Cinabre by Maria Candida Gentile
Cinabre is a perfume by Maria Candida Gentile for women and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-floral. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesGingerGinger
Pink pepperPink pepper
Black pepperBlack pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesSplendens roseSplendens rose
Moroccan roseMoroccan rose
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoinBenzoin
Bourbon vanillaBourbon vanilla
OpoponaxOpoponax

Submitted by Inala, last update on 15.04.2021.

Cutting memories
Cinabre, literally meaning "of the vermillion colour of cinnabar", is a fitting name for this early creation from Maria Candida Gentile, one of the four perfumes of her own first line.

The names she gives to her perfumes may be uncommon as their scent, and her works are undoubtedly original on the perfumery landscape, but, they make memories resurface inside of me with such clarity, that I could compare them to still frames of my childhood.

Perhaps it is because we're from the same land that Cinabre is so familiar to me.

But my very first approach wasn't like meeting something familiar, on the contrary, it was estranging.
Cinabre opens with a strong, razor-sharp ginger and peppercorn accord.
After a while, you become more accustomed to it and you realize that it is not like freshly cut ginger- these spices are dried, and together they still release their scent in a thick, somewhat sweet, delicious aroma. It doesn't last long before rose joins the stage.
On the middle notes, rose is the most prominent. Unlike any other I have in my collection, this rose is unique. This isn't a dewy, pink rose- It's big and cutting, in a bed of spices and warm resins. So sharp, that if I sniff close to my wrist, it's like I can smell a droplet of blood on its petals, because of my inattentiveness while admiring it.

Nearing the end stage, Cinabre leaves the spot to delicious vanilla, with faint traces of the spicy rose from before.
This perfume is altogether warm and feels heavy. If I were to describe it in fewer words then, I'd say that Cinabre is a warm, mature, thick, spicy perfume with a sharp rose that ends in vanilla and resins.

It's definitely not for the warmer months. I feel like it would be too much to handle. It performs well in fall and winter, and maybe in early spring.
It has an enormous sillage: My mom asked me immediately what perfume I was wearing today as soon as I took a few steps to go down the stairs. And that's just from applying a few drops on each wrist from a sample vial!

I hope that, if you like rose perfumes, you'll give this one a try. It is really a unique find from Italian perfumery.

Magic Blending
Never would I have imagined that ginger, pink pepper and black pepper could smell like this, but let your mind put them together, assume success, and Cinabre's top note is exactly what you'll get. The rose heart rises and blends with the spice, neither overpowering the other. Next comes the vanilla base and the sweetly resinous opoponax and this scent's magic is achieved. If you don't like pepper, this one may not be for you, but give it a try. Like most Maria Gentiles, Cinabre is a special and exotic perfume, well worth the experience.

LavioLavio 3 years ago
A different kind of rose; a lot of pepper and mhyrra initially but if you wait a little bit, rose , benzoin and vanilla come out!

by Seren
by Seren

Popular Maria Candida Gentile

Sideris by Maria Candida Gentile Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile Barry Lyndon by Maria Candida Gentile Hanbury by Maria Candida Gentile Noir Tropical by Maria Candida Gentile Luberon by Maria Candida Gentile Burlesque by Maria Candida Gentile Gershwin by Maria Candida Gentile Leucò by Maria Candida Gentile Syconium by Maria Candida Gentile Finisterre by Maria Candida Gentile Lankaran Forest by Maria Candida Gentile Rrose Sélavy by Maria Candida Gentile Gentile by Maria Candida Gentile Kitrea by Maria Candida Gentile Anime Sante by Maria Candida Gentile Lady Day by Maria Candida Gentile Elephant & Roses by Maria Candida Gentile