L'Air de Rien (2006)

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

L'Air de Rien is a popular perfume by Miller Harris for women and was released in 2006. The scent is powdery-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Lyn Harris

Top Notes Top NotesNeroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesOakmoss, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 16.07.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Security
Nothing allows us to experience more humanity on both sides than to feel not only a helping hand in a moment of complete helplessness, existential neediness and highest need, but also to experience security.
These are the lines that come to mind when I spray "L'Air de Rien" on my skin, when it connects to something that gives me an indescribable feeling of security, that makes me feel something like basic confidence while at the same time being completely "naked". It may sound crazy, but it is. I have never before experienced anything like this in such an intense, already really intimate way with any other fragrance. There are too many scents in your head, pictures, memories unwind in your inner eye, but here it's just a feeling that I can't relate to conscious experiences. For a long time I puzzled what I was feeling, I only knew that it was beautiful and to put it into words was incredibly difficult for me.
L'Air de Rien is an unbelievably "skinny" fragrance. After the short nerolistart, which gives the fragrance a beautiful shine, an unbelievable emotional triumvirate is set on my skin. Patchouli + musk + oakmoss. All very loose, whipped like a mousse au chocolat. Slightly vanilla sweetish, dark, a little earthy, warm and soft like skin warmed by a fireplace. So the fragrance is already after a few minutes and it stays that way for hours until it is gently ambered - patchoulig finishes.
It is a rather moderate fragrance from the Sillage, which doesn't bother me here, because I only wear it for myself so far. Without distraction. Very intimate The bottle is kept entirely in the Miller Harris style, simple and of high quality. He is adorned with a sunflower and a naked woman with wings as well as the hand-written lettering "L'Air de Rien by Jane Birkin" which co-created this fragrance.
A fragrance that has touched me like no other, whose beauty is not revealed to everyone and probably never in the same way and should I keep only one fragrance of my collection so it would be with absolute certainty this one.

I can't handle it...
Now I still had the courage to test the fragrance a second time. I wanted to like him so much. Actually, I am always very impressed when fragrances show an exciting course.

Here: a second long idea of Neroli and freshness, then the laaaong way, which is so greislig, that I simply don't get it. Does not have to be described any more, this has already happened many times. And I always thought they were all exaggerating. Towards the end it becomes more fragrant, warm again, with a powdery melt.

I wanted to like the smell so much. Neroli, Patchouli: Baggage scheme. But everything comes completely differently, than thought... jammer, jammer, please excuse me for whining, maybe he will develop much better with others and just doesn't suit me
7.0 7.0 9.0 8.5/10

No breath of nothingness
After reading some comments and blog reviews, I definitely felt that this could be a fragrance for me - I like to have something animal in the base note as well, but it shouldn't be too overwhelming. After all, I want to be able to wear the perfume to work without bothering my patients.
L´Air de Rien actually begins extremely musty, which is probably due to the oak moss. The Nerolinote also doesn't look fresh at all, but dusty, as if you had forgotten the whole thing in an old handbag or box and pulled it out again years later.
The first hour of the session, it looks like a stale oriental perfume and actually has a certain charisma. At this stage, my boyfriend's pretty up his nose.
After the initial phase, however, the fragrance becomes clearly more cuddly, still slightly musty and slightly powdery. Somehow has something of the smell of the old favourite aunt, who used to be a hot sweeper. In addition, there is a slightly unwashed musk note, as if one smells on the scalp of one's dearest, who has taken a shower in the morning but has just completed a working day. Not really sweaty, but also not fresh...
All in all a really unconventional fragrance, which I personally think is really great. Has quite stuff to the signature smell

Janes scented bag
This is the first fragrance I've tested that leaves me completely confused.
And I almost bet I liked it...

