I-III Russian Tea (2014)

I-III Russian Tea by Masque

I-III Russian Tea is a popular perfume by Masque for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is smoky-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMint, Black pepper, Raspberry
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack tea, Magnolia, Everlasting flower
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Birch, Frankincense, Labdanum

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 21.06.2020.

Russian Tea (@Nose.Knows.No.Notes)
• MASQUE MILANO RUSSIAN TEA •

Russian Tea is my first time trying something from the house of Masque Milano. I've been searching for some tea fragrances, so I was anticipating this one.

The opening is nice and bright, with a slightly soapy mint and understated fruitiness. Tea is present from the start, but it wasn't as prominent as I expected. In the opening the tea has a more herbal vibe, because of the raspberry. After the raspberry fades to the background (quite quickly), the bitterness of a black tea comes through and it's really nice. To me, it sits between the smell of dry tea leaves and a cup of tea. Almost immediately the tea has to share the spotlight with a leather note and smoky birch. The leather can be a bit overpowering, or at least it gives this fragrance a different tone from the one I was expecting. The leather and raspberry combination reminds me of Rasasi's La Yuqawam, but much milder.

I think this fragrance works great for Fall/Winter weather, but it's not a warm, comforting fragrance. It's not sweet at all either, but more of a cool smoky scent that's usual in leather fragrances, softened by the tea. That juxtaposition is very interesting, but I feel it also makes finding suitable moments to pick Russian Tea up a challenge. The performance was solid for me, with longevity being carried by a smoky late drydown (I assume still the birch). It's a wonderful experience, and I'm glad that my sample is sizeable enough to last me a couple more wears. Unfortunately, at the pricepoint (125€ for 35ml) Russian Tea will have a hard time making it into my collection, although it's definitely one that suits my taste •

Please follow my IG @Nose.Knows.No.Notes for more reviews and fragrance photography.

Pepdal
Russian leather and black tea
This was the first fragrance that I heard about when Masque Milano started to get more attention in the fragrance community. In general, I am not a big tea fragrance lover, but I was keen to see what all the talk was about with this one. Hope you enjoy the review.
Thanks

Russian Tea Review
A fine combination of the bitter taste of tea leaves and the mild sweet taste of raspberry pies. A smoky smell of texture similar to that of Masque Hemingway envelops the tea table and... I love the cozyness of the birch trees that follow. One disadvantage is the projection range that is too small. After the grating mint explosion of the opening, this fragrance can only be detected by snipping close to the wrist. Will I purchase it again? Never.
Campfire tea
Soo, it's time for tea again. For a tea scent. After many long comments on English, Turkish or Japanese tea scents or tea rituals, I now come for a change to a (yes, yes, also very long) comment on a Russian tea scent.

So, what can we say about the Russian tea culture now? So the Russians are also known for their love to drink tea and it is hard to imagine everyday life without tea. As with many other tea lovers, black tea is the most popular tea, although green tea has become more and more popular for some time now. It is interesting to note that Russian tea was still often smoked, especially back then (when the tea had really arrived in the country). And this wasn't even smoked consciously at the beginning! At that time, many years ago (actually centuries ago), when goods were still being transported around the world (or in countries with such an enormous area as Russia), it took months or even years for the tea to acquire a smoky character during breaks with bonfires, which would later become known as caravan tea, as it was mainly caravans that transported the tea. Yes yes, woe to the one who ran out of tea... not because of the smoky taste, which is quite nice and which became a trademark, but because of the transport time... :D

If you were already complaining today that something you ordered in Amazon, for example, would in the worst case not arrive for a week or two, what would you have said back then? If you ordered tea in Amazon in the 16th or 17th century, you would be shown a delivery time of 16-18 months! :DD
Hmm... it's funny, by the way, that some people who can't do anything with technology would even believe me that online shopping already existed in the 16th century :DD
Or even teenagers who were born with a tablet could be picked up with it, because they think that the internet has always existed and is omnipresent... bah, they don't even know anymore what a video or MC cassette is, even MP3 players are out by now, because you can only listen to music with your smartphone,... *sigh* The poorest probably can't even go to the toilet without Alexa ("Alexa!) One toilet flush please...!" ... oh I'm just waiting for the day when the network will break down and toilets won't have a flush button anymore, because everything will be digital and online only, then the whole thing will stink to heaven, mu ha ha ha ha :DD).

But enough digression! Let's get back to tea. I am glad that I liked this fragrance, because it had been on my watchlist for so long, that I would have been quite disappointed if the fragrance hadn't been so great...

