M (2007) Eau de Parfum

M (Eau de Parfum) by Mariah Carey
Bottle Design: Jean Antretter

M (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Mariah Carey for women and was released in 2007. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesMarshmallow, Seawater
Heart Notes Heart NotesGardenia, Tiaré
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.11.2019

8.0 6.0 4.0 5.5/10

Marshmallow comparison
I recently received a sample of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme (the new one from 2012). I really like its marshmallow note, so today I sprayed one arm with it and the other arm with Mariah Carey M to compare this note.

At first, I liked D&G better; it smelled subtler and more refined. Once the heart notes were reached, I liked the M better because it was richer, deeper, and more floral--the gardenia and tiare were really shining through the marshmallow sweetness. In comparison, the D&G smelled like Smarties Candies on my skin; the M definitely had more depth.

Now I've reached the base notes, and the M is a barely-there incense, while the D&G is still sweet with a slight bit of neroli peeking through.

I don't know which one I prefer. The marshmallow note is carried differently by both perfumes. If I had to hazard a statement, I'd say the D&G is best for daytime wear and/or spring and summer wear, as it is lighter and won't knock anyone over the head. M is best suited for evening use and/or fall and winter wear, as it is deeper and richer and has better sillage. Try one during the day and spray the other on at night!
2.5 5.0 4.0/10

DarkMatter
Romantic Notes or Romantic Notions?
I'm beginning to think that the marketing department of Elizabeth Arden decided to make M sound different, unique, mysterious with the list of "notes" that are supposed to be within this perfume. I am currently really enjoying sweet, gourmand fragrances and have no problem with celeb-scents so this review doesn't come from a place of innate dislike. I just hate it when the public are spun a yarn and expected to believe it. This can happen with anything from exclusive niche perfumes down to the most economical beauty products. We are told a tale about how amazing this product is and how we have to spend our money to try it! Of course, once sampled, we will not be able to live without it...

Honestly, I had read so much about M in all sorts of online forums and heard people wax lyrical about how it was a "cut above" the usual celebrity fragrances. So with my current gourmand crusade, I decided to purchase it. You all know the bargain hunter in me by know folks, I'm sure. I didn't pay a high price, I got a brand new bottle for £6 including shipping on eBay as the box was a little battered.

My first impressions when I received it was that it is the tackiest box and bottle that I have seen for a LONG time. I buy cheap perfumes all the time, but this one LOOKS cheap. In all the photos it is so pretty with the purple butterfly and silver round the neck of the bottle. But in real life, it's plastic, it looks plastic. The box was horrible with a nasty molded clear plastic insert holding the bottle. What was Elizabeth Arden thinking of when they decided on this packaging? The photograph on the rear of the box with Mariah herself half immersed in water with an ethereal sky background of purple hues is actually very pretty. They would have been better off with a normal card box with the photo on the front and the rest of the box in a dark purple colour. EA...next time you need help to decide on packaging for a product, feel free to drop me a line.

So down to business. I applied M and waited about a minute to let the alcohol evaporate. I was expecting something quite complex and dark. Unfortunately, all I got was the smell of candy. After about an hour the fragrance did deepen somewhat and a slight resinous note became apparent. It stopped screeching sugar at me and became very pleasant. And that is that. What? I hear you cry. No seawater, gardenia or tiaré? What about patchouli? I'm normally very sensitive to patchouli and even if it is extremely well blended I can always pick it out. I honestly smell nothing here other than sweetness and a slight incense note. I love incense and, like I said, gourmand fragrances are currently high on my love list at the moment. I truly want to love this perfume, but it's just terribly mediocre. It has no sillage (on me) and only lasted as a skin scent for approximately 4 hours.

I will wear it when I am craving something sweet at bedtime. I don't mind using it up, but can't see me reaching for it otherwise as M hasn't given me any reason to. Sorry Mariah, nothing personal, but I can't see me purchasing any more of your perfumes.

EDIT: I've just layered it with The Body Shop's Rose Oud and I have to say that it now smells amazing. The depth of the oud with the sweetness of M are actually bordering on the "gothic".
7.5 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Karinoula
Dark yet sweet unique smell
Very nice and gothic perfume in the same spirit as J.Galliano's and ck Euphoria perfumes. The combination of insence, mashmellow, white flowers and patchouli is unique. Is dark perfume yet sweet not heady not heavy, very long lasting. I could wear it all year round due to the sweetness. I was surprised with the quality since this is considered to be a celebrity perfume. Overall is a 9/10 for me. The bottle is lovely too. I am very happy with it.
4.0/10

Over-Hyped and Over-Priced
M opens like sweet & sugary rice straight away. I so wanted to experience that sea water. Sadly, nada - no salt water taffy for me, just sugary rice. However, as a sugary scent, M is more well-rounded than many others that I've tried recently. I think it's the patch ... and the mystery rice.

