to come from the geranium and peony mostly. It seems to be very strong and lasting and I think some people could find it cloying. However, if you could step away from yourself, say three feet or so, you would probably find it to be much more pleasant. If a person wearing this walked into a room, I think others would just pick up the warm sweet aromas of the florals. I don't think it would come across as sicky sweet to them. I would wear this in the springtime with a sundress and sandals.

A touch too musky
Well, what can I say, I genuinely don't understand this fragrance's popularity.

Personally I find this to be your average fruity floral, nothing too ground-breaking here I'm afraid.

Lola is basically an opening of peppery and musky citrus followed by a fresh burst of pear and predictable florals, finishing with an uninspiring blend of musk and vanilla.

I'll give credit to Marc Jacobs for refraining from making this sickeningly sweet like most new perfumes aim to do these days. The scent is playful and young without making one smell like a candy shop.

I can imagine that this will be quite popular this Summer as it seems that already women and young girls alike are buying Lola like hotcakes. From just over-hearing what people have said about Lola, many are attracted to the bottle design. I, for one, don't find the bottle to be overly appealing. The pictures on here seem to flatter the bottle, in real life Lola looks quite tacky, especially with the multi-coloured, plastic folds which are meant to represent god only knows what.

by beneo
by Sherapop
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular Marc Jacobs

Daisy Eau So Fresh by Marc Jacobs Decadence by Marc Jacobs Rain by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Daisy (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Cucumber by Marc Jacobs Bang by Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs Daisy Love by Marc Jacobs Decadence Eau So Decadent by Marc Jacobs Cotton by Marc Jacobs Oh, Lola! by Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (Eau de Toilette) by Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh Sorbet by Marc Jacobs Amber by Marc Jacobs Bang Bang by Marc Jacobs Pear by Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs Men by Marc Jacobs Cranberry by Marc Jacobs Honey (Eau de Parfum) by Marc Jacobs