I-II Montecristo 2013

I-II Montecristo by Masque
I-II Montecristo is a perfume by Masque for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCabreúva, Ambrette seed, Rum
Heart Notes Heart NotesTobacco leaf, Celery seed, Cistus, Benzoin
Base Notes Base NotesSandstone, Styrax, Gaiac wood, Cedarwood, Patchouli

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 30.09.2020.

Standing K.O.
"Well, if he doesn't knock you down..." - So the good Yatagan announced an extra sample to me, which he had enclosed with a small fragrance post a few months ago. My curiosity was increased even more when I could read that Montecristo had knocked him over, although not in a positive sense (scroll down to the statement section for a comparison). Well, I didn't think he'd be able to dispose of junk just like that. Rather, it would actually be a "love or hate" scent, a true olfactory extremist. Well, keep it coming.

Immediately after spraying on, an incredibly dense, oppressive patchouli frankincense note (or styrax or cistus, however...) comes up here, which in my opinion is mixed with something biting, fruity and sour and strongly reminds me of apple cider vinegar or laurel leaf (Clubman Bay rum?). In addition an indefinite, somehow Christmasy spice; probably more chord than isolatable component. Be that as it may, I wouldn't have assigned such a rough, unkempt bomb to such a fine woman as Delphine Thierry. The first few hours change little in this impression and the durability is so enormous that the leather strap of my wristwatch still smells unmistakably like Montecristo many weeks after the first test, as soon as it was warmed up a little by my pulse (even though it came into contact with countless other perfumes in the meantime). Only the sour Bay Rum note has disappeared, the warm bark mulch has taken over the main role, but still balsamic warmed and sweetened.

So Montecristo really knocked me out. But I also like it - at least if it has calmed down on the textiles after a few days, which actually raises the question of wearability here. This is the first time that I will actually have to make a dot here, because perfumeuristic terrorism can be such a charming statement: I can't think of an opportunity (at most a winter evening event outdoors with mushrooms) for which Montecristo wouldn't be too hard.
Earth, weed and chocolate
With every fragrance creation Masque wants to represent an act (of an opera). I found that very interesting and Montecristo sounded best for me. But then I didn't like him then somehow. Too tart, and so herbaceous (without being green), and a bit gourmand sweet? Not for beginners at all.

Montecristo begins already bitter and spicy, but still a little fresh and loosened up by some citrus. The remaining notes are not easy to recognize, interwoven. I recognize Patchouli(heavy, sweet, earthy), Rum(fine sweet and fine spicy), Styrax(heavy, sweetish, spicy hints) and celery seeds (earthy and celery halt...). The fragrance has much less wood than the note tree suggests, the cistus rose is said to be slightly woody and Cab(p?)reuva is said to be reminiscent of cedar. Montecristo never delivers more wood. In addition, both are somewhat sweetish, have musk-like nuances. The tobacco, on the other hand, is noticeably more present and gives a cigar flair to the sweet earthiness. This is pleasant, but bites something with the chocolate, or rather, through the astringency of the overall picture, cocoa note (of benzoin). All in all, Montecristo is an earthy fragrance with a few spicy and many sweet nuances, but which are not very noticeable because of the tobacco.

For my taste there is too much celery and benzoin in it: less earthy, without cocoa Montecristo would be lived Dolce Vita, Kuba Style. The way he is, it makes you think more of a tobacco farmer's summerhouse in the evening. The field outside the front door would be freshly ploughed. The woman has cooked celery, the children eat chocolate, the tobacco leaves hang on the walls and ferment. Very interesting, but fortunately the Sillage is not obtrusive. Bauernbudenstimmung remains around 7 hours.

Montecristo
Being a newbie to the world of niche perfumery, I'm still fascinated by background stories and inspirations that lead to the creation of niche scents. This is the reason Masque Fragranze initially caught my eye. More specifically, it was their claim that the inspiration behind their fragrances is opera. As I happen to be an opera fan, too, I felt thrilled at the prospect of experiencing the fusion of the worlds of perfume and opera. I began my exploration of their line with Delphine Thierry's “Montecristo”.

I first tested “Montecristo” on a blotter. The moment I smelled it, I reflexively wrinkled my nose. ´This is way too much´, I thought to myself as the scent unveiled its incredibly strong and animalic character. However, rather than being deterred, it was this quality that fuelled my further interest in “Montecristo”. A few days later I dared to apply it on my wrist. The intense animalic opening was still present, but this time, perhaps thanks to its combination with my skin chemistry, it was more subdued and bearable. No more nose wrinkling! “Montecristo” finally managed to reveal its true nature. It's a (super)dry scent, starting off with what I believe must be ambrette and a couple of drops of alcohol (supposedly rum). Also, its animalic note, which is alleged to be hyrax, dominates the head and never entirely disappears from the fragrance. Later on, it blends with a tobacco note as well as with styrax, cedar and patchouli in the base.