Unfortunately, M is not long lasting & has no projection. I'm at hour 3 after 6-8 sprays. My DH can only catch a whiff by nuzzling my neck, which he says smells like candy. The only thing more spent than M on me is my sample vial of EDP, which was emptied in just a few hours on one day.

M is certainly pretty enough, and I can see how it has appeal. Yet to me, M is no different than any other celeb sugary scent du jour. With Love, Halle, Fantasy, Fancy, etc. -- Pick one of these, they last longer, and pass on M.

MORE FROM MARKETING MATERIALS

The Story
=========

A warm and inviting marshmallow is woven throughout the fragrance, evoking a sense of comfort. This indulgent accord captures Mariah's fondest childhood memories of being in the kitchen with her father.

Combines a feminine veil of Living Tahitian Tiare flower wrapped in the aura of wet Gardenia petals. This beautiful blend is reminiscent of the fragrant breezes of Hawaii and the Isle of Capri, Mariah's favorite getaway.

The soul of the fragrance reveals a sexier dimension. Sheer amber, infused with spicy, woody accents of Moroccan incense forms a seductive accord that embodies Mariah's sensuality, beauty and glamour.

The Notes
=========

top - Marshmallow, Sea Breeze
heart - Tiare, Gardenia
base - Amber, Patchouli, Incense
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

M for Mariah
The scent marks my journey into the perfume world starting August 2008.
I bought it the second I knew this would become available in Germany and didn't regret it although I had my doubts about using fragrances, but was very surprised I liked it very much. It's a sweet opulent scent with the odeur of toasted marshmallows over gardenia and tiaré petals - simply delicious. It gets an oriental touch from the amber and incense and therefore is a bit different from other brands - especially since this is Mariah's first fragrance, but this shows her sexy and seductive side very well. A minus to me would be that the incense gives me headache when I spray the fragrance on my neck or too far around the area of my nose - so be careful, but overall this is one of my most loved fragrances from my most loved singer.
5.0 2.5 7.5 6.0/10

Salty marshmallows
This fragrance is a little different from the typical celebrity scents. When you first smell this, you can sense the creativity and thought that has gone into this perfume's composition.

Combining the saltiness of the ocean and the sugary sweetness of a marshmallow, M is a scent that is both mature, pleasantly sweet and fresh. This fragrance is in no way cloying. It is actually rather intimate, as it stays close to the skin.

After a few hours, this fragrance warms into a soft vanilla and delicate incense blend, which is both incredibly soothing and calm.

Because of M's aquatic-like notes, I think this would make a great beachy or summery scent. The lasting power is excellent. I personally find the bottle design quite beautiful, with the butterfly lid adding a sense of playfulness.

Bcars10 2 years ago
Marshmallow gives way to gardenia/tiare before fading away in an incense-like smoke. Deep and rich. Great for fall/winter and evenings out.+1
6.0
4.0
5.5
Chimidoro 4 years ago
A prom dress with a cap & sneakers. Pink bubblegum. The scent of stale potpourri hanging heavily in the warm evening air of the hallway.+3
6.0

by Fran
by Liebmausdana
by Liebmausdana

Popular Mariah Carey

M (Eau de Parfum) by Mariah Carey Luscious Pink (Eau de Parfum) by Mariah Carey Lollipop Bling - Ribbon by Mariah Carey Lollipop Bling - Honey by Mariah Carey Lollipop Splash The Remix - Vision Of Love by Mariah Carey Lollipop Splash The Remix - Inseparable by Mariah Carey Lollipop Bling - Mine Again by Mariah Carey Forever by Mariah Carey Dreams (Eau de Parfum) by Mariah Carey Lollipop Splash The Remix - Never Forget You by Mariah Carey Ultra Pink by Mariah Carey Lollipop Bling - That Chick by Mariah Carey Luscious Pink (Eau de Cologne) by Mariah Carey Dreams (Solid Perfume) by Mariah Carey M Gold Deluxe Edition (Parfum) by Mariah Carey Luscious Pink Deluxe Edition by Mariah Carey