Terre d'Iris

(2005)
Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris
Where to buy?
Terre d'Iris is a perfume by Miller Harris for women and was released in 2005. The scent is flowery-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange, Calabrian bergamot, Clary sage, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesFlorentine iris, Tunisian orange blossom, Turkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesTree moss, French balsam fir, Patchouli

Submitted by Nasowas, last update on 12.03.2017

Helpful Review    4 Awards
Mossy violet watercolour
Terre d’Iris is easily one of the most compelling and fascinating fragrances by this brand among the ones I have tried so far – a brand which despite its (few) highs and (more frequent) lows, I respect overall. Being a big fan of iris – not necessarily knowledgeable about it, but surely a fan, I am quite picky with iris-based fragrances, and Terre d’Iris, well... it is surely a true keeper for me, for a very reasonable couple of reasons: it smells really good to my nose, and quite unique to my knowledge. It opens in fact as a charming, immediately competent, fascinatingly moody take on iris built on a really inspired, smooth and well-balanced contrast between fresh, tangy herbal notes of lemon, bergamot and sharp, tasty Mediterranean herbs with a fruity drop of orange, and a whole sort of cloudy, damp musky-woody base with patchouli, vetiver and a really subtle, yet perceivable feel of, say, musty mossiness (if you inspire with some strength you get a fantastic distant whiff of bracing, somehow raw yet comforting stale-barn rural nuances provided by – I guess – patchouli infused with oakmoss, that fit marvelously the mood of this composition).

Between these two kind of “opposites” lies her graceful majesty – iris, with a strong accent on its earthy-leafy nuances. Nothing “lipstick”, just a touch of austere yet delicate rooty powder with grassy and “carroty” nuances. The evolution is pleasant and remarkable, albeit closer and closer to skin as minutes pass: the citrus-bergamot freshness evolves slowly into a smooth, slightly creamy, orange-driven nuance blending with herbs, the “cocoa” side of patchouli and the leafier side of iris, which in turn dissolves beautifully among earth, moss, patchouli and herbs. All gets cozier, warmer, a bit sweeter, maybe a bit faint (actually, quite faint) but still showing a consistent, really intriguing contrast between sweet freshness, plushy powderiness and musty-woody earthiness. Quite “whispered”, but it’s all there. It may seem a simple, if not banal composition, but well, the result is great, almost impeccable, and as I said above, quite unique. Or well, I simply can’t think of any other iris fragrance playing these chords, this way, and I’ve never smelled any iris-based scent smelling this earthy, damp, rooty and “rainy” but also bracing, mellow and uplifting. Effortlessly classy and melancholic at once. The drydown reminds me a bit of Prada's Infusion d'Iris drydown, as there's the same bergamot-iris-vetiver vein going on here too, but the mood is quite different here (Prada's all about crisp freshness, here the atmosphere is quite more damp and musty).

Plus (finally!) Lyn Harris’ signature “minimalism” and fondness for dusty-airy notes finds some sense here – the grayish, weightless, almost impalpable texture is just perfect for these notes, taming them down almost to the point of giving them a faded, dream-like substance (so yes, overspraying and frequent reapplications are encouraged). A truly inspired little wonder, maybe a bit too mannered and definitely too light for this concentration, but definitely worthy some attention for me.

7-7,5/10
Scent 3.0/10
2 Awards
Missed potential
Violetty iris with a woody earthy note. Initially quite gentle and floral but a greener almost herbal glabanum type note pokes out and makes the composition a little more harsh and unkind. It begins to have a sort of childish, sweetie, Parma violet aspect but without the endearing sweetness. I'm not getting a citrus vibe from this except if it just adds to this sharp note. It develops further into a harsh herbal woody fragrance similar to a nicer quality air freshener. This had great potential but it appears to have jarred against its intentions. Not suiting my skin.
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 8.0/10
4 Awards
A Perfect Blend of Earth and Flowers
I have Parfumo member ElenaLondon to thank for introducing me to the house of Miller Harris, which in a matter of mere months has leapt up to now number among my favorites! I am very impressed with the creations of Lyn Harris, and TERRE D'IRIS joins the ranks of the many other fine perfumes of this house of which I'd love to have a full bottle. This particular sample was sent to me by the splendid Guusje, whom I also thank!

The opening of TERRE D'IRIS is rather citrusy, but it is shortlived, ceding to a beautiful blend of flowers, herbs and, yes, earthiness, imparted apparently by a combination of patchouli, moss, balsam and fir, which are listed as basenotes. I do not detect any of these elements individually. Instead, what I find is a seamless blend of all of the various elements in this composition. The iris is not quite to the point of being soapy (as in classic perfumes), but it is definitely more like orris root than flower petals. Yet TERRE D'IRIS really is floral in addition to being earthy.

The sensation I have while wearing this perfume is that of walking through a beautiful forest bursting with floral life. The soil is dark and rich and soft but not wet, creating a sponge-like effect under my feet. Sunshine is streaming through the leaves and needles of the tall, majestic trees reaching up to the heavens.

This is simply a wonderful perfume. I'm not sure whether my vial (now drained...) contained eau de toilette or eau de parfum, but the longevity and sillage are both good on my skin. TERRE D'IRIS is definitely going on my wish list!

Thank you Guusje and ElenaLondon for expanding my perfumic horizons!
Sillage 2.5/10
Longevity 2.5/10
Scent 6.0/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Incredible opening ... and then not so much
The opening of this fragrance is lovely - it's herbal, it's green. I like it, then I don't, I like it, I don't. The scent is very active, changeable. It's almost like it is playing with your impressions, right there, on your skin. Then, all of a sudden, it becomes INCREDIBLE. There is iris, there's white florals, then there is iris, and more green. It becomes dirt, earthy, roots. It's an iris in the ground, in all it's brown & green glory.

Wow. I love this opening. All 10-20 minutes of it.

Then, something happens, I'm not quite sure what, but the show is over. It becomes some kind of average, everyday, ordinary LIGHT scent on me, but the show is over.

I have a sample of this. I'll probably get another. I would buy a bottle in a heartbeat if the show continued. It's glorious. All 10-20 minutes of it. But it's not a fragrance, it's a limited time experience.

Popular Miller Harris

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris La Fumée by Miller Harris Noix de Tubéreuse by Miller Harris Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris La Pluie by Miller Harris Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris Figue Amère by Miller Harris Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris Cœur de Fleur by Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris La Fumée Ottoman by Miller Harris Terre de Bois by Miller Harris Rose en Noir by Miller Harris Fleur du Matin by Miller Harris Citron Citron by Miller Harris La Fumée Arabie by Miller Harris