Vetiver Insolent (2016)

Vetiver Insolent by Miller Harris

Vetiver Insolent is a popular perfume by Miller Harris for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamot, Black pepper, Elemi resin, Indian cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Lavender, Amber
Base Notes Base NotesHaitian vetiver, Tonka bean, Moss

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 01.09.2019

10.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Vetiver in the Christmas bakery
As a big fan of the Vetiver fragrance complex I was very much looking forward to the test of "Vetiver Insolent". I've been strolling around Miller Harris a long time. I would like to include one of the Londoners in my collection, just because of the incredibly beautiful flacon design with its mixture of impressively clear form and slightly playful graphic design. Beautiful!

But sei´s well, first of all the inner values count - and they don't come across as insolent, cheeky and impudent, but they do know how to confuse in a pleasant way. In the beginning, pepper rises into my nose, cardamom and already at the beginning a hint of dark vetiver. A mixture to which I can think of nothing better than to call it earthy-gourmandig - which actually fits!

In the heart, the scent increases considerably in sweetness, there are hints of Christmas baking, cardamom remains and it becomes cinnamon and gingerbread. The earthy vetiver of the opening retreats discreetly. The sweetness is a bit borderline for my nose, but just in the area of the pleasant... until in the drydown fresh, earthy vetiver determines the scent again and provides for a beautiful, male drydown, which you can still enjoy after 8 - 10 hours...

After three tests, this Miller Harris still hasn't become a purchase candidate, but I will take a look at the souk. Maybe I can get hold of a bottling to enjoy this very unique vetiver scent this winter still occasionally...
10.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

Well-bred vetiver
Today, contrary to my principles, I took the risk of blind buying and found that it can be worth breaking principles: I have found Miller Harris interesting for a long time, but due to the lack of local sources of supply (I live in Munich!), I could only test a few of the fragrances. Since vetiver scents usually work quite well for me, I took the opportunity today to get my first fragrance from Miller Harris. Since I regard fragrances as a total work of art, I think it is nice when the bottle, packaging and name correspond to my taste. The simple, elegant packaging and flacons with stylized flower and plant illustrations by Miller Harris appeal to me very much. The name "Vetiver Insolent", on the other hand, leaves me somewhat at a loss: What is said to be cheeky about this vetiver is not at all obvious to me. On the contrary: The vetiver has a wonderful buttery and nutty softness, as I have already smelled on Givenchys Vetyver. The only cheeky thing is the cardamom that flashes out again and again and sticks out your tongue when you don't look. But this impudence is definitely of the sympathetic kind. I also think I can smell a hint of anise and fennel, which is why the scent reminds me of liquorice, but definitely not one of the gourmand kind. It is these spices that remind me of the great Yohji Homme, who unfortunately was only granted a short existence. I'm curious how Vetiver Insolent will prove itself in everyday life, but my first impression makes me very optimistic
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Minigolf
Of "hunting trophies" and chance finds
Sometimes you hunt for months after a certain scent, rummage in perfumeries, the "souk" at Parfumo and elsewhere. I don't want to miss any opportunity to get to the coveted piece (I was like this with "Bandit" and "Sortilege", for example).
And sometimes lucky coincidence plays a role in discovering a fragrance whose existence we didn't know about yet.
That's how I felt about "Vetiver Insolent" by Miller Harris.
It was recently in the souk to find, I read the side of the fragrance through, found that he would be something for my nose, and made a trade request.
To my surprise came a positive answer, so "Vetiver Insolent" landed now with me and at my exchange smell now soon another "nose" enjoys.
So far, so good.... There are many vetiver scents now, most are good to very good, but often have one thing in common: the concentration on the earthy-green properties of the fragrance Vetiver root (acetate..) with some "companions" , which vary it slightly, from company to company slightly modified.
Big exceptions are rare, but there are "Vetiver Bourbon" by Oriza Legrand, "Encre Noire" by Lalique and now "Vetiver Insolent" by the English company Miller Harris.
And the latter has the unusually surprising charisma of a kind of fougeré with fresh herby-floral-green parts of lavender, a "Zwischenbau" of balsamic-resinous "Orient-Inslays", a powdery seeming iris aura that always reappears unexpectedly up to parts of spicy-peppery sprinkles.
This makes this "English" fragrance so versatile and exciting that I can discover other little surprises each time I wear it.
Even in the current "test session" I sniffed something new...
I seem to be waving a note of laurel, from afar, not really graspable.
Occasionally appearing briefly, only to withdraw like a phantom when I think I can grasp them.
I must still smell some times completely exactly, in order to be able to "comprehend" this smell really.
I really like it and it does.
Although I wasn't chasing him "like the devil behind the poor soul".
According to the motto: "Unvehofft comes often"....

by HsChen
by HsChen

Popular Miller Harris

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris La Fumée by Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris Noix de Tubéreuse by Miller Harris Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris Violet Ida by Miller Harris La Pluie by Miller Harris Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris Étui Noir by Miller Harris Figue Amère by Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent by Miller Harris Cœur de Fleur by Miller Harris Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris Rose en Noir by Miller Harris Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris La Fumée Arabie by Miller Harris La Fumée Ottoman by Miller Harris