The fragrance:
The scent begins briefly with a citrus scent, which first smells of lemon/mint, but then more of bergamot and only a little later reminds of mint. But then also the black tea smell is used, so that one can smell an unmistakable, black tea. The tea scent, however, appears quite spicy and smoky. The spicy one could come from the pepper, because if you smell it exactly, you can perceive black pepper. The smoky,... well, I don't know where it comes from (incense maybe?)... but it's smoky, so the tea appears smoked. And so it should be, that is the special character of the tea scent here.
There is also a leather note that smells okay, but in my opinion could have been a little weaker. But... a little later the leather actually becomes a little weaker again, but remains smellable.
The tea remains, while the smoky character weakens a little, so that you can smell the citric note again a little bit, so that the tea looks as if there is a slice of lemon in the glass :)
A little later one smells most of the fragrances in about the same intensity, that is the tea, the leather, as well as the incense, which by the way is now also recognized as incense, because it no longer smells like the stronger incense fragrance as in the beginning, but lighter and more resinous. It is accompanied by a small, fine and slightly powdery sweetness. All in all, a beautiful fragrance that will appeal to tea lovers above all.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is good, especially at the beginning the scent is still intense and you leave a scent cloud, which is not soo big, but at least it is a scent cloud :) So I think for a while you'll be reasonably smelly for a while.
The shelf life is quite good, because due to the spicy and resinous nature of the fragrance, it lasts much longer than if it were only citric. Ten hours in, I'd say.

The bottle:
At first glance, the bottle looks like a noble container for precious Chinese scrolls. In any case, the bottle is cylindrical and filled with yellowish scented liquid. The name and everything else was printed directly on the bottle. A metal disc was attached to the neck of the bottle, on which not only the spray head sits, but also the name of the fragrance and even the name of the perfumer can be seen. The solid lid is cylindrical and is composed of three plates and therefore looks like a coil or something. I think it's very well done!

Oh yes, I like I-III Russian Tea. The smoked one at the beginning may seem a little unusual for some, but I think that this smoky one gives this tea scent its speciality, makes it more diversified and therefore represents a bigger difference to other tea scents.

Even the leather, which I felt a little too strong at the beginning, quickly became weaker and adapted well to the rest of the fragrance. Therefore, this fragrance is recommended for all those who like tea very much, no matter if you like to drink tea or only smell in fragrances and inevitably drink coffee instead of tea! :D
But I have to admit that I also had a cup of coffee when I wrote these words at the beginning, but now there is a cup of tea next to me, as well as some biscuits or cookies I got from a dear perfumer and yes, everything is fine and beautiful! Above all the cat sleeps, so he doesn't try to paw my cookies all the time :)
Yeah, the whole thing's a little Christmas party before Christmas! Sleeping cat who is cute to look at, nice warm tea, delicious cookies and a great smell! The only thing that would be catastrophic now is if the internet should fail (again like before) :D

So, this fragrance is due to its smoky and also (slightly) spicy note more a fragrance for colder days, so autumn and winter and is especially usable now in December very great. It's not a party scent, but you can still use it for a "normal" night out! Like I said, I'd recommend a test

Nondescript but Enduring Tea
Russian Tea goes on with a tea vibe, somewhat cool, and definitely laid back. Gets a little prickly-powdery and warm as time goes by, but it keeps up the tea note all day long. Longevity is a solid 12 hours, and silage is low but discernible at 6” or so.

Now I like the idea of a tea note, but tea alone doesn’t really do much for me. If I want a laid back vibe, I’d rather put on Nautica Voyage or Hugo Boss Hugo, as those scents are laid back, but still interesting. Even Atelier Cologne's Oolang Infinity makes more sense by contrast; pepper and carnation prevent the tea from lulling you to sleep. Russian Tea lacks oomph. After the initial dance, it just sits out the rest of its life, staring at walls.

Tea for tradition
Tchaikovsky violin plays in radio. Home, carpets, some frames of lubok paintings and family pictures. No one speaks a word, dragon exhale steam sound of a fat brass samovar tells everything…
Outside; woodpeckers on birches - the worried slender beholders of forests - and winter is almost come, no leaves left for trees to hinder the expansion of remote sounds of woodpeckers towards all entire woods. A tall man, golden beard, walks in with trunks of wood to charge fireplace. Smell of tea spread through home. Glass cups, cakes and beet sugars are on table. It's tea time...
Groundbreaking woody leather tea
9.5/10

Raspberry Tea
Basically, raspberry tea, but the raspberry isn’t overwhelming at all. Although a unisex fragrance, I think it borders feminine. Nothing dark or mysterious about it, in fact, it’s a little too bright for my personal taste. And I’m not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I feel sinus pressure in my head since I applied this morning. And I recall pain in my head the LAST time I wore this, too. Overall, for a more masculine tea fragrance, I prefer Bvlgari Pour Homme from 1996.

Foustie
Crisp and refreshing with deep body.
Are you sure that you know the scent of black leaf tea?

Russian Tea is a bold rendition of black leaf tea. Not green tea, not herb tea, definitely not chai, and certainly not tea bags. In fact I just smelled tea bags for the sake of it and I realised that they smell of paper, not tea.

