Étui Noir 2016

Étui Noir by Miller Harris
Étui Noir is a popular perfume by Miller Harris for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is smoky-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamotItalian bergamot
LeatherLeather
AmberAmber
BirchBirch
Labdanum absoluteLabdanum absolute

Submitted by CPL, last update on 12.01.2022.

My 99 per cent perfume
Consider this:
What if we had to fight to get 99 per cent satisfaction on any issue important to us? Sounds good, doesn't it? But how good is that really?
99 per cent means you almost have it, but... there's still some minor issue to complain about. How much does the end result of 100 per cent cost? Is there even such a perfect option to begin with? Depending on perspective, sometimes 99 per cent is simply not enough. Other times it is quite satisfactory or even more than enough.
I always hope never to find my 100 per cent perfume. If I happen to find that perfect perfume, half the fun of this scent hobby will be gone. However, there are some perfumes that really do seem to have been "tailor-made" for me.

In this Étui Noir by Miller Harris I find my notes of choice, and so well blended together that the scent is simply divine for my nose.
On opening, we get a resinous, citrusy puff of balsamic pine. It's a bold note of elemi resin lightly sweetened by tangerine. Just a slight freshness diluted by the dominant resin, exactly the way I like it.
The heart accentuates the balsamic register which gradually grows, evolving into a smoky incense mixed with a note that is slightly floral and also presents woody and earthy nuances. The elemi resin ambience surrendered, at this point, to the purest incense combined with my favourite masculine near floral note, the iris butter note also known as orris root wax.
The solemnly resinous and balsamic (but not liturgical) environment is now created to fully develop the fragrance's main chord, a pungent leather reminiscent of tanned hide, amplified by smoky birch tar and dry, earthy, woody, leathery and smoky Haitian vetiver... but just enough vetiver to keep the global scent it away from just another good variation of Encre Noire Eau de Toilette. Its uniqueness is totally preserved.
It's not a master of versatility, but I'm not looking for that either, because I like to vary the fragrances I wear. It's not ace when it comes to compliments, but I'm always more concerned with pleasing my nose as a priority. The price is ok, or even cheap for the amount of pleasure it gives me. The presentation is very much in the normal Miller Harris style, so not spectacular, but still very tasteful.
So, what do I lack? If it had a little more performance, it would be a more than perfect perfume for these current gloomy late autumn days.
I'll keep looking for the perfect perfume for a few more years... And until I find my 100 per cent perfume, I will keep writing these texts, and quite possibly Étui Noir will still remain as my signature perfume.

Music: Fairground Attraction - "Perfect"

"It's got to be worth it,
Too many people take second best
But I won't take anything less
It's got to be... Perfect"
Between day and night
Christmas is coming, and I'm looking for perfume gifts.

Not an easy task, because I would like to surprise, but also meet the taste of the dear opposite.

I know that her friend likes British fragrances that convey both class and understatement.

So let's go to the English shop.
There is no testing - you know what you want, or you rely on your intuition.

There I am addressed by a simple cartouche with the inscription: Etui Noir.
All the more the back: Like day and night . Unapologetically androgynous.
Tempting.

I can't question Parfumo because my Smarty is at home thinking about me.
No risk - no fun.
I'll take the black case with me.

And already the first spray catches me.
It harmonizes with the early dusk, in which gradually of the day haste falls off one.
You come to, summed up, reflected.

I remember that time I liked to spend with my father in his wood-panelled office when we chatted, or were silent, and the blue-grey smoke of his cigar leisurely wandered through the room.
A certain " everyday celebration " surrounded me and I felt safe.

This mood is well captured in Etui noir, although I cannot discover anything black.
A pleasant twilight that does not dazzle, overpowdered by soft iris and deepened by patchouli.
The leather donkeys breathe out antique quality discreetly, but the citric bergamot keeps the fragrance floating.

Noblesse pairs itself with comfort - without any airs and graces.
A perfect end to the day.

KuraiKurai 10 months ago
A fascinating blend of dark resins, charcoal and suede leather. The waxy iris doesn't do it for me, though
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Fantastic! A greasy resinous & balsamic dark scent with sweet leather & vetiver; a complex Guerlain Bois Mystérieux as if done by F. Malle.
DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 5 years ago
1st thoughts cedar and musks. Phaedon Cendres de The, Angeliques sLP have this. ISO E? If it is my skin plays it up far too much.

by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie

Popular Miller Harris

Vetiver Insolent by Miller Harris Violet Ida by Miller Harris La Fumée Arabie by Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris La Fumée by Miller Harris La Fumée Ottoman by Miller Harris Noix de Tubéreuse by Miller Harris Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris Le Pamplemousse by Miller Harris Scherzo by Miller Harris Perfumer's Library - No. 3 Veti Vert by Miller Harris La Fumée Intense by Miller Harris Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris Rose Silence by Miller Harris Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris La Fumée Alexandrie by Miller Harris Poirier d'un Soir by Miller Harris