It's the third Miller Harris I've been allowed to test. I found both Cassis en Feuille and Figue Amère very interesting and idiosyncratic, but I don't want to wear both.
I have the first positive impression because of the wonderful name, I think L'Air de Rien sounds dreamlike beautiful, and also the relation to Jane Birkin I find promising.
The scent is allowed on the wrist, and I expect something so fragile, transparent that I press my nose much too close to the skin. My first fragrance impression is that I can't smell anything out of it, let alone assign anything to it, except that it feels very skiny very quickly.
I don't have the scent pyramid in my head at first and look only later - I wonder about my so dear and familiar Neroli, no molecule of it makes it into my scent sensation, I search in vain.
I have an urgent impulse to wash dishes quickly. But I have a job to do and use the time until I get home to explore this scent, I want to know why it confuses me so much and I absolutely can't classify it.

As has already been mentioned here several times, the mouldyness comes to light very quickly with me too. No, it's not sweaty, and neither is powder or talcum. It is sweetish, but not synthetic or flowery-sweet, but a mature sweetness. It smells very physical. That's the only word I can think of.
Slowly, the scent reminds me of the little scented bags that older ladies often hang for decades in their wardrobes between pastel-coloured ensembles, flowery blouses with small golden buttons and fine cardigans. Lavender or rose. Only that the scented bags have not smelled of it for a long time, but with the fine silk ribbon they hang so nicely decoratively between the well-kept and well-kept clothes. Even a few mothballs, which haven't done their job for a long time, are behind the sweaters.
And yet L'Air de Rien by no means smells like grandma or old lady.

But I feel immature with the scent, as if I had not gained enough life experience to be able to do justice to this very adult perfume as a wearer. Through this physical in it, I must also think of a certain sexual maturity, of a self-confident handling of one's own body.
But the smell on my wrist also makes me feel somehow unshowered in my skin. I don't get a person in my mind who can imagine this scent. Then I remember Jane Birkin again, with her concise tooth gap, the casual erotic charisma, as she stands at Serge Gainsbourg's side self-confidently in crocheted mini dress and straw hat. No, it is the mature Jane who has suffered strokes of fate, the mother, the singer, who has lost nothing of her charisma.
I am satisfied with this association, and perhaps I understand the fragrance a little better now.
But now I really need to wash it off because I long for freshness.
8.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Polyanthes
Sensual, cosy and intimate. ...
This is a rich and pretty musk on me. For something called l’air de rien it has quite a substantial feel to it. It opens quite innocently with dusty neroli which does carry through the life of the perfume but takes a back seat after a while. It quickly gets dirtied up a bit by the pungent oak moss and patchouli. I’m no lover of clean musks, and LDR is certainly not a clean smelling perfume, I adore the deep musty, ever-so-slightly funky (in the best possible way) muskiness in this. The amber is very, very nice too and gives it some warmth and cosiness.

Like many Miller Harris perfumes It has a classic perfume quality whilst also managing to be contemporary, and very wearable.
I like to wear it on my torso and underarms to really warm it up so that it mixes with my skin chemistry and becomes kind of me, but more. I find it very sensual in a cosy and intimate way. Although I wear perfume primarily for my own pleasure, if others like it too then that’s peachy - I have had very positive responses to this one from the male of the species ;-)

This does seem to be a bit of a polarising fragrance and I think that could be about what your skin does with the oak moss and patchouli in here, there is something about the base which your body chemistry has to like for it to work. I’ve got quite a few of Lyn Harris’s creations from the early 2000’s and I really like the bases she was using at the time, (well, I like everything she was doing really) they just work well for me and I’m so happy about it.

I get moderate sillage and great longevity from this, as the hours pass it becomes a little softer and sweeter with warm vanilla coming through the musk more.
MH is one of my favourite perfume houses.
I love L’air de Rien and it gets top marks from me.

