Mauboussin 2000

Mauboussin by Mauboussin
Bottle Design Patrick Mauboussin (Schmuckdesigner in der 6. Generation)
Mauboussin is a popular perfume by Mauboussin for women and was released in 2000. The scent is fruity-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Lorience.

Christine Nagel

PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
CedarCedar

Submitted by Bergamotte, last update on 17.01.2022.

No "Granny-scented"

...and yet he reminds me of old times. He reminds me of my great-grandmother, my "Bohemian grandmother"
The smell when you visited her, the small living room-kitchen, the small, full bedroom,
where only one person could walk, let alone stand in it. A - for me as a child back then - huge
Wardrobe made of high gloss cherry, a huge double bed, a small chest of drawers and a window.
You came in and could jump into this huge bed right away. Flop........ and off you went, because the pillows and blankets were so thick in former times, that you could only be seen with the tip of your nose.
Self-crocheted pot holders in the form of little dresses, toilet paper dolls that you put over the toilet roll to make it look a little more elegant, although everyone knew what was hidden under the little dress.
The smell of warmth and coffee, of old and tenderness, of security and love, of "I can do anything today" and full of old stories. Arms in which you could cuddle up and a loving look that whispered with the blink of an eye: "I love you my little one". Phew, I've got a few tears in my eye now... hachz.
Mauboussin is all that. Sparkling and cheerful, the citrus scents burst into your nose as if you were just the
Grate the peels of lemon and orange. Not sour, but sweetish, tangy. Plum, a plump, dark purple, which almost falls from the tree when it is ripe, if there were not hands to pluck it beforehand.
Flowering jasmine, buds of ylang-ylang that are about to burst open, a velvety, bright red rose with its pointed thorns. You walk barefoot across a meadow that was previously used as a sunbathing area for sun worshippers. Grated grass, a bit of earth, green-mossy-earthy. A little woody, but warm. My hated sandalwood, which just fits into this scent, so it doesn't get too trollish, oily. My, words, they don't exist, but they just bubble out. A warm, fruity ambergris scent that dares to dance the evening away with the beautiful vanilla freshly scraped from the pod. Everything, everything together is so wonderfully full of memories. A warm, slightly sparkling scent that somehow reminds one of the 80s. A scent worth testing.
Wonderful
Since I had to dispose of a bottle of this fragrance a few weeks ago, which I had probably left lying around in my colourful collection for too long and whose top note was unfortunately totally ruined, Mauboussin hasn't let me go Because when emptying the atomizer I accidentally spilled a little bit on my shirt and was very surprised when after a while an enchanting scent blew around me, which was due to the at first not very pleasant smelling stains.
The shirt wandered into the laundry, but the scent persisted in my memory.
A little research on Mauboussin revealed that the perfume is a mega-bargain, given the very ambitious prices for the brand's jewellery, and so what belongs together came together.

This opulent, soft, warm bouquet had me from the first second on and in my enthusiasm I am a bit irritated that currently 68 members own the fragrance, but so far only 3 comments and 2 statements have been made about it.
Such a beautiful, round fragrance, in which head, heart and base form a unit, I had to search for a long time.
I do not smell the fruit and not explicitly the flowers, for me Mauboussin is immediately an Oriental, which gets along completely without spices.
In between I find a note that I also recognized in Micallefs Hiver, and when comparing the two there are definitely parallels.
However, I like Mauboussin better by classes, especially since after a while he develops an irresistible elegance besides opulence.
He is not loud, has no huge silhouette, but stays close, but very persistent with me.
I'm struggling for words, but I can't really describe him. It is not very sweet, neither fruity nor flowery, not powdery or balsamic, it is not easy to classify and yet it is a stunning work of art, which I admire very much
The only downer: I don't consider hoarding in view of my experience described at the beginning and I would be heartbroken if I had to throw some of it away again.

Plum Liqueur & Dirty Patchouli
My review is based on Extrait and EDP in 2/3 purple top - 1/3 silver bottom - red interior box with Place Vendôme address, which I assume is the original version.

The EDP opens with a blast of plum and mirabelle. They are intensely syrupy and saturated with sugar, which occasionally remind me of the jammy mirabelle note in Givenchy Dahlia Divin. But when amber and earthy patchouli soon burst into the scene, these stone fruits become much more boozy and medicinal, as if someone poured a bottle of plum liqueur on a floor covered with mold and dirt. The combination of boozy plum and bitter, dirt-like patchouli is indeed reminiscent of Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Chéri, par Camille, but Mauboussin EDP is less dry and austere, and is instead more enveloping thanks to the caramel warmth of benzoin.

I have a low tolerance of boozy plum amber, so the initial phase of Mauboussin EDP is quite difficult for me. But once the booziness and the almost sticky syrupy texture calm down after about 3 hours, the fragrance achieves a wonderful balance between dry woody and opulent oriental, with the medicinal and slightly ozonic patchouli being the central force to keep the sweetness of plum and amber in check.

I can see the reference to Mugler Angel because of its earthy and almost sharp patchouli undercutting the rich sweetness, Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon because of both being unapologetically boozy, Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant because of the strong plum note. But Mauboussin is still quite different in smell, because Angel has a much sharper contrast between fierce patchouli and gourmand chocolate while Mauboussin tends to unite them in harmony right from the beginning, Cartier is more almond-y while Mauboussin is dominated by plum liqueur, and Kenzo is much drier and spicier while Mauboussin seems mellower and more resinous in character.

