Barry Lyndon by Maria Candida Gentile

Barry Lyndon is a popular perfume by Maria Candida Gentile for men and was released in 2010. The scent is spicy-green. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesHerbs
Heart Notes Heart NotesArnica, Artemisia, Heather
Base Notes Base NotesHaitian vetiver, Leather, Madagascan vanilla

Submitted by Inala, last update on 23.05.2019

7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Barry Lyndon
As I consider Stanley Kubrick's “Barry Lyndon” to be nothing short of a masterpiece, I was very curious to try a scent that was inspired by this film, or, more specifically, by one of its scenes (Barry's horse ride through the English countryside). I'm relieved to say Maria Candida Gentile's fragrance does deliver. From the very first moment, the scent feels outdoorsy thanks to green and grass notes. Shortly after that, leather makes its entrance. The note is beautifully rendered. Even though it dominates the heart, it never becomes overwhelming. It evokes the smell of Barry's saddle mixed with, I dare say, the smell his four-legged vehicle. A few moments later, the leather note becomes a little softer, blending with vanilla. The leather-vanilla combination is my favourite stage in the development of this perfume.

Whenever I wear it, “Barry Lyndon” manages to put me in a contemplative mood. I know the adjective “sophisticated” is brutally overused when it comes to describing fragrances, but Candida Gentile's creation is a perfect embodiment of this characteristic. It's also an intimate perfume and an ideal companion for a quiet evening in when I pour myself a glass of wine, open a good book, or just let the ideas in my head run riot. A marvellous fragrance from an incredibly talented perfumer!
5.0 5.0/10

Missing out...
This perfume (aromatic fougere) has very positive and creative reviews at fragrantica, so I'm surprised there are no reviews here, and therefore, here goes...

It opens with Licorice (or a green shrub that smells like licorice), then comes the mint. I'm sorry but I can't describe what I smell next, but I do like it. Supposedly it's saddle leather which I've never smelled.

I will report more later. Again, I'm adding my amateur review because there are none, and I think you all are missing out on something you will like.

For the dry down it has turned smoky/wood burning. Now all the above notes have left and what is left is a smoky vanilla. I can still smell it 24 hours later, however, the sillage is very close to the skin.

Barry Lyndon & the rolling hills of Wiltshire