The more I test “Montecristo”, the more I adore it. It's a superb example of a true niche perfume, capable of satisfying the tastes of even more demanding perfume connoisseurs. I find “Montecristo” intriguing and, owing to its operatic roots, complex and dramatic. Masque Fragranze is certainly a brand worth watching out for in the future. Bravissimo, Delphine Thierry!

Foustie
Rich and compelling. Terrific!
A rich and compelling fragrance. Classical with a pinch of weird. Terrific!

When I first smelled the opening notes of Montecristo I didn't think that I liked it. Now, having worn it several times I don't know why I ever thought that. I could see that some other folk could find the opening challenging too. But just wait........

Montecristo opens with very boozy notes, and there is something that I personally perceive as over ripe fruit. To me it suggests the peachy bourbon of Southern Comfort rather than rum. There is a strong animalic presence and something herbal too. It is very manly. After a time, fruity tobacco and woody notes gain ground and the the fragrance dries. It is this transformation from the boozy opening to the dry tobacco/woody accords which captivates me. Then Montecristo develops the most beautiful woody fougere type character. Classical but with a pinch of weird.

This woody/tobacco fougeresque accord lasts throughout the development, and I find it utterly compelling. It is deep, rich and mature. I actually find Montecristo to be really sexy and I don't usually find fragrance sexy. It has confidence and solidity. It is the most masculine fragrance that I have smelled in a while, but I have been wearing it and I really enjoy it.

The Downfall of Reviews
Here you are, about to make another expensive purchase after looking up notes and reading reviews about a perfume. Luckily, you decide to get a sample first, as you have been burned before. Something that was described as "a masterpiece" smells to you like hairspray.

You apply the sample and wait. And wait. A faint (or sometimes pungent) smell wafts up at you and you think, "what the hell is that???" Could it be the masterpiece that received all the glowing reviews and had JUST the right notes? In horror, you look around to make sure nothing else is stinking up the space. Surely, you must have applied the wrong sample.

But no, the touted perfume you were about to embrace and fall in love with is something that turns your stomach. So no more relying on reviews for investigating a sense that is as ephemeral as the scented water you spray. How can we describe a smell when so many factors come into play?

Never again.

Drseid
If You Love Animalic Compositions, This One Is For You...
Montecristo opens with a fresh cinnamon and nutmeg spice-like accord before quickly moving to its middle. During the early heart, the composition warms considerably as the early spice joins dry tobacco leaf and a very powerful animalic accord exhibiting facets of fecal civet, powerful musk and thick castoreum. During the late dry-down the animalics, tobacco and warm spice slowly recede to reveal hints of patchouli and the vague natural woody accord underpinning everything. Projection is above average and longevity is average at 8-10 hours on skin.

Montecristo is a tough composition to pin down. On paper the spicy aspects are much more prominent, but as soon as the fragrance is sprayed on skin, the animalic facets come out in full force. The aforementioned potent animalic accord is not easily identifiable as it features facets of many different types of animalics encountered in other compositions yet not quite the same as any. You first notice the fecal aspects commonly encountered with civet, then heavy musk with a cumin-like spice undertone joins in (possibly derived from musk mallow), and finally a thick castoreum adds weight. Quite frankly, the composition represents one of the most aggressive animalic concoctions available, past or present. That said, once the more aggressive facets slowly recede and patchouli and wood from the base are unveiled to blend with their remnants the fragrance really turns into something special. Getting to that stage is going to be tough for many, however, and indeed it was for me. The bottom line is the 150 euros per 100ml bottle Montecristo is a fascinating highly innovative composition that is tough to wear but ultimately rewarding to the brave souls that make it past the potent animalic early heart phase, earning a "very good" 3.5 stars out of 5. Definitely recommended to hard-core animalic lovers.

ItchynoseItchynose 16 months ago
Dark, dense, dusty; like walking into a room where grandpa smoked his pipe and opening a chest full of mothballs and old family heirlooms.
LexaLexa 4 years ago
My statement is short this time: Sexy AF!
AromaXAromaX 4 years ago
Sharpness of creaking leather, testosterone infused sweat on the skin, furry chest and tobacco smelling hands.

Popular Masque

III-I L'Attesa by Masque III-IV Tango by Masque I-III Russian Tea by Masque I-I Terralba by Masque II-II Mandala by Masque II-III (homage to) Hemingway by Masque III-II Romanza by Masque I-IV Times Square by Masque II-IV Kintsugi by Masque III-III Love Kills by Masque II-I Luci ed Ombre by Masque Dolceacqua (2020) by Masque Petra (2012) by Masque