Grey air
L’air de rien is a pleasant and much astute galore of Iso E (incense, smoky cedar) and one of the ambroxide products on the market (musky-grey-ambery fixative), which are blended with stale nuances of evernyl (synthetic, pale oak moss) and an earthy note of patchouli. All smells transparent, restrained, dusty, somehow “cold” yet pleasant like a freezing winter sun, with a peculiar camphor aftertaste providing a creepy feel of gloomy dustiness. Or, if you want to see from another perspective, a patchouli scent transfigured in a greyish, refined, glossy blend. Smoky, airy, velvety and unisex, slightly reminiscent of some late-90’s scents (oddly, I thought of the drydown of Nemo by Cacharel). The only peculiar trait of this fragrance is the choice of blending the “grey” notes (musky-dusty-incensey stuff) with the stale-earthy notes of patchouli and oakmoss, which creates an overall dark ambiance, nostalgic and kind of creepy, as it smells as much dusty as you granny’s living room. Somehow even a bit moldy, although quite plain and clean. By “astute” I meant that it’s literally a small bunch of aromachemicals out of their bottles and put together as they are – therefore, not exactly the most “crafted” or creative scent around in my opinion... but it smells nice (an inoffensive, generic, yet undoubtedly elegant kind of nice), linear and hell persistent (given that half of the notes are theoretically built using fixatives...).

6/10

When nothing is everything
What’s got your face in a knot? Nothing, you say, but everything has lost its shine when your lover cuts you somehow. Rolling in the deep, the scent of his skin, the beat of patchouli, the astringent slap of oak moss, he should know, he should know.

When nothing is something you have L’Air de Rien, yeah, not pretty, what the fluck is pretty when you feel like this. You shout, the accusations are wrung out of you…what….an explanation. Oh, bruised lips, thighs, rumpled sheets, sleep. There’s amber, vanilla, rolling in the hay, sweet sweat and forgiveness in an oversized t shirt.
5.0 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

MasterLi
The smell of Jane Birkin's favourite things...
So the story goes that Jane Birkin, 60's fashion icon, actress, muse, singer and sex idol never liked the smell of most perfumes, and for that reason, rarely wore fragrance. One day, she was introduced by a friend to Lyn Harris, creator and perfumer of Miller Harris, to see if she could make her a custom fragrance (in the 60's she wore Shalimar but never really liked it on her, preferring later to only carry small sachets of pot-pourri in pocket when she went out). What she told Lyn Harris that she hated the smells of hyacinth, tuberose and lilly-of-the-valley in female perfumes... and that she instead loved the smells of her brother's hair, her father's pipe, floor polish, an empty chest of drawers, and old forgotten houses. The result? A perfume called L'Air de Rien or "a hint of nothing", a perfume which wasn't meant to smell like perfume. An "anti-perfume" basically.

Here, Lyn Harris managed to (quite cleverly in my opinion) conjure up some of Jane Birkin's favourite smells by using notes such as Neroli, Patchouli Oakmoss, Amber, Musk & Vanilla. What I get from this is the Oakmoss smell, which was the perfume ingredient Jane Birkin loved the most. A lot of people say that the Musk is quite animalic in here, and what I would say is that, to my nose... there is a hint of something that smells a little like horses here... but I think that it comes from the combination between Patchoulli, Oakmoss and Labdanum (Vanilla & Amber) in the base.

I find this a very intriguing perfume, very unisex in fact. It smells like books and old paper, wood, warm human skin, even stables. But in a very good way! Not offensive at all... just very soft and warm and sensual. It's almost like the smell of a person's warm skin. I find this creation very clever. It's also very "adult" to me. I think you should be a little grown up and experienced to wear something like this. It is quite flexible, but I would suggest sampling first and testing on skin, not paper. It's warm, inviting and passionate. A real "love" fragrance. It reminds me of the smell of libraries and bedrooms... and clothes and warm people. Love it!