Smell some good black leaf tea, of whatever type, and you will see that it has a complex fragrance of it's own. You might smell citrus notes, hay, tobacco, barnyard or cowshed notes, tarry notes, herbal notes, liquorice, smoky notes, and yes, I suppose, leather. It is no wonder that it translates so well to perfumery.

If you live in a nation of black tea drinkers you will know, or you will remember this smell, or if you use proper leaf tea you will know it. In the days before tea bags, leaf tea was kept in a caddy. The smell when the caddy was opened to make tea was really intense, darkly fragrant. Where I come from some of the older people used to like "stewed" tea, so the pot of tea was left to simmer gently on the stove top for a long time, with the tea getting richer and more concentrated as the day went on. The fragrance could permeate the house.

The black tea is present right from the beginning of Russian Tea but the first note you will smell is a lovely dry herbal mint. It is quite fleeting but it sets the scene wonderfully. For me, from there on in it is tea all the way. I don't smell the raspberry note as such, or the magnolia. It just all adds up to the most wonderful black tea accord, but because of the complexity, the mystery, the possibilities, of that accord, it continues to hold interest all the way through, and it has very good longevity. In the longer development there are woody and birchtar notes and in the deepest drydown, (being the next morning!) a little immortelle lingers on the skin.

The fragrance has a dry character and it is very refreshing. It is crisp but it has deep, deep notes too. It is modern but the central accord has a timeless, elegant quality. It will be lovely, quite special, anywhere, anytime and on anyone.

The History of Russian Tea
There are perfumes that create histories with their descriptions and there are perfumes that tell in their aromas the histories that their descriptions say to us.This last type is rarer, since it demands a bigger artistic effort and more freedom, be it in creation or in formula price. But the result is like Russian Tea, when it happens it is fantastic. This creation in inspired in the russian tea tradition and recounts it through its more traditional variety, the black tea, that was introduced on Russia more to the end of 16th century and started to be imported through the Tea Route between the Russia and China. The lading took from 16 to 18 months to arrive and its smell got smoky during the way because of the campfires on the trup. The tea was, once it arrived, prepared in a concentrated forma, in metal containers called Samovars, and each person would put its best water amount and drinked it with what accompaniments they desired. Russian Tea tells this history on a beautiful way on the skin. The smoky and hot tea aroma is enhanced by the more smoky leather nuance. The mint here seems to add a herbal dry complementar aroma.The mixture is very interesting, since that at the same time it reflects the tea history it also seems to reassemble another russian classic, the leather aroma, only here used in a secondary way with the tea.It's brilliant to me the strawberry use in this composition, that gives not too sweet and slightly bitter smell to it as the was being offered with a delicious fresh jam. The imortelle gives the overall idea a dark, sugary aroma, preparing the composition to a transition into a base of incensed swetness, of pretty cozy ambar accord, quite harmonious between its vanilla and benjoin nuances.The perfumer that created Russian Tea, Julian, seems to have constructed a new history combining elements of his two former creations to Naomi Goodsir: the ambery sugary sweetness can be seen on Cuir Velours whereas the dry and smoky aroma, similar to the black tea here, can be found on Bois d'Ascese. The combination of both with mint, strawberry and the classic russian leather aroma is striking, a history very well told.

Magnolia Power
Wouldn't expect to have to go to Russia to get an authentic Magnolia note, but that's exactly what lies at the heart of this fragrance. The top is a potent Mint/Pepper combo softened a tad (but not two tads, mind you) by Raspberry, but it's the heart and the thrilling base that appeal to me. My neighborhood is full of magnolia trees. The air is redolent when they bloom. This magnolia is authentic, it's the grandiflora, Strawflower distinguishes it and the black tea makes it rich. These beauties ride on the gorgeous, involving base, all four notes joining hands to dazzle. Where will I wear it? Around the house the livelong day, feeling like Catherine the Great. Where outside? This isn' the sort of perfume made for the opera. It wants to be front row at the Heavyweight boxing championship, at the Preakness, at Mardi Gras, at the Running of the Bulls. It wants to be worn by a woman hanging out with the guys, keeping with them drink-for-drink and trading jokes . It also wants to be worn by a man. I LOVE Russian Tea von Masque.

JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 16 months ago
Absolute joy of a perfume. Vodka accord opening with a lovely mint. It turns into a beautiful smoky leathery perfume.

by GewoonBB
by GewoonBB

Popular Masque

III-I L'Attesa by Masque III-IV Tango by Masque I-I Terralba by Masque II-II Mandala by Masque II-III (homage to) Hemingway by Masque I-IV Times Square by Masque III-II Romanza by Masque I-II Montecristo by Masque II-IV Kintsugi by Masque II-I Luci ed Ombre by Masque III-III Love Kills by Masque Petra (2012) by Masque