The Extrait has an overall similar olfactory profile with EDP on my skin, but the evolution from boozy plum to the amber patchouli woody oriental dry down takes almost 6 hours instead of 3 hours, and the plum feels more ripe, more luscious and even more boozy, with a more noticeable unctuous caramel undercurrent.

The sillage of both concentration are heavy to moderate, with EDP lasting for at least 14 hours and Extrait up to 18 hours on my skin.

Despite its glowing reviews, I would incline to consider Mauboussin as a quite polarising fragrance and would suggest against blind buying: its concentrated plum liqueur opening can be cloying and its medicinal, bitter patchouli can be interpreted as brash. However, if you enjoy these two aspects and are looking for a rich woody oriental adorned with lavish stone fruits, Mauboussin is definitely worth a try.

In the mood
Glenn Miller might turn in his grave. The sound of swing became firmly established in 1939 as war engulfed the world. Mauboussin Jewellers of Place Vendome in Paris were celebrating their 100 year anniversary and it stayed within the family until 2002. Two years before the sale Christine Nagel had been commissioned to create a perfume worthy of the Mauboussin reputation, which now carried a 160 year tradition and was as recognisable in
France as Tiffanys is in New York. (Shame that Tiffanys bought the French Crown Jewels)

Today Christine Nagel sits with Jean Claude Ellena in the Hermes Bleachers, where her Eau de Cartier is in keeping with the transparent Ellena style.. Is she proud of Mauboussin? In a published interview Ms Nagel said she would have given her life's work, her eye teeth, her soul to the devil (you see, I forget exactly) to have created Feminite du Bois.....perhaps Mauboussin may have been her sincerest form of flattery, given that she would never have imitated it too openly. Plum, woods, patchouli, amber, and rose are all to be found in this delectable darling which morphs beautifully into French élan from its caramel beginning. I love it. It's the full orchestra, everything but the kitchen sink, but dang, it works just like Glenn Miller's big band. I want a boned corset with a big taffeta lined dance skirt. I want to be in the mood to wear Mauboussin. If you have perfume eating skin, if you don't mind getting a glow on, letting music fill the air, in the shank of the night, when the doin' is right this is for you and you can tell 'em I'll be there.

jtd
Chewy woody oriental draped with old fruit. Gorgeous.
Mauboussin is a big-boned inedible fruity oriental. It doesn’t always strike me as appealing, but it’s always striking. The fruit, plummy, peachy, mandarin, is just a bit rotten. It’s turned fruit that smells good in a brandy-like way but also warns you that it’s no longer edible. Actually, boozy isn’t quite it. Turned fruit and benzoin together smell to me like bitter, alcohol based herbal tinctures. It’s all a reflection of that push-pull food-but not-edible quality that the only gourmands I like seem to have.

The dissonance lasts to drydown when dusty cedar and sweet patchouli fight for the dominant woody tone. Mauboussin is not so much either conflicted or indecisive as ready to pounce one way or the other at a given moment.

Choose the EdP, not the EdT
I initially tried an EdT decanted sample. Based on reviews, I was expecting sweet, boozy fruit, perhaps something along the lines of Badgley Mischka. Mauboussin EdT isn't like that on me, not at all. I found it to be a lack-luster gourmand, just plain and boring, and I completely dismissed the fragrance. Upon the urging of a friendly fumie, I tried it again. But this time, I tried the EdP.

Mauboussin EdP is a wonderful fruity oriental. The fruit accords on top are full of depth and texture. It is predominantly patchouli & incense early on, although the vanilla & tobacco is clearly there. Several hours into a wear, I get a predominately powderly vanilla which immediately reminds be of Guerlain L'Instant. Those who enjoy other Nagel fragrances, such as JDP In Black, Theorema, and to a lesser extent Lalique Encre Noire, will recognize the similar accords used in those fragrances appearing here in Mauboussin.

Mauboussin is a fragrance for cold nights and winter days. With an integrated cap that twists to spray, testers are a safe purchase. In the States, 50ml testers are available for about $20 and 100ml NIB are available for $30-35 from reputable e-tailers. Mauboussin is a must-have for anyone who likes this style of fragrance or Christine Nagel creations. However, get the EdP, not the EdT.

MaliboMalibo 5 months ago
Consistently beautiful, regardless of the version, a wonderful composition with excellent parameters and architecture. Treasure!

by TIA1971
by TIA1971
by EvaK
by EvaK
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Mauboussin

Mauboussin Homme by Mauboussin Mauboussin Private Club by Mauboussin Mauboussin M Generation by Mauboussin Aequalis by Mauboussin Promise Me Intense by Mauboussin Cristal Oud by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Elle Elixir by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Lui In Black by Mauboussin Une Histoire d'Homme Irrésistible by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Lui Time Out by Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Elle by Mauboussin Mauboussin In Red by Mauboussin Mademoiselle Twist by Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau Améthyste by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Lui by Mauboussin Le Secret d'Arielle (Eau de Parfum) by Mauboussin Promise Me by Mauboussin Une Histoire de Femme Sensuelle by Mauboussin Mauboussin à la Folie by Mauboussin