Mauboussin Private Club (2018)

Mauboussin Private Club by Mauboussin

Mauboussin Private Club is a new perfume by Mauboussin for men and was released in 2018. The scent is spicy-sweet. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Lorience.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Black pepper, Cardamom, Coriander
Heart Notes Heart NotesCinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Patchouli

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 30.08.2019

9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

Carlitos01
Seductive blue elegance in a bottle
I rarely make a blind purchase of a perfume just being edited. However, due to the quality of my Mauboussin latest purchases, my enthusiasm lowered my defenses, and I blind bought the brand-new Mauboussin Private Club.

I never understood the need for some designers to use over decorated giant card boxes to contain a flask ten times smaller. In this case the box is small (which is good) and extremely stylish.
The 100 ml deep navy blue glass bottle, shaped like the previous M Generation flask, and with the Mauboussin name in a small gold band, is extraordinarily beautiful and elegant. So far this box/bottle package may constitute an exquisite inexpensive gift eligible for someone I treasure or love.

The juice...
The perfume was a very pleasant surprise right from the first spray. The opening occurs without any alcoholic burst and the scent floods the environment with a soft citrus note and a strong accord of fresh spices. A heady note of black pepper dominates, but it's very well blended with coriander and cardamom. The projection is strong, but not in excess, and there is no danger of nausea.
From the outset I notice some resemblance to Penhaligon's Love Potion 9 and this impression is also occurs during the drydown. This is tantamount to saying that a similarity with YSL Opium may exist as well, although the listed notes are completely different. I want to refer to "likeness" which is very different from "copying", and I don't even suspect that Mauboussin pretends to enter in the "clone" market. Private Club is a very unique and fantastic fragrance but we mortals have the need to frame comparisons with something we already know. These olfactory references also extend to the opening of Versace Dylan Blue and YSL "La Nuit de l'Homme Parfum" and to the V & R "Spicebomb" drydown. It is easy to make an association with Eros as well. As initial credentials this perfume could not be better endorsed.
The spicy opening notes extend practically until the beginning of the drydown. During the evolutionary journey they are enriched by a hot and sensuous bittersweet cinnamon heart note, which marks this perfume with an elegant and romantic sweetness.
In the bottom notes, an earthy patchouli and a cozy warm and slightly powdery amber, blend with the previous notes creating a fantastic strong spicy oriental setting.
The initial spices soften slowly, making the oriental nature of the fragrance more salient during the long drydown. This one is triangulated solely by cinnamon, patchouli and amber.

The longevity is immense, having exceeded 10 hours in any of my 2 sprays applications. The sillage reaches 8+ feet but with an unnatural high persistence, ensuring a strong projection for more than 4 hours.

Experiencing and testing this perfume without having read or heard any opinion about it before, has been a remarkable experience. I felt like a prospector who unexpectedly found some gold nuggets. But what you get out of this fragrance, it's pure masculinity, with no metrosexual or unsisex vibes at all. It's not a fragrance for boys as well. I picture confident men of 30 and up, wearing it in formal occasions, and having a very elegant, unique and distinguished scent around him. The message it passes is one of sophistication, class, seriousness, experience and maturity.
I guess the house of Maboussin is in full swing due to the remarkable quality of its last editions, and this Private Club perfume will be a great success for sure. As far as I'm concerned, I found my new Autumn scent. Since I know I'm going to use it a lot, I'd better buy a backup bottle.

I'm curious about the result of the math test:
- Scent opening............8.5 (almost irreproachable)
- Scent Dry Down.........9.0 (near perfect)
- Longevity....................9.0 (10+ hours on my skin, with 3 sprays)
- Sillage..........................8.5 (sillage of 8+ feet; it projects for 3.0 hours with 2 sprays)
- Versatility....................8.5 (quite versatile, although not a solution for summer days or any type of hot weather)
- Usability......................9.0 (avoid the beach, the gym or any activities where you may sweat; very good for formal events, evening wear, night out and clubbing)
- Compliments..............8.5 (people will notice you as distinct, elegant, sophisticated and sexy but not cute; above average compliments by the ladies)
- Uniqueness.................9.0 (reasonably unique; I picked up the vibes stated in the text above)
- Quality.........................9.0 (well above average quality ingredients; magnific smooth blending;
Issue: the cap is so tight to the bottle that it seems to be glued and disaster may happen with the huge effort needed to uncap the flask)
- Presentation ..............10.0 (one of the best I have ever seen)
- Price..............................9.5 (100 ml EDP flask - €26,00 in ShowroomPrivé)

- Average:......................8.95/10.00 (wooow!)
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

My conclusion: A fantastic perfume in an awesome flask, One of my best blind buys ever. My advice? Just buy it before it doubles the price!

Music: Shubert's Serenade by Nana Mouskouri

AmberScent 10 months ago
It's an alluring fragrance, half blue, half woody/spicy/resinous. It does ressemble both to the blue Dylan and to Beloved Man. Odd but true!+3
Carlitos01 12 months ago
Private Club stands as a very elegant gentleman choice, with an overall feeling of charm, smartness and sophistication. Terrific perfume!+4

Popular Mauboussin

Mauboussin Homme by Mauboussin Mauboussin by Mauboussin M Generation by Mauboussin Mauboussin Elixir pour Elle by Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Elle by Mauboussin Aequalis by Mauboussin Mauboussin Private Club by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Lui In Black by Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau Améthyste by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Lui by Mauboussin Emotion Divine by Mauboussin Cristal Oud by Mauboussin À la Folie by Mauboussin Mauboussin pour Lui Time Out by Mauboussin Promise Me Intense by Mauboussin Une Histoire d'Homme Irrésistible by Mauboussin Promise Me by Mauboussin Lovely à la Folie by Mauboussin Mauboussin Rose pour Elle by Mauboussin