L'Air de Rien is definitely one to go out and try. A wonderfully "modern" creation from Lyn Harris, which doesn't smell like perfume but like life itself! full of warm, interesting, passionate people. Try it!
7.5 5.0 7.5 1.0/10

L'Air de Rien
This fragrance opens with a sweet floral and animalistic accord: neroli, musk and the smell of horses mingle into an odd concoction that is both strangely appealing and repulsive at the same time. I noticed the horse smell is stronger near the skin; further away it is less pungent and adds an interesting facet to the neroli-musk composition. I could say it is Clair du Musk with an edge, but most of all it smells just like a circus. This is a very cloying fragrance and lasts for more than 6 hours on my skin.
6.0 6.0 6.0 3.0/10

Nomen est omen
Interestingly enough, I don't perceive this as a "dirty" or "skanky" scent - to me it is just what the name implies - RIEN. Nothing - more or less. It is VERY disappointing, given the commercial blurp on the sample telling us it is an "exquisite oriental with rich notes of French oakmoss, Tunesian neroli, sweet musk, amber and vanilla". I get a faint whisper of neroli on a blurred bed of musk coupled with a menthol-like, harsh top-note. This is neither outstanding, nor rich, but this has l'air de rien when I hoped it had l'air de tout.

So many things, actually
L’Air de Rien is contemporary in that it is one of those super funky oddballs that fumies go for when retreating from the mainstream. Yet surprisingly its greatest virtues are quite old school. It has true top, middle and basenotes in the classical and grand manner.

What we’ve come to expect from current examples of extant perfumes of the old school, composed before 1972 or so, is 90-95% of what they were. But we’re not (I’m certainly not) experts in perfume production and we can’t quite pin down what is different. Even when the facts of the matter are pointed out to me, it doesn’t really help me to understand the qualitative differences. Synthetic civet, no more nitro musks, tree moss (the industry should just go the cream/’creme’ route and call it okemoss), ambergris analogues. If I focus, l’Air de Rien helps me to understand that one thing perhaps lost in the substitutions is a fuller evolution of a perfume over time. These currently produced, veteran perfumes (eg. Worth Je Reviens, Chanel 5, Miss Dior, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Piguet’s Bandit) all appear to have rich or at least strong openings that either simply soften over the course of wearing or change over time by stripping down. By stripping down I mean that the topnotes contain everything in the perfume and that the middle and basenotes are subsets of the top containing just the heavier notes left after the more volatile bits have flown away. I imagine a lot of older perfumes, in trying to conform to IFRA regulations have been forced to go this second route, the early 20th century Guerlains being good examples.
L’Air de Rien has that truly kaleidoscopic feel that vintage perfumes can still give. The top notes are full-bodied and are louder than the middle and base, but not really any richer per se. Like a three act play, each act may contain the same theatrical roles, but the script gives you more information about both the narrative and the characters over time. If the play is well-written, each act gives you elements critical to the whole that aren’t in the other acts.
L’Air is built of very durable materials and has a patient, meandering feel. It’s nothing like a well-built linear fragrance, Lutens’s Feminité du Bois for instance, where you catch different facets at different moments, probably depending on what you choose to pay attention to or tune in to. L’Air is not so capricious; it’s just very well composed. I’ve worn it many times and notice that it follows that same pattern over its 24 hours lifetime each time. Certain moments are dry, others are almost sour, still others are sweet and rich. And the whole experience is entirely coherent.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

L'Air de Quelque Chose Mais Aucune Bibliothèque
I'd be interested to know which libraries Jane Birkin frequents, if Miller Harris L'AIR DE RIEN is supposed to capture their scent. This is far more sweet than dusty, and smells like no book I've ever read.

That said, it is not at all unpleasant. The opening is very ambery, which is odd because amber is usually a base note. Here the initially strong amber swiftly dissipates, leaving a sort of shadow of itself which mingles with the vanilla and the musk.

I think that the person who described this strange creation best may be Christos from Memory of Scent. According to him, L'AIR DE RIEN smells like a baby's head.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that he is right!

by EstherHebe
by Sherapop
by Hergele
by Hergele

Popular Miller Harris

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris La Fumée by Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris Noix de Tubéreuse by Miller Harris Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris Violet Ida by Miller Harris La Pluie by Miller Harris Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris Étui Noir by Miller Harris Figue Amère by Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent by Miller Harris Cœur de Fleur by Miller Harris Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris Rose en Noir by Miller Harris Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris La Fumée Arabie by Miller Harris La Fumée Ottoman by Miller Harris