Brighton Rock (2019)

Brighton Rock by Miller Harris

Brighton Rock is a new perfume by Miller Harris for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is sweet-fruity.

Julie Pluchet

Top Notes Top NotesRose, Geranium, Iris
Heart Notes Heart NotesLily-of-the-valley, Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood, Ozonic notes, Salty notes
Base Notes Base NotesSweets, Heliotrope, Musk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 29.08.2019

9.0 6.0 9.0 9.0/10

Smellie13
Stories (in the head) or: sometimes it just fits..
"Brighton Rock" is part of Miller Harris' Colour Collection together with "Blousy" and "Ida Violet" (2018), which were also newly released. Three fragrances designed to capture the different facets of Brighton, also known as "London next the Sea". Slightly faded glamour, fun, music, salty and candy-candied air, combined with an ubiquitous urban undertone, should be captured by these fragrances in different facets according to the manufacturer's side.
Furthermore, these three perfumes are supposed to take up the era and tone of Graham Greene's 1930s novel Brighton Rock of the same name and bring that nostalgic atmosphere into the fragrance.
I first had to read the contents of the novel, it is probably a psychological thriller or rather a fatal love story, playing in the gangster milieu. Interestingly, there is a novel character named Ida Arnold, who probably inspired "Ida Violet" with her name!?
I don't want to bore you with further theory, anyway the added value of these stories constructed around a fragrance or an actual background story is put there. You can tell you a lot there...
In this special case, however, I was in the exciting position of being able to sniff the information directly and that was the case: last week my husband and I visited our daughter. She's doing an internship, you can guess, in Brighton.
The day before I read here on Parfumo about the new release "Brighton Rock" and found this coincidence very funny. I also loved the sugar colour of the bottle.
Back to the beach in Brighton and finally to the fragrance:
First I smell a fruity rose, which evokes a guerlinade association due to a very rich round scent mixture.
Probably because of the ozonic and salty notes I can understand a beach feeling well. Candied sweets are added and due to a pink-powdery make-up note (slightly synthetic) I can also imagine the nostalgia in my head cinema.
The fragrance is light, almost ethereal, but lasts very long. In the base remains a wonderful creamy vanilla-mandelige heliotropic note paired with fresh lily of the valley. According to the pyramid I seem to perceive lily of the valley and sweets in a quasi reversed way...
There's one thing I didn't tell you. Again and again a synthetic (plastic) note swings into my nose, reminiscent of petrochemistry. This can be smelled especially on the scent strip or on clothing. To be honest, I don't like this note very much and I wouldn't have needed it, and I don't know what it's made of. But from the moment I had imagined a tanker passing by, it fits again and rounds off the beach feeling ;-)
I summarize: for me a great bottle, a pleasant fragrance, a personal story about it on the one hand, on the other hand I can easily understand the picture drawn by the manufacturer in my head.
"Brighton Rock" is therefore a wonderful memory of the visit to our daughter in Brighton and much more than a perfume.
If you "need" the fragrance without this story, you have to find out for yourself. I find it pleasant, but I'm sure it's not a highlight that you haven't smelled yet.
But in my case it just fits and my dear daughter will have a bottle for me in her luggage on her return journey tomorrow :-)

Popular Miller Harris

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris La Fumée by Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris Noix de Tubéreuse by Miller Harris Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris Violet Ida by Miller Harris La Pluie by Miller Harris Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris Étui Noir by Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent by Miller Harris Figue Amère by Miller Harris Cœur de Fleur by Miller Harris Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris Rose en Noir by Miller Harris Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris La Fumée Arabie by Miller Harris La Fumée Ottoman by